PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Thru-Hike Registry

Pages : [1] 2

mountain squid
04-21-2015, 20:50
Just noticed that the 2016 sub-forum is open. All of you 2016 lurkers, it is finally your turn!

Trail Name
Direction
Estimated Start Date
Approach Trail - yes or no
any additional info that you want the world to know

Also consider registering with ATC (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/). Next year promises to be very busy, especially in GA, because of the Bryson movie (A Walk in the Woods). And make sure you get lots of good tips from the Bryson movie later this year :rolleyes:!

If anything changes, please update via a reply to this thread or send me a PM.

After you have completed your hike, don't forget to report back in with completion dates and how far you hiked!

Good Luck and Have Fun (with the planning this year and the trail next year).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(Later in the season a spreadsheet will be available for viewing in the articles (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/28-whiteblaze-thru-hikers) section.)

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

Team Pancho
04-21-2015, 22:25
So far my partner and I are trail nameless, so we'll just go with Drew and Mindy for now. We have been planning on a thru hike in 2016 for about 5 months and finally decided to do a flip-flop starting in Harpers Ferry and head north the last week of April. We decided on flipping to avoid crowds, to not be rushed to reach Katadhin before it closes (we'd like to stop and smell the roses), and to do our part to make this whole thing a bit more sustainable. Been looking forward to this for a very long time. So tempted to say "screw it" and hop on the train to HF tonight!

jimyjam
04-21-2015, 22:40
I do not have a trail name yet so for now it's James. My planned NOBO start date is March 23. I'm not sure if I'm gonna do the Approach Trail yet. I have been planning a thru hike for just over two years now and is something I've dreamed of doing for a long time! Looking forward to meeting all you fine folks!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Old Hiker
04-21-2015, 22:50
Trail Name: Old Hiker (Again)

Direction: NOBO (Again)

Estimated Start Date: 29 Feb 2016

Approach Trail - yes or no: Still deciding. Didn't last attempt - may just jump on again. Have done it before on practice hikes.

any additional info that you want the world to know:

This is my second attempt. Starting on 29 Feb honors my mom, who always encouraged me to try this. After my sprained/cracked ankle last time (2012), my dad asked me why I would give up. I decided to try again, with my wife's reluctant encouragement.

This time: more pictures of PEOPLE, not places, better attempts at being friendly (I'm shy in person until I get to know you), no worries about mileage, less weight on the back. I will also try NOT to touch every white blaze I walk past.

samb.
04-22-2015, 00:26
Trail name: Don't have oneDirection: NoboEstimated start date: Mid to late MarchApproach Trail: YesCurrent infantry marine biding my time till i Eas in November and can start training to hike again.

heckyesnugent
04-22-2015, 06:21
Trail name: None yet. We'll go with Michelle for now.
Direction: NOBO
Start date: March
Approach trail: yes

ryjohnson09
04-22-2015, 10:06
Trail name: None yet (Ryan for now)
Directions: NOBO
Start Date: March 3rd
Approach trail: You bet!

climbingbear
04-23-2015, 00:26
Trail name: SciFi
Direction: Flip Flop, starting in Front Royal (near home)
Start date: April 24th
Approach trail: for me it's the exit trail, not sure yet.

Jordan's Dad
04-23-2015, 14:27
Trail name: Jordan's Dad
Estimated Start Date: 12 March 2016
Approach trail: Yes

Retiring from current position, and need to do this NOW or it will never be done.

Sanity's Edge
04-23-2015, 19:26
Trail name: None yet
Direction: North Bound and following the Spring
Estimated State Date: I'm looking at the third week in March
Approach Trail: Yes

Love Jordan's Dad's comment. I am also retiring. Planning this as a transition into my "next life". I got this into my head about a year and a half ago and am playing Trail Angel for a friend this year.

CELTIC BUCK
04-23-2015, 23:21
Fine so I guess 2016 really has a class at last.
trail name Celtic Buck for many reasons hiking with my Lab Walker
doing a Southbound ramble starting August 1st

spearmint6989
04-23-2015, 23:44
Trail name: To be determined...Tara for now!
Estimated Start Date: March something

I've dreamt of this as a child and I am determined to make it happen next year!! It's time to stop waiting for my life to be in order and have enough money to feel "comfortable"...It won't happen!! I need to get out and go for my dreams!! :)

Wiki
04-24-2015, 08:43
Trail Name: Wiki
Estimated Start Date: March 15-30th Time Frame
Approach Trail - Most likely not
Blog is here: http://www.going-big.com/ not much content yet...still in Afghanistan

Luther
04-24-2015, 10:30
Trail Name: Don't have one
Estimated Start Date: February (if my friend comes), Early March (If he doesn't come)

Trying to escape the confines of society by delaying the career path job. I've been backpacking for 4 years now, nothing longer than 5 days. I think about the thru-hike almost every day...

dbright
04-24-2015, 10:44
Trail Name: SAfeway
Estimated Start Date: 29 Feb 2016 or early March doe to weather.

Approach Trail - yes or no: Still deciding.

Doing a practice hike into Damascus May 10 - 15th. I hope to get there sometime before trail days ends.

lac3300
04-24-2015, 18:00
My name is Leah. Still soul searching for a trail name. I'm planning get a flip flop starting in Harpers Ferry headed North in the last week of April. I'm going solo and may bring my golden retriever Shelby.

jenningka
04-24-2015, 19:14
Trail Name: None Yet, but I'm Kala.

Estimated Start Date: Third Week, March. (Unless I find a co-hiker in which case this could change)

Approach Trail - Yes

This will be my first attempt (woohoo!) I'll finish school this winter and without other obligations -- there isn't a reason why I shouldn't do it, so I'm using that as a prime reason that I should make the trek.

sfdoc
04-25-2015, 13:48
Trail name: to be determined
Estimated start date: 3/1

thechadders
04-26-2015, 18:19
Trail name: Was Happy Feet on PCT (To common of a name want a new one haha)
Start date: April 15th Aiming for a 90 Day Thru

hayeskw
04-27-2015, 15:41
Trail name: ???
Direction: little flip, lotsa flop (Erwin south, then Erwin north)
Est. Start: mid-April
Approach trail: not sure

This has been in the works since 2000. Only now mentally and physically tough enough to even start.

pauly_j
04-28-2015, 08:56
Trail Name - TBC
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - Some time late March
Approach Trail - May as well
Any additional info that you want the world to know - I'm a Brit! Quitting my Sales job after 5 grueling years. Hoping to hike the trail in around 5 months so I can visit Philly, NYC, Washington and maybe Montauk (I love surfing and hear that there's a cool vibe going here?) on the way. Only have 6 months max on the Visa so will need to be on point but I'm pretty fit and healthy. Will be visiting Canada for a month or so after that before heading back home.

I've wanted to do this for over 10 years and have waited until possibly the least convenient moment to do it (I have a mortgage :rolleyes:). Since I put a date on it about a year ago, I've thought about it most days and it's sometimes the only thing that keeps me at my current job.

Wrangler
04-29-2015, 17:33
Trail Name: No Trail name yet
Start Date: April 19

I finally have all my gear. Now I just need to start saving my money. Being a broke college kid is not the best financial situation to be in for thru hiking but I am going to do it no matter how much money I have!

buckeye49
04-29-2015, 18:00
Trail Name. Bulldog
Direction. SOBO
Estimated Start Date July 4th
Approach Trail - Starting at Roaring Brook

Been my dream for over 20 years.

Moira
04-30-2015, 23:01
Trail name: TBD
Start:Early to mid March
Approach: I didn't last time I left Springer, so definitely now

Finally have no strings or excuses to hold me back from my thru-hike!

HDLV
05-01-2015, 09:28
Trail Name- none yet. For now we are just Henri and Lauren
Direction- SOBO
Estimated Start Date - May 15- June 1st
Approach Trail - I'm not sure the SOBO aproach but if there is one we will do it.

We we both are experienced backpackers and are both quitting our jobs to do the trail. I (Henri) have done the New York section already and can't wait to do the rest!

TheOneGuy
05-01-2015, 13:38
Start date: Mid-March
Approach trail: No

Not sure how my decision to thru-hike was born. According to my internet search history, it happened the last weekend of September, '14. Stoked to get on the trail!

crazystick
05-01-2015, 14:21
Trail Name: Bravo
Direction: Northbound
Starting: first day of spring
Approach Trail - yes

I hiked the trail in 2011 under the same trail name, looking forward to doing it again. any old buddies from the 2011 class give me a shout!

Cotton Terry
05-01-2015, 17:37
Trail Name: Cotton
Direction: NOBO (I'm considering a Flip Flop from Harper's Ferry)
Estimated Start Date: ~March 23rd

Hiking the approach trail to Neel's Gap later this month as a trial hike.

Graybadger
05-02-2015, 11:37
Trail Name -- Graybadger (one look at my profile pic will easily tell you where the Grey comes from :D )
Direction -- NOBO
Estimated Start Date-- 3/26/2016
Approach Trail - Absolutely!

Not a "bucket list" thing...more the point, taking a cue from a Bob Dylan lyric -- "He not busy being born is busy dying". I think that just about says it all.

denimlabels
05-02-2015, 20:36
Trail Name: N/A
Direction: Northbound
Estimated Start Date: 2/21-28/2016
Approach Trail: Hell Yeah I Am.

I just woke up a few weeks ago and decided I would give Long-Distance thru-hiking a shot. I'm not getting any younger and if I don't do this now I may regret it. My ultimate goal is to eventually also do the PCT. But that is a long, long way off. See ya'll on the AT in 2016!

brewyet
05-04-2015, 08:20
Trail Name: TBD
Direction: Flip-Flop from Harpers Ferry
Starting: Late April
Approach Trail - Skipping it and hoping to make it to Birmingham, AL via the BMT and Pinhoti.

Now its on to saving up money and getting my gear ready for the trip.

