PDA

View Full Version : NY hike May 31 - June 5, 2015, Hudson River to Kent, CT?

Rain Man
04-22-2015, 12:49
I'm planning to hike from the Hudson River (Bear Mountain State Park) to approximately Kent, CT the first week of June (beginning May 31st). Three hikers from Nashville are planning to hike with me (2 men, 2 women) and perhaps a WhiteBlazer. If anyone else is interested, feel free to drop me a line.

So, questions: How will the black flies and bugs be? I've heard bad things about them in June, further north.

Any good places to eat/resupply along the trail that you'd care to recommend?

Is it legal/illegal to camp along the trail? I see that shelters can be few and far between along some of this section of trail. I doubt if we'll do any/many 15-mile days. Probably will be more like 12-milers. Just guessing.

I considered the trail in NY south of the Hudson to be much more difficult than the profile map might indicate. Is it similar north of the Hudson?

Any concerns about water?

How to get from Kent (or area) back to NYC (perhaps Newark airport)?

I thank you all in advance for answers, suggestions, warnings, and "not to miss" hints! They're much appreciated!

Rain Man

joshuasdad
04-22-2015, 13:35
I found north of the Hudson to be much easier than south of the Hudson. I recall that one is supposed to sleep in the shelters or designated campsites, though I saw a lot of not so stealthy (illegal) sites as well. Getting good water was more difficult than most of the AT (this is generally a heavily populated area), but I hiked in a hotter/drier time. Logistics for this hike are easy. Take a bus from NYC to Bear Mountain, for return, walk or take shuttle to commuter rail line from near Kent, CT (e.g., shuttle from http://www.bcoutfitters.com/index.html).

Bus to Bear Mountain: http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Bear+Mountain&s2=NY&resultId=11240&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Fss%2Etickets%2Easp&cbid=134091325920

Metro North train back:

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/schedules.htm (Harlem Line, Tenmile River is closest to Kent --OR-- you can walk a couple miles to HM Valley-Wingdale from Hoyt Rd @ the CT/NY border)

Have fun!

Old Grouse
04-22-2015, 14:33
If you're going to actually end up in Kent, check with the outfitter there. I believe they provide shuttles over to the Metro North Harlem Valley line (basically the next valley to the west). Kent itself has no public transportation to speak of. There's bus service from New Milford (next town south of Kent on Rte 7) that will connect you with interstate bus and rail options, but you'd be better served on the Harlem line to NYC.

Slo-go'en
04-22-2015, 14:36
That's a real mellow section. Getting from shelter to shelter will not be a problem. I kinda liked that section. It was a pleasant walk in the woods. Mosquito's would likely be the only real pest. Water sources are a bit scarce, I'd be leery of taking water out of any of the ponds or streams along there.

linus72
05-07-2015, 14:36
We did many shuttles with dave at backcountry outfitters in kent while doing the ct portion of the trail last year. i think its only 10ish miles to the harlem valley metro north from kent. one thing to note for sure is don't drink any water from the housatonic river, even to filter. its polluted with PCBs, sadly. we've been working on the CT/NY border to hudson river this season. did section 2 two weeks ago - there were a lot of water sources and wiley shelter has plenty of tent sites and a beautiful sunrise. doing section 3 next weekend, will report back anything on that section. native landscapes in pawling has some resupply food, and i believe they let you tent there if you need to in the backyard but double check with them. and say hi to my new bovine friends by the water tower! would appreciate any feedback on the section from the bear mtn bridge to rt 52 in the pawling area after you complete your section. have fun!

Another Kevin
05-07-2015, 19:20
It's pretty easy trail. The shelters seem awkwardly spaced, but the only unavoidable long day if you're starting from the Bear Mountain Bridge is probably the first one. Assuming that the 6.4 miles to Graymoor isn't going to satisfy, you're really looking at 14.5 to Dennytown Road. But that's easy enough that I could do it readily with a decently early start, and I very seldom plan more than 8-12 mile days myself.

After that the remaining days are in the 9-11 mile range, if you do RPH, Morgan Stewart, Telephone Pioneers, and either Wiley or Ten Mile River.

By the time typical thru-hikers are doing this stretch, they're doing 20-mile days on a trail this easy, so the usual itinerary is West Mountain - Graymoor - RPH or West Mountain - Dennytown - Morgan Stewart. Essentially, a thru-hiker on this stretch will visit every other shelter.

(Of course, there's no shelter at Dennytown, but camping is permitted for A-T hikers, the last I heard. It's also occasionally possible to pay for a site in Fahnestock.)

Enjoy! I can't really afford to take a week off right now, or I might be asking to join you. I haven't done the stretch from Fahnestock to Kent in many years.

Rain Man
05-21-2015, 10:01
Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments! Plans are falling into place. I think there are 4 Nashville hikers and one or two WB hikers who are going on this hike. Should be a lot of fun and fairly leisurely outing.

After this, I will have walked every step from GA to New England! Plus, I've done all of NH. In September, I'm headed back to Maine for a couple of weeks, picking up at Grafton Notch State Park.

FUN year!

If anyone would like to come out and hike a day or two in NY with us, or just meet for a meal, just give a shout and let's work something out.

I'm hoping to get to do the One World Observation decks at the Freedom Tower at the site of the World Trade Center, on the way up or back, as we travel through Manhattan. But with it just opening next weekend, it may be booked solid. We shall see. Last year I did get to visit the WTC Memorial site.

Rain Man

rustmd
05-21-2015, 10:31
i am planning to do this section in mid-july. . .mohican center, NJ to kent, CT. this info is very helpful.

.com

rocketsocks
05-21-2015, 11:20
Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments! Plans are falling into place. I think there are 4 Nashville hikers and one or two WB hikers who are going on this hike. Should be a lot of fun and fairly leisurely outing.

After this, I will have walked every step from GA to New England! Plus, I've done all of NH. In September, I'm headed back to Maine for a couple of weeks, picking up at Grafton Notch State Park.

FUN year!

If anyone would like to come out and hike a day or two in NY with us, or just meet for a meal, just give a shout and let's work something out.

I'm hoping to get to do the One World Observation decks at the Freedom Tower at the site of the World Trade Center, on the way up or back, as we travel through Manhattan. But with it just opening next weekend, it may be booked solid. We shall see. Last year I did get to visit the WTC Memorial site.

Rain Manyour gettin' there Rainman. As the saying goes "there comin' around the club house turn" have a goodn'

Rain Man
05-21-2015, 18:36
i am planning to do this section in mid-july. . .mohican center, NJ to kent, CT. this info is very helpful.

I did those miles the last two years from Delaware Water Gap, that is.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-22-2015, 02:30
Ah Rainman.....I wish we could be there for you this year! However, my hubby and I are heading out from 5/27 to 6/3 on a trip to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Later in June Snacktime and I will be heading out to do our NJ section, but you'll be well out of the area by then I suppose. :(

Rain Man
05-22-2015, 08:06
Ah Rain Man.....I wish we could be there for you this year! However, my hubby and I are heading out from 5/27 to 6/3 on a trip to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Later in June Snacktime and I will be heading out to do our NJ section, but you'll be well out of the area by then I suppose. :(

Well, I'll sure miss y'all this year. You sure went above-and-beyond last time! I still talk about you two. Just another example of how amazing I find the AT community to be and how far out of their way folks will go to be kind and helpful.

Congrats on your 40th and best to you both! This year is ours, also. We had some plans for it, but will be in Boston instead, visiting a new grandbaby just about then. A nice anniversary "gift" from our daughter!

It's possible that I'll be back some time this Fall to pick up in CT after doing my Maine hike in early September. If so, I'll post another thread and maybe can see you then. Otherwise, it'll be next Spring.

:)

bemental
05-22-2015, 19:46
Just outside of Kent tonight at the shelter. Mosquitoes are absolutely nuts.

Be prepared.

bears12th
05-22-2015, 19:50
I'm going from the iron bridge north starting in six days. Looks to be hot and wet then they say. I don't like this mosquito talk. Lol. Be safe all.

bears12th
05-22-2015, 19:51
I'm going from the iron bridge north starting in six days. Looks to be hot and wet then they say. I don't like this mosquito talk. Lol. Be safe all.
Iron Bridge At Falls Village, ct that is.

Sarcasm the elf
05-22-2015, 23:32
Rain Man,

As I started to type a response I sadly realized that I did not write down all the details of the several hikes I have taken in this section so apologies in advance, I am writing from memory:

Starting from Bear mountain SP, North you hit the end of the "Deli Belt" The first couple of days you will pass food options either on trail or very close. If I recall correctly, there was a gas station with a deli right on trail at the crossing of NY Route 9, and then another a short distance from either route 55 or route 52 (possibly both, check the current guidebook to see what is still there). The trail North of the Hudson is much less deceptive than the South of the Hudson section is on the map. I don't use the word easy to describe any of the A.T. but the part you plan to hike is one of the more reasonable sections and it doesn't have all of that between the contour-lines torture that the Southern part of the NY section is known for. The first section of CT that you are hiking is fairly easy and while I have not been there, I have heard good things about Fife and Drum restaurant in Kent.

