PDA

View Full Version : Leaving in 2 days for a 2 week section (gear check please)

dreamweaver21
04-23-2015, 22:51
Planning on doing Newfound Gap to Damascus in the next couple of weeks. This is my second attempt at a 2 week section. Last year I did Springer to Newfound Gap. I made some minor gear adjustments and I haven't been seriously hiking since last year so I want to make sure I have what I need. I don't see any cardinal sins here but you tell me...

PACKED GEAR

Gear
Manufacturer
Weight (oz)

Pack
Osprey Atmos

Tent
Tarpten Notch

Sleeping pad
Klymit - Static V Air Pad

Sleeping bag in 8L Sea to Sumit bag
Enlightened Equipment Revelation 750 quilt

Cookware, spork, stove (beer can stove), wind screen
Snow Peak solo pot

12 oz stove fuel in sprite bottle
alcohol

Black diamond carbon cork trekking poles

Water filter, 1 32oz bag, filter cleaner
Sawyer mini

Water purifier
aquamira

1/4 camp towel
Coleman

Rain gear
Frog Toggs

2 pair hiking socks
2 Wigwam Mediums 1 Bridgeford

Cotton gloves

Fleece beanie

extra Underwear
Under Armor

Long sleeve Merino wool shirt
Minus 33

Short sleeve synthetic shirt
Adidas

Thermals
Terramar

Windsuit pants
Nike

Bandana / clothes stuff sack

Camp shoes
Quarks

WORN CLOTHES

Nike trail runners
Nike

Hiking socks

Running shorts
Champion

Underwear
Under Armor

Long sleeve shirt
Nike Combat

OTHER SMALL STUFF

First aid kit

Soap
Dr Bronner's Magic 18 in 1

Sunscreen
Banana Boat SPF30

Pills in waterproof container

Toothbrush and paste

Chapstick

Bug spray
Deep woods

Bic min Lighter
Bic

Bear / food bag / rope

Headlamp
Energizer

Pocket knife
China

Compass

Pack rain cover
Osprey

Toilet paper in ziploc

Phone / charger and cord

Pages cut from AT companion / money id / permit / pen / zip lock

Pepper Spray
Sabre

2 empty 1 L smart water bottles / few extra zip locks

The weights are from my postal scale but even with 5 days food (7.5lbs) but no water I stepped on the bathroom scale and all in (except water) I was at 25lbs which I think is reasonable.

I would have liked to swapped out my pad for a Neo Air but didn't want to spend the $. The only two other marginal items for me are the windsuit pants and the pack rain cover. I could just use my rain gear and a trash bag but I am going to run with this unless someone points out something obvious I am missing.

Thanks for the look see!

Lyle
04-24-2015, 07:43
Just off the top of my head after a fairly cursory look at your list:

Both Aquamira and Sawyer Mini? One or the other would be fine. If you do take the Mini, you should probably consider a second water bag that fits the Mini. They have been known to fail. Not as bad as they were originally, but you're out of luck if it does and you only have one. Ignore this advice if you have tested the water bottles you are carrying, and they work in a pinch.

For me:

-Ditch the underwear - not needed
-Replace wool shirt with light puffy jacket - lighter, more compact. Are you a little light on in-camp insulation? Guess that would be a reason for the extra underwear, but too many base layers get awful tight.
-Ditch the pepper spray
-Ditch the sunscreen
-Cotton gloves would be quite useless in cold wet conditions - when you need them. Light wool would be better and are cheap.

HighLiner
04-24-2015, 07:55
You will not need bug spray either. Lot of miles for 2 weeks; you'll be busy. Enjoy as weather is perfect!

ny breakfast
04-24-2015, 08:08
looks like you are carrying two smart water bottles if the bag breaks on the sawyer just use one bottle for dirty water and one for clean and thread sawyer to smart water bottle. add an extra mini bic with a zip tie that fits under the red depressor so no fuel leaks out for back up

Wyoming
04-24-2015, 16:54
Agree with other posts. Additionally...

When it gets hot and dry later in the season needing to carry more than 2 liters will happen. And if you want to camp away from shelters/water sources at times you will also need more than 2 liters then.

5 days of food 7.5 lbs? Hmm...well maybe in the beginning when you have no appetite but later you can plan at 2 lbs a day and you will be STARVING!

Toss the camp towel and carry a bandana.

A Zpad is lighter than an air mattress and will not deflate. You can sit on it on the ground also.

12 oz of fuel is a lot. How often to you intend to use the stove?

Once you are past the possible early cold weather/snow I got rid of the rain gear. Same for extra warm clothing. In the middle of summer i sent my sleeping bag home and just used a bag liner. Had it all mailed back to me in Maine.

Wyoming
04-24-2015, 16:59
Oops. Missed that it was in 2 days for 2 weeks.

The Splitter
04-24-2015, 18:26
I second carrying more food. I also second ditching the sunscreen and using a bandanna instead of a pack towell. I eat a lot on a normal day, I eat even more on the trail. The first real backpacking trip I went on last year was a wake up call for me. I packed the amount of food that I knew would fill me up under normal conditions and then a little more(I'm a very physically active person, been an avid crossfitter for a few years) I went to bed hungry every night. Nothing gets my appetite going like hiking. The calories are important too in order to help your body repair tissue so your ready to go the next day. I now double down on dinner and have a protein shake. Dinner is two containers of annies deluxe Mac and cheese with half a bag of Hormell mini pepperoni mixed in. Protein shake is two scoops of muscle milk pro in water. I go to bed feeling fat and happy and wake up feeling ready to rock. Breakfast is four packets of low sugar instant oatmeal with three tbs peanut butter mixed in. Lunch is Annies Mac and cheese again but with a packet of tuna.

Good luck on your hike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk