PDA

View Full Version : SoRuck 2006!

Sly
11-09-2005, 16:50
The new updated SoRuck for 2006 website is up.

Thanks to AT Troll for helping me with a workaround and redirect when I had problems with MS Word formatting on the host server site.

SoRuck (http://www.soruck.com)

Sometime it's hard to get away from Whiteblaze! ;)

Any questions, suggestions or possible presentations for the event let me know.

Thanks.

The Solemates
11-09-2005, 17:50
Since we couldnt make it last year and wanted to, we hope to be there this year. But we'll see.

Frosty
11-10-2005, 11:43
I seem to recall the last couple of years a bunch of WBers camped on Springer on New Years Eve, and then hiked a little of the AT afterwards.

Is anyone thinking about hiking to SORUCK from Springer starting on Jan 1? It seems to be about the right distance in the two weeks available. Or, do many people start their hikes on Jan 1? I seem to have heard of this (Hydro Heidi comes immediately to mind) but not sure if this is a rarity or not.

I have the time to hike form Springer to SORUCK, but am not sure about doing a solo winter hike.

Sly
11-10-2005, 12:05
I seem to recall the last couple of years a bunch of WBers camped on Springer on New Years Eve, and then hiked a little of the AT afterwards.

Is anyone thinking about hiking to SORUCK from Springer starting on Jan 1? It seems to be about the right distance in the two weeks available. Or, do many people start their hikes on Jan 1?

Threre always seem to be at least 1 hiker that starts at Springer on New Years Day. I know Flyin' Brian did in 2001 when he did his calender year Triple Crown. To get to NOC in two weeks works out to be about 10 miles a day.

Nice hike. I wish I could take the time off to join you. If you decide to do it I'll have your beverge of choice and a hot meal waiting when you arrive!

In the meantime, if I hear of anyone that's not on Whiteblaze and has plans to do it, I'll pass the word.

The Solemates
11-10-2005, 12:28
If I am able to make it, I will be on the trail headed to SoRuck NOBO. At the best, I would only have 4 days or so, so Springer is out of the question, but I could definitely go in at Deep Gap/Standing Indian and do the 50 miles or so to NOC. Either way, maybe I will see some WBs on the trail.

Man Im getting excited now!

The Solemates
11-10-2005, 12:29

Is anyone thinking about hiking to SORUCK from Springer starting on Jan 1? It seems to be about the right distance in the two weeks available. Or, do many people start their hikes on Jan 1? I seem to have heard of this (Hydro Heidi comes immediately to mind) but not sure if this is a rarity or not.

I have the time to hike form Springer to SORUCK, but am not sure about doing a solo winter hike.

dont be reluctant to do a solo winter hike. they are the best kind!

orangebug
11-10-2005, 14:30
Be reluctant to do a solo winter hike. There are many more opportunities for catastrophe, especially hypothermia. It can be a great deal of fun, but you must judge your own abilities and skill, as well as your luck.

dharmabum86
11-10-2005, 15:03
I am sooooo excited!!! I wouldn't miss this for the world. Last year was AWESOME!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see everyone again. I especially can't wait to see Clyde's video!
OJ

MDSHiker
11-10-2005, 15:41
The web site looks great!

Sly
11-11-2005, 17:29
The web site looks great!

Thanks MDS, my first attempt at a website!

In the last couple days I've pretty much finalized the schedule. Of course, there may be some changes but nothing drastic.

There's a couple big ticket items we'll probably have a need on occasion thorought the weekend, hopefully someone will voluteer to bring one or both along (yes, this is a plea) and they include an AV digital projector, (although I may go out and buy one an inexpensive one, if necessary) and a laptop with power point.

If anyone out there is willing to bring either along I'd be greatly beholden.

Thanks,

Sly ([email protected])

SGT Rock
11-11-2005, 17:55
There's a couple big ticket items we'll probably have a need on occasion thorought the weekend, hopefully someone will voluteer to bring one or both along (yes, this is a plea) and they include an AV digital projector, (although I may go out and buy one an inexpensive one, if necessary) and a laptop with power point.

Sly ([email protected])
I have a laptop with powerpoint and was already coming. I don't have a projector.

Sly
11-11-2005, 18:03
I have a laptop with powerpoint and was already coming. I don't have a projector.

That's great, Mowgli/Jeff needs one for his presentation. Thanks!

One down...

SGT Rock
11-11-2005, 19:32
I'll be on the look out for a projector, but don't count on me for one until I say I have one in hand. The unit owns three, I may be able to sign one out.

CynJ
11-11-2005, 22:20
Sounds like you all have a great weekend planned!

I don't think I will be able to convince my hubby to do both the SoRuck and Traildays later on - and I really want to go to trail days lol.....

Sly let me know what you might need though -if I have something I could UPS it down or hand it off to someone heading down :D

One Leg
11-11-2005, 22:32
That's great, Mowgli/Jeff needs one for his presentation. Thanks!

One down...

Sly:

I'll need one on hand as well. I'll bring my own speakers, assuming that there won't be any available to hook up to the laptop........

Sly
11-11-2005, 23:01
SGT Rock, that would great if the unit let you sign one out. I've been looking into them and the price is a little steep, even on Ebay, which is the last place I want to buy electronics. Let me know.

