PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Standing Indian Campground?

LostandFound
04-20-2015, 19:00
Planning a section from Springer to Standing Indian Campground in late May. Can I leave my car at Standing Indian Campground safely? Does anyone have any recommendations on a shuttle from SI Campground to Springer? How is the hike? Highlights? Good resupply spots? Thanks.

saltysack
04-20-2015, 19:06
Leave car just outside campground at back country kiosk....I've never had a problem there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
04-20-2015, 20:00
Yes, there is parking at the campground, it's fairly obvious when you get down there. You could chat with the campground hosts and mention your car and how long you'll be out.

Thorfinn
04-20-2015, 22:16
I just did that section as day hikes. Trails not bad; mostly very smooth; only a couples of really steep places. I stayed in Helen, GA and Franklin, NC. In Helen, Betty's Country Store is the best grocery store I have ever seen. Very hiker friendly and, I believe, they will shuttle you from trail snd back. Good information can be had at Mountain Crossing Outfitters at Neel's Gap. A couple of hostels have regular pick-ups at Dicks Creek Gap (Top of Georgia is one). Hiawassee is another possible stop/resupply but it looks boring compared to Helen. Anyhow, there's not much between Hiawassee and Franklin. The ATC website has info on shuttlers. I will try to find the name of one that was recommended to me locally. Since you are going to leave your car at Standing Indian, you could go to Three Eagles Outfitters in Franklin (just off the highway) and find someone there.

Good luck

joshuasdad
04-20-2015, 22:41
Leave car just outside campground at back country kiosk....I've never had a problem there.

I parked my car 2 weeks there. Based on the signs, greatest chance of vandalism appears to be from bears...

As for the hike, let's just say that Georgia is my 14th favorite state on the AT...

Violent Green
04-22-2015, 13:12
I'm doing Springer to Deep Gap(just shy of SI) in a couple weeks. Using Sally and Joyce for a shuttle service.

Ryan

hikernutcasey
04-23-2015, 16:43
There are plenty of shuttlers around there. As someone else said, call the hostels nearby or check the ATC shuttle provider list. I'm doing Neels Gap to NOC starting Memorial Day weekend. Maybe I'll see you out there.

saltysack
04-23-2015, 17:03
I'm doing Springer to Deep Gap(just shy of SI) in a couple weeks. Using Sally and Joyce for a shuttle service.

Ryan

How much $$ for that one? In hoping to do woody to deep gap in a few weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk