PDA

View Full Version : ULA Corcuit or ULA OHM 2.0?

Pumba
04-22-2015, 23:47
Which one would YOU buy and why? I understand there is a weight difference, but also a difference in the frame/support. I'd like to get some opinions before I bite the bullet and buy one of these.

Donde
04-23-2015, 00:52
I would buy the one designed to haul the weight and volume of gear I anticipate hauling. The answer to this question is entirely dependent on what you are planning to do with it? Is this for weekends, a thru hike of the AT or hiking in area that requires bear cans? etc. etc.

You might consider calling ULA and telling them what you want to do and asking which they suggest, their service is second to none.

Astro
04-23-2015, 00:59
Good feedback from Donde. Two years ago my dilemma was between the Catalyst and Circuit. I went with the Catalyst, but since then both my tent and bag have reduced in size and weight. So while I am happy with my Catalyst, if I was to do it right now I would go with the Circuit.

Pumba
04-23-2015, 01:13
It's not for a through hike. Right now it would be for trips a week or less. Thinking of section hiking from boiling Springs to Harpers Ferry in the fall. Planning on going with a UL tent which I have yet to purchase, a quilt and insulated pad and canister stove.

OwenM
04-23-2015, 01:39
Packs are best purchased last, if possible, ideally tried on in person with your actual gear. ULA makes nice packs. I've tried on the Circuit and Catalyst "just to see", and didn't find them particularly comfortable. That means nothing to you, because we're all different(plenty of people love them), and I can't even pinpoint what it was I didn't care for about them. My criteria includes a suspended mesh back panel for ventilation, so I wouldn't have bought either, anyway. Do pay attention to the specs for the actual packbag, as these are smaller packs than the listed totals imply. The Circuit, for instance, lists at 4200ci/68L *total*, but is actually about a 40L pack. Seems obvious from the specs page, but I've seen people make that very mistake when listing packs they're considering buying.

Donde
04-23-2015, 04:52
In general if you want to be able to stay out for a week I would say the Ohm is going to be a bit small; Owen however is absolutely right you are putting the cart before the horse, get your other gear first. If you have the right setup an Ohm may be good for a week trip but only if everything else fits right; a lot of people get a nice UL pack and then hate it and find it uncomfortable because they overload it. A little extra weight is well worth it for adequate suspension to carry your load comfortably. For example I use ULA for most of my needs, but if I am out for a long haul or carrying lots of winter gear, or tons of water I switch to a huge Osprey with great suspension. This is not about getting the better pack is it about getting the right pack for your needs.

MuddyWaters
04-23-2015, 07:47
The circuit stripped of accessories weighs minimally more than the Ohm 2.0., maybe 5 oz.

map man
04-23-2015, 08:11
If you are going to be carrying more than 25 pounds very frequently I would go with the Circuit. If you are under 25 pounds most of the time, but just occasionally carrying 25-30 pounds, then the Ohm 2.0 will do.

I own an Ohm 2.0 and find that it's important to keep the waist belt tight enough to keep most of the weight off my shoulders -- though I suppose the same can be said for most packs.

A packing tip for either of these packs: fill the main cylinder full before putting stuff into the mesh pocket. Filling the mesh pocket first will cut down on how much you can get into the main cylinder.

Donde
04-23-2015, 08:14
The circuit stripped of accessories weighs minimally more than the Ohm 2.0., maybe 5 oz.

You can strip down that Ohm as well for the same savings so the 10 oz differential remains pretty much the same.

Venchka
04-23-2015, 08:43
A larger pack can always be compressed around a smaller load.
Unfortunately, smaller packs don't come with a built in pack stretcher if your load exceeds the pack's capacity.
Comparing the Circuit (the largest ULA pack) to the Ohm 2.0 (2 sizes smaller than the Circuit) opens the door to splitting the difference and buying the Catalyst.
A weeks worth of groceries and clothes for a Fall hike could easily take up more space than your quilt and tent. Get everything together first. Then shop for a pack.