TheWildMoose
05-04-2015, 12:39
Trail Name: I don't have a trail name yet, however my name is Austin Braswell.
Direction: North Bound, GA-ME.
Estimated Start Date: April 1st.
Approach Trai: Yes

I cannot wait to see what magic the trail holds for me! I am graduating college in December and I figured this would be the perfect time for me to finally do this. I hope to make many new friends and see places of this country I have never witnessed before. Feel free to add me on Facebook if you'd like to link up at some point.

Happy Trails!

2000miler
05-04-2015, 14:37
Trail Name: Bear Bait. As we were preparing for a week-long PCT section hike, a good friend of mine introduced me in an email to his friends as "he would be an asset, mainly because he's slow as **** and would definitely be caught by the bear". Bear Bait just sounded so right. But, I love the idea of getting dubbed on the trail, so who knows?

Direction: NoBo

Estimated Start Date: March 30ish. Worried about the bubble next year, but also worried about being cold. We'll see how the weather is looking.

Approach Trail: Of course!

If any of you are in Chicago I'd love to meet up and grab a beer / talk through preparation. Shoot me a message!

Jake2c
05-04-2015, 17:35
Trail name: None yet.
Start date: End of February unless weather is brutal
Approach trail: Probably

Had my retirement ceremony last Friday after over 40 years in the Navy. I grew up on an island so that plus my job means I have spent my life on the ocean. Wanted to do something way out of my swim lane, but would give me a chance to clear my head, stay away from the news and technology. Only two choices came to mind, sailing or the AT. Sailing is not really out of my swim lane and I will do that until I cant any more, so . . . .

ManuWue
05-06-2015, 07:52
Trail name: None - Manuel for now.
Start date: Between 20th of march and 1st of april. (Depends on the price of the flight from Switzerland)

I'm very looking forward to make this experience and hope to meet some of you out on the trail. I wish all the best to everyone for the planning this year and the hike in 2016.

richardhandley
05-07-2015, 15:16
Trail name: Nothing yet…TBD
Direction: SOBO
Start date: June 1st
Approach trail: Abol Slide Trail

Right now exiting out on the Pinhoti Trail resonates inmy planning however, we’ll see how I feel after having been out on the trailfor a few months.

Roni714
05-07-2015, 16:33
Trail Name: Craft or Punky (not sure which one will stick just yet - my name is Veronica)
Direction: Flip-flop; Harpers Ferry north to Katahdin
Start Date: ~15 May
Approach Trail: On my way out...maybe?!

Training in the Rockies this summer, so the elevation should help. Driving my friends and family crazy because the AT is all I talk about. Will be in NC and VA next month to section hike and provide some trail magic to the 2015 hikers.

richardhandley
05-08-2015, 15:38
Roni714...hey I'm Richard and I am located in St. Petersburg, Florida also...Nice to see some others from St. Pete making the hike. Coincidently my family lives in Denver also. Weird.

Bigfoot86
05-09-2015, 13:17
Trail name: Bigfoot
Start Date: 4/1/16
Approach: definitely

so far i have one possibly two starting with me.

JumpMaster Blaster
05-10-2015, 09:49
Trail name: None yet.
Start date: End of February unless weather is brutal
Approach trail: Probably

Had my retirement ceremony last Friday after over 40 years in the Navy. I grew up on an island so that plus my job means I have spent my life on the ocean. Wanted to do something way out of my swim lane, but would give me a chance to clear my head, stay away from the news and technology. Only two choices came to mind, sailing or the AT. Sailing is not really out of my swim lane and I will do that until I cant any more, so . . . .

Congrats Jake!

Mark Mills
05-14-2015, 12:15
Trail name: Moose in 1991 while walking from Me. to Virginia
SOBO
June 15th or so...

ksquared
05-15-2015, 22:23
No trail name yet, but I'm leaving NOBO in mid to late March. Sometime after the 18th. Not sure on the approach trail yet. I've done it before so I think I'd kind of like a chance to drive up the mountain and see it that way. As for additional info, I'll be hiking with my dog once the weather warms up a bit at night.

Hangry
05-16-2015, 14:40
Trail name: Hangry
flip flop: Springer to Harper's Ferry the down from Kathdin back to Harper's Ferry
Start: early March

JCMedic
05-16-2015, 20:34
Trail name: Buttercup & The Dude (my son)
Start date: Tentatively 3/29
Approach trail: Undecided

griffin.450
05-17-2015, 12:22
No trial name yet
NOBO
Yes to the approach trail
Start date is hopefully mid march
Graduating from The Ohio State University this next December and decided it is time to complete the journey I have been striving to due for my entire life!
See you crazy bastards on the trail!

namaste7
05-17-2015, 21:36
Trail name: namaste
Start date: mid march
Approach trail: not if I can help it.

Wanted to hike the trail 2015, but family matters prevented it. Am shooting for 2016!! Can't wait to start.

namaste7
05-18-2015, 18:07
Sanity's Edge,
I'm from FWB and am also starting mid march 2016. Hope to see you out there.

Sanity's Edge
05-19-2015, 18:23
So glad to see someone else from this area is going to hike. Hope to see you on the trail.

clover16
05-20-2015, 07:39
Trail Name: Undecided
Direction: Flip flop starting at Harper's Ferry
Estimated Start Date: Approx. May 1st
Approach Trail: ??

This is my first post.... If I had no strings this would be a no-brainer. However, leaving the loved ones is what I'm trying to sort out. In the big picture of life, this is just a snip-it of time. I really want to do this for a lot of personal reasons. Interested in connecting with other females planning a solo in 2016.

Old Hiker
05-20-2015, 15:03
Just noticed: can’t register with the ATC for 2016 – EVERY date is full. Co-inky-dink? Hope so –I was thinking about registering.

jimyjam
05-20-2015, 16:29
Just noticed: can’t register with the ATC for 2016 – EVERY date is full. Co-inky-dink? Hope so –I was thinking about registering.

The registration page says you can't register for 2016 until December 2015...That's why they have them all x'ed out.

2000miler
05-20-2015, 18:36
Yep, I emailed the ATC last month asking about the calendar being full, and got the same response. Registration doesn't open until later this year.

KimmyWasHere
05-23-2015, 22:02
Trail Name: Sprout
Estimated Start Date : March 12 or March 19
Approach Trail - yes

I am currently a 27 year old Stay at home mom. Went on a little hike to get away with my husband a year and a half ago and got bit by the hiking bug! Going in 3 weeks to do some sections of the AT with him but will be attempting a thru solo. :D

kameyosekmoon
05-25-2015, 15:32
Trail Name: ---------
Est. Start: End of March/Early April

My name is Crystal Gail (first name). When I start this journey I will be 18 months post-op from my fourteenth surgery (eight of which have been brain surgeries). It doesn't appear that people of color actually attempt this hike, but I am not only going to attempt the journey I'm going to complete it!

Bombadil
05-27-2015, 10:28
Bombadil (hiking with Goldberry)
Northbound from Springer, no approach trail.
Flying to Georgia March 9th, starting the hike March 10th.
We have been living in Winchendon, MA for years, but now we live in Gardner.

We look forward to sharing news and ideas with other 2016 NOBOs.

Dogtra
05-30-2015, 23:38
Trail Name: Dogtra
Start Date: Late March
Approach Trail: No

Dreaming about getting out on the AT again. This time I may be bringing my dog, not sure yet. Still monitoring his conditioning and I'm not sure his pads will be able to take the abuse of long distance hiking. Time will tell. For now I'm focusing on raising funds. :)

Good luck to all of you 2016 hopefuls.

The Captian
06-02-2015, 21:15
Trail Name The Captian
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date first or second week in March
Approach Trail - yes

sycamore bark
06-06-2015, 07:11
trail name, sycamore bark, nobo, 3-18-16, approach trail yes

Cfullerton
06-06-2015, 14:38
Trail Name: Gadget Legs -- Its a long story
Estimated Start Date: April 15
Approach Trail - Undecided

Not sure where the interest in the AT came from but I'm hooked and can't wait to get out there. Ive read just about everything available, the blogs, journals, AWOL on the Appalachian Trial (thank you David Miller), Appalachian Trials and WB entries and have found it all fascinating and informative. Im retired, and want to do something that pushes me out of my comfort zone a bit. Hoping to meet others who are after the same thing. Im sure my trek will be slow and steady as I really want to enjoy the journey. Would love to chat with others, especially other women who are considering the challenge.
Hope to see you on the trail...

"The most important reason for going from one place to another is to see whats in between, and they did just that." Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth

Dugout
06-12-2015, 07:04
Trail Name: Dugout
Direction: NOBO (How cool is it that I get to walk home to Maine?)
Estimated Start Date: Mid March (hopefully, early April if not)
Approach Trail: Undecided

Some recent and not so recent events in my life have taught me just one thing and one thing only...Life is too short and precious to not really live it. Its time I start living mine again. Hope to see you folks out there next year!

P.S. - Any of you folks warming up on the Long Trail this year? Im starting a SOBO End-to End in Early September to shake things down and see if I can whittle some more weight off my pack!

jbmundy87
06-18-2015, 13:39
Trail Name-- N/A
Direction-- North Bound (tentative)
Estimated Start Date-- early March (tentative)
Approach Trail -- yes
I have wanted to do this since I was 14. I finally got a job where I was making enough money for a thru hike to be feasible. Can't wait to get out in the cold and rain!

Sethern
06-20-2015, 22:22
Trail Name: No trail name yet. Will just go by Chris until someone gives me one.
Estimated Start Date: March 1.
Approach Trail - yes

mml373
06-21-2015, 21:03
For planning purposes only, at this point. Too many variables to commit just yet.

