PDA

View Full Version : rhododrendron attacks

Crazy_Al
11-09-2005, 12:17
I have heard of instances of rhododrendron attacks on the AT.
Is this a significant risk ??? How does a newby AT hiker prepare for rhododrendron attacks ??? Are the attacks more common in certain seasons ???

Lone Wolf
11-09-2005, 12:19
Machete and a flame thrower.

The Solemates
11-09-2005, 13:10
what the @#%^ is a rhodadendron attack? the only thing i can think of is burning rhodadendron can lead to pulmonary congestion.

Stoker53
11-09-2005, 13:13
For years Rhododrendon has been an oppressed minority, esp in the South. The lucky few live in towns / cities where they survive as landscaping for wealthy Republican "robber barrons" but the vast majority are forced to live in the forrests where they lack education opportunities that most of us take for granted. These forrest dwellers suffer disease and malnourishment due to the poor living conditions as well. Families cling together on the banks of streams with the poorest of the poor forced high into the dry ridges. It's pitiful really.

The forrest Rhodies look upon the landscape Rhodies with scorn and resentment. I'm not surprised that radical elements of the forrest Rhodies are fighting back.

sherrill
11-09-2005, 13:40
Watch out for roving gangs near Max Patch. They call themselves tunnels.

MDSHiker
11-09-2005, 13:46
LOL Ya'll be funny...

Tractor
11-09-2005, 14:00
Rhodie attacks are more common when the hiker gets between the mother and the sprouts. Also when hiker has their water supply exposed in the dryer areas. "Tunnels" have been known to "lift" a water container or two but reported injuries have been minor in these cases.......so far.

Gray Blazer
11-09-2005, 14:28
Don't feed the Rhodies, except Yogi.

Kerosene
11-09-2005, 17:44
I think that there is sufficient evidence to move this thread to the Hiking Humor forum. Perhaps Wildlife, or we could create a new one around Keeping Safe.

Skidsteer
11-09-2005, 19:21
I've heard that it's only the young ones, out to make a name for themselves, that you have to watch out for. Of couse, I don't mean to imply that all young Rhodies are holligans and ne'er-do-wells; some are just bored and looking for some excitement. After all, shrubs will be shrubs.
Cheers,

Mouse
11-09-2005, 19:53
I can attest to Rhodie hostility! :datz On my throughhike I would cautiously make my way through the aforesaid "tunnels" when without warning or provocation they pummeled me with great masses of heavy wet snow!:eek:

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 09:04
Mouse- Wet snow, hell, I went thru just as the sun was hitting the Rhodies after freezing rain the night before and got showered with shards of ice! :)

Big Dawg
11-11-2005, 00:37
I hate when they reach down, grab the top of my pack, & abruptly sling me back like a rubberband, slammin me on my a$$. Damn rhodies :datzHow dare they take advantage of my 6'5" height w/ towering pack above my head. I swear the large pack of rowdy rhodies near Max Patch were all snickering as I lay on my a$$. I was just trying to make it thru their friggin tunnel formation. :D

Notice em all in the pic, thinkin they're all big & bad,,,, oooooooooooooohhh

justusryans
11-11-2005, 03:30
I'm intimidated!

kyerger
11-11-2005, 05:38
I am weary of the female redoee. One had a flower once and she said to me..."Who needs brains when you got these?" As she pushed her flower out more....

Stoker53
11-11-2005, 06:44
I am weary of the female redoee. One had a flower once and she said to me..."Who needs brains when you got these?" As she pushed her flower out more....

Now that is funny.......LAMO.

Marta
11-11-2005, 08:21
How dare they take advantage of my 6'5" height w/ towering pack above my head. I swear the large pack of rowdy rhodies near Max Patch were all snickering as I lay on my a$$. I was just trying to make it thru their friggin tunnel formation. :D

Because of their inferior status amongst trees (who call them "tree wannabees") they particularly hate tall people.

Rain Man
11-11-2005, 11:14
One of their tactics is to hypnotize unwitting hikers. I've heard of hikers seen near the entrance to rhodondendron tunnels, with blank stares on their faces, looking filthy and unkempt, as if they've been in that state for days or weeks. As if the rhoddies were waving long beautiful leaves slowly back and forth, saying softly "Look at me, look at me. You are tired. Soooo tired. You are getting sleeeeepy. Your eyelids are heavy. You want to rest. You are drifting away....."

I've heard that some hikers,-- modern-day Rip Van Winkles,-- have been found soundly asleep among rhododendrons, some with beards proving they've been there for a long, long time.

So, it's not just the physical attacks any longer. Now it's also psychological warfare!

And these are supposed to be the "unlearned" cousins to the fancy city rhoddies? I wonder who's really ignorant of the truth of things?!

And.... I heard it's spreading to mountain laurel nowadays! BEWARE, all ye who enter the woods!

Rain:sunMan

rocketsocks
01-29-2013, 07:05
Bump..... thought this was funny, found while looking for something else. This whole thread is awesome! and it gets better!

Capt Nat
01-29-2013, 09:20
Lets just hope that this kind of behavior doesn't spread to other plants...

mrcoffeect
01-29-2013, 09:32
Im suprised that the bigger oaks and maples havent banded together to try to keep them down. you know impose some sanctions, cut down on the amount of sun light that the rodies can receive.

swjohnsey
01-29-2013, 11:07
Rhododrendron are really only dangerous during rut.

rocketsocks
01-29-2013, 11:16
Rhododrendron are really only dangerous during rut.Ha Ha Ha heh heh heh, oh that's great

Post of the week!

I got nothin, this whole thread is great!

Gray Blazer
01-29-2013, 11:28
The rhodies and the groupies should get together.

rocketsocks
01-29-2013, 11:31
I hate when they play catch across the trail with a Black Racer as you walk by.

Pedaling Fool
01-29-2013, 11:39
Be careful of honey made from a hive in vicinity of a large concentration of Rhododrendon flowers, but it would have to be of a certain species and almost exclusively made from that flower.

BirdBrain
01-29-2013, 11:56
Har, har. Laugh it up guys. This is serious man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUjhWeXkmVA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUjhWeXkmVA

LongRange
01-29-2013, 12:13
:) Very good!

Seatbelt
01-29-2013, 14:21
Some have certain fetishes also......

Siarl
11-21-2013, 03:28
It is a story. A sad one. One told and retold in the mountains and passed on to those who believe. And in the telling over the stretch of years and time, the tale has become lost in the whispers between truth and myth. Even so, there have been many an unwary traveler traveling from the land of the flatlanders into the land of the mountains called Appalachia. Some of whom have never returned to tell their tales and the few that have returned mumble intelligibly of things best not remembered. That phrase, what mountain parents use to silence young over boisterous youngins and keep outsiders and their modern ways and ill manners at bay. May you be warned, those that cast doubt on the mountain and it's magic, for when you hear whispers of the Feud of the Mountain Laurel and the Rhodes, run. It may be your only warning.

Lauriep
11-21-2013, 08:49
Beware: Rhododendron never sleep -- they are always watching you. Don't be fooled in winter just because their leaves are curled.

moldy
11-21-2013, 09:00
Rhinoceros not rhododendron! There has not been a rhinoceros attack along the Appalachian Trail in 40 million years.

Old Hiker
11-21-2013, 09:00
Aren't the rhodies collaborating with the spiders these days? Webs across the tunnels to start the "spider dance", then upthrust roots to take you down? I'm surprised there aren't more hiker skeletons found where the more dissolvable elements were absorbed by the rhodies.

The picture of the Croc (post #29) is probably an overly-arrogant rhodie. Where's the REST of the hiker?

hobby
11-21-2013, 09:20
Rhinoceros not rhododendron! There has not been a rhinoceros attack along the Appalachian Trail in 40 million years.

rhododendron is a natural rhinoceros repellent----seems to be working pretty good

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2013, 09:35
Im suprised that the bigger oaks and maples havent banded together to try to keep them down. you know impose some sanctions, cut down on the amount of sun light that the rodies can receive.