Wayne

swisscross
04-23-2015, 09:35
A larger pack can always be compressed around a smaller load.
Unfortunately, smaller packs don't come with a built in pack stretcher if your load exceeds the pack's capacity.
Comparing the Circuit (the largest ULA pack) to the Ohm 2.0 (2 sizes smaller than the Circuit) opens the door to splitting the difference and buying the Catalyst.
A weeks worth of groceries and clothes for a Fall hike could easily take up more space than your quilt and tent. Get everything together first. Then shop for a pack.

Wayne

Actually the Circuit is their mid sized pack.
I find the Circuit huge for my kit and I am no where ultra light.
The decision for me was based on the future need of a bear can.
If I were to hike in cold weather the extra size will be nice but I tend to hike in the shoulder seasons and don't need bulky clothes.

Venchka
04-23-2015, 11:08
OOPS! Sorry. It was too early for analytical thought.
I would still err on the side of slightly greater volume for those times when the weather or trip length dictate more stuff in my pack.
"It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Wayne

bigcranky
04-23-2015, 11:59
I would say if you don't know, then get the Circuit. I have owned both, and sold the Ohm for a second Circuit (my hiking partner has the first one). The Ohm seems similar but for me the total weight really had to be at 25 pounds or less -- and with 5 or 6 days of food and a liter of water that means, for me, a 10-12 pound base weight.

If you already have a 10 pound base, then go for the Ohm.

Bluegrass
04-23-2015, 12:55
I admit I am a bit of a gear nut, but a pack is one place where having multiple, or at least two, can make sense. I am ordering an OHM 2.0 as my primary pack, but I also have a REI Flash 62 for when I need more room. This can include group hikes where I am going with friends and therefore a) not going as far and b) want to carry more luxury items. This can also include longer trips out (7-10 days) and colder weather camping where I am carrying heavier and bulkier equipment.

As a "one sized fits all" pack, I would say the Circuit is probably going to fit more types of trips than the OHM 2.0, but if your trips tend to use the same gear each time and the OHM 2.0 works...

(This ignores an old Gregory Forrester, the REI Flash 45, and numerous day-pack sized packs floating in my equipment room).

Mooselook Marty
04-23-2015, 12:56
Do pay attention to the specs for the actual packbag, as these are smaller packs than the listed totals imply. The Circuit, for instance, lists at 4200ci/68L *total*, but is actually about a 40L pack. Seems obvious from the specs page, but I've seen people make that very mistake when listing packs they're considering buying.

Is the Circuit really only a 40L pack? That is surprising to me.

Thanks

Pumba
04-23-2015, 13:22
Thanks for the input guys. I was also eyeing the new Osprey Atmos 50, but that is a much heavier pack and I was trying to reduce weight and as far as price, the ULA is very comparable if not less expensive depending on the model. I will hold off on the pack and gather the rest of my gear first. That sounds like sound advice.

Donde
04-23-2015, 13:29
Is the Circuit really only a 40L pack? That is surprising to me.

Thanks

No its not really a 40L pack, but Owen is right its not really a 68L pack either.

OwenM
04-23-2015, 14:03
ULA's 2400ci number comes out to 39.3L for the main packbag, but my impressions were that its capacity was similar to the Exos 46 I had at the time(noticeably roomier than my newer Exos 38), and comparable with most 45-50L packs. Guess it kind of remakes the point that you need to try them in person.

FamilyGuy
04-23-2015, 14:10
There really isn't a huge difference in suspension between the packs. The Circuit comes with an additional stay (removable) but it really isn't that stiff. I can easily bend it with one hand. It does have an external backpad, however. I have used both packs and contend that both have the same carry load and that the stay really makes very little difference. The Circuit is larger, however and if you are packing a light, larger volume load, this may be the better choice. Personally, I would choose the OHM as it is lighter, compresses much, much better (I don't think there is a better compression system on the market currently) and it large enough.

The OHM 2.0 is really the reincarnation of the early version of the Circuit which weighed just under 2lbs.

Rex Clifton
04-23-2015, 16:16
If you decide to go with the Ohm check out the Gossamer Gear Gorilla before you buy. I bought both and returned the Ohm. The Gorilla is an awesome pack. Some people are put off because it does not have load lifters but, given this packs design, you don't need them.

JasonByers
04-25-2015, 11:44
I'd go Circuit. As said before it's for sure not a 70l pack but is quite large for a lightweight gear list. The pack cinches down just fine for smaller loads in the summer or just stuff everything in loose for a fuller pack. Carries great either way! I'll admit I've never carried the Ohm though, the reason I picked the circuit was for a slightly better frame, slightly larger volume, better durability for just a minimal weight penalty.

FamilyGuy
04-26-2015, 01:09
The Circuit is more durable? How so?

Donde
04-26-2015, 03:21
The Circuit is more durable? How so?

I share your doubt given that they are made of the same materials by the same people.

Traffic Jam
04-26-2015, 18:09
Which one would YOU buy and why? I understand there is a weight difference, but also a difference in the frame/support. I'd like to get some opinions before I bite the bullet and buy one of these.

I own both packs and the Circuit works better for me. The OHM puts too much pressure on my lower back, causing hip and back pain. I need the support system in the Circuit.

I love the front mesh pocket on the OHM. The one on the Circuit with the bungee is awkward. When I fill the front pocket with my gear, it stretches the bungee to it's max and then creates a narrowing towards the top of the pack, so that the gear in the main compartment, above the bungee, bulges out (I hope that makes sense). The mesh on the OHM has the perfect amount of "give".

I also love the side pockets of the OHM, the elastic is perfect and holds everything in. On the Circuit, you have to adjust the bungees...I often have things fall out when I take my pack off and find this irritating.

If I get motivated, I'm going to put the support frame from the Circuit into the OHM to create the perfect pack for me.

Namtrag
09-21-2015, 14:34
I just bought my wife an Ohm, and it arrived over the weekend...much to her dismay, the front pocket is not a stretchy mesh, but instead a fairly rigid construction. I am not thinking much of anything will fit in it once the pack is filled inside. The body will expand and make the space available in the front pocket disappear. Does anyone have an idea why ULA decided to do such a bonehead design change?

bigcranky
09-21-2015, 14:42
I just bought my wife an Ohm, and it arrived over the weekend...much to her dismay, the front pocket is not a stretchy mesh,

Noooooooooooo! That was one of the best features of the Ohm! (And I got it on my Circuit too.)

Namtrag
09-21-2015, 14:43
Noooooooooooo! That was one of the best features of the Ohm! (And I got it on my Circuit too.)

I thought she was going to cry when she saw it. We are very, very disappointed to say the least. It would be the perfect pack for her as she typically carries about 18-20 lbs on our trips. Notice that they have nothing in the pocket for the photo...it's because only skinny stuff will fit now.

I will give a report later. We just got back from a trip yesterday, so my wife is going to transfer her gear over to the Ohm to see how it fits, and to see if the front pocket is useful with the pack full.

bigcranky
09-21-2015, 15:43
Man, I packed that front pocket full of so much crap - I mean, I can barely list it all. Tent, rain shell, wind shirt, pack cover, snow stake, TP, gloves, hat, map and journal, ground sheet, empty sawyer squeese bags, and more that I forget now. The most useful feature on the Ohm, and so glad I got it on my Circuit (R.I.P.) My new Zpacks pack has a nice front pocket, but not the same.

Studlintsean
09-21-2015, 16:15
Man, I packed that front pocket full of so much crap - I mean, I can barely list it all. Tent, rain shell, wind shirt, pack cover, snow stake, TP, gloves, hat, map and journal, ground sheet, empty sawyer squeese bags, and more that I forget now. The most useful feature on the Ohm, and so glad I got it on my Circuit (R.I.P.) My new Zpacks pack has a nice front pocket, but not the same.

I will second that. The front pocket (looks different than the pic so I am assuming you like the one (mesh) that I have). My front pocket normally holds:

Rain Jacket
Rain Pants
Ditty bag with FAK
2 Liter Platypus
Liquor Bottle
Ground Sheet (when tarping)
Gloves
Beannie
Other stuff as needed.

gbolt
09-21-2015, 20:17
I thought she was going to cry when she saw it. We are very, very disappointed to say the least. It would be the perfect pack for her as she typically carries about 18-20 lbs on our trips. Notice that they have nothing in the pocket for the photo...it's because only skinny stuff will fit now.

I will give a report later. We just got back from a trip yesterday, so my wife is going to transfer her gear over to the Ohm to see how it fits, and to see if the front pocket is useful with the pack full.

I felt the same way when my Ohm arrived, especially since I purchased it over the Circuit that had the mesh with more give in it. However, after using it all spring and summer I am glad it is the way it is. The previous mesh snags and gets holes very easily. It may stretch more but that gain is offset by a loss in durability. The Ohm's front pocket is for items that you need access to on the trail. I still stuff a Rain Jacket, Pants, Windjacket and a small stuff sac with gloves, hat, mittens and balaclava in it. I have yet to fill the pocket or wished I had more capacity. I also was suprised that the side pockets help take the strain off the front mesh. I store my Sawyer Squeeze Kit and Cook Kit in one pocket and a Gatorade Bottle, Dutch Sit pade and a Toiletry sac in the other. I still have the side yellow cord to hold tarps or tents, should I desire. Currently I hammock and throw those in the pack on top of quilts and cloths but under food sack with room to spare. Two smart water bottles on the front straps with the yellow bungee carriers. Don't forget the two front pockets - one holds my pack cover and headlamp. That doesn't leave much for the actual pack! Hold on making a report until after she not only transfers gear but moves it around to find the proverbial perfect "place for everything and everything in it's place". I think she will agree with Syntax99's wife that is pleased with the Ohm she just received.

As for the OP. Everyone has offered great advice. I myself tried on and started with an Ospry Exos 48 to replace an REI Wonderland Trekker External Frame. I then was sold on the Circuit. However, when I completed my list and weighed everything, I found out that I could go with the Ohm. To me, the key is weight. Over 32 Lbs. including food, I would go with the Circuit. Under that weight I would go Ohm. I have not pushed the capacity of the Ohm as of yet. The only concern I have remaining, is the ability of the Ohm to carry a Bear Vault; I have heard some have done it without issues. May or may not be a concern and the only reason I would purchase the Larger Circuit. Either way, not sure you can go wrong and either will go for a fast resale.

hayshaker170
09-22-2015, 12:50
I don't think the OHM is designed to carry a bear canister either. If that matters.

Namtrag
09-22-2015, 13:02
Thanks everyone for the responses.

My wife took her gear out of her old pack and transferred it over to the Ohm...the front pocket was pretty disappointing, as she could only fit a few things in it, but overall, she loved the way the pack felt when she put it on, which trumps everything. All her gear will fit easily, and she said she can learn to live without the stretchy pocket. She said she could barely feel the pack when she put it on. She didn't adjust anything the first time except for the load lifters, and the pack fit her great.

Coffee
09-22-2015, 14:22
I just bought my wife an Ohm, and it arrived over the weekend...much to her dismay, the front pocket is not a stretchy mesh, but instead a fairly rigid construction. I am not thinking much of anything will fit in it once the pack is filled inside. The body will expand and make the space available in the front pocket disappear. Does anyone have an idea why ULA decided to do such a bonehead design change?