Trail name: None yet...need one.
Direction: Southbound from Katahdin
Start date: Mid-July to 1 August, 2016
Approach trail: Not sure yet

Looking to make lifelong friends and experience kindred COMMUNITY while on the trail learning about myself and experiencing life, unplugged. Can't find a girl worth marrying here in the city. Maybe my luck will be better on the Trail...

Hoofit
06-22-2015, 08:22
Hoofit here.....
2010 thruhiker that had to come off due to the infamous deer tick......
Getting back on in July 2016 at greenwood lake, NY, where I left off, and a ' heading for Katahdin!
Fortunately that means I will miss the mob at Springer in April!
Already counting the weeks.....

palmettoheel
06-23-2015, 18:25
Start date: 3rd or 4th week of April
Approach trail: Not sure

Been planning this trip for a couple months now and can't wait for April 2016.

Hadley Hal
06-24-2015, 13:05
Just starting prelim planning.Mass. north then thru south,extended time is no problem, been retired since 2005. Would like to find partner with time. I'm 70 so I'm in no rush when hiking. Open as to start, date, location, and so on. Just starting to work out to get in hiking form. 2016 if it can come
together if not 2017--- The 6 P's---Proper planning prevents piss poor performance

miaublau
06-24-2015, 20:28
Trail name: don't have one yet, but I'm Kristen
Start date: very beginning of May

LibertyBell
06-25-2015, 20:43
Trail name is Liberty.
NOBO 1st couple weeks of March.
Definitely on the approach trail.
Retiring in December. Been planning my hike for 6 months.

Klynn
06-27-2015, 09:19
Trail Name: Arkansas Traveler
Estimated Start Date: I'm thinking sometime between March 15th-30th. Not sure, yet, about exact date.
Approach Trail - Not sure...I'm thinking yes at this point.

susiegear
06-27-2015, 09:43
Trail Name: Susie
Direction:NOBO
Estimated Start Date: April 8th
Approach Trail - yes or no: no
any additional info that you want the world to know: I have wanted to do this for over 20 years. I have been doing 1-2 week trips on the SHT preparing and checking all of my gear out so I can make good choices of what to take. I cant wait to get back on the trail! Anyone else leaving around that time? I am going solo planning on meeting people while I am out there as that seems to be the best option.

Susie

Helopilot
06-27-2015, 18:02
Trail name: For now, Helo
Est Start: 22 Feb - 1 Mar
Approach Trail: yes

i can't wait to start. I have been planning on this since I was 16, now is the time to complete the dream.

Kebler
06-28-2015, 23:58
Trail name: Kebler
Direction: Flip Flop
Est. Start: Mid April

Life's too short to pass up opportunities...now's the time

Helopilot
06-30-2015, 00:48
Thanks for your service to this great nation!! 28 years USAF myself.

KTX
07-01-2015, 22:56
Start date: Sometime in March
Approach trail: Haven't thought about it yet.

Just in the initial planning stages.
Had plans on going into the military out of college but unfortunately leg injuries set me back. I figure what better way to train up than hiking for half a year.

Tesla33
07-01-2015, 23:51
First time poster, long time lurker!

Is there a way to register with ATC if our date is full? I'd love to contribute to the data and I've been planning for years, just didn't see the dates open. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks !

KDogg
07-02-2015, 00:52
Trail Name - none yet
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Starte Date - 16 March 2016
Approach Trail - maybe

Officially started training last night. I might be having a mid-life crisis...maybe not though!

jimyjam
07-02-2015, 10:52
First time poster, long time lurker!

Is there a way to register with ATC if our date is full? I'd love to contribute to the data and I've been planning for years, just didn't see the dates open. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks !

2016 Thru Hike registration doesn't begin until December...that's why they have them all xxx out.

hikenow
07-03-2015, 20:35
Hi All!
No trail name yet - Rodney for now.
Estimated Start Date: Mid - Late February
Approach Trail - I think so

Looking forward to meeting folks!

LibertyBell
07-04-2015, 00:57
Flying into Georgia on the 6th, approach trail on the 7th and then starting on the 8th as well. I am also going solo and hope to meet people along the way. I just posted a pic of all my gear and can't wait to go. I have also been packing trying out everything. Still trying to figure out the best way to hook my umbrella to my pack. Anyway, might see you there.

LibertyBell
07-04-2015, 01:07
Hey there Kameyosekmoon, we are all people of color, just different colors. No matter the color, sounds like you have the right attitude and you might give me a little push when I need it. look forward to possible seeing you out there. I have a March 8th start date though.

g00gle
07-05-2015, 02:23
Trail Name: Google
Estimated Start Date: March 16th
Approach Trail: For sure!

Made possible thanks to the greatest wife on earth! :banana

I've dreamed of this all my life.

My only regret is that my brother can't get away to join me...

Neels_On_Wheels
07-05-2015, 12:15
Trail Name - I have no idea, but I've got nothing but time to figure it out. Maybe Neels On Wheels? Maybe just Neely?

Direction - SOBO. For several reasons, but mainly just out of necessity concerning my schedule. I'm sure that's the case with others as well.

Estimated Start Date - Between 28AUG - 01SEP of 2016.

Approach Trail - Unknown

Additional Information - 31 years old. Born and raised in Fort Worth, Texas. Went to a military college in Vermont (Norwich). Love me some New England. Got a degree in Business and went into the Army as an Infantry Officer. Served seven years to include several trips to the "Stan Land" and one to Iraq. Left the Army in December of 2013. Transition was difficult and I spent the better part of a year taking pre-requisite courses for a career that I finally realized was just a sound plan that I thought up in my military mind before I got out of the Army. As of March this year I'm tackling my Masters in Business. Hence the September start next year. I'm single, not married, no kids, so what better time to knock it out than right after finishing school? Before I'm sucked into a career and have to put my big boy pants back on.

I have grand ambitions of thru hiking the trail, but I'm also a realist and I know that any number of things could prevent that from happening. Just looking forward to researching, planning, training, networking, and attempting the journey. I kind of see it as a last patrol. Something tells me the experience might help me to clear some stuff out of the basement and get me ready to rock the real world again. Who knows. Looking forward to every bit of it.

Cheers!

hikeyours
07-06-2015, 00:45
trail name: ....
Est. Start: March 1st

Serendipity0513
07-06-2015, 14:57
(n.b. This profile is for my boyfriend and I)

Trail Name: None yet, Renée & John for now.
Date: Late March
Approach trail: Still deciding.

This is a lifelong dream of his. As for me, I've been thinking about doing this over the past 5 months or so. We are both very excited about it!

:sun

time4change
07-07-2015, 00:43
Trail Name: waiting for the trail to find out
Estimated Start Date: Mid March
Approach Trail: Yep
Any additional info that you want the world to know: I have wanted to do this for over 10 years..after going to college, having a handful of career changes and working in the corporate world, I am finally ready to give it all up and make some big changes in my life.

Neels_On_Wheels
07-07-2015, 05:11
I'm SOBO as well. Should be starting about one month behind you.

Neels_On_Wheels
07-07-2015, 05:14
Disregard previous message. I thought I was replying to someone else's message lol.

many_leaves
07-10-2015, 15:05
Trail name: Waiting for that one
Start date: Leaving Indiana March 17th, staying at hiker hostel, start approach trail on the 18th, and hopefully take my first steps on the AT on the 19th.
Approach trail: Most definitely

some additional info, i`ve had a couple **** eating jobs the last couple years and I feel I need to re-evaluate the direction I want my life to go in and just time to think and live life for once instead of the same crap day after day.

Tesla33
07-11-2015, 23:32
Trail Name-- Currently Awaiting
Direction-- North Bound
Estimated Start Date-- April 11th to avoid major crowds
Approach Trail -- yes

I've been planning this adventure since I was 15. My family took us kids on a vacation to GSMNP where I talked to two thru hikers atop clingmans dome. I've been hooked ever since. Currently working on a cruise ship as a lighting tech and saving for the trail and student loans as I'm fresh out of college.
One of my friends might do it with me, depends on his financial situation. I'm prepared to do it solo though. I'm just ready to experience the trail community, nature, and one hell of a journey. Can't wait to meet everyone! Happy Hiking!!!

Tesla33
07-11-2015, 23:37
I'm leaving April 11th! I'm looking at going solo, maybe two weeks with my father if he can make it out. Hope to see you there! Sounds like you've done it before. Thoughts for a first timer?

Cheers!

Tesla33
07-11-2015, 23:44
I just graduate OU like two months ago! Congrats! What was your major? I know so many OSU kids right now.

bcarter143
07-12-2015, 13:53
Name : no trail names yet just Brad and Bettinna for now

Start date: Mid February

Additional information- I am soon to retire, my husband already has and we have been preparing for the last couple of years to realize our dream of hiking the AT. We talked about it many years ago when we married but jobs, kids, etc made a thru hike impossible. Just getting our gear together and taking prep hikes to get as ready as we can !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LibertyBell
07-12-2015, 22:05
I just booked my AMTRAK ticket from Atlanta to Gainesville. Should be in Gainesville at 9PM on 03/06/16. Where to stay?? I am guessing there will be plenty of hotels in the area but will see if the hostel will pick up that late. I hope so as I would rather give my money to the folks helping out the hikers, and to visit of course. Retirement, December 12th.

JaketheFake
07-15-2015, 14:04
Trail Name- Jake the Fake
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date- April 1
Approach Trail - Yes

Originally from NJ, I have lived in Houston, TX a long time. I have been wanting to take a crack at the AT for many many years. I am a long time outdoorsman but I have not done a lot of long-distance hiking. I have several concerns one of them being the crowds next year. It's funny when people say wow you're going to be alone for 5 to 6 months I just laugh! I am addressing all other concerns that I have now which include physical preparation, mental preparation and buying enough quality stuff to make sure I don't go cold. My target date is April at one but I'm contemplating moving that up a week to try to avoid the craziness.

datl00k
07-16-2015, 09:58
Trail Name- none..yet!
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date- First week of March
Approach Trail- yes

From Chicago, IL- still so many months of waiting to go but I am getting so excited already. Can't wait to start! I am leaving a dead end job here in Chi and finally taking the time to do something real that I've always wanted to do.