Young Roadies feel they are entitled to the light

Drybones
11-21-2013, 10:20
I think that there is sufficient evidence to move this thread to the Hiking Humor forum. .

My wife would probably consider this a serious topic, she has this habit of following too close behind and when I release a branch it sometimes hits her in the face (slow learner), she thinks I do this on purpose. I'm convinced my dad did this on purpose when we quail hunted, nothing like a fast moving switch on a frozen ear to wake you up.

None yet
11-21-2013, 17:00
I heard the pink Rhodies were men haters.

MkBibble
11-21-2013, 17:32
24976I lived for months within a Rhodie family unit. Contrary to conventional wisdom, they are really very bright, loving, and they fully accepted me as one of their own.

Dogwood
11-21-2013, 17:49
Wait until you see what the plant kingdom may have in store for humans next. Watch the movie The Happening - little far fetched though.

As a Horticulturalist I'm utterly amazed at the way plants have evolved to defend themselves, thrive, and compete, with even other plants. It happens with so many other life forms as well. Think bacteria, viruses, etc.

Dogwood
11-21-2013, 17:51
24976I lived for months within a Rhodie family unit. Contrary to conventional wisdom, they are really very bright, loving, and they fully accepted me as one of their own.

:D:D:D:banana:banana:banana

Drybones
11-21-2013, 18:35
:D:D:D:banana:banana:banana

Looks samiliar...was that just south of Hot Springs?

Pedaling Fool
11-21-2013, 18:53
Wait until you see what the plant kingdom may have in store for humans next. Watch the movie The Happening - little far fetched though.

As a Horticulturalist I'm utterly amazed at the way plants have evolved to defend themselves, thrive, and compete, with even other plants. It happens with so many other life forms as well. Think bacteria, viruses, etc.Yeap, plants wage some nasty chemical warfare and we're just a food source and shelter for many forms of bacteria/viruses...so much for coexistance ;)

MkBibble
11-21-2013, 19:01
Looks samiliar...was that just south of Hot Springs?

Betty Creek Gap, between Deep Gap and Franklin. I was standing there, deciding whether or not I should stop for the night. Suddenly it started raining. The rhodie family called to me, and said that they would protect me while I set up my tent. They kept me warm and dry.

SawnieRobertson
11-21-2013, 19:07
Contraire, contraire to any of you who speak ill of the Rhodies. They reach out not to harm you but to embrace you in their wondrous arms. Crawl beneath their branches, set up camp, and enjoy a great night's sleep. Nuthin' to be found the equal of it on the trail. Calm, comfortable, covered.

Drybones
11-21-2013, 19:07
Be glad kudzu hasn't made it to the AT yet...but it's only a matter of time.

78owl
11-21-2013, 19:23
made my first sling shots with rhodies, and then had a very close encounter from one of the rhodies ......from my dad! Lesson learned.

Different Socks
11-21-2013, 19:26
I don't worry about the rhododendron attacks. What I am on the look out for are the Waitaminute vines that quietly line the trail, then reach out and grab you with their prickly, thorn covered limbs, stopping you cold and tearing the crap out of your flesh, pack and anything attached or hanging to the outside of your pack. Certain sections of the trail are infamous for the Waitaminute vines.

oldwetherman
11-21-2013, 20:42
1+ with Big Dawg's response. Rhodies discriminate against tall people...especially in the tunnels. They really like to snatch glasses right off your head!

