PDA

View Full Version : Burnt food in borrowed Jetboil - HELP

Benjaminja77
04-23-2015, 14:36
Like a moron, there I was cooking oatmeal in a borrowed Jetboil. I had never used one before, and little was I aware of the reality that it actually boils water almost instantly. I now have a pot with a thin layer of oatmeal burnt to the bottom. I need to get it out before damage is permanent. Does anyone know how to remove burnt oatmeal without messing up the hard anodized aluminum surface? HELP ME!!!

Starchild
04-23-2015, 14:46
Not sure but you can try the freezer and scraping with a soft (not metal) scraper.

Good Luck

BirdBrain
04-23-2015, 15:27
Do not borrow an item you are not prepared to replace if damaged. If it were me, the owner would now have a new one and I would have one with burnt oatmeal in it. I would then figure out how to get the oatmeal out of my jetboil.

Dochartaigh
04-23-2015, 15:32
You can try putting water in the pot and let it sit for a day or two. If that doesn't work a slow boil with water for a half hour has taken anything off my regular kitchen pots I may have gotten stuck on them.

Benjaminja77
04-23-2015, 15:44
I am perfectly prepared to replace it. I am just more inclined to fix it if at all possible. It's 54$ for a new pot. Whether or not I fix it, I will most likely still end up buying a new one because I may have already destroyed the coating. Welp. Lesson learned.

BirdBrain
04-23-2015, 15:46
Fill 3/4 with water. Put in 1/4 cup of baking soda. Simmer for 15 minutes. Scrap with plastic sputula. Repeat until clean.

perdidochas
04-23-2015, 16:38
Do not borrow an item you are not prepared to replace if damaged. If it were me, the owner would now have a new one and I would have one with burnt oatmeal in it. I would then figure out how to get the oatmeal out of my jetboil.
I agree 100%. At the least he should buy a new pot for it.

BirdBrain
04-23-2015, 16:45
I agree 100%. At the least he should buy a new pot for it.

He will. The one he has is damaged.

Benjaminja77
04-23-2015, 16:59
I am buying a new pot. At first I thought Jetboil only sold full systems, but thankfully they do sell the exact pot separate. Like I said, lesson learned. Folks, it's called a Jetboil for a reason. Don't be an idiot like me.

perdidochas
04-23-2015, 17:07
I am buying a new pot. At first I thought Jetboil only sold full systems, but thankfully they do sell the exact pot separate. Like I said, lesson learned. Folks, it's called a Jetboil for a reason. Don't be an idiot like me.

Sorry about the pile-on earlier. I comment as I read, rather than wait until the end.

I'm ignorant about the jetboil pots--do they have a non-stick lining?

I'm lazy when I cook oatmeal while backpacking. Just boil water, pour a 1/2 cup into the oatmeal bag, stir with my spork, and eat.

Starchild
04-23-2015, 17:11
You might consider buying a jetboil and swapping pots, as the JB pot you now own is pretty useless w/o the JB stove. Additionally you may come clean before you make the buy. Perhaps your friend would find a alternative, perhaps he is looking to buy some other cook system, and you can buy his JB off of him in total.

Benjaminja77
04-23-2015, 17:21
Does anyone know how to tell if the oxidized coating is worn off? The bottom of the pot is a more silvery, metalic color while the rest is a matte, dark gray-carbon type of color, which I am assuming means the aluminum is exposed.

BirdBrain
04-23-2015, 17:23

If this is the worst mistake you make, you are far from being an idiot. I think most if us could tell many stories that would top your error. Don't give up on the pot. It might be useful yet.

BirdBrain
04-23-2015, 17:48
Does anyone know how to tell if the oxidized coating is worn off? The bottom of the pot is a more silvery, metalic color while the rest is a matte, dark gray-carbon type of color, which I am assuming means the aluminum is exposed.

Did you try the baking soda suggestion I gave you? If yes, try again but with more baking soda. Vinegar mixed in may help as well. What I suggested should help.

Benjaminja77
04-23-2015, 18:23
Did you try the baking soda suggestion I gave you? If yes, try again but with more baking soda. Vinegar mixed in may help as well. What I suggested should help.

I have let it soak in baking soda overnight and that did not seem to do anything. I have not tried mixing it in with vinegar yet. That can be tonight's attempt.

BirdBrain
04-23-2015, 18:30
It needs to be done with hot water. 15 minutes of simmering should show some change. If no change is visible from that effort, it probably is what it is.

Ksbcrocks
04-23-2015, 22:34
I usually boil vinegar in the pot to get stuff out (albeit not in a jetboil).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
04-23-2015, 22:47
Dremel tool.

Nodust
04-23-2015, 23:23
Fill 3/4 with water. Put in 1/4 cup of baking soda. Simmer for 15 minutes. Scrap with plastic sputula. Repeat until clean.
This works good on our stainless coffee pot. Just put baking soda in it and poured boiling water on top. After about ten minutes the pot was shiny clean.

Starchild
04-24-2015, 06:38
It's not a oxidized coating it's a anodized coating. The anodized coating is a method of hardening and or improving the non-stick quality of the aluminum while protecting it from oxidation. I believe it is a electrolysis process. If you scrapped this down you will expose the aluminum which very quickly oxidizes forming a protective layer that prevents further oxidation, however this is not as non-stick but still can be used.

The question is how was the pot when you got it, perhaps your friend gave you the pot with the anodized coating already worn off. If you got it with the bottom a different color from the sides this is most likely the case, and it would not matter much to scrape the oatmeal out.

Tuckahoe
04-24-2015, 06:59
It's not a oxidized coating it's a anodized coating. The anodized coating is a method of hardening and or improving the non-stick quality of the aluminum while protecting it from oxidation. I believe it is a electrolysis process. If you scrapped this down you will expose the aluminum which very quickly oxidizes forming a protective layer that prevents further oxidation, however this is not as non-stick but still can be used.

It in fact is an oxide, and anodizing is the process of increasing the thickness of the natural oxidized surface of a metal like aluminum.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

Pedaling Fool
04-24-2015, 07:45
Like a moron, there I was cooking oatmeal in a borrowed Jetboil. I had never used one before, and little was I aware of the reality that it actually boils water almost instantly. I now have a pot with a thin layer of oatmeal burnt to the bottom. I need to get it out before damage is permanent. Does anyone know how to remove burnt oatmeal without messing up the hard anodized aluminum surface? HELP ME!!!

That's funny! Only because I did the same thing, but it was with my own stove years ago – which makes your story all the more funny!!!

I remember the cup/pot being incredibly black, which surprised me how black oat meal can get.

I was on the trail, so all I did was attempt to boil it off and allow it to sit over night...to no avail.

I stopped cooking anything in there, only used it to boil the water, but I also use it for coffee and now that's the only stain you see in there – the stain of coffee.

I do wonder, how it would look now if all I used it for was for water...