TearDrop1776
07-19-2015, 00:39
Trail Name: Tear Drop
Estimated Start Date: March 1, 2016
Approach Trail - Yes
any additional info that you want the world to know: I attempted a thru-hike this past winter TWICE as well as attempted the Florida Trail. This is gonna be the year. ;) I look forward to seeing everyone of you out there.

g00gle
07-19-2015, 12:55
Trail Name: Tear Drop
Estimated Start Date: March 1, 2016
Approach Trail - Yes
any additional info that you want the world to know: I attempted a thru-hike this past winter TWICE as well as attempted the Florida Trail. This is gonna be the year. ;) I look forward to seeing everyone of you out there.

My closest friend sent me a random text yesterday (that I actually really needed, but I have no idea how he knew that was the perfect moment to send it!)

The message simply said, "Abandoning your goal over a set back is like slashing your other three car tires just because one went flat."

That quote vividly comes to mind (comes to life?) after reading your post and checking out your latest videos. You really should have posted this in that "Inspiration" thread I started on here because your passion and your commitment are the closest thing I've seen in years that represents my own thoughts and feelings about the trail and the wonderful community that populates and maintains it.

Hope to meet up with you out there!

TearDrop1776
07-19-2015, 16:36
My closest friend sent me a random text yesterday (that I actually really needed, but I have no idea how he knew that was the perfect moment to send it!)

The message simply said, "Abandoning your goal over a set back is like slashing your other three car tires just because one went flat."

That quote vividly comes to mind (comes to life?) after reading your post and checking out your latest videos. You really should have posted this in that "Inspiration" thread I started on here because your passion and your commitment are the closest thing I've seen in years that represents my own thoughts and feelings about the trail and the wonderful community that populates and maintains it.

Hope to meet up with you out there!

Bro, I really REALLY appreciate that man. Keep following the inspiration....The trail is OURS in 2016. There are gonna be a lot of people out there because of the Bill Bryson movie. I really appreciate you looking at my videos man and hope that we can meet up on the trail. I will be starting March 1st as you know and hopefully you will be out there too! Thank you to both you and your wife for watching my videos.

mountain squid
07-24-2015, 18:48
The spreadsheet is up and ready for viewing. You can find it here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2016thruhikers) or from the homepage, left panel, click on WhiteBlaze Thru-Hikers and then Class of 2016. (The page looks a little jumbled right now, but scroll down to see the spreadsheet.)

Let me know if there are any updates, omissions , or errors. Good Luck and Have Fun next year!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)

g00gle
07-24-2015, 19:12
Thanks, mountain squid! That makes a great reference. Already found some folks close to my area that I will message and see if they want to try some shake-down hikes later this year. Much appreciated!

tbrueck
07-25-2015, 21:07
Tim and Helen
Flip from Harper's Ferry
4/15 (ish) weather permitting

My wife and I are section hikers and annual Katahdin climbers that are finally getting on the trail for a thru-hike. Due to the popularity of the trail, we've decided to do a flip-flop to ease the stress on the trail.

ericmack
07-26-2015, 08:55
Trail name: tinman
Direction: nobo
Estimated start date: last few days in Feb/first few days in March
Approach trail: NO
Been training on Smoky Mountains-dislocated left artificial hip (right hip/right reverse shoulder replacements/spine fusion for half of spine too) on top of Mt. LeConte after Rainbow Falls hike up there. 36 hours wait for airevac. Nonetheless- physical therapy- sat phone - and lots of practice hikes/camping will hopefully have me ready...plus my beautiful super hiking wife is a doctor! Tinman fits since all this internal hardware might as well be tin :)

dbright
07-26-2015, 11:33
Trail Name Safeway
Direction NOBO
Start Date Fe29th
Approach Trail Yes

Franktopia
07-27-2015, 07:55
Trail name: Franktopia
Estimated start date: 3/1

Anyone from the Pittsburgh, PA area want to join me? [email protected]

dbright
07-27-2015, 08:35
Hope to see you on the trail

Brewerbob
07-27-2015, 15:10
Trail name: I haven't been given one yet. Until such time, I'll use my forum name BrewerBob.

Direction: Bit of a purist I'm afraid so I will be NOBO.

ETA: sometime between March '16 and March '36. Approached the manager at work about taking a 6 month leave of absence. It didn't sound very encouraging but he was going to look into it. I'll need to earn a living somehow when I get back. Having a job I can go right back into would be nice. Especially since I'll be using retirement money to pay the mortgage while away.

Approach Trail: See comment about purist; of course!!!

Additional info: When we all get stranded in a shelter Gilligan's Island style whatever shelter I'm in will have beer so stay close!!

Brewerbob
07-27-2015, 15:26
Trail Name: I don't have a trail name yet, however my name is Austin Braswell.
Direction: North Bound, GA-ME.
Estimated Start Date: April 1st.
Approach Trai: Yes

I cannot wait to see what magic the trail holds for me! I am graduating college in December and I figured this would be the perfect time for me to finally do this. I hope to make many new friends and see places of this country I have never witnessed before. Feel free to add me on Facebook if you'd like to link up at some point.

Happy Trails!

Just up the road from me. Hopefully I'll have the balls to ditch work even if they say they can't keep a position open for me for when I get back. Of course even if they didn't I may just jump to the PCT, CDT, or one of the other long distance trails and never come back to "civilized" life.

MountainLaurel
07-27-2015, 20:04
Trail Name - None yet
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - April 22 2016
Approach Trail - Yes

I graduated college May 2015 and don't have further school/a real job lined up yet. I work for a bicycle shop/outdoors store outside GSMNP in TN right now and plan to hike part of the trail with my Golden Retriever mix, Biscuit. I want to do the trail to clear my head and have time to figure out exactly what I want to do with my life. Right now I'll be hiking solo other than the dog.

sketcher709
07-29-2015, 22:54
Trail name: None yet although I have a friend who has proposed labeling me with "ziggy" because when we swim in the lake I go back and forth to get more distance to her straight line. For that I threaten to refer to her as Katz. :D

Direction:I'm hoping to start mid March/beginning of April and do a "Cool Breeze" except I will hike the first section south to north from Roanoke area to southern CT late June, Hike from Katahdin south, reaching southern Connecticut end of August/ early September. Hike from Troutville south, ending at Springer early November to mid November.

Estimated start Date: April 1ish

Approach trail: N/A

jamisonm
07-30-2015, 10:54
Don't have a trail name yet, so Jamison will work
Doing a flip flop starting in Harper's Ferry northbound, then back to go southbound
Starting May 15,2016 or so

Hiking to raise money for Extra-life.org, which benefits my local children's hospital, The Barbara Bush Children's Hospital in Portland, ME. Blogging about it on appalachiantrials.com

Zora
07-30-2015, 12:51
Trail Name - None. Zora for now, not my real name.
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - really not sure. I'll be posting and reading a lot here in next months to find out!
Approach Trail - probably not

I plan this to end my 1.5ish year, after university (again) - changing careers - figuring out what to do with my life trip.
No lomg trails yet though plan to do Annapurna in November, right now doing shorter treks in the 'stans.

I plan to travel hack this (since I seem to be much better at this than getting actual jobs) so I can afford it. I'll blog this part of it at least and maybe try to find a sponsor. Ideal would be to walk for a charity. We'll see...

HappyFiggy
08-03-2015, 03:51
Trail Name: Pages
Direction NOBO
Start date: April 1
Approach: Highly doubt it
Second attempt, this time solo. Currently training for a marathon, cross training with pack, and dropping at least 7 pounds off my pack weight.

FlipFlop2016
08-03-2015, 23:47
Trail Name none for now
Direction Flip flop starting NOBO from Harpers Ferry
Estimated Start Date May 1

Interested in connecting with people doing a flip flop especially from Harpers Ferry.

Larry53
08-04-2015, 19:09
Also trail nameless for now, we too are getting ready for our 2016 flip flop! You sound like us but younger. Planning, planning now that we have convinced our children we are serious. Hope to see you on the trail.

homeless
08-05-2015, 03:17
working with "homeless" for now. see you noboers early to mid march at the falls!

FlipFlop2016
08-05-2015, 15:07
Hi. Were will you all be starting? I am planning to flip flop from Harpers Ferry around May 1. We are in the same age range.

tnfilmmaker
08-05-2015, 15:41
Trail name : Don't have one yet but have one in mind.

Estimated start date: Between Feb 28th and March 4th

This will be my first attempt at hiking the entire AT. I have been planning, studying, training etc for this trip for awhile. It's really all I think about, which can be a little overwhelming. See everyone on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bird Dawg
08-05-2015, 23:41
Trail Name: Undecided at this time - but have a couple I like
Direction: NOBO - GA to ME but may consider a flip flop from Harper's Ferry
Estimated Start Date: Shooting for March 24, 2016
Approach Trail - yes or no: Will be doing a couple of shakeout hikes from Springer before I go and will do the approach trail then.

Foot injury postponed my AT Thru attempt in March of 2015. Working hard to get into shape, shake out gear and prepare for the mental challenge ahead. Hope to have the adventure of a lifetime and make a lot of friends doing it.

Replay
08-09-2015, 10:44
Trail Name: Huck
Direction: NOBO, considering flip flopping
Estimated Start Date: 3/15/2016
Approach Trail - no

I attempted a thru hike in 2015 but had to quit after just 100 miles due to an injury. One of the most difficult and disappointing decisions of my life. My first night on the trail, I was talking with a gentleman from Germany. It was his second attempt after having to leave the trail the previous year due to an injury. As it turned out, my hike ended at the same spot as his and with the same injury. ***! But to no avail, I will return in 2016 wiser and more knowledgeable...and will avoid talking to any Germans! Just kidding, one of the most interesting aspects of the trail is meeting people from all over the world and hearing their stories.

