PDA

View Full Version : Summer sleeping bag

mdehnart
04-19-2015, 23:20
I am looking into options for a new summer sleeping bag. I will be hiking from Springer to Fontana the middle of June through the first part of July. What do you all use and/or any suggestions? I'm one to be a 'warmer' sleeper also. Thanks.

Siestita
04-20-2015, 00:56
Any decent 'summer only' bag rated to about 40 degrees ought to work fine. The more you pay (and/or the tighter you're willing to be constricted as you sleep) the lighter the bag will be. Personally, even though I'm a bit of a cheapskate and also a highly mobile sleeper, I wouldn't buy a summer backpacking bag weighing more than about 2 pounds.

People will probably make differing recommendations to you depending on whether they are budget constrained, 'active' sleepers, and/or ultra light enthusiasts.

bigcranky
04-20-2015, 07:16
I got a 45-F rated down quilt and use it all summer long. Light, easy to pack, easy to sleep under, and warm enough even when the temps dip down into the 40s. There are lots of options, I got the Jacks R Better version.

daddytwosticks
04-20-2015, 07:16
I'm a cold sleeper and a very "active" sleeper. I love my lightweight down quilt for warm weather use. It's very easy to regulate your temperature using a quilt in the summertime IMHO. :)

mdehnart
04-20-2015, 09:00
Cool thanks for the info folks. I've been reading post with people talking about quilts, may research that option a bit more. Thanks again.

Turk6177
04-20-2015, 09:30
I own this one and think it is great. http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping-Bags&cat=ExtremeLite-Series

Dochartaigh
04-20-2015, 09:38
I'm on the quilt bandwagon too. Have a Hammock Gear 40º quilt (with 2 ounce overstuff) that I've brought down to 42º comfortably so far. It's been great even in hot summer weather too (where I just kinda use it as a stomach pillow or drape a corner over my torso).

Astro
04-20-2015, 16:27
I recently bought this. Requires some $$$, but I sure do like the 16oz.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=16

gbolt
04-20-2015, 18:23
Quilt Bandwagon as well (but I do Hang). I just purchased a 50* UGQ Flight Jacket that weights 10.35 oz, not including the shock cords that attach it to a pad, for $199 plus shipping. Super light and warm enough for Summer Hiking. Beautiful color choices as well. Mine is a wonderful Hunter Green.

Rolex
04-20-2015, 20:30
Quilt Bandwagon as well (but I do Hang). I just purchased a 50* UGQ Flight Jacket that weights 10.35 oz, not including the shock cords that attach it to a pad, for $199 plus shipping. Super light and warm enough for Summer Hiking. Beautiful color choices as well. Mine is a wonderful Hunter Green.

I have a marmot always summer that sounds close to what you want. It's a nice bag for the warmer nights.

Don H
04-21-2015, 07:37
Here's what I use for a summer bag, Montbell Hugger 800, #5

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=3212&p_id=2321163

AO2134
04-21-2015, 10:07
So my current sleeping bag, which I was using for four season backpacking was a Marmot Tretles 30. It was about $100.00 and is about 3.5 lbs. I have used in 20 degree weather without a problem. It was heavy and too warm for summer, early fall, late spring. So I bought an ozark 40 degree bag from walmart. It was 40$. It is under 2 lbs. It virtually has no fill (~.5 lbs). It is a square sleeping bag. I took it out 2 weeks ago on a fairly cold windy night on Rabun Bald. I was comfortable and the temp got down to mid 30's. I sleep very warm so it wasn't a big issue, but for a normal person, they'd likely freeze.

And last thing, I care about saving money vs saving weight, but I have learned that is just me.

Offshore
04-21-2015, 10:58
I own this one and think it is great. http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping-Bags&cat=ExtremeLite-Series

I have it too and it's great. It can also be unzipped into a quilt/comforter so there's a lot of flexibility in 26 ounces.

rickb
04-21-2015, 17:31
So I bought an ozark 40 degree bag from walmart. It was 40$. It is under 2 lbs. It virtually has no fill (~.5 lbs). It is a square sleeping bag. I took it out 2 weeks ago on a fairly cold windy night on Rabun Bald. I was comfortable and the temp got down to mid 30's. I sleep very warm so it wasn't a big issue, but for a normal person, they'd likely freeze.

And last thing, I care about saving money vs saving weight, but I have learned that is just me.

You also saved a few geese from something close to agony.