Dogwood
11-21-2013, 20:46
Yeap, plants wage some nasty chemical warfare and we're just a food source and shelter for many forms of bacteria/viruses...so much for coexistance ;)

LOL I'll let you have that. I knew I was setting myself up for that when I made that comment. :D

Dogwood
11-21-2013, 21:44
There are actually a lot of examples of coexistence. Just in the plant kingdom alone look at the co-exisiting relationships that have developed between orchids and various insects, fungi, and animals that mutually benefit two or more totally different species. Some insects and alternatively some orchids NEED each other to survive to propagate their lineage(reproduce). Some orchids need specific fungi or mycorrhizae to germinate seed. The orchid family, the largest family of plants, has learned to evolve to coexist in some absolutely astonishing ways! It's fascinating to learn how orchids have evolved. Ever wonder why orchid inflorescences look so different? Study them, you'll start understanding just how deeply they have evolved(learned) to cooperate with other things.

Some bat species almost exclusively rely on eating one plant specie's fruit and in turn that plant has evolved to attract that type of bat. Perhaps, in some yet unexplained way the plant knows that the bat droppings will disperse its' seed thereby further insuring a progeny of new plants. Look at epiphytes(air plants), such as bromeliads and orchids with how they require a larger supporting plant like a tree and the tree in turn receives benefits from the epiphytes. It's a symbiotic relationship - a relationship between two different species that benefits both species. *There is evidence of cooperation/coexistence in Nature all around us yet we overwhelmingly ignore that aspect of Nature by solely shouting about another aspect of Nature - survival of the fittest. I wonder why? Perhaps, survival of the fittest helps excuse human centric or self serving agendas developed by various humans?

Look at what can happen in a negative sense in our own digestion when we kill off ALL the "bugs-bacteria)" both "good" and "bad" with antibiotics. There are benefits of having those "good bugs" living in us. It's a symbiotic balanced relationship that's mutually beneficial. You can't discount this cooperation in Nature or, for lack of a better word, COEXISTENCE.

I'll certainly be mindful of survival of the fittest in Nature - but I'll also not ignore the cooperation or coexistence that can occur in Nature as well. I'll look to coexist with the Rhodies as it seems MrBibble and SawnieRobertson is doing.

Drybones
11-21-2013, 21:58
They make nice balusters for this Foot Hills Trail bridge.

Dogwood
11-21-2013, 22:04
I don't worry about the rhododendron attacks. What I am on the look out for are the Waitaminute vines that quietly line the trail, then reach out and grab you with their prickly, thorn covered limbs, stopping you cold and tearing the crap out of your flesh, pack and anything attached or hanging to the outside of your pack. Certain sections of the trail are infamous for the Waitaminute vines.

Waitaminute vines. I like that. Never heard that before.

Siarl
11-22-2013, 03:22
On a serious note. Dogwood brings up a great point regarding the coexistence between some plants and animals. I now reside in the Chihuahuan Desert and many of the plants here depend on the acids in an animals intestines to degrade or scarify the seed covering so that it may germinate once the seed has been deposited in the animals excrement. Without that process, many of the plants would not be able to propagate. The Rhododendron and Mountain Laurel, however, do not need to be scarified in order to germinate.

Capt Nat
11-22-2013, 08:42
This is exactly why hikers should carry automatic weapons and lots of ammunition on the Appalachian Trail. I've found that with camo and silence, they don't know I'm there….

Pedaling Fool
11-22-2013, 09:10
I think people that confuse the terms of coexistence and symbiotic do so for human-centric reasons.

Dogwood
11-22-2013, 10:23
Why the BIG problem with coexistence? What does it not exist? PF, you may like perusing this with your coffee and croissant this morning while on the lanai overlooking the ocean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiosis

You make it seem incorrect to think the word(s) symbiosis or a symbiotic relationship can't be replaced so often with the word coexistence ? Perhaps you should do a synonym search for symbiosis/symbiotic and coexistence? You might find much in common. I suppose that too would be human centric?

sym·bi·ot·ic

/ˌsɪmhttp://static.sfdict.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngbiˈɒthttp://static.sfdict.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngɪk, -baɪ-/ Show Spelled [sim-bee-ot-ik, -bahy-] Show IPA
adjective living in symbiosis (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/symbiosis), or having an interdependent relationship: Many people feel the relationship between humans and dogs is symbiotic.

Would it be that far fetched or incorrect to replace the word symbiotic in this sentence by saying, 'Many people feel the relationship between humans and dogs is one of coexistence?'

You seem to have a real issue with the idea of coexistence. You were in the U.S. military weren't you?

chiefiepoo
11-22-2013, 10:42
Rhodo been play'n the knock down game

Pedaling Fool
11-22-2013, 16:33
Perhaps you should do a synonym search for symbiosis/symbiotic and coexistence? You might find much in common. I suppose that too would be human centric?

Come on Dogwood, you know it’s all about context.

When most think of coexistence they are thinking of harmonious coexistence based on mutual respect and in celebration of diversity and tolerance, which is a big ruse, but I’ll ignore that for this discussion. And everyone is full of this stupid feeling, sort of like this hippie crap on display in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrnB-Bvlp5E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrnB-Bvlp5E)

Symbiosis in nature has nothing to do with coexistence in that context. The animals do NOT care about one another’s well-being; rather it’s all about what you can do for me, period. It doesn’t matter what organism you’re talking about, for example when certain fungi develops a symbiotic relationship with plants it’s because the fungus needs carbohydrates from the plant, and in return the plant needs extension to their root system to get the most moisture/nutrients from the soil. And if plant could get water/nutrients without the help of certain fungi, then they would devlop a strategy to keep the fungus from connecting with their roots, after all it's an expensive relationship and in many ways the fungi needs the plants more than the plants need the fungi (in many cases).

There’s no mutual love, it’s all about their selfish needs, period. The human-centric idea of coexistence is putting one’s own interest aside in order to help others. That doesn’t happen with symbiotic relationships in nature. What can you do for me? That is at the root of all symbiotic relationships. There is no love and concern over the safety and well-being of others, that is totally a human construct.

Dogwood
11-22-2013, 16:56
"The animals do NOT care about one another’s well-being; rather it’s all about what you can do for me, period."

You can look at it that way if you like but that's not what I see in Nature. I see quite a bit of evidence supporting one species absolutely caring about another species well being even on occasion two species that are considered to have a prey/predator relationship caring for one another. Look around. Take a different perspective. You'll possibly notice it. Nature is NOT ALL about survival of the fittest.

lumberjaime
11-22-2013, 17:16
I was brutally assaulted by these very "Waitaminutes" just north of Pearisburg. I was a mile away from ending a night hike and getting into a soft hotel bed, when all of a sudden I had lost my headlamp, hat, and about a pint of blood. These guerrillas mean business and should not be approached or engaged without sufficient defense.

Another Kevin
11-22-2013, 20:49
There’s no mutual love, it’s all about their selfish needs, period. The human-centric idea of coexistence is putting one’s own interest aside in order to help others. That doesn’t happen with symbiotic relationships in nature. What can you do for me? That is at the root of all symbiotic relationships. There is no love and concern over the safety and well-being of others, that is totally a human construct.

That's, rather, a human explanation for cooperation - and it's often used as an explanation for how humans are special and unique, distinguished from the remainder of the animal kingdom. But there's another way to view the story. Survival of the fittest isn't about the fittest individual; it's about the fittest species. If I sacrifice myself to save my daughter, it's because she'll pass on my genes after I'm gone - or so Darwin would imply. There have been a number of studies of simulated population dynamics in which organisms with behaviour that humans would describe as 'altruistic' outcompete ones that humans would describe as 'selfish', beginning with Robert Axelrod's study in 1981 (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~axe/research/Axelrod%20and%20Hamilton%20EC%201981.pdf).

