PDA

View Full Version : Newb tarp questions......

thecyclops
04-20-2015, 17:48
I have a 10X10 snugpak tarp and have pitched it several ways on the ground and "flying" it in different configurations also.(Im a tarp camper,not hammock)
When flying it,I have several times,in decent rains and winds,pitched it with either bungees (A quality thick bungee,from nite-ize for example) on either side,from a tree, to act as the ridgeline and guy the rest out taught,or run a normal ridgeline with paracord and use bungees on 2/4 of the tieouts and guy out the rest.Everything worked fine (even seemed to work as a shock absorber) ,is much easier to string/hang this way and I have ,so far,had no issues.....Tell me why or why not I cant hang a tarp in this manner,as quick as this setup is with them,there has to be a reason folks dont hang this way.
Thanks in advance.

fastfoxengineering
04-20-2015, 18:14
People been doing it for a while in a different form.

On sil nylon tarps, a lot of people like to use a loop of shockcord attached to the tie off points then regular guy line to the stake. They act as an automatic tarp tensioner and there's been a lot of success using this method.

If you want to go lighter, a loop of 1/8 shockcord and some 1.25mm zing it works great!

*This systems works best with nylon fabrics because it tends to stretch sag overtime/when it rains, etc. Cuben Fiber doesn't stretch like sil nylon, so the shockcord would practically be pointless.

Good luck!

thecyclops
04-20-2015, 18:25
People been doing it for a while in a different form.

On sil nylon tarps, a lot of people like to use a loop of shockcord attached to the tie off points then regular guy line to the stake. They act as an automatic tarp tensioner and there's been a lot of success using this method.

If you want to go lighter, a loop of 1/8 shockcord and some 1.25mm zing it works great!

*This systems works best with nylon fabrics because it tends to stretch sag overtime/when it rains, etc. Cuben Fiber doesn't stretch like sil nylon, so the shockcord would practically be pointless.

Good luck!

Awesome,thank you.
Well Im lighter than I ever have been,prob around 18 without food/water.I don't stress on weight too bad,and Im thinking the extra 6-8 ounces for a decent set of bungees,that work fantastic (again,unless Im missing something) is worth the weight.