I am not a moralist about such things, but after googling up live plucking, China, and ethical down, I feel pretty good about doing without one of those magnificent Western Mountaineering bags.

Especially in in the summer when the weight penalty for going cheap and synthetic is far, far less than in the winter or even shoulder seasons.

nuknees
04-22-2015, 08:02
I use a REI Travel Sack Sleeping Bag

Offshore
04-22-2015, 08:34
You also saved a few geese from something close to agony.

I am not a moralist about such things, but after googling up live plucking, China, and ethical down, I feel pretty good about doing without one of those magnificent Western Mountaineering bags.

Especially in in the summer when the weight penalty for going cheap and synthetic is far, far less than in the winter or even shoulder seasons.

Yes, except if you actually contacted Western Mountaineering, they'd tell you: "Western Mountaineering have found that the best quality of down can be gathered in a manner that is considerably more humane with little or no direct interaction between the geese and man. The finest quality of down is the plumage which naturally falls from mature geese during a process called “moulting”. Since we are focused on making products with goose down, it was important that we found the best possible source which gathered the down naturally from mature healthy geese. We found this from a very unique and special supplier in Poland which collects our down from the nests of birds that are kept for breeding and live on rivers, lakes and open farm land, after the moulting periods which occur multiple times per year.The plumage that falls naturally is hand collected from the nests without disturbing the birds. We strongly support this approach and feel that it results in higher fill power since the down falls from mature healthy geese naturally, with no harm to the geese, and the perfectly developed, high quality large down clusters are collected while the geese are away from the sheltered nesting area."

And now Marmot: "As part of our policy for the humane treatment of animals, Marmot does not support the use of Down from live pluck or Foie Gras geese or ducks. Every year we require our suppliers to certify that they are in compliance with our animal rights policies."

It's complicated, so one can't paint with such a broad brush when it comes to down sourcing. If I were concerned with ethics of sourcing (which I am), I'd stay with the higher end manufacturers since this type of down collection adds cost and isn't feasible for value brands. When considering a manufacturer's product, its a fair question to ask a manufacturer about their specific policies. The ones without something to hide will be forthcoming - even proud of their policies.

As far as synthetics, you also need to consider the environmental lifecycle of the synthetic insulation - it starts with oil exploration, production and refining, then onto fiber manufacturing, and into landfills pretty much forever when useful life is over. Its not without its own impact.

rickb
04-22-2015, 20:57
It would be wonderful if Western Mountaineering mentioned any of that in their catalogue, or on their website, or on anything that was "over their signature" so to speak.

I was going to take your suggestion and ask them directly, but I couldn't find their email on their website, and I am too lazy to call and get past a customer service rep.

rickb
04-23-2015, 07:33
I just ordered one of these:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78008?moe=ordhistory&feat=WEB-od

It net my criteria of:

Good (but not great) weight @ 2.25 lbs for long
Semi rectangular -- this was important to me
35*
Good return policy
No need to hide the bill
No goose guilt

Of course the long was on back order but I trust LLBean that it will come when promised-- I am still waiting for a Jacket from Golite :-)

Next bag may well be a cold weather down bag, but only if I am real comfortable with the sourcing-- the more I read on that the more complicated (and muddled) it gets-- but seem like some of the powerhouses like TNF are moving the industry in a good direction-- even if they got som mud on thier face and are not quite there yet.

HooKooDooKu
04-23-2015, 09:08
My current favorite bag is the Mountain Hardware Ultralamina. It's a synthetic bag that comes in 45º, 32º, 20º and 0º ratings.

The 32º bag is only 2lbs and currently on sale at Sierra Trading Post. If you can use one of their many 35% off coupons, this bag could be had for less than $150.
Because it's so light, I use my 32º bag for most of the season that I hike (March - Nov). I only switch to my heavier 20º bag when I expect to encounter temperatures in the 30s.
I've looked at the 45º when I've seen it on sale. But it's only about a 1/2 lb lighter. With the 32º bag at only 2lbs, I haven't found it in me to spend another $150 to save the 1/2 lb.

Just Tom
I have this bag...or the version they put out about 3 years ago. I like it a lot, it compresses well and is comfortable. But I don't find I can push it below its rating. It is pretty roomy though so I will add in an RAB down liner if it threatens to go below freezing.

Just Tom
I have this bag...or the version they put out about 3 years ago. I like it a lot, it compresses well and is comfortable. But I don't find I can push it below its rating. It is pretty roomy though so I will add in an RAB down liner if it threatens to go below freezing.

The LL Bean one I mean...