When I recently ordered a CDT it also didn't have the "stretchy mesh" but instead the mesh that I have on my Circuit. I asked Chris about it and he said that the supplier of the stretchy mesh went out of business and they have not been able to find another supplier with a quality product. So they went to the two way mesh used on the Circuit/Catalyst. I expected the stretchy mesh when I ordered by the more rigid mesh has turned out ok so far.

MuddyWaters
09-22-2015, 21:42

Yep, without the stretch pocket, its not nearly as big of a pack. I could get about the same in my Ohm as my circuit due to the stretchy mesh. This is a significant blow to the Ohm IMO.

FamilyGuy
09-30-2015, 12:51
Yep, without the stretch pocket, its not nearly as big of a pack. I could get about the same in my Ohm as my circuit due to the stretchy mesh. This is a significant blow to the Ohm IMO.

It is also considerably lighter than the Circuit so at least there is that.

emilialovve
06-08-2017, 23:39
Does anyone know if the ULA circuit holds a bear vault 450 well?

MuddyWaters
06-09-2017, 00:06
Bear cans fit vertically

How well depends on what else you have to fit.

lonehiker
06-09-2017, 00:18
A Backpackers Cache dimensions 12" X 8.5" will fit in the Circuit horizontally in the collar. It is tight but will fit.

MuddyWaters
06-09-2017, 02:22
A Backpackers Cache dimensions 12" X 8.5" will fit in the Circuit horizontally in the collar. It is tight but will fit.
Interesting

Must be the smaller ends than middle, the middle ridge must be the 8.5"

By my recollection, my collar laid flat was 19.5" wide, meaning the total perimeter could only be 39". Or i could be mistaken.

For a 12" tall can, the endcap width could only then be anout 15/2=7.5" to still have 39" perimeter. Probably closer to 7 in reality

Only mention so op knows they should easily be able to calculate what fits really.. need enough fabric to go around it if horizontal

lonehiker
06-09-2017, 09:16
The specs per the website say that it is 12" X 8.8" I just measured the can and the ends are exactly 8.25". The center is probably as stated as 8.8" I rounded in my post saying 8.5". To fit horizontally I had to insert one end, get it situated then slide the other end in. It was tight but once I figured out how to insert, one end at a time, it went in easy. Inserted it this way daily in 2015 from Kennedy Meadows to South Lake Tahoe (Echo Lake). The attached photos should, I hope, answer any questions. Note that the width of my collar is only 18.5"

saltysack
06-10-2017, 22:03
Bearikade weekender fits either direction in a circuit....fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
06-10-2017, 22:28
Bearikade weekender fits either direction in a circuit....fwiw
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, tried it in mine.
Im not sure id call it a "fit" horizontaal myself
But if put in end first and rotate theres a spot right at bottom of ext. collar where the pack will stretch around it. Half in the collar, half in pack. Wider there than the collar.
It cant go down anymore in mine, and has to be turned endwise to remove.

If you dont have an otherwise full pack beneath it, I dont see it working real well . Course if you dont, it would go in vertical

I think its a bad idea, but some will also carry bearcan contents in their small pack, strapping empty lightwt bearcan to top and transfer food to can in evening.

lonehiker
06-11-2017, 00:13
Before I figured out that my bear can fit horizontally in the collar of my Circuit I tried it vertically (for about 2 hours). Two things I will note about fitting a can in vertically. First the pack didn't have the accustomed ULA "feel" that I was used to. Secondly, it somewhat changed how I had to pack. I layer my gear horizontally based upon probable sequence of usage. Putting the can vertical meant that some other items had to be packed vertical as well. Perhaps I would have fine tuned this method but not liking to change enabled me to figure out a horizontal fit.

This is a bit ironic as since, for trips not requiring bear can, I have switched to a ULA Ohm 2.0 and have modified my water system (went from bladder to bottles) and where I now store my tent (in outside stretch pocket).