PDA

View Full Version : How is the Weather and Water right now in...

Lion King
11-09-2005, 14:21
GA NC/TN?

Im going off tomorrow to hike from Dicks Creek to Fontana, if possible.

I figure a good 10-dayer would be nice right about now.

Anyone know how it looks right now up there?

Nightwalker
11-09-2005, 18:54
GA NC/TN?

Im going off tomorrow to hike from Dicks Creek to Fontana, if possible.

I figure a good 10-dayer would be nice right about now.

Anyone know how it looks right now up there?
The water is really iffy. Normally moderate-flowing springs are seepers; shallow and filled with salamanders. Make sure that your filter will reach into a shallow pool. Wrap a bandana or silt filter around the inlet.

I usually don't carry a filter, but will on my next no-recent-rain hike, just for ease of getting water. Wish I had on my most recent one! I dipped, used coffee filters for silt removal, then used chlorine. No problems, just aggravating.

Skidsteer
11-09-2005, 19:07
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Franklin&state=NC&site=GSP
Weather report if you need it. Good hiking!

Lion King
11-10-2005, 05:46
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Franklin&state=NC&site=GSP
Weather report if you need it. Good hiking!

WoW!

Looks great!

Chilly at Night, but hey, thats all cool!

Damn, 50-70's days and clear nights till Sunday next.

oh, and I dont filter, so I will just have to make do I reckon, and thanks guys.

orangebug
11-10-2005, 08:54
I tried using Weather.Gov to get similar information, but just don't know how to interpret the stuff. I'm curious about the water situation north of Damascus for 2 weeks away, but can't get info on stream flow, ground water levels and such. Googling found nice info on the 2002 drought level, but not much about 2005.

Anyone know how to get this information, short of picking up the phone and asking MRO?

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 08:56
Water was an issue at times for me on my last hike, and the weather could change day to day. One night it was in the 20s and then the next day it was in the 80s. This weekend I heard we could get down into the 30s locally, so maybe the 20s at altitude. No significant rain fall, so plan for dry stretches.

Nean
11-10-2005, 11:07
We got a good rain last night, so I hope that helps. The springs around here are down to a trickle, Jerrys Cabin is dry- but this weather has been fantastic. See you soon LK

Lion King
11-10-2005, 15:16
We got a good rain last night, so I hope that helps. The springs around here are down to a trickle, Jerrys Cabin is dry- but this weather has been fantastic. See you soon LK

Yeah man, Im trying to get fund together for my little project.

:D