Thanks Mountain Squid. Look forward to seeing you again at the Springer parking area.

See you on the trail.

Huck

Replay
08-09-2015, 10:47
Let the trail name you. It's part of the adventure!

Huck

GolfHiker
08-09-2015, 18:23
Trail name: Golfhiker or Wedge Donovan, TBD
direction: Nobo
estimated start date: Mid June, retirement date is May 1, 2016.
approach trail: Sure.

Planning to begin in earnest in Jan. love it!

ruthsstewart
08-10-2015, 11:23
Trail Name : Don't have one yet
Direction : Northbound
Estimated Start Date : March 2016
Approach Trail - Yes

I have been thinking about doing this for some time now. I would consider myself somewhat of a backpacking beginner, but I am ready to tackle the AT!

HikerJ
08-10-2015, 18:43
Trail Name: Don't have one yet
Estimated Start Date: March 15th 2016

jbmundy87
08-11-2015, 10:45
Trail Name-- none yet
Direction -- north bound
Estimated Start Date -- april 17
Approach Trail - still deciding but probably not

This has been a dream of mine since I was 14 and started backpacking. Excited and nervous!!

cavemankid
08-13-2015, 21:59
I am looking for a co-hiker and am planning on starting in march I would like to try to complete the hike in about 4 months I am from Jefferson county MO.

cavemankid
08-13-2015, 22:08
trail name: not sure yet
direction:NOBO
est. start. march
approach: yes
i have wanted to do this or quite some time now and I am finally ready I am finishing up school this fall and plan to start about mid march. I would like to find a co-hiker.

jharbison
08-14-2015, 13:56
Trail Name: Pachuca Tuzo
Estimated Start Date: Feb. 28 or Mar. 1
Approach Trail - yes or no: TBD
any additional info that you want the world to know: I am currently living in Pachuca, Mexico at 8000' working, learning and training, trying to develop the mental toughness to enjoy the adventure.

Simpson
08-14-2015, 23:14
Trail Name: Don't have one yet
Estimated Start Date: Feb 28th 2016
Approach Trail: Not sure

Goatgas
08-18-2015, 22:40
Trail name: Goatgas
Estimated start date: Feb 22 2016
Approach Tail: Yes

Hess86NJ
08-19-2015, 12:54
Trail Name: (No trail name yet) (Real Name- Michael)
Starting: Possibly the second week in April
Approach Trail - I am thinking about it

I am an Eagle Scout ('04) but have stepped away from scouting. Unfortunately I haven't done any outdoor trips in a long time, I am feeling the urge to go back to nature and I think this is a great way to do it. Unfortunately I haven't done any practice hikes yet, but I think I am in good shape as I have completed running 2 half and 3 full marathon.

I have been wanting to do the AT Thru for a couple of years now. I have been doing some research, watching vlogs on youtube, and thinking about what gear I have and need. I've never done the thru hike and would like to meet and join people on the trail.

Snapranger
08-20-2015, 10:59
Starting late April or early May. No trail name yet. I will do the approach trail and head North. Gathering gear now and beginning to plan. My wife will join me for a few weeks, my children possibly too. My children and grandchildren call me Pappy. I will be 60 and a theatre scenic designer from Iowa.

Casey & Gina
08-21-2015, 02:35
Trail name: None yet, Lady None yet, and Baby None yet
Direction: SOBO (probably, may change our minds yet)
Estimated start date: Not yet decided, but early 2016

Lacking details for now, but we are definitely setting up to do this next year!

VSkyOnTheTrail
08-29-2015, 14:58
Trail Name -- No Trail name yet
Direction -- NoBo
Estimated Start Date -- Feb 29-Apr 1 (uncertain)
Approach Trail -- yes

Hi Everyone! I'm Paull (yep, 2 L's) and this is my first post! I've been reading the forums for a while now, I've just never actually registered to comment until now. Well, I've made the commitment to a 2016 Thru-Hike.

He's the backstory:
My 15.5 year old dog that I've had since he was 5 weeks old in February 2000 is starting to wind down to make his crossing over the Rainbow Bridge. This dude is as important to me as any parents kids are to them. He should be in HS right now LOL. I don't have kids and it's gonna be one of the hardest personal losses I'll ever have to deal with. I'm also a Marine combat vet with PTSD so I've made the commitment to thru-hike the AT to decompress and start fresh.
I live downtown Atlanta, I've got a really awesome home-life and and two fantastic people who will be a dependable support/logistics team for me and a cool job where I can take 6 months off to do this. I'll be 38, turning 39 on the trail in August 2016 and I always wanted to finish it before I turned 40.
Anywho, I'm not certain on my actual departure date because this is all contingent upon my pup and his quality of life. Next year is a leap year so the thought of stepping off on Feb 29 is pretty cool. That could also be a few weeks too early due to Georgia's winter this year 2015/16. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll be prepping and prepping and prepping. Cheers!

31795 31796

Casey & Gina
08-29-2015, 19:09
Hi Paull! It is always heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet - I can only imagine after so long of a relationship with one! I wish you the best of luck and offer my prayers, and hope to see you on the trail at some point!

Viper2016
08-29-2015, 21:47
Trail name : Viper
Direction : SOBO, leap-frog, this will be unique , there will be no approach.
Departure : about 01 May 2016
Comments : section hiked PA several years ago, been waiting for this opportunity ever since. Can't wait for retirement and to get out of a car and just hike.

Kontiki
08-30-2015, 10:08
Trail name: None yet (Real name -
Andy)
Directions: NOBO
Start Date: 1st week of April

Bubblehead
08-30-2015, 10:22
Bubblehead
NOBO section hike, Springer to Harper's Ferry
4/25/16

Career Naval submariner, hence the trail name Bubblehead...
Always a dream to hike the AT, my wife gave me the go ahead. Want to hike Springer to HF in '16, and HF to Katahadin in '17.

hooshr
08-30-2015, 17:33
Trail name: Hooshr
Start Date: March 22/23
Approach Trail: No

harrison92492
08-31-2015, 00:31
Harrison for now,
23. Nobo
Leaving april 1ish 1st week.
Dont think ill be doing the approach.
Contact me, north ga hiker. Lets get out there!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

owall83
09-01-2015, 23:13
Trail Name: TBD
Estimated Start Date: Late June, Early July
Approach Trail - Knifes Edge day before.
Working on saving enough money to hike the hike and pay the monthly expenses I'm walking away from as a Mid 30's hiker. I'll have enough money saved to start in early June, but want to wait for the bugs and high waters to die down (esp with El Nino). I'm going light weight and I have a Lighter Pack: http://lighterpack.com/r/4aqbrj For those interested. Starred items are
things I've already procured. Check out Backpacking Lights gear swap page in edition to the gear for sale here, I've gotten some great deals! http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=19

R1TenderFoot
09-02-2015, 12:50
Trail Name : ?????. Right now we are Ron, Silvia and Robin.
Direction : Flip then flop? NOBO from Daleville VA to start
Start Date : April 25th until it changes.
Told new wife we were going for a hike. She asked "Where we are going?"; I said "Georgia to Maine". She asked "How long would that take?"; I replied "6 months". She said "Hmmmmm, ok let's go!"
I love that woman

B.j. Clark
09-02-2015, 19:37
trail name: Beej
NOBO
ESD: April 20

Northstar
09-03-2015, 21:27
Trail name: Northstar

Northbound

Starting March 2, 2016

Approach Trail, Unlikely

Thru hiking the AT has been on my mind since 1974; I was 12. Ive done about 550 miles in seven sections. This past winter it occured to me that I probably wont be in better shape if I wait to retire so Ive been granted some time off this spring and will be off on March 2 with the hope of finishing by the end of July. Follow along at www.trailjournals.com/akamman (http://www.trailjournals.com/akamman)

Northstar
09-03-2015, 21:51
Hey Helo, sounds like weve had this on our minds for about the same number of years. Im starting on the 2nd. Our paths will lilely cross. Good luck! AL, Northstar

LibertyBell
09-04-2015, 12:54
After reading Northstar's entry it is good to see that there are other people out there following a long time dream of hiking the AT. I grew up in Monson Maine and the trail ran right behind our house and I have also been dreaming of one day hiking the AT. Since the early 70's as well. Now my hike will start on the 7th of March. I just can't wait. Retirement date: 11/02/2015 Bright Side

Derf
09-09-2015, 21:38
Trail Name :3_Mile and Little D
Direction : NOBO
Start Date : March 3rd

This is Little D's 2nd attempt and my 3rd. 2014 ended when Little D came down with severe foot issues in the Smokies, including the discover of a missing bone in her big toe. I left the trail after 440 miles after trying to go on without her and that did not work out. Then these year (2015) I did 1146.9 until I came down with Ehrlichia and Lyme disease. So if you think Lyme and rocky mountain spotted fever are nasty check out Ehrlichia and then add in Lyme I had one hell of a hike. Since my Doctors recommended that I not hike without someone to watch me my beautiful bride is heading back out with me. Oh by the way we will be starting in Springer, so the best of luck to all and hope to see you on the trail.

Here's to Now

AlyontheAT2016
09-09-2015, 22:42
trail name: I don't have one yet, and it'd be weird to give one to myself :)
direction: NOBO
start date: May 1
approach trail: most likely

caution squid
09-11-2015, 23:50
I am also doing a flip flop starting in Harpers Ferry in late April/possibly early May! Hope to see ya there!

aka.cyberman
09-12-2015, 15:27
Trail Name: cyberman
Start Date: February 27, 2016
Approach Trail: Undecided

If all goes as planned, I'll turn 64 on the trail. My left knee hurts just thinking about it.

