PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate Water

The Splitter
04-21-2015, 19:17
One of the places I frequently day hike is a local county preserve of about 5,000 acres. A large majority of the preserve is a long abandoned strip mine that was once used for mining phosphate in the 1950's. There is a creek that runs through the preserve that is fed from a spring, however it wreaks of sulfur (rotten eggs). Looking at the creek bed one can see the white deposits in many areas, however the water appears clear. I'm not sure what the white stuff is as sulfur is yellow in color. Would this water be safe to drink given that it is ran through a filter first? I've always used it to simply rinse off my dishes but it would be nice to be able to stop there and hydrate vs carrying water.

rocketsocks
04-21-2015, 21:06
Surphur is not always yellow, it can also be a very washed out white in colour.

imscotty
04-21-2015, 21:39
Whoa, please do not drink that water. Mining tailings can contain heavy metals that can cause severe neurological and other damage. Wikipedia is also telling me that phosphate deposits are also sometimes high in radioactive compounds. It does not matter that the water is clear, a filter will do nothing to remove dissolved heavy metals and radioactive compounds, this water may be very hazardous to your health.

MuddyWaters
04-21-2015, 21:42
As someone thats had to drink smelly sulfurous water before, you cant get past the smell. Its simply awful. Toxicity aside. I practically died of thirst before I would drink it.

Starchild
04-21-2015, 21:52
Surphur in water was viewed as a healing substance by many Native American tribes, and also usually noticeable in many hot springs that 'claim' healing properties, however in the context you state who knows what that stuff is.

Odd Man Out
04-21-2015, 22:36
Whoa, please do not drink that water. Mining tailings can contain heavy metals that can cause severe neurological and other damage. Wikipedia is also telling me that phosphate deposits are also sometimes high in radioactive compounds. It does not matter that the water is clear, a filter will do nothing to remove dissolved heavy metals and radioactive compounds, this water may be very hazardous to your health.

Agree about the filters. If it is a pore-type filter (Sawyer) it does nothing to remove minerals or chemicals. It only removes non-dissolved solid and microbes.

The Splitter
04-21-2015, 23:04
My gut tells me don't drink it, and my gut is usually right. I mostly refuse to touch it given the history of the place. God only knows what kind of chemicals were dumped out there prior to it being purchased by the county in the 90's.

I had read similar things about the sulfur though in regards to its "healing powers" which is what made me wonder if it may be safe to drink lost filtration. Then again doctors also used to bleed people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
04-22-2015, 03:12
Susie was in my chemistry class
she isn't any more
she drank what she thought was H20
but was H2S04

do be careful.

Traveler
04-22-2015, 07:04
My gut tells me don't drink it, and my gut is usually right. I mostly refuse to touch it given the history of the place. God only knows what kind of chemicals were dumped out there prior to it being purchased by the county in the 90's.

I had read similar things about the sulfur though in regards to its "healing powers" which is what made me wonder if it may be safe to drink lost filtration. Then again doctors also used to bleed people.

This falls into the category of "If there is a doubt, there is no doubt". If you question if something is safe to drink, eat, walk on, ride in, lean against, sleep under, pick up, etc, its best to presume it is probably not and move on.

WingedMonkey
04-22-2015, 09:45
Your questions are actually about two different topics.

The "reclaimed" phosphate pits of Southwest Florida are some of the most productive fishing in the state. The ones with public access are tightly regulated by the Game Commission.

Most "sulfur springs" in South Florida are abandoned free flowing well heads. The water management districts try and cap most of them.
Doubt you could drink enough to make you sick because just a large gulp from most likely will tighten up your throat. I've had them turn silver jewelery gray, just washing up in them.

I's suggest if you want to filter water to get it out of the phosphate lakes. I probably wouldn't even filter that, but you never know what human stuff might have made it into there.

:sun

Hangfire
04-22-2015, 12:53
This is interesting, I had a couple of run ins with odd water that I passed on because I just wasn't sure. Clear water but the entire creek bed looked like rust (in PA), I knew I was in mining area and the water source wasn't listed so I passed. Must have been iron ore in the water? This was where I wished I had studied chemistry in school. Also outside of Palmerton in the super fund section there's an "emergency only" water source which they say has a metallic taste, I wanted to take a mouthful just to say I did then spit it out but once again i chickened out... I imagine that in low volumes this stuff really wouldn't kill you, but who really wants to find out!

Walkintom
04-22-2015, 13:50
As a previous inhabitant of the OPs neck of the woods, I suspect I may have traversed the same area being mentioned.

If that's the case, I doubt that the water is harmful. If it's where we went a few times, there are bathroom facilities on site, and the water there is provided by on site wells.

That stated, I don't particularly like the water there and I just always loaded up at the facilities.

With the old mines in FL, the biggest concern I've ever had about the water is the taste. It's generally standing or slow flowing and doesn't taste that great. Lots of sulfur water in the shallow water table and I've found that Aqua Mira actually makes it taste a bit better, but only a bit.

If this is a SWFWMD site, there are probably water quality assessments that you can ask them for.

The Splitter
04-22-2015, 16:39
As a previous inhabitant of the OPs neck of the woods, I suspect I may have traversed the same area being mentioned.

If that's the case, I doubt that the water is harmful. If it's where we went a few times, there are bathroom facilities on site, and the water there is provided by on site wells.

That stated, I don't particularly like the water there and I just always loaded up at the facilities.

With the old mines in FL, the biggest concern I've ever had about the water is the taste. It's generally standing or slow flowing and doesn't taste that great. Lots of sulfur water in the shallow water table and I've found that Aqua Mira actually makes it taste a bit better, but only a bit.

If this is a SWFWMD site, there are probably water quality assessments that you can ask them for.

Walkintom, it's. Balm Boyette Scrub Preserve. I think you may be thinking of Alafia State Park? There is no running water at boyette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walkintom
04-22-2015, 17:41
Yeah, I think that I was thinking of Alafia. Couldn't remember the name, just all the old pits. Lots of bikes there, too.