PDA

View Full Version : Best quilt temperature for three season use

snow93
04-20-2015, 21:41
Looking for an idea on what the best quilt temperature might be. I am between 20 and 30.

MuddyWaters
04-20-2015, 22:33
Depends on where you will use it.

snow93
04-20-2015, 23:59
Mostly PA and parts of the southern AT.

Studlintsean
04-21-2015, 08:04
I just received a 40 deg EE quilt that I plan on using (roughly) April- October. Late October- March I will use my 20 deg Western Mountaineering bag. I can't comment on the temp rating yet but from what I have read the EE quilts seems to be pretty true to the rating. I am located in VA but I would use a similar approach in PA.

GBarron
04-21-2015, 08:30
In the Canadian Rockies, I've never been cold with an EE quilt good down to freezing. 500 g.

Water Rat
04-21-2015, 14:12
I love my 20* EE RevX quilt for 3 season (4th season spent in warmer climate, still using the quilt) use. It has been my experience that it is easier to cool off if I get too warm, than it is to try and warm up if I have become too cold. I opted for the warmer quilt to extend the length of my backpacking season. The difference in weight is minimal when it comes to getting a good night of sleep on a cold night, and totally worth it to me.

snow93
04-21-2015, 18:15
I was leaning towards a 20 degree. I like the comment about cooling off vs staying warm.

Dholmblad
04-21-2015, 19:02
I picked up a 20* EE for three season use on the AT. I live in virginia and do most of my hiking there. Probably too warm for summer though. Luckily its light so I dont mind carrying it even in the summer.

Namtrag
04-28-2015, 16:08
I use a 20* EE as well, and am from Virginia. In the summer, I just stick my legs out or move the quilt off my upper body if I get warm, and so far so good. I concur with the above advice that it is easier to cool off in a 20 than it is to get warmer in a 30.

Rex Clifton
04-29-2015, 20:43
20 degree is good. I have an UGQ Flight jacket. With a quilt you can vent in warmer weather.

Deacon
04-30-2015, 05:37
I'm always looking for ways to lighten my load, but I refuse to go any lighter with my quilt. I've tried 40*, even30* quilts. I always come back to my 20*, regardless of the season (except winter).

FarmerChef
04-30-2015, 08:28
I use a 20 degree quilt and have enjoyed it in all the seasons. The only tough part is when it's summer and the temps don't drop down below 80 degrees at night. Oh and here's the only catch I've found with quilting in the warmer months, bugs. I haven't hiked with a bug bivy or net so if I don't have the quilt on me I get bit. Not an issue if you're tenting or have something to keep the bugs off you. Either way, enjoy that quilt! It's made a world of difference for me and my family.

johnnybgood
04-30-2015, 09:17
I use a Burrow 20* quilt with insulating pad for 3 season camping and find it works well..
There's so much more flexability with quilts as well as weight savings.

Cadenza
05-08-2015, 03:17
Concur!
The Hammock Gear 20* Burrow is an ideal 3-season quilt, easily vented in warm weather, and good to below freezing.
I think it's probably the best all-around choice for most people. Lightweight and versatile.

In winter I switch to UGQ 0* Renegade.
These two are all I need in the way of top quilts.
As mentioned in previous posts I also really like the combination of the Feathered Friends "Winter Wren" 25* sleeping bag AND a top quilt. The Winter Wren has zippered arm holes and a draw cord cinch foot box. It can be opened up and you can walk around camp wearing the sleeping bag like a down parka. Comes in handy for midnight runs due to an old man prostate and a little girl bladder. :p
The sleeping bag by itself is not quite enough in bitter cold weather but it keeps you from freezing on brief jaunts outside. Once back in the bed, cinch the foot up, pull your arms back inside, and pull the top quilt back over. Within seconds it's snug as a bug in a rug.

For underquilts with the hammock I use three, depending on weather and season.
summer - HG 20* 3/4 length Phoenix
spring and fall - UGQ 7/8 length 20* Zeppelin
winter - UGQ full length 0* Zeppelin.