Lambo
09-12-2015, 16:20
Trail name: Lambo Direction: SOBO Start date: Late June Approach trail: Probably not but im going to do a BMT NOBO thru hike to get me back home.

WazoAZ
09-13-2015, 21:59
Trail Name: Wazo
Direction : NOBO from Mt. Rogers NRA HQ (Marion, VA) from Katahdin will flip flop SOBO from Marion to Springer
Estimated Start Date around 3/10
Approach Trail - N/A

Spending lots of time looking and buying gear right now. I am interesting in meeting other people who are planning a flip flop. March will be here before we know it. Have been dreaming of this since 1985.

Mtsman
09-14-2015, 01:46
Trail Name: ill use my screen name until I get a trail name MtsMan
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date: Mid Feb
Approach Trail - yes or no: Unlikely

wdanner
09-14-2015, 15:15
Trail Name: That's for the AT to come up with
Estimated Start Date: June 15 - July 1
Approach Trail - TBD, feels less important for a SOBO hike (to me personally)
any additional info that you want the world to know - Maybe I'll actually be able to stand facial hair long enough to grow a beard for the first time in my life!

Smoky Spoon
09-14-2015, 15:49
Smoky Spoon....if you know anything about the AT then the name needs no explanation, if you need an explanation then maybe there are a few things you could still be learning about the AT friend.
Going from Georgia to Maine
Starting March 1st, 2016
Already did the approach trail a few years ago so will bypass it this time.
Retired and doing this will be marking off a bucket list item, the number one bucket list item.

Bubblehead
09-14-2015, 16:58
Update to my post last week:
Trail name: Bubblehead
Direction SOBO FROM HF to Springer
Estimated start date: last week of April

Walk4Good
09-15-2015, 11:00
Trail Name - None yet
Estimated Start Date: Flexible - anytime after July 1 (want to avoid black flies)
Approach Trail - Yes

Interested in hiking partners going SOBO. Might take one of my labrador retrievers on a section or two. Hiking to raise money for a woman suffering from ALS and looking for other hikers who want to hike with me and my non-profit www.Walk4Good.org. I'm not a speed-hiker, but am experienced.

JEgestad
09-17-2015, 04:15
trail name: no idea yet
direction: NOBO
start date: April 12
approach trail: havent decided yet

comming all the way from Denmark, really wanted to see the country the different way and not just standing in some queue in a big town

a bit of a noobie, havent hike for over 15 years, so will learn it the hard way, just need to plan it that better, aslong as i come in good shape and a big smile on my face, that can get me long

Crashcrew
09-17-2015, 11:57
Trail Name: Crash
Start Date: March 17
Approach Trail: Not Sure

Hiking solo, I've never hitched a ride before, just finishing my degree, served in the Marine Corps, three tours overseas.....

Fast is slow, slow is smooth
Slow is fast, fast is smooth

Semper Fi

VSkyOnTheTrail
09-18-2015, 00:41
Semper Fi, Marine. I'll see you on the trail, I'm sure. Get some!

Yuill
09-18-2015, 13:16
Trail Name: None given yet
Start Date: April 20

Currently reside in Michigan but I grew up in western Massachusetts and thru-hiking has been a lifelong dream of mine.

OrangeHillbilly
09-18-2015, 23:02
Woohoo!

Trail Name is Orange (was named last year)
Direction will be Northbound!
Start Date should be March firstish
Approach Trail shall be done

Last fall was a LASHer (long-ass section hiker), heading SOBO hiked from Harper's Ferry to Damascus. Oh-so-ready. There is a slight chance I'll change it up and head Southbound, but we'll see!

HazBen
09-19-2015, 21:55
Hi Class of 2016!
Trail names: HazBen and TowSack
Direction: flip/ flop starting from Harpers Ferry going north to Katahdin then from Harpers Ferry south to Springer
beginning around end of April or first of May when ever the Harpers Ferry Flip Flop Kick off Gang starts.
Hope to see you on the trail.

lpott
09-19-2015, 21:59
First post, first time committing to thru-hike to the internet community!

Trail name: to be determined, Lisa for now
Direction: Was thinking NOBO, but now the head start from Harpers Ferry is sounding pretty tempting. Don't need the crowds!
Start Date: March/April- maybe as late as the kick off in May?
Approach Trail: no thanks

Mostly geeking out about gear at the moment, just bought my first postal scale (!!!). Incredibly psyched to get out there and start this life-altering experience! I'll be going solo with my German Shepherd mix Hooyip, who's accompanied me on many miles at my current job as a trail worker.

cjatkinson
09-21-2015, 15:47
Trail name: ??
Est. Start: Late June

Hiking with one friend

cjatkinson
09-21-2015, 15:49
I'll be starting with a friend around the same time. We'll probably see each other!

Adagio123
09-21-2015, 17:39
This is my first time on this site -how do I get to the tru-hike registry

heckyesnugent
09-21-2015, 21:56
This is my first time on this site -how do I get to the tru-hike registry

Just post this stuff plus any other info you feel like giving here.

Trail name:
Direction:
Est. Start:
Approach trail:

The official registry on the AT website won't be open until December.

Fireplug
09-21-2015, 23:01
Trail name FIREPLUG. Planning on starting at Springer sometime in March all ultra light ZPACKs gear

k_marsh4
09-22-2015, 21:08
I currently don't have a trail name. I'll let you guys decide that for me. I'm a nobo hiker and I plan to start at the beginning of March. I'm not really sure if I'll do the approach trail or not. I am also looking for some partners so please contact me if anyone is interested!

Unbelievable
09-23-2015, 12:22
unbelievable
nobo
may 1
no
63 YY
Texan

Adagio123
09-23-2015, 19:23
Trail name Adagio
I will be doing a flip-flop starting May 1.
I don't know what you mean by approach trail?

Adagio123
09-23-2015, 19:24
Where ya gonna start unbelievable?

Adagio123
09-23-2015, 19:30
Looks like I'll be at the same place, same time- looking forward to meeting you

WazoAZ
09-23-2015, 19:39
Total change of plans

Estimated start date 2/25
Approach Trail - no

LibertyBell
09-24-2015, 11:11
Finally, some other west coasters on the registry. Etna CA, Ipott it Is good to see you on the registry. I am in Mt. Shasta area. PM me and we can talk gear/food/start dates etc. Retirement is only 5 weeks away and then food planning begins. Looking forward to March 6th. WOOHOO Bright Side

LibertyBell
09-24-2015, 11:17
Adagio123, if you want to look at the registry, go to post #99 in this thread and Mountian Squid has a link to the people that have registered their through hike. You can PM him from there as well and update your info.

Double Heart
09-24-2015, 11:49
TRAIL NAME: Double Heart
DIRECTION: Northbound
ESTIMATED START DATE: 15 FEB 2016
APPROACH TRAIL: Yes

This thru-hike I am conducted will benefit the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund (https://www.fallenheroesfund.org/), a leader in supporting the men and women of the United States Armed Forces, families of military personnel lost in service to our nation, and for severely wounded military personnel and veterans. My goal is to raise between $10,000 - $20,000 within 120 days.

showtime_
09-25-2015, 21:59
TRAIL NAME: Double Heart
DIRECTION: Northbound
ESTIMATED START DATE: 15 FEB 2016
APPROACH TRAIL: Yes

This thru-hike I am conducted will benefit the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund (https://www.fallenheroesfund.org/), a leader in supporting the men and women of the United States Armed Forces, families of military personnel lost in service to our nation, and for severely wounded military personnel and veterans. My goal is to raise between $10,000 - $20,000 within 120 days.

I could be wrong, but I think your start date and plan of doing the trail in 120 days puts you in Vermont during mud season... don't take my comment as canon, but it is worth checking up on. That wouldn't be very fun

Kaendris
09-26-2015, 11:55
Trail Name: ---------
EST Start: Early July, or immediately after 4th. Really feel like it depends on when Katahdin opens.
Approach Trail: Not for a SOBO.

So I am just throwing this out there. I see a lot of talk on these forums about the effect the Bryson inspired movie "A Walk in the Woods" is going to have on the numbers next year. I would like to float the idea that it is being over estimated. I saw the movie. Let me say it's no "Wild". It's more like a comedy.

When I saw "Wild" I wanted to grab a bag and go after. It made the discovery the trail provides the focus. "A Walk in the Woods" did not do that. It made me laugh.... but I felt no pull to hit the trail, and I've been planning the AT for about a year now.

I'm sure there will be an increase, there is every year right? But I doubt we are looking at anything close to the PCT problem "Wild" caused.

'Least this is the subtle hope of one quiet, solo hiker, looking to rest his weary mind in the silent song of nature.

Fireplug
09-26-2015, 16:04
Hey Kayla. I'll hike with ya. I'm planning early March sometime. Let me know. Alan ( fireplug )

dbright
09-26-2015, 16:04
What areyou guy's eating for lunch.

CaliCole
09-27-2015, 09:27
Trail Name: CaliCole
Estimated Start Date: 2nd week of March
Approach Trail: Probably not

Major changes in my life this past year. Really looking forward to leaving it all behind and recentering myself. I am quite the greenie when it comes to hiking and camping. Also training in Florida is a little challenging but I have joined the local chapter of the Florida Trail Association to get some practice hikes and camping in. What I lack in skills however is more than made up for in determination and desire!

Derf
09-27-2015, 10:09
What areyou guy's eating for lunch.

Loaded question my lunches changed just about every day this past year. It depend on where I was, coming out of town or going into town I really tried to change it up.

Larry53
09-27-2015, 15:14
Trail name: TowSack (Hiking partner) HazBen
Direction: NOBO from Harpers Ferry to Katadin then HF to Springer Flip Flop
estimated start date: last week of April or May 1
Approach Trail: we have hiked it in the past

(TowSack and HazBen)

Fireplug
09-27-2015, 18:52
Trail Name: CaliCole
Estimated Start Date: 2nd week of March
Approach Trail: Probably not

Major changes in my life this past year. Really looking forward to leaving it all behind and recentering myself. I am quite the greenie when it comes to hiking and camping. Also training in Florida is a little challenging but I have joined the local chapter of the Florida Trail Association to get some practice hikes and camping in. What I lack in skills however is more than made up for in determination and desire!

Calicole. I'm in Fla also. There is some great hiking trails over your way. If you don't have all your gear try Zpacks. They are over in Palm Bay. I love their gear. All ultra lightweight

mainelydave
09-27-2015, 20:11
Trail Name: I'll let it be given on the trail
Estimated Start Date: mid-March
Approach Trail - No
any additional info that you want the world to know: Been thinking about doing this for forty years. The time is now.

jcfjr
09-28-2015, 15:47
Trail Name: None, at the moment.
Estimated Start Date: March 22nd

I live in up-(mid)-state New York. Planning to grab a bus, most likely, down to Georgia. I graduated from college in 2014, have been working as a bouncer since then. I was fairly despondent after graduation and I lacked direction. I found out about the Appalachian Trail and thought to myself that it would be a great thing to do. It started off as a pipe-dream. I realized, though, that in my lack of direction, there was a certain freedom and that I could actually do this. I've been planning this thru-hike (as funds allow) since September of 2014. It's given me something to strive for and I've been re-energized. I welcome all advice!

TrekontheTrail
09-30-2015, 11:44
Trail Name: Trek
Est. Start: Mid-March
Approach Trail: Yep

Prov
09-30-2015, 12:05
Trail Name: Prov (I caught it in the Smokies because I always try to unload excessive stuff on thru-hikers when I am sectioning. Take trail mix! Take toilet paper! Why should I bring this stuff home with me? [And why did I pack eight pounds of trail mix and two rolls of t.p.?] I walked into a shelter and someone announced, "The Provider is here".)
Estimated Start Date: April 19thish
Approach Trail: Nope. Been there, done that. It is nice. I just don't need to do it again.

I've sectioned the first 700 miles over four trips (plus another 60 random miles). In the past few years, rather than spending time on the AT, I've spent my time and money exploring national parks, and heading out to trek internationally (Nepal, Pyrenees).
Very early this year I spent a few days on the trail in Shenandoah. I remembered how simple and wonderful it was to wake up everyday and hike like it is your job. I pushed out her travel out of my brain and decided now is a great time to finally hike the whole trail. I always work like a madwoman and hoard my pennies for travel. It is worth it to get to have an experience like this.

I plan on avoiding shelters like the plague (which they probably contain), hitting interesting blue blazed trails, biking in Damascus, trying out rafting at the NOC, and enjoying the journey.

TheOriginalRusty
10-01-2015, 18:05
Starting a NOBO thru hike early March...not sure of the exact date but sometime within the first week. Yes on the approach trail. While I have quite a bit of hiking and primitive camping experience, this will be my first long-distance thru-hike. I'll be quitting my job in CA where I stare at two large computer screens all day, in favor of spending 5 months outside. This has been in the works for several years so I'm looking forward to heading to GA. See you on the trail!

- The Original Rusty

Jakesdad1
10-02-2015, 19:27
Trail Name: Pilgrim
Estimated Start Date: 3nd week of Feb
Approach Trail: Of course

3rd attempt.

Gottab
10-03-2015, 14:19
Trail name gottab
direction nobo
estimated start date February 1 need to start early cause of work. Have plenty of winter hiking/camping experience so things will be fine.... Just slow I would imagine
approach trail yes

MinersLettuce
10-04-2015, 14:07
Trail name: none yet. Toiling Midget? (I'm short & work hard.)
Estimated start: end of April

I've wanted to thru hike the AT for 40 years. My dad attempted it in the late 80s - early 90s, when he was about the same age that I am now. He stopped after 500 miles of walking wet (he unfortunately chose one of the rainiest years to go), but then section hiked the rest of the trail over several years. I accompanied him on some of those hikes, including the hike up Mt. Katahdin. It was very inspiring to see other people finishing their thru hikes, and made me want to do it even more. Two years ago, I walked 1000 miles across part of France and all of northern Spain, and loved the experience of walking for hours every day. The AT will be much more difficult, but I look forward to it.

mountain squid
10-05-2015, 19:37
Over 150 on the spreadsheet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/2016thruhikers.php) so far! Let me know if there are any updates or mistakes.

I noticed it is a little bit more difficult to find from the homepage. From the left pane, Menu: click on Appalachian Trail Information and then on White Blaze thru hikers. Select 'Class of 2016'.

Good Luck and Have Fun everyone!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Pots
10-05-2015, 20:16
Trail name: none yet. Tyler for now
Estimated start: Mid february (Aiming for 15th)

I'm a 17 year old graduating high school early so I can attempt a thru hike before college. Lets hope all goes well! I've done a bit of backpacking but I am a big camper and I love hiking in general.

Casey & Gina
10-06-2015, 12:34
Trail name: None yet, Lady None yet, and Baby None yet
Direction: SOBO (probably, may change our minds yet)
Estimated start date: Not yet decided, but early 2016

Lacking details for now, but we are definitely setting up to do this next year!

Well my trail name will be Crow. My wife still hasn't decided and we haven't come up with anything for our son. We are pretty attached to the notion of a southbound hike, but are feeling eager and may not want to wait until Baxter opens, so that may be the deciding factor and result in us doing a northbound hike. I am utterly bored and frustrated with my job - really ready to just leave it behind and hit the trail! I hit the three-year mark in January, bonuses are paid in February, and don't want to stick around much later than that.

GolfHiker
10-06-2015, 15:21
Mountain Squid... In my initial post ( #121) I suggested a choice of trail names... what was I thinking? After hiking the past 15+ years as golfhiker, I am golfhiker, so golfhiker will be my official name in 2016!

Starting plans are still based on retiring on May 1, 2016, and heading out (NOBO) in late May or early June, whatever make the most sense.

Midlifer
10-06-2015, 20:54
Trail name:Midlifer
Headed Nobo on the AT
Starting March 15 or so

looking forward to my first thru hike, well any backpacking since about 1988!! Avid camper just haven't carried it all with me in a long time. See you in the trail!

Midlifer
Mike Doolittle

claymoreclampitt
10-08-2015, 21:09
Claymore
NOBO
March 25th....ish
Open to the approach....probably.
I'm attempting a thru hike. I'm in no hurry and not planning to follow any strict schedule. I want to stay on the trail as long as the desire exists and finish in Maine. I'm from Meridian, Idaho and have been totally consumed for a couple months now with AT research and reading about others experiences. I look forward to meeting all you thru hikers on the trail!

ReiserT
10-09-2015, 06:36
Iceman
Northbound/flipflop: GA-CT, some other stuff, then i'll jump back and do ME-CT mid/late July
January 25th- February 1st
However I can get up there
Totally stoked about it

Cotton Terry
10-09-2015, 20:54
Trail Name: Cotton
Estimated Start: March 16th
Approach Trail: No, I hiked that this spring

Last May, I hiked the Approach Trail to Neel's Gap. I got a chance to see that section with leaves, check my gear and see if I had any problems with the hills. Everything went very well and looking forward to March.

Viper2016
10-10-2015, 20:54
Looks like I'll be seeing a lot of hikers. Firmed up logistics...starting north Adams about 2 May,2 months south, back to katahdin, 2 months south, bounce to first stopping point, south to finish. Approach trail is "exit" trail. That's my alternate hike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Gottab
10-14-2015, 18:38
Hey iceman I'm leaving beginning of February and looking for another hiker to start out with

Gottab
10-14-2015, 18:42
Starting around February 1st-15 and looking for others to start out with

lexasaur
10-18-2015, 12:11
Trail name: None yet!
Start date: Mid-March
Approach trail: Yes, for now!

Wooobie
10-18-2015, 23:05
Trail Name: Woobie

Estimated Start Date: March 2016

Approach Trail - yes or no: Probably, only because i dont want to hear "awee you diddnt do the approach?!"

Just completed the Colorado Trail, figured id just shove all my **** back into my bag and do the AT. No planning just hopping on.

stargirl525
10-19-2015, 20:54
Trail Name: I don't have one yet!
Estimated Start Date: April 6
Approach Trail - yes
I'm a geologist and love being outside. Ive been planning on doing this for a while and I'm excited this is finally happening. I was initially going to hike early March but I'm hoping to avoid some of the crowd by starting in April. Good luck everybody!

StarDust
10-20-2015, 16:07
Trail Name: Stardust
Estimated Start Date: March 21-ish
Approach Trail: Probably

Here it goes!!!

kenl
10-29-2015, 09:32
Name: Ken
Trail Name: tbd
Start Date: March 18 or March 25
Nobo

I've been unemployed for about 1.5 years now and my wife proposed that if I don't find a job by April (okay March) why don't you attempt a thru hike. She was very philosophical adding, I know you've always wanted to do it and the window on your ability to realistically complete it is closing (I'm 59). A great gesture on her part and I'm definitely torn between the job search and the prep!

Phoenix23
10-30-2015, 12:58
Trail name: not sure yet
Starting: 18th March
Approach trail: Yes for now

Finally making it a reality!

salsi
10-31-2015, 02:06
Trail Name: None Yet
Direction: Nobo
Estimated Start Date: Mid March
Approach Trail - yes or no: Yes

A68
11-04-2015, 16:37
Trail Name: None yet

Estimated Start Date: March 4th

Approach Trail?: Most likely yes

Taking a semester off from college to hopefully accomplish what I've dreamt about for years. Plan to hammock the whole way through. March can't get here soon enough.

Gentle
11-04-2015, 16:43
Trail Name: Gentle & Zeb

Direction: SOBO from Front Royal or Harper's Ferry (haven't decided yet) will be finishing hike I started with my first dog Barney (Dino) in 2001 but had to stop for health issue... circle of life I guess.

