PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a New Pack - pref. Osprey Aether 60 Large

SurfinBirdman
04-21-2015, 13:59
Hi All,

I've got an old heavy Kelty (weighing in around 7.5 lbs) which also really isn't the most comfortable. I'm on quite a budget and will stick with this for the time being, but if anyone is looking to offload an Osprey Aether 60 or similar, let me know!

-SurfinBirdman

ekeverette
04-21-2015, 18:40
i have a osprey 70 aether...... its a tad heavy, 5 lbs. I've hiked appox 700 miles with it, but its very comfortable. you want go wrong with the 60

albersmt
04-22-2015, 16:56
I have a Gregory Contour 60 size Medium I thinking of trading out. Its like new, only two test hikes. I have broad shoulders and it seems to be cutting into them. Otherwise I like the pack. Big enough for my bear can. Can be priced to sell if I can recoup some of what I got into it. I'm not smart enough to test run at full price from REI apparently.

adrnlnjnke
04-22-2015, 20:32
I have an Osprey Exos 58. New with tags I can sell. Size large. It's 61L and little over 2 1/2 lbs.

SurfinBirdman
04-22-2015, 20:51
@ekeverette, Are you looking to sell or just telling me it's a great pack?

And I've never tried the Gregory Contour, but when i tried the exos on the waist dug in a little too much.

albersmt
04-23-2015, 15:14
The Gregory is available at REI if you want to try one out. I just so happened to pick it up online for a better deal. Its like new if you are interested. I did edit the original post because I believe mine is a 60 and not a 70. Can verify if you are interested and also noted the size as a medium.

magic_game03
04-23-2015, 16:22
First, I'm a big Osprey fanatic. Probably had about half a dozen of them over the last decade. When I find someone in need I'll give them an old one so that I have an excuse to go buy a new one (sorry, all out of giveaways right now.) IMO, the best pack ever built was the '03-'05 model Osprey Aether 60. All the redesigns have changed the pack enough that I no longer desire the Aether model any more.

Interestingly enough Osprey has a low end model that is usually not stocked on the shelf (order online) that is nearly identical to the '03-'05 model Aether 60. It's called the Osprey Volt. Most packs retail between $300-$400 but the Volt retails at about $180. If you wait till REI has a 20% coupon, it brings the price down to about $155 after taxes. I understand that you are probably on a tight budget but if you could save enough to splurge about $155 bucks for a brand new pack, this is it!

First, it's Osprey ('nuff said but I'll keep on going). Second, it's bomb proof and as sturdy as anything else they make. Third, it's Osprey so it's guaranteed for life (trust, I've sent enough packs back to them to say that guarantee is 100% legit.) Fourth, I've removed my top pack so my new pack weights in at under 3lbs (a little heavier than a UL bag but like I said, it's bomb-proof.) And Finally, I use it! :)

Anyway, it could be an option. They are fairly new to the market so I don't think it will be easy finding a used one but it is a pack for life, for a whopping $155.

ekeverette
04-23-2015, 16:27
no, I don't want to sell surfinbird, was just saying that osprey is a great pack.

SurfinBirdman
04-23-2015, 16:39
Interesting, the volt is definitely intriguing... I really liked the hipbelt of the newest aether, any thoughts on how the volt compares?

magic_game03
04-23-2015, 19:31
Yea, that's going to be a a judgement call. Osprey has always made thick wide hip belts so I find the Volt comfortable.

You pose a good question that I can't answer so let me respond with two questions :)

First, if you buy a used Aether pack can they remold the hip belt to fit you after it's been deformed? (I bet they can but it's best to call then to find out before you get one with a hip belt made custom fit for somebody else)
Second, how much better does an Osprey molded hip belt preform over a standard Osprey fixed hip belt, and is that difference worth $200.

It's definitely worth checking out if hip belts are a problem for you. I've heard of people having to drop off the trail just because of a hip belt, but for me it's never really been a problem.

Dufferman
04-24-2015, 09:29
I have a Volt 75 that I will sell for $110 (including shipping to CONUS). I used it once on a shakedown hike and I'm switching to a Zpacks. The pack is fine, I just wanted to go a different route. If interested I can send photos.

SurfinBirdman
04-24-2015, 16:17
@Magic_game03 - Those are some good things to think about. I generally keep a fairly low packweight (sub-30) so hip belt SHOULDNT be an issue, but i honestly havent done enough backpacking to tell. Most of my outdoors experience has been in kayaks and those fit quite a bit different than a pack :)

@Dufferman - That Volt 75 looks very promising. I wish i could find a place to try it on locally, REI has it as online only. It does look like amazon has it with free shipping... so i might try ordering it just to try it on.

q-tip
04-25-2015, 13:49
You might look at the Granite Gear Crown VC. Two lbs, 60 L, $200 new. Best pack I own....

Aaron l
04-27-2015, 06:51
Checkout the Boreas packs, cheaper in general and highly functional, they just came out with a heavier duty pack called the halo, same specs as the atmos 65

jgamez94
04-28-2015, 02:08
Zpacks Dyneema X 26 w/Arc Frame- I purchased the pack recently on BPL. I then sent it to Joe at Zpacks to have him add an Arc Frame, Adjustable Torso Height with Load Lifter Straps, key pocket, and new top strap. The pack can adjust from 16-20 inches in torso height. The waist belt is a small, but it extends up to 40in. After all the changes the pack weighs at 18.5 oz on my scale. It has minimal use on it, and still looks brand new.3064330644

SurfinBirdman
04-29-2015, 20:55
@Dufferman - I'm interested in the volt 75. I was able to try on a volt 60 and it fit pretty well. If still available can you PM me some pics?