Cyn, right now, except for the AV digital projector, I think we're all set. Of course it would great to have you! Or, if you want something closer, the PA Ruck at the Ironmaster's Hostel is held two weeks after. The SoRuck is an offspring from that. A few years after the original, the regional Ruck concept came into being for those that coudn't travel that far. There's been other, smaller one-timers and now Mags is hosting Rockies Ruck which seems like it may be around awhile That's the one I want to go to someday! ;)

One Leg, that's my idea for all the presenters to have the necessary equipment. We'll take care of you!

Sly
11-11-2005, 23:09
For anyone that's attending and wants one, I'm also doing specialized SoRuck name tags.

I'm mostly doing trailnames but I'll put in proper names and nicknames as well. Email me directly after you've made arrangements.

PartnerShip
11-12-2005, 09:28
We are going to attend and are very excited as we plan to thru hike beginning late March and have lots to learn
We made our reservations and look forward to meeting some of you
Debbie & Jeff

orangebug
11-12-2005, 09:32
I probably will have you covered for one AV projector. I brought one last year, but most folks were upset that I didn't bring a sound system.

I still don't have a sound system, so folks needing it will need to figure on speakers or something else.

Bill...

Sly
11-12-2005, 17:53
I probably will have you covered for one AV projector. I brought one last year, but most folks were upset that I didn't bring a sound system.

I still don't have a sound system, so folks needing it will need to figure on speakers or something else.

Bill...

Thanks Bill. If you and Rock could bring one then we shouldn't have to worry about it the ENTIRE weekend! ;)

I'll make sure we have an adequate sound system.

Partnerhip aka Kaygirl and Stillness we'll see you there!

Nightwalker
11-13-2005, 20:52
Thanks Bill. If you and Rock could bring one then we shouldn't have to worry about it the ENTIRE weekend! ;)

I'll make sure we have an adequate sound system.

Partnerhip aka Kaygirl and Stillness we'll see you there!
I can bring one or two Altec Lansing portable systems. One is a 550 and one is an 880. Both are plenty for multimedia or a music system (just add CD or MP3 player). The 880 is a boomer, though is good even quiet. The 550 is good up to pretty loud levels.

A few years ago, before I started getting some hearing loss, I used these as monitor systems for my MIDI recording system in my home studio. On top of everything else, they're very easily portable. I still use 'em, just not quite so LOUD!

Sly
11-14-2005, 00:36
I can bring one or two Altec Lansing portable systems. One is a 550 and one is an 880. Both are plenty for multimedia or a music system (just add CD or MP3 player). The 880 is a boomer, though is good even quiet. The 550 is good up to pretty loud levels.

That would be great Frank. That way I don't have to go out and buy something I don't need. And if you can bring cables too that would be even better

Big three down...

Now what? Hmmm...

Nightwalker
11-14-2005, 01:15
That would be great Frank. That way I don't have to go out and buy something I don't need. And if you can bring cables too that would be even better

Big three down...

Now what? Hmmm...
Earplugs, fire extinguishers, penicillin, and the list goes on...

Sly
11-14-2005, 01:39
Yeah, ear plugs. We may as well all leave as friends!!!

eArThworm
11-14-2005, 13:21

If anyone out there is willing to bring either along I'd be greatly beholden.
Sly ([email protected])

Looks like all this has already been taken care of, but thought I'd let you know I was planning on bringing my 17-inch laptop anyway and it has powerpoint and built in speakers, so in case you need another one...

And I have PP presentations on my AT and FT section hikes--no sound--if anyone cares to see them. And...I'll bring all my trail videos and DVD's --26 videos and 4 DVDs.

My laptop would give you another "station" where people could watch DVD's. What do we have available for videos? Anyone have a small TV w/ VCR they could bring?

Sly
11-14-2005, 18:55
Thanks for the offer eArthworm, gladly accepted. NOC should have one or two small TV's and one VCR and DVD player. And I'm looking forward to your DVDs. Have a burner for a copy? ;)

Hey, what's it take to do a webcast? LOL...

Frosty
11-14-2005, 19:23
Threre always seem to be at least 1 hiker that starts at Springer on New Years Day.

if I hear of anyone that's not on Whiteblaze and has plans to do it, I'll pass the word.Thanks. I may or may not be able to get a kitchen pass to do this, but I'm planning on it and I'll see how it goes.

Sly
11-14-2005, 19:52
Thanks. I may or may not be able to get a kitchen pass to do this, but I'm planning on it and I'll see how it goes.

I'd be surprised if you were the only one to take the SoRuck Challenge! ;)

Nightwalker
11-14-2005, 20:35
Thanks for the offer eArthworm, gladly accepted. NOC should have one or two small TV's and one VCR and DVD player. And I'm looking forward to your DVDs. Have a burner for a copy? ;)

Hey, what's it take to do a webcast? LOL...
I am gonna bring that second Altec Lansing speaker setup after all. If it doesn't end up being needed, it doesn't weigh much or take up much room in the car. On the other hand, if it's needed and not their, like last year, it'd be a PITA. (Poor fish)

eArThworm
11-15-2005, 12:37

Sure do. Got blanks, or do I need to bring some of those, too.

Sly
11-15-2005, 13:32
Sure do. Got blanks, or do I need to bring some of those, too.

LOL... Well, I'm not sure. Are CD blanks the same as DVD blanks?

eArThworm
11-15-2005, 14:19
LOL... Well, I'm not sure. Are CD blanks the same as DVD blanks?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...this stuff is fairly new to me...I THINK the only difference is in the amount of data they will hold, and a CD disc might hold a very short DVD. Better to copy to a DVD disc. Sounds like you don't have any?, so I'll bring some.