PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pads - roll or fold - does it matter?

Pastor Bryon
04-24-2015, 13:34
I have a couple of different model NeoAir pads. I have always rolled them back into their stuff sacks. I've seen pictures of pads folded instead of rolled.

Does it matter?

I'm thinking there may be times where folding the pad would help it fit better in my pack.

Starchild
04-24-2015, 13:55
I've heard vary it. Doing the same thing over and over gets creases that can weaken it. More so for folding, but if rolling I vary it between 1/2 and 1/3rds. But in the bigger scheme of things I don't think it's that much of a difference.

Slo-go'en
04-24-2015, 14:53
I fold mine in half length wise and then either roll it around my sleeping bag or fold it up so it sits flat at the bottom of my pack. I've done this 100's of times since I got the neoair pad back in '08 and it is still working fine.

I did the same thing with my prolight pad, the difference being it's more bulky. In that case, I'd fold it in half length wise, fold it in half width wise, push it down to the bottom of the pack and cradle the sleeping bag in the middle of the "U" shape the pad makes. This was the most efficient use of space. Rolling it up and putting in a stuff sack isn't as efficient.

LoneStranger
04-24-2015, 15:03
I fold my XLite in thirds and roll it, then put it in the stuff sack just the way it came new. Several years of extensive four season use with no issues.

My tents on the other hand I stuff and cram :)

Maui Rhino
04-24-2015, 15:07
I fold mine in a rectangle and use it to pad the back panel in my pack. I sewed some 1.9oz ripstop fabric I had laying around into an appropriately sized rectangle to stuff it in and protect it while it is in my pack. At home, I store it flat under a couch along with my unrolled tent.... If you have a cat, make sure it has no access to the storage room. Had a buddy who stored his gear this way also. On the first day of a 5 day trip, he discovered his cat had been using his pad to sharpen it's claws.... He had a horrible trip.

HaChayalBoded
04-25-2015, 22:12
I folded mine and would keep the in a tyvek envelope or an envelope shaped nylon sleeve. Ended up a little narrow and longer than a yellow pages and a bit thinner.