PDA

View Full Version : Must Have AT Videos

2009ThruHiker
11-09-2005, 09:02
Looking for some opinions on the best, must-have AT video out there. And why you think so.

Smile
11-09-2005, 09:34
TREK.
IMO: This is by far the most complete documented hike out there, from start to finish, four guys and the fun/hardships along the way. I've seen every other one you can get your hands on so far ( even the older footage stuff), and the others are a little more "instructional" going from state to state telling 'about' the trail, several go 'on trail' with a few hikers, but there is no character development and many questions left hanging about their experiences - you are left wanting to know more. There is another recent one done by Lion King I believe - great DVD, but to be honest - the 'narrator' sounded like a highschool teaching film, the hikers were 'commenting' but you never got to go through the hike with them, otherwise very well done. TREK was well shot, fresh and it is a great "fix" for when you want to hike but can't or are just waiting for the day to come when you will leave to go hiking. You can check out the trailer here and decide for yourself.

Smile
11-09-2005, 09:37
Whoops, forgot that link....CLick here to see the trailer for TREK! (http://www.cirquevideo.com/)

Well worth the time, they also did a bike trip video cross country, CA - VA I believe, this one is a bit different from TREK though in it's style. They also have some other very cool clients, including a well known American Indian author, trailer for that is on their site too. I noticed some very cool photos from climbing trips in the Dolomites, these guys are all over the place and the site is just a cool site by guys who hike, bike, cliimb, bungee jump footage etc.

JimSproul
11-09-2005, 10:08
I agree, TREK is my favorite. If I want to show hiking to non-hikers I like Lion King's "Wlaking with Freedom", great sounds track.

Almost There
11-09-2005, 10:25
I have Trek, Walking with Freedom, Appalachian Impressions, and one other one that escapes my naming. Here's my opinion on them all.

Walking with Freedom is visually a great film, however, for someone who has never hiked I gotta say that this movie leaves alot to be desired, visually it's very nice, and the music isn't bad, but it doesn't give much to understanding what the trail is like, it almost runs off of the assumption that you have prior knowledge about the trail. It also seemed like Lion King was letting you know what a great guy and hiker he was. Now I have never met him and have absolutely zero agenda, I'm just saying the impression I was left with after watching the film.

Trek was a great film, one I enjoyed wholeheartedly. The viewer is left with more of a human feel for the movie and for the AT journey. The visuals are still great and I have to put it neck and neck with the next movie.

Appalachian Impressions I feel is a must for anyone thinking about thruhiking or section hiking, if you know nothing about the trail then this is a film you must have. Mark Flagler(Carolina Cruiser) created a great film, The DVD set is two DVDs split up into the southern AT and northern AT, both discs are set up so that the chapters are separate states. He give good history on the trail, as well as information on the current state of the trail, as he follows several thru hikers all the way to Katahdin. He interviews them throughout and his outtakes are hilarious. Although the music is mostly instrumental, it is awesome as well. I get psyched to hike everytime I watch it!

If you have never hiked get Appalachian Impressions, if you have then go for Trek...and if you have the money to burn I would go with both of these.

Ender
11-09-2005, 11:35
The show Trailside on PBS did a show following a group of AT hikers a number of years ago that I really enjoyed. You can probably still get it on DVD or VHS if you search the internet.

EDIT: Just found a place that sells it...

http://www.travelvideostore.com/index.php?cPath=808_1259

It's about a third of the way down the page. It was made back in 1995... didn't realize it was so long ago. But I still watch it every now and then and still enjoy it.

PartnerShip
11-09-2005, 20:10
MY BOYFRIEND AND i ARE IN OUR LATE 40'S AND ARE PLANING A THRU HIKE BEGINNING IN MARCH 2006
I BOUGHT THIS DVD TREK OFF AMAZON AND WATCH IT CONSTANTLY
IT IS GREAT AND INFORMATIVE AND INSPIRING
WE WILL TAKE THE MONTHS OF JAN AND FEB OFF FROM WORK AND STAY WITH FAMILY AND THEN BEGIN
WE NEED TRAINING SO WE LIVE IN ASHEVILLE, NC AND TODAY WENT TO HOT SPRINGS AND HIKED ABOUT 3 MILES ON THE AT AND IT WAS GREAT EXCEPT I 9 DEBBIE0 HAD TROUBLE WITH THE HEIGHT OF THE STEEP TRAIL THAT CAME ON QUICKLY AFTER A FLAT WALK BY THE RIVER SO I HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO
OVERCOMING FEAR OF HEIGHTS BUT I AM DETERMINED
JSUT DECIDED TO SELL MOST OF OUR STUFF AND DO THIS AND THEN START OVER
WE BOTH JUST WAIT TABLES NOW SO NOT LOSING ANYTHING AND BESIDES WE WALK ABOUT 5- 10 MILES EVERY DAY INSIDE WAITING TABLES AND THOUGHT WHY NOT GIVE IT A TRY
FOUND THIS BOARD AND LOOK FORWARD TO POSTING AND BEING A PART OF IT

justusryans
11-09-2005, 20:36
please don't yell

justusryans
11-09-2005, 20:37
and welcome to the club...

max patch
11-09-2005, 20:59
"Must have" video?

In terms of planning for your trip the answer is easy.... None of them.

Now if you want to watch them for entertainment that something else. And like movies, everybody has different opinions of whats good and what isn't.

Almost There
11-09-2005, 21:57
Well let's be honest. The only way to really plan for your hike is to get out on the trail with your gear and see what works and what doesn't. Each person is different and so results will vary. But some videos can stoke the fires and can teach some info.

Boo8meR
11-09-2005, 22:40
I actually just bought TREK within the past 30 minutes. And I plan to begin it within the next 30 minutes. I'll let you know what I think about it for what it's worth.

justusryans
11-09-2005, 22:46
I'm getting ready for South Park. A new episode tonight! :D

Skyline
11-09-2005, 23:12
For something different, not a hike journal but more like a dramatic feature film, "Southbounders" is very well made even if there are a few location and mileage inaccuracies to nitpick about. I just saw it tonight.

Boo8meR
11-10-2005, 01:23
Ok, I just got done watching TREK. I highly recommend it. To anyone, regardless of if you've done it before, or if you're just planning a hike (like myself). It's a great movie and I can't say enough about it.

Smile
11-10-2005, 08:27
I use it as a pro-hiking tool for my non-hiking friends, they relate to the adventiure! I am really looking forward to seeing Southbounders too, sounds like a pretty cool movie!

PartnerShip
11-10-2005, 09:56
Sorry did not mean to use all caps.
Thanks for the welcome to the board
It is very informative
Lots of nice people here with lots of ideas and experience

justusryans
11-10-2005, 20:59
Yes there are! Except for us old cranky ones!! :D

Jeff
11-11-2005, 08:51
Southbounders has just an average storyline....but with outstanding footage of the trail, especially lots of shelter scenes. If you have hiked the trail it will bring back lots of good memories.

The late Keith Shaw has maybe 4-5 minutes of great scenes!!!!