PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a BV 500 in a ULA Circuit?

saltysack
04-21-2015, 08:20
Just got my BV500.....damn its big....trying to figure best way to pack it for my sept JMT hike....so far I've got my tent(LHG solong6) horizontal at bottom of pack with my compactor bag on top of tent...I can turn can horizontal but it's a tight squeeze...vertical is to tall...don't want to blow out pack seems....curious what others have had best luck with...going to do a few AT shakedown hikes before with this heavy a!! Can....I hate this can and haven't even used it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
04-21-2015, 18:42
I doubt the can is going horizontal
Vertical works
Try putting can on top of clothing/insulation, then shove other stuff down side of pack next to can.
Things might need like raingear on top.

cxrcr
04-21-2015, 20:40
I used a Circuit last year with the same BV500 for the JMT last year. I put almost everything inside a compactor bag. Quilt on the bottom, BV500 on top of that with insulation layer and sleeping base layers on either side of it. Zpacks hexamid twin on top of everything but outside the compactor bag. Rain gear in outside mesh pocket with maps in ziplock, stove/pot in one side pocket and 1L gatorade bottle in the other. Plenty of spare room at the top of the bag that I started to leave the quilt less compressed on the bottom of the bag to fill it up better.

saltysack
04-21-2015, 21:47
Dumb question but u didn't put can in compactor bag....

fredmugs
04-22-2015, 10:03
Not familiar with that pack but can you keep it empty (or put something really light in it) and strap it on top of the pack? I saw a few people doing that when I did my hike.

Lyle
04-22-2015, 11:37
What others have said. Clothes/sleeping gear on bottom, BV Standing above that, other things stuffed around the BV. As you consume your food, many things can pack inside the BV. Also, standing the BV allows you to open it to access food without fully unpacking.

SouthMark
04-22-2015, 12:08
Ditto to most of what others did. I put my down goodness (under quilt and top quilt) on bottom, BV500 standing vertical next, packed my sleeping clothes and hammock on each side of the BV500. Most everything else fit in the outside pockets.

saltysack
04-22-2015, 13:53
I put all things I want to stay dry in compactor bag. So don't have much else other than my neoair xlite...I think I've got it....
Solong6 at bottom, next compactor bag with all sleep gear and dry cloths. Last can on top on compactor bag with neoair folded against can against my back....

Maui Rhino
04-22-2015, 14:34
I like to keep my tent near the top of my pack, so I don't have to unpack everything to get to it. Last August, as I descended from Muir Hut SOBO, it was obvious that a storm was building in the valley below me. My goal was to set up for the next pass the next day, and my bad knees make miles-long descents slow and painful, so I needed to go as far as I could before the train hit. I could see the lightning flashing, and each boom of thunder seemed to roll on for minutes as it echoed off the valley walls. When it started to look like going around the next little bend in the valley would put me right in the storm, I started looking for a campsite. Of course, now that I really needed a good spot, I had to hike another 20minutes to find one that was both flat and not in an area where water would pool. I finally saw a halfway decent spot, and dropped my pack. As I pulled out my tent, the first drops began to fall. By the time I had the first two stakes in, the sprinkle turned to a hard downpour. I set my tent up in record time, literally threw my pack in, and dove in, boots and all.... All in under two minutes from first seeing that spot. If my tent had been packed on the bottom, everything would have gotten soaked as I dug my tent out. My advice is sleeping bag/insulation on bottom, bear can on top of that, and tent/tarp and rain gear on top or beside the bear can, where it can be accessed without dumping everything. I fold my sleeping pad and place that against my back to help cushion the bear can. I started out carrying my can vertically, because it barely fit horizontally and I was worried about my pack seams. However, I soon switched to carrying my can horizontally (much more comfortable). I just took reasonable care when loading my pack and my pack seams held up fine.

jimmyjam
04-22-2015, 14:43
I would find a way to carry the tent on the outside of the pack. There's no reason to carry it inside your pack. I keep mine and my rain gear in the outside mesh pockets- SMD Starlite pack.

saltysack
04-22-2015, 15:02
Tent not in compactor bag...only reason at bottom fits horizontally so can can be in center of pack for better balance. Plan to do a few shake down hikes with it...all gear is mostly my std go to gear for AT except the bear can...

saltysack
04-22-2015, 15:06
I would find a way to carry the tent on the outside of the pack. There's no reason to carry it inside your pack. I keep mine and my rain gear in the outside mesh pockets- SMD Starlite pack.

I feel safer with tent inside...due to abrasion or loss...it fits in side pockets...lil tight in back mesh with can inside..