The whole section is marked as designate campsites only and unfortunately no dispersed camping is allowed. That said if you are tenting there should be enough sites to make for reasonable days. Fires are allowed in established firepits in NY, but CT has a fire ban. Regarding water I would be a little bit wary, I live about an hour away from the trail and a lot of the smaller streams that should be running this time of year are dry. If I were hiking this section right now I would err on the side of caution and carry a bit more water from the more reliable sources.

One more note, Bear Mountain State park includes a small zoo and set of native American and colonial museums which focus on the local area and region. These are located just South of Bear Mountain Bridge and if you are interested in local history or wildlife you should give yourself a bit more time to check these out, assuming you pass through the area when they are open.

Of course, have fun and enjoy the hike!

Sarcasm the elf
05-22-2015, 23:34
Oh, and bring an hat and bug headnet this time of year. Deet and permethrin treated clothes would be wise to bring as well.

Rain Man
05-23-2015, 19:13
Just outside of Kent tonight at the shelter. Mosquitoes are absolutely nuts.

Be prepared.

JUST picked up a bottle of stuff at REI this afternoon, which a friend there swore by. He went into a Florida swamp with it last week and didn't get bit.

I'll take it and my usual DEET, plus my cothing and gear is treated with Permethrin. And I was planning to take a head net anyway.

I'll warn the rest of my crew, too.

Thanks for the warning!

Rain Man
05-23-2015, 19:17
One more note, Bear Mountain State park includes a small zoo and set of native American and colonial museums which focus on the local area and region. These are located just South of Bear Mountain Bridge and if you are interested in local history or wildlife you should give yourself a bit more time to check these out, assuming you pass through the area when they are open.

Thanks for all the info! We do plan to get a late start from Bear Mountain SP, in part just so we can go through the Zoo and the lowest point on the AT. We're only hiking to Graymoor Spiritual Life Center the first day. We scored rooms there, which include dinner and breakfast!

Rain Man
05-23-2015, 19:20
Anybody who might be interested in doing a shuttle for another WBer coming up from Maryland? We hope he can leave his car in Kent and get a shuttle down to Bear Mountain (but the outfitter can't do it that Saturday, May 30). In the alternative, perhaps we could get his car shuttled from Bear Mountain to Kent, during the days we are hiking?

Anyway, just thought I'd ask.

Rain Man
06-08-2015, 15:05
Finished the hike Friday in Kent as planned. Not home yet (in DC being a Grandpa). Home tomorrow night. Trip report later this week.

Will report lots of fun and great people. Three days of rain and three days of sunshine.

Lots of water to be had. Bugs not bad at all.

One more State checked off. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
06-08-2015, 16:14
Well, I'll sure miss y'all this year. You sure went above-and-beyond last time! I still talk about you two. Just another example of how amazing I find the AT community to be and how far out of their way folks will go to be kind and helpful.

Congrats on your 40th and best to you both! This year is ours, also. We had some plans for it, but will be in Boston instead, visiting a new grandbaby just about then. A nice anniversary "gift" from our daughter!

It's possible that I'll be back some time this Fall to pick up in CT after doing my Maine hike in early September. If so, I'll post another thread and maybe can see you then. Otherwise, it'll be next Spring.

I know your trip is done now, and I hope you had a great time, but I just noticed what you wrote here. ANOTHER GRANDBABY? CONGRATULATIONS! Didn't you visit a new grandbaby in Boston last year? (or am I completely confused - as usual these days?)

Rain Man
06-08-2015, 17:45
Did't you visit a new grandbaby in Boston last year? (or am I completely confused - as usual these days?)

Completely confused. ;) I had hoped to hike in Maine last August, via Boston to visit my daughter. But those plans got canceled.

Rain Man
06-12-2015, 19:20
Here is a link to my photo album of our 64-mile, 6-day hike from Bear Mtn SP, NY to Kent, CT--

Link to Photo Album. (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/all_photos/?photoAlbumId=26189083) I have not yet proofed it.

I'm happy to answer any easy questions! We had a great hike, with all water sources flowing freely, and no problem with bugs.

We did have three days of rain and drizzle and then three days of sunshine and blue skies.

Rain Man

P.S. Teacher, you will appreciate the last photo. ;)

rocketsocks
06-12-2015, 22:11
Thanks for posting Rain Man, all the pictures are beautiful and so are your girls...I think the little one looks like you a bit. Another beauty trip report.