PDA

View Full Version : Campsites between Dick's Creek and Fontana

bulldog49
11-09-2005, 15:53
Planning to hike from Dick's Creek to Fontana Thanksgiving week and prefer to avoid shelters. Right now, I plan to camp at Bly Gap then Beech Gap the first two nights and Grassy Gap north of the NOC.

Anyone have any other recommendations for cool tenting sites?

The Solemates
11-09-2005, 16:20
Planning to hike from Dick's Creek to Fontana Thanksgiving week and prefer to avoid shelters. Right now, I plan to camp at Bly Gap then Beech Gap the first two nights and Grassy Gap north of the NOC.

atop cheoah bald is really nice, but there is no water so be sure to carry it up.

sparky2000
11-09-2005, 16:49
I recall the wind was a downer in the gaps,.

Skidsteer
11-09-2005, 19:40
You might consider the summit of Standing Indian as an alternative to Beech gap.There is water close( side trail leading left directly before the summit trail to the right ). There are some good obvious tent sites at the top and some not so obvious that I won't tell you about cause I'm selfish. Just kidding; if you hunt around a little bit, you'll probably find them pretty easily. The view is tremendous but the weather is colder in general than the surrounding areas.

halibut15
11-11-2005, 09:42
Check out the top of Siler Bald just south of Wayah Gap. It's a bit of a climb up a side trail from the AT, but you won't miss it. The views are great, but if it's windy, cold, or both (which it most likely will be), it could be a rough night tenting there since it's totally exposed.

Rowdy Yates
11-11-2005, 11:51
You may already have all the information that you need but here is what I know on the Dick's Creek to Fontana Dam section: campsite @ Bly Gap, Campsites at Rock Gap or Wallace Gap, campsite located just N of Wayah Bald, campsites on left of Trail in front of Rufus Morgan Shelter, campsite @ Locust Cove Gap and campsite near Walker Gap & NC 28. That should get you into Fontana Dam. Hope this helps.

bulldog49
11-11-2005, 12:17
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I like camping "high" so I will probably stay on Standing Indian, Cheoah and Siler Bald.

Can't wait to get down there.

Jeff
11-11-2005, 16:40
I recall seeing a notice at Standing Indian shelter regarding a bear problem in 2004. Still a problem?????

tiamalle
11-12-2005, 03:33
I recall seeing a notice at Standing Indian shelter regarding a bear problem in 2004. Still a problem?????Lots of these Local Hillbillie bear hunters are solving that problem.Newspaper reported one 800
pounds was killed last week.Lots-bare -burgerz !!!huh.Any u hikaz ett bea
b fo?:confused: :confused: :confused: it'll not ki ye:jump so as I don't reckin:-? buu haint no tellin,
over duin't lible tu do som'n fierce:sun two if yee haint livin rite:D what my
grate aunt LIZZIE de lice eet up seiz:jumpev marnin fo she leaves tu wuck:p
down by du treed mill;) see ya some mo:bse

veteran
11-14-2005, 10:19
#2 11-09-2005, 15:20
The Solemates Join Date: 10-30-2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog49

atop cheoah bald is really nice, but there is no water so be sure to carry it up.

There is water on Cheoah Bald according to Repeat.

Campsites on Cheoah Bald
07-10-2005, 18:35

Repeat
Registered User Join Date: 07-10-2003

Water on Cheoah Bald
I spent the night on Cheoah Bald this past Friday night, 7.8.05. I remembered the advise on this thread about water. In the center of the field at the bottom of the bald, there is a farm/access "road bed". Follow this road for about 30 yards, right before the road turns to the right, there is an old orange flag/tape tied to a limb on the left side of the road. Follow this path, which is marked by an occasional orange flag/tape to the bottom of a small ravine/draw, about 30 yards. The "path" then turns to the right/down hill followning the draw to a good spring/creek, about 20 yards. I could hear the water running from the road. It is at this time a very good water source. I do not know of it's year around availability. Overall it is around 3/10 of mile from the top of the bald to the water source. It is steep, reminded me of the decent for water at the Vandeventer Shelter. I sure appreciated the heads-up about this water. Smurf(GaMe2002) and I spent the night on top and ate dinner while watching a drop-dead gorgeous sunset over the smokies from the northern overlook. I have posted several pics of the sunset. Hope this information is usefull.