PDA

View Full Version : Lakes of the Clouds Huts

rickb
01-19-2003, 14:29
For the most part a hiker who arrives at an AMC hut who finds that a work-for-stay (or even a paid spot) isn't available can find either a designated campsite or legal spot to picth his tent fairly close by.

The one place that would be relatively hard to do might be around Lakes of The Clouds Hut, since it is in the middle of a long stretch above treeline and dropping elevation down the Amonusuc Ravine Trail may not seem very attractive.

I was wondering how thru hikers handle the prospect of Lakes being full, these days. Or can one pretty much expect a spot? Do the caretakers there adjust availability based on the time of day you arrive? As a matter of policy or by whim?
Just curious.

Rick B

Lone Wolf
01-19-2003, 15:14
I have a wonderful stealth spot within 300 yards of Lakes of the Crowds.

veteran
01-22-2003, 16:31
What are the directions to it?

hikerat2002
04-29-2003, 06:46
Also, what about the dungoen room? A fitting name, but darn, I stayed up there one September and the wind blew all night and died down finally. I stepped outside and was surprised how calm and mild the air was then. Talk about solitary confinement. If there was a hiker nearby me that night I sure liked to know where he camped.

Kerosene
06-14-2003, 15:27
Info and pictures can be found at: http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/lakes_hut.html