PDA

View Full Version : Crews rescue hiker from Tray Mountain

Semodex
04-21-2015, 13:43
Didn't know if anyone had heard about this. I love our local rescue people...

From AccessWDUN on April 20th:

HELEN - An injured male hiker had to rescued from the top of Tray Mountain Monday.
White County Public Safety Spokeswoman Ana Newberry said the 9-1-1 dispatch center received the call at 10:30 a.m. According to information received the patient, who suffered a fractured ankle, was 1.5 miles east of the Tray Mountain Shelter.
Personnel from White County Fire, White County EMS, Helen Fire, Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Habersham County Fire, and Towns County Fire responded to the call due to the location.
Newberry said Helen Fire and White County EMS made access to the patient by foot around 12:18 p.m.
A DNR helicopter was requested to assist.
DNR rangers stood by at the top of the mountain for a long-line rescue, with another DNR ranger at Unicoi State Park at the landing
zone, White County Fire also had personnel at the LZ.
According to Newberry, due to weather conditions that included dangerous thunderstorms popping up during the afternoon, the patient was flown in a rescue basket to Unicoi State Park where White County EMS personnel accepted the patient and transported him by ambulance to Northeast Georgia Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.
Approximately 27 public safety personnel responded the call, which ended about 4:15 p.m.

Slo-go'en
04-21-2015, 13:57
From comments I've been reading on TJ, all the rain and all the traffic has made the trail a slippery mud path and lots of people have been falling down and getting hurt to one degree or another. Getting a fractured ankle isn't good.

full conditions
04-21-2015, 14:01
From comments I've been reading on TJ, all the rain and all the traffic has made the trail a slippery mud path and lots of people have been falling down and getting hurt to one degree or another. Getting a fractured ankle isn't good.
Muddy indeed - I day hiked from Yellow Creek Gap to Fontana Dam on Sunday and the trail was the worst I've ever seen in this area - like a miles-long slip and slide.

Semodex
04-21-2015, 14:05
My family loves to climb up to Wild Cat mountain (Whitley Gap Shelter side-trail) but won't if it has rained in the past 24 hours...red clay is horrible.

FatMan
04-21-2015, 15:55
The SAR folks here in GA are top notch. Right here in Suches I know many volunteer folks who go out in the worst of conditions and help hikers often. I have no doubt that the White County folks are just as dedicated.

And yes, the trail is a muddy bog in many places. We had 3+ inches of rain here at Grassy Gap on Sunday.

saltysack
04-21-2015, 16:05
Sounds like micro spikes might be worth it for more than ice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Ply
04-21-2015, 16:05
The Ga SAR folks are the best. My grandson broke his leg on the Chattooga River Trail last year and the crew that gave up their time to come to his aid in the pouring rain were great and very professional.

Fredt4
04-21-2015, 21:19

My hiking poles helped me avoid slipping & sliding a lot. Still had a few falls, but the poles did help.