MuddyWaters
04-23-2015, 06:56
There is an advantage to having tent on top, or outside of pack , when you go to setup, especially in rain.

saltysack
04-23-2015, 09:55
Thx I packed bearvault in compactor bag w all sleep and down cloths around...folded neo air flat to provide alittle cushion to keep the round can off back and flat. Tent on top of can....I could put tent in side pocket but about 10" would be sticking out....lil nervous of falling out..... could use a small beener to secure to pack in event it fell from pocket. Thx sll

sintixerr
04-30-2015, 17:28
FWIW, the Bearvault fits in the back of the Circuit, if you don't want to mess with it (as does, for that matter, the bearikade expedition)... I tent to hike like that, with my tent near the top, but everything else in one or more dry sacks....

saltysack
04-30-2015, 21:45
FWIW, the Bearvault fits in the back of the Circuit, if you don't want to mess with it (as does, for that matter, the bearikade expedition)... I tent to hike like that, with my tent near the top, but everything else in one or more dry sacks....

In the back mesh?

sintixerr
04-30-2015, 23:47
In the back mesh?

Yep. Both are a tight fit, but I've done a full load out with both the bear vault and the bearikade in the back mesh - that's some amazing mesh. Whether you go that route or put them into the main bag is probably a matter of style and how you're weather protecting your other stuff, but just thought you might want to know it can work that way with the circuit.

sintixerr
04-30-2015, 23:50
Also, that's how I plan on doing the JMT when I start in July: I have the circuit, a bearikade, and the SoLong...actually, here, if you're interested: http://lighterpack.com/r/vavoh

gbolt
05-01-2015, 07:40
I just purchased and received a new ULA Ohm 2.0. In the packing directions (that are generic for three packs = Ohm, Circuit and CDT) it was stated that the packs are actually tapered to hold the Bearikade in an upright position in the pack. It was suggested that quilts or sleeping bags go in first then the bear vault on top with everything else around and on top. Just thought it was interesting that it is part of the instructions received inside the shipping box; for what it's worth.

saltysack
05-01-2015, 09:22
I just purchased and received a new ULA Ohm 2.0. In the packing directions (that are generic for three packs = Ohm, Circuit and CDT) it was stated that the packs are actually tapered to hold the Bearikade in an upright position in the pack. It was suggested that quilts or sleeping bags go in first then the bear vault on top with everything else around and on top. Just thought it was interesting that it is part of the instructions received inside the shipping box; for what it's worth.

Seems to fit good like this....I put my neoair xlite between my back and the bv500....hope to do a shake down in month or two to try out...

tuswm
05-16-2015, 10:51
I have the OHM. I pack the bear can vertically

10-K
05-16-2015, 11:22
The only ULA pack that'll hold a BV-500 horizontal is the Catalyst.

saltysack
05-17-2015, 08:55
Thx all...I decided to return the bv500 and pay the $45 to just rent a Bearikade weekender...lil smaller and lighter

Lyle
05-17-2015, 10:11
The only ULA pack that'll hold a BV-500 horizontal is the Catalyst.

Or, for us "early adopters of ULA greatness" the P2. That is what I use when I carry the BV-500. It will hold the BV in either orientation, but I prefer vertical for the reasons I posted above.

10-K
05-17-2015, 10:15
How long since the P2 has been for sale from ULA?

Lyle
05-17-2015, 12:45
How long since the P2 has been for sale from ULA?

Not sure, I think I bought mine in 2004, maybe 2003. I believe it was 2005 or 2006 when it was replaced with the Catalyst.

Interesting aside: Last summer I spoke with Chris at ULA. When he found out I was planning to use my P2 for a JMT hike, he told me it was a great choice. In fact, he said that they had recently had a request by a group of women to build 5 P2s in Pink. He said they pulled out the old patterns and made the packs to order, said they were to be used for a PCT thru hike. I thought that was a pretty responsive company. So to answer your question specifically, it may still be available under the right circumstances. :)

I generally use the Ohm 2 now, but when winter hiking or carrying the Bear Vault, the P2 is ideal.

10-K
05-17-2015, 12:55
I use an Ohm 2 as well - great pack. I'm taking a Circuit on the CDT and also have 3 Catalysts.

I also have Gossamer Gear, zPacks, and Six Moon Design packs but I always come back to ULA.

saltysack
05-17-2015, 13:25
I use an Ohm 2 as well - great pack. I'm taking a Circuit on the CDT and also have 3 Catalysts.

I also have Gossamer Gear, zPacks, and Six Moon Design packs but I always come back to ULA.

Thanks 10K you just save me several hundred dollars. My circuit has been awesome I was thinking about is the zpacks arc blast but the more I think about it there's no need.....[emoji1] I use my circuit four seasons and works great for roll

slbirdnerd
06-11-2015, 12:49
Not familiar with that pack but can you keep it empty (or put something really light in it) and strap it on top of the pack? I saw a few people doing that when I did my hike.

Hmmm. Interesting thought. I suppose you could keep your food in an Opsak in your pack while you're hiking (prevent food from smelling up your pack), then stick it in the BV at camp? Can anyone convince me why this isn't a good idea?