PDA

View Full Version : Way Early Thru Hike Wannabe Warning long post

gracebowen
04-21-2015, 22:54
I have thought about hiking the Appalachian trail many times in the past. I couldn't because of kids, pets and taking care of my mom.

About a month ago I was like wow my daughter is almost 18. I can maybe go in 3 years. At that point maybe my daughter will be mature enough to take over my job.

I am my mom's provider and you have to be 18 to have the job. So I told my daughter hey when you turn 18 I want you to take my job so I can go hike the AT.

She wants to go too. We will see if she changes her mind. If she still wants to go we will have to wait 2 years till my son is old enough to hold my job.

I have read a lot here. 300 dollar challenge, 30 lb pack weight, more hiking, gear shake down etc.

Right now Transpo by Amtrack will cost 400 to Harpers Ferry. We will hike North to Maine. Return to HF by somehow getting to DC and taking the. MTARC(sp). Then hike ND to GA. Return home undecided. Hoping timing will work out so my brother can come get us. We live in TX.

I see a lot saying mail drops of food are not necessary. We do have medicine we will need daily. Even without that I went to the POINT and got a large box and packed it almost like I was gonna hike. I did not puncture the bags to remove air. I was surprised by how much food I could get in there. Probably too much for 2 people for 3 to 5 days. Definitely too much if I hike alone and only put food.

I have also done creative things like figuring out you can add an entire 8 oz or 220 thin pretzel sticks to a can of Pringles (Pringles still in can). I will also probably pack crackers into empty Pringles containers and add trail mix or something. In areas where one can't access a grocery store I found that I can pack at least as much food value I to the box as shipping cost. This can potentially save me money.

I would have to plan well to avoid getting tired of food but hey I have time lol.

I an planning 5 to 7 miles only per day to start.
I can't decide on shelter. Nor can I decide what to try first.

I have seen a 65l internal frame backpack on eBay at $30. It weighs 1.53lbs.

I bought a blow up mattress for the pool and slept on it for 2 nights. Comfortable. Looking for lightweight ways to increase durability. For example coat with leftover stay cool roof coating. Getting old air mattress and making g liner. Also trying to figure how to deflate completely and quickly.

Wal-Mart has a sleeping bag rates 40 degrees that feels very light. I have not taken my scale to weigh it yet. I have several fleece blankets. Silk instead as a liner? I have read posts that say no to Wal-Mart gear but never a why. Has anyone ever used one on the AT

It has occurred to me that when my feet swell I might also need new socks.

There wad something else I thought of but I can't remember right now.

I'm gonna either buy no serum for head to toe or make my own gear.

Can deer ticks get thru pantyhose if not too hot to wear. Or the no seeum.

I'm seriously considering buying an alcohol stove from EBAY as my fine motor skills are lacking and my attempt to make my own ended in a nasty cut. Then again there's the cat food stove that looks easier to make.

Any constructive criticism or gems of advice are welcome.

Oh and woohoo if I get to go I might get to accomplish more I always wanted tos.

I know I get to see My Rushmore. Will I get to see DC or New York? Depends on money.

Oh yeah one more thing. I will be on a budget. I will not be a mooch or a killjoy. I can go to a fancy restaurant and just order a tea or a cheap side and water. I've done it.

Many times in the past I've ate food I don't like because it's what I have. My daughter eats food she doesn't like be cause I cooked it.

I'm happy with a dollar fifty burger from McDonald's.

What I would like advice on even though it will change at least I can get an ideal.

Everywhere I've read names towns but not miles between the places. Including the post office list. Maybe it's too much work but I'd love to know miles.