Estimated start: sometime in mid April...weather permitting.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

lwhikerchris
11-06-2015, 11:45
Name: Chris
Direction: north
Estimated start: end of February

I had received some life set-backs and am seeking clarity and good health.

Harper's Tarry
11-07-2015, 10:40
Trail name: none yet. Beth and Jordan for now
Estimated start: March 28
Approach Trail: probably

This has been a dream of ours since we got married, and the time is finally right in our lives to make it a reality. Excitedly and nervously counting down the next four months!

iris8
11-07-2015, 18:10
Trail Name: Iris
Direction: North
Estimated Start Date: May 13 2016
any additional info: section hiking

Direction: North
Estimated Start Date: May 20 2016
additional info: section hiking

Eamonn
11-09-2015, 17:43
Trail name: none yet

estimated start date: mid March

Approach trail: of course!

Has been a dream for a long time now, but honestly I just need to go live in the wild for a little while. I can't wait!

coyote9
11-10-2015, 00:56
Trail Name MGD
Direction North
Estimated Start Date Jan 1 (sect hike til last day of classes)
Approach Trail - yes or no IDK
any additional info that you want the world to know We cant talk about that on here ;)

rickysch87
11-10-2015, 01:23
Trail Name: NO Ideas yet
Estimated Start Date: Mid March ( want to beat all of the "a walk in the woods" crowds ).
Approach Trail - most definitely
Always wanted to do this since I was a kid. Since the company I work for wants to keep laying me off I'm going to take advantage of the time!

coyote9
11-10-2015, 13:18
Are going to Traildays? Is that why the 13th start date?

coyote9
11-10-2015, 13:20
I didnt see the movie. Do you think it will cause a huge increase of hikers this year?

MN Star
11-11-2015, 18:44
No name yet, Dawn for now :)
NOBO
End of March or Early April
No approach trail
This is my first attempt, however I am quite determined!

jdavis7590
11-11-2015, 19:41
Trail name: Skywalker and Lil Bit
NOBO
March 1st
Yes to approach trail

Az Hiker 2016
11-13-2015, 18:41
Trail name: none yet
Flip Flop starting in Harpers Ferry going north
May 1st

AlyontheAT2016
11-17-2015, 14:21
I already replied to this thread but I just wanted to announce that I've changed my NOBO start date from May 1 to April 24

Aussie_donkey
11-18-2015, 04:46
Trail Names: Bean Dip and (no name yet - mum)
Direction: Flip flop starting in Harper's Ferry late April
Finished the trail in 2014, now mum wants to have a go so we're doing it again!

Eamonn
11-18-2015, 10:28
Hey guys, already registered here, I'll be starting my NOBO in March of 2016. Just thought I'd share my blog about the experience. I got a bit carried away with it.

Www.fightflightorhike.wordpress.com

Check it out! And thanks, can't wait to meet you guys out on the trail!

La-Luna
11-18-2015, 11:05
Trail name: Patiently Awaiting One
Estimated start: March 15-April 15 (Depends on what life hits me with next.)
Approach Trail: Yes!

Fireplug
11-20-2015, 18:11
La-Luna. Gainesville Fl or Gainesville Ga?

Babwe Geek
11-22-2015, 01:59
Babwe Geek
NOBO
10th March 2016
Approach Trail - Yes
Will stay at Hiker Hostel in Dohlonega before start .... join me.

bugeyemonster
11-23-2015, 07:27
No trail name
Ill be hiking north bound
will start with in the first half of March

I am from Columbus Ohio but now live in Riga Latvia. I hope to complete the trail in 4.5 months.

Lifersol
11-27-2015, 15:49
Trail Name: None Yet
Estimated Start Date: Mar 1st
Approach Trail - yes or no: Probably not

I am from Maine, I'm retired military and looking to have fun and to hike the entire way bar anything severe happening.

poustinik
11-27-2015, 19:07
No trail name yet.
NOBO
March 2016
Maybe

alavallee
11-30-2015, 15:15
Trail names: Mama Bear, Monkey, Skipper

Start: April 19, 2016

Approach: Springer

Mama and 2 of my boys ages 10&14. Going until 2nd week of August. Probably won't make it to the end but we'll go as far as we can. Wicked psyched!!

hayeskw
11-30-2015, 16:55
Direction: little flip, lotsa flop (Erwin south, then Erwin north)
Est. Start: mid-April

This has been in the works since 2000. Only now mentally and physically tough enough to even start.

Edit: only doing 4-5 weeks this year. It's either that or end a marriage. Going SOBO from Harper's ferry to Erwin, starting between mid April and mid May

Sent from my XT1019 using Tapatalk

Quick_2016
11-30-2015, 20:57
Trail name: Quick

ESD: 21 February

Mom told me 30 years ago I could hike it when I'm older ... here we are!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hooshr
11-30-2015, 21:09
Changed from NOBO 2017 to NOBO 2016 as a result of company acquisition and job loss. Planned to retire end of 2016, but my plans were moved up for me.

Trail Name: Hooshr
ESD: March 23 - Registered with ATC yesterday
Approach Trail: No, already hiked Approach Trail

4 months until I begin my expedition.

tbrueck
11-30-2015, 21:13
Where can you see how many people are planning on leaving on a specific date and place? I thought I saw one way back when on the ATC site, but now I can't find it.

Mongo

RainbowExpress
12-01-2015, 11:09
Trail Name: Rainbow Express
Direction: Flip Flop GA->NY<-ME
Estimated Start Date: March 18th 2016
Approach Trail - No
Thru hiked the AT in 1980 as Rainbow Express as well. Harald Fraude from Ulster Park NY. Retired from IBM in July 2015 as a Senior Engineer

BLOG: http://www.trailjournals.com/RainbowExpress

Adagio123
12-01-2015, 12:42
tral name: Adagio Blue
Direction: Nobo
Est. Start: Feb. 12 hike for six days/March 14 hike for six more days/May1 hike to Maine
Springer Mt.

HighLow
12-01-2015, 15:37
Trail Name: Bells
Start: March mid
Approach Trail: hell yes

NoBo till the wheels off and Ill see you fine folks there!

LAZ
12-02-2015, 00:12
Trail Name: Dancer
Direction: Flip Flop, Current plan is to start just before the entrance to the SNP, hike north to Katahdin, back to starting point and south to Springer. I originally intended a NOBO hike, so am still making plan adjustments.
Estimated Start Date: April 4
I'm partially blind and hiking with my guide dog, trail name: Wild Thing, who is a German Shepherd.
I decided on this plan four months ago and am already experiencing that Mental challange people talk about as being bigger than the physical ddifficulty. I'm someone who does well with spontaneity, not so good at long term planning, but it was clear to me that this is something that requires real planning. So I'm slogging through. I certainly have a lot to get done by then - anyone know anyone who wants to sublet a great room in a great location in Manhattan for about 7 months?

Cannon
12-02-2015, 16:58
Officially throwing my bandana into the ring.

Trail Name:
Start Date: End of March
Approach Trail: Most likely.

Been doing a bunch of research and shakedowns. Have about 95% of my gear, just waiting on the weather!

The Wanna Bs
12-03-2015, 00:53
Trail name: The Wanna Bs (2)
Direction: flip-flop
Start Date: April 14th if all goes as planned
Starting point : undetermined (could use some advice there)
Approach trail: not as we approach but maybe at the end.
Current location and home base: Dallas, TX

This B of the Wanna Bs has dreamed of hiking the AT since a teen and have sucked my paired B into the dream. We will be starting on our 43rd anniversary. W

MinnesotaRambler
12-03-2015, 13:58
Trail Name: None as of yet
Estimated Start Date: First week of April

I moved back home with my parents for the last year and a half at the age of 31. This is what allowed me to save up enough money for my trip. I have done all of my backpacking in the upper midwest. With the majority of it done in northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Spent 2011-2014 living in Duluth, MN where I was able to refine my different hiking systems and test out all of my gear. Getting really excited to get out there on the trail. At this point in my planning I am getting excited, a little nervous, anxious, and getting quite the itchy foot. See you all out there.

mossy.oak
12-04-2015, 00:41
No trail name yet, they call me Caleb
NOBO fo' sho'
I'm waiting on the weather to tell me when to start; planning on late February/ early March as of today.
Appraoch trail: sure, why not? Go big or go home, right?

Recent college graduate from Mississippi, I've been working at a hatchery in Sitka, Alaska, to finance this beast. I've been wanting to do this for around ten years now. LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!!!

SIMPLE MAN
12-04-2015, 22:03
SIMPLE MAN- I'LL be hiking north to Maine hopefully in early March if I can get the home stuff aligned.Approach trail - yes. Gear mostly done , will be hiking alot in beautiful Upstate NY weather till start date.

Sarcasm the elf
12-04-2015, 22:09
SIMPLE MAN- I'LL be hiking north to Maine hopefully in early March if I can get the home stuff aligned.Approach trail - yes. Gear mostly done , will be hiking alot in beautiful Upstate NY weather till start date.

:welcome

I hope you realize that every time I see your screen name I'm going to get that Skynard song stuck in my head. :D

Enjoy the upstate NY winter hiking. You'll probably get a good laugh when the hikers down in Georgia are complaining about the cold next spring.

Lachlan
12-05-2015, 00:43
Trail Name: I was Felo in 2010, though may take on a new one this year
Est. start: Early March
Approach trail: unsure

Couple days ago I decided to do a thru-hike this spring. If anyone is interested in doing some multi-day trips in preparation before spring, or are looking for laid back experienced hikers to start with I may be interested. Im also on Facebook, Lachlan Ross from Bradford PA.

MinnesotaRambler
12-05-2015, 02:04
I plan on starting in the first week of April. I'll be the guy from Minnesota with the Superior Hiking Trail tattoo on my calf.