Pedaling Fool
11-22-2013, 21:30
That's, rather, a human explanation for cooperation - and it's often used as an explanation for how humans are special and unique, distinguished from the remainder of the animal kingdom. But there's another way to view the story. Survival of the fittest isn't about the fittest individual; it's about the fittest species. If I sacrifice myself to save my daughter, it's because she'll pass on my genes after I'm gone - or so Darwin would imply. There have been a number of studies of simulated population dynamics in which organisms with behaviour that humans would describe as 'altruistic' outcompete ones that humans would describe as 'selfish', beginning with Robert Axelrod's study in 1981 (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~axe/research/Axelrod%20and%20Hamilton%20EC%201981.pdf).That's why I was careful to only keep it to symbiotic relationships and not offspring.

As for 'altruisic' characteristics, after reading your post, I'm not sure if they are referring to interspecies relationships or intraspecies relationships (I will read the study). Although, my first thought is intraspecies relationships, i.e. herd animals, wolf pack, lions in a pride...

Although I'm sure there could be some 'altruisic' characteristics between different species, but I'm still seeing that as a form of symbiotic relationship, but after reading the study maybe I'll get it. Actually symbiotic relationships are not always black and white, some times it's almost parasitic, meaning one organism greatly benefits more than the other.

But thanks for the link, I will get around to reading it.

Dogwood
11-23-2013, 00:54
'Actually symbiotic relationships are not always black and white, some times it's almost parasitic, meaning one organism greatly benefits more than the other."

Indeed, you are correct. Some symbiotic relationships such as those of parasitic plants like dodder(Cuscuta spp.) and mistletoe(Viscum spp.) benefit one species more than the other and in some instances will even kill one of the species. It's not almost a parasitic relationship. It is a parasitic relationship. It's an example of Parasitism a non mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship involving the host and a parasite where the host sometimes dies as a result.

However, this wasn't what I was referring to when I mentioned symbiotic relationships and why I posted this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiosis , and why I said this in the way I said it: 'You make it seem incorrect to think the word(s) symbiosis or a symbiotic relationship can't be replaced so often with the word coexistence?' I even underlined so often for you so that there would be no confusion of the type of symbiosis I was referring to.

Yet, you still chose to disregard the context in which I was using symbiotic relationships(symbiosis) and comparing it to coexistence. You might recall on another thread where I also mentioned that coexistence is defined differently by different people. I understand how you define coexistence and how you think others mainly define it but I intentionally gave you my definition of coexistence(on that other thread) in hopes that it might help you understand where I come from when I use this word/idea/principle BUT you keep going back to what you assume I think AND you're having a hard time connecting with my perspective as a result.

Pedaling Fool
11-23-2013, 09:02
The animals do NOT care about one another’s well-being; rather it’s all about what you can do for me, period.

You can look at it that way if you like but that's not what I see in Nature. I see quite a bit of evidence supporting one species absolutely caring about another species well being even on occasion two species that are considered to have a prey/predator relationship caring for one another. Look around. Take a different perspective. You'll possibly notice it. Nature is NOT ALL about survival of the fittest.

Yes, Dogwood I know that the two words can be used interchangeably, but as I already said, it's all about context. You already showed me your context; case closed. You're just a freak, but I don't hold that against you:D;)

Dogwood
11-23-2013, 15:06
Yes, Dogwood I know that the two words can be used interchangeably, but as I already said, it's all about context. You already showed me your context; case closed. You're just a freak, but I don't hold that against you:D;)

I'll take that as close to a compliment as I'm going to get from you. :cool: :D These symbiotic discussions with you are taking their toll on me....in a good way.;):D

rocketsocks
11-23-2013, 16:31
Creature Double Feature

HikerMom58
11-23-2013, 19:53
Creature Double Feature

Ahhh YES RS... I've always wanted Dogwood & PF to discuss a topic like this together.. and look AK is there as well...:cool:

Sarcasm the elf
11-23-2013, 20:28
This is exactly why hikers should carry automatic weapons and lots of ammunition on the Appalachian Trail. I've found that with camo and silence, they don't know I'm there….

Just go hiking in southern Georgia while the rangers are doing training in the national forest lands. It's always fun to be lulled to sleep at night by the sound of an M249 laying down one second bursts of suppressive fire.