Where the trail goes thru the zoo can thru hikers take some time to visit the zoo or must they stay on the trail. I'd clean up first of course.

gracebowen
04-21-2015, 23:09
Ps I'm not trying to come across as a know it all. I just wanted to let y'all know where I'm at and some things I have at least thought about.

rhjanes
04-21-2015, 23:33
Not sure what all are questions. ??
Walmart stuff is usually heavy and won't hold up.
Look for Permethrin to treat all clothes with. Google "Sticks Blog Permethrin" for a great write up, DIY process. I did NOT treat my clothes on a hike up in Arkansas. My buddy had. I had a LOT more ticks crawling on me.
Use DEET when around bugs.
Read some Trail Journals (free).
Budget for the trip? Some say it is POSSIBLE to do it for $1 a mile. But that is getting hard to do. And that is per-person.
General health? Start doing some day hikes. Then add in weekend shake down hikes. LEave work Friday, go home, change, pick up the backpack and drive somewhere. Even a state park with a lot of trails. Set up. Sleep. Eat trail food. Get up the next day, pack up and hike all day.
On meds, you can have a home-base person mail them to you. You can also walk in any drug store and have them call your home pharmacy and transfer up a refill you.

Trailweaver
04-22-2015, 01:16
Repeat after me: I will not buy Wal-Mart gear. He's right. . . it will not hold up, and then you end up spending more money to get gear that will. I guarantee you that a Wal-Mart 40 degree rated bag would not keep you warm at 50 degrees.

Also, read those trail journals!!! If you want to know what it's like, read several different people's journals. Pick someone who is close to your age and read what they think about the miles, the cold, the heat, the pain, the thrills. (trailjournals.com and others, too)

You could buy a trail guide book, or maybe check one out of the library. They would give you the miles and a description of the trail. There is a book for every state. Get one from an outfitters, or order it from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. They are interesting to read, even if you don't get to do the hike.

I have not been, so I'm not sure where the trail goes thru the zoo, but yes, you can visit the zoo - probably do have to pay admission.

Read the posts here regularly - lots of info.

And do the practice hikes. The more you know before you start, the less you have to learn the hard way.

swjohnsey
04-22-2015, 04:00
Do you know where Mt Rushmore is? You sound like you are setting yourself up for disappointment and will end up like most (80%) not making it. First off I would recommend just hiking south to north without all the flopping around. You can get in to see NYC and Washington, DC. and can actually see them from the trail in a couple of spots.

Before you spend lots of time and money get some gear and go hike the Lone Star Trail in East Texas, about 100 miles or walk to the top of Guadalupe Peak in West Texas. Both will give you some idea of what the AT is like.

Starchild
04-22-2015, 06:48
Does your daughter want to 'do the trail' or 'do the trail with you'? If it's really the former I would let her go as she may start a career and then, as you know, it may be very hard for her to get that chance again. If she wants to do it with you then wait till your son is old enough.

naturlred
04-22-2015, 07:28
You will be very sorry you bought Walmart gear.

Buy from REI,take out the membership to earn money and then if you hate the practice hikes/camping etc. you can return it all for full refund. Nothing lost that way.

gracebowen
04-22-2015, 09:46
I must be mistaken. I thought the AT went right by Mt Rushmore. Oh well no biggie. I'm not sure why exactly shewants to go. When it's time if she still wants to go she can. I hope she does but it's her choice.

I'm flipping to avoid weather extremes and get some actual trail experience before the 100 mile wilderness.

I will look into REI.

When I go if I don't make the whole trail at least I'll have a successful section hike but I don't plan to fail.

I am planning a camping trip for Thanksgiving. I don't hike as often as I should but when I do I usually go for about 2 miles. Yeah not far compared to 2000. But I think pretty good for hadn't been in 4 months and 5 6 at 190 lbs.

I already lost 30 lbs. Need to lose more.

I w

rhjanes
04-22-2015, 10:20
Mt Rushmore is in South Dakota. Unless there is another much less famous one. Get a last-years trail guide. you can pick those up for like half price. Read trail journals. The Lone Star Trail is an excellent idea. However, plan for water stops and it is basically flat. You won't be challenged much as far as climbs on that. There is a "hammock Hangers Forum" (I can post a link) and they have around 4 "hangs" a year and several are on the LST. You could go and see some gear as we/they do set up at a parking lot, have a pot-luck, sleep and the next day take off on a 5 to 15 mile hike. They often hike like 5 miles to a lake. Set up. Those that want to hike more, just toss some stuff in the pack (lunch, snack, water) and keep going, returning at evening.

Keep getting in shape. I spend 20 minutes on a stair climber, around 3 times a week. Do eliptical. My evening walks are around 3 to 4 miles a night. I do those 2 to 5 days a week. On the weekend, I hike 8.4 miles, every week, on a trail. And when I go up to Arkansas and hike some "hills" they still kick my butt.

The purpose of the weekend hikes is to do gear shake downs. You have your car and can even have several different options of gear. Say a alcohol stove and a canister you borrowed. Try them both out. Hike, return to the campsite and set up again. It's forecast to rain this weekend? Go anyway. Set up in the rain. You learn by doing, asking questions, studying options (there are thousands) to find what works for you.

Here is a link to the Lone Star Trail. Maps and such.
click this

(http://lonestartrail.org/)

Slo-go'en
04-22-2015, 10:36
I must be mistaken. I thought the AT went right by Mt Rushmore. Oh well no biggie. I'm not sure why exactly she wants to go. When it's time if she still wants to go she can. I hope she does but it's her choice.

She wants to go because you want to go and have been talking about it, likely in romantic terms.

Well, best of luck to you. You'll have to start saving up as much money as you can, looking for deals on equipment and try to get some actual experience. The reality of the trail can come as a shock to many people as it is nothing like what they envisioned it to be.

gracebowen
04-22-2015, 13:03
She wants to go because you want to go and have been talking about it, likely in romantic terms.

Well, best of luck to you. You'll have to start saving up as much money as you can, looking for deals on equipment and try to get some actual experience. The reality of the trail can come as a shock to many people as it is nothing like what they envisioned it to be.

It's likely that she thinks it's just going to be all fun and games. I've explained to het that it's hard and 2000plus miles. My son didn't get it till I mentioned 14 states and he said oh check no.

Either she'll learn and have realistic expectations and still want to go, or change her mind. If she goes she will either make it or not and I will enjoy her company while she is there.

Rocket Jones
04-22-2015, 14:38
My son didn't get it till I mentioned 14 states and he said oh check no.

15 states. You forgot South Dakota. ;)

canoe
04-22-2015, 14:55
Hhhmmmm.....

MuddyWaters
04-22-2015, 19:16
Many people that have over-romanticized the notion of hiking the AT, dont get out of GA.

Its much harder work than they ever thought it could be, hiking up steep, rocky, rooted, mountain trail with a heavy pack. Uphill climbs last for a couple of hours at a time. Breathing hard and sweating profusely is the name of the game.

Rain sucks. Hiking in the rain sucks more. Hiking in the cold rain for days straight with everything you own wet sucks worse, hiking in the cold rain with blisters and sores on feet sends people home..

Its a vacation. It takes money, nothings free. The more you spend and splurge, the easier it is to tolerate the bad times. Lack of money is a major reason people quit.

4shot
04-22-2015, 20:00
If you walk by Mt.Rushmore on your thru you will have my utmost respect. but the purists here will be hatin' because of the extraordinary amount of yellow and/or blue blazin' involved. But hey, HYOH, right? If you have no idea what this post means, please hang around and read this site for awhile. Best wishes on your hike.

FWIW, if i was going to include Mt. Rushmore on my thru, I would want to hit SD on the first weekend of pheasant season. that would requite the Cool Breeze, double flip, in and out half gainer flip flop hike which you can read about on various places on the internet. Regarding lightweight shotguns, I think Remington makes the best but the super ultra light hikers who hit SD for pheasant hunting on the way to Katadhin will carry titanium slingshots with holes drilled in the handles and then find pebbles to use for ammunition. But they really don't want to be bothered with cooking pheasant for dinner either.

On my way back to the trail, I would probably stop by Cleveland to see the rock and roll Hall of Fame and then go see Buffalo, NY. But that is just me because I have never met anybody who has been or even wanted to go to Buffalo, NY. You can pick up the Long Trail nearby cause it's in one of those really small states up there that are all sort of cluttered up on the map where you can walk across like 7 states in 36 hours and pay $45 for a cheeseburger at a convenience store but when you do, stop by the Long Trail Inn because they have really good beer on tap.

PM me if you have any further questions.

clayzoo
04-24-2015, 11:01
I think you mean mt Washington because that is on the AT. Maybe you mixed up george Washington being on mt Rushmore and mt Washington haha