PDA

View Full Version : Final thread post - #1377

warren doyle
11-09-2005, 17:51
RIP 9/14-10/31/05 1,376 posts 35,643 views

Just fulfilling my final responsibility to the posters of the thread that was closed and moved to the General Non-AT talk forum. I did not get an opportunity to answer their questions and make comments on their posts before the thread was closed. So...

Ender #1267
Q#1: Actually, wasn't this phrase originally used to describe just a relaxed style of hiking? Like taking lower mile days on a regular basis, carrying extra comfort items, etc... I could be wrong about that, but I thought I had read that somewhere, how that was the original usage of the phrase back in the 70's or something. Anyone know?
A#1: Mags is correct on his post #1268. O.D. Coyote coined the term and you are correct with your interpretation of 'slackpacking'. It has a different interpretation now. However, as I mentioned in post #69, I do not consider the circle expeditions 'slackpacking'.

rickboudrie #1269 Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them.
Question for Warren:
Q#1: What was your record time on the Long Trail?
A#1: In August 1978, I backpacked (unsupported) the Long Trail in 9.5 days shortening the 10.5 day record of the US Nordic Ski Team who had full support. This record lasted until 1996. It has been shortened several times since then and the present LT record holder is Cave Dog.
Q#2: What was your personal record time for the Wonderland Trail?
A#2: I believe my first wife and I backpacked the Wonderland Trail in seven days in August 1979. I soloed Rainier the day after we finished the WT.

max patch #1270
Q#1: I wonder how many people who have experienced a solo thru hike have decided to hike again via Warrens structured expedition?
A#2: Four people fall into this category.

Farmer #1274 Don't be discouraged about the amount of negativity on this thread/website. It is not like this on the trail (at least not yet).

rickboudrie #1280 Thank you (again) for trying to reason (yet again).

L. Wolf #1281 Thanks, and the beat goes on....

rickboudrie #1288 I'm sorry you are leaving the thread. May I suggest that if you decide to come back, that you simply ignore the internegators? (this has worked for me)

dougmeredith #1290 Good post and questions. However, I hope you don't suffer the same fate as rickboudrie.

Almost There #1292 Good post.

CynJ #1297
Q#1: Can someone clue me in on this "yellow-blaze" thing?
A#1: In my opinion, "yellow-blaze(ing)" is when hikers walk the road paralleling the trail because it is easier and quicker than following the trail. Some examples of "yellow blaze" routes are:
1)USFS42 in Georgia (although this road has no yellow blazes)
2)The FS road up Wayah Bald (")
3)The GSNP road between Newfound Gap and Clingman's Dome
4) Rt. 58 and Rt. 16 in southern VA
5) Blue Ridge Parkway in central VA
6) Skyline Drive in SNP
7) Rt. 7 in CT, MA, VT
8) Rt. 9 in MA
9) Rt. 10 in NH
10) Mt. Washington Auto Road

DaSchwartz #1314
At one time on this thread, I did mention parts of one of your posts that I agreed with.

Lugnut #1315 Good question. Wonder on...

weary #1319 Another reasonable post from the wise man of Maine!

DaSchwartz #1321 I like the first four sentences of your fourth paragraph and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sentences of the 5th paragraph.

DaSchwartz #1324 You offer good advice in the 3rd sentence of your second paragraph.

dougmeredith #1333 Insightful post. And no, I am not DaSchwartz.

L. Wolf #1334
Q#1: You feel sorry for Jack?
A#1: Yes, I do.

ferryman #1337

MATC: "I think you have the finest trail club on the entire Appalachian Trail. You do a wonderful job. However, I am saddened to see how easily you have coopted out to the lawyers (ie kennebec ford). Liability is the greatest threat to the trail experience." Then Warren, you go on to say, "I speak for the hundreds of thru-hikers who have forded the kennebec pre-1985 usiing their common sense, resoursefulness and the help of their fellow travelers. We have lost something here. This is not the way life should be. Respectfully, Warren Doyle."
Q#1 What exactly have we lost here?
A#1: Allowing people/organizations to persuade us that something is more dangerous then it is when its main impetus is the issue of liability rather than safety. It sort of takes away what I feel is one of the main attributes of outdoor adventure. Also, I feel that it also reduces the amount of people who can say they walked continuously, under their own leg/foot power, a footpath from Georgia to Maine.

the goat #1338
....he is full of da*****z.
he's trying to act out a personal vendetta against jack on an internet forum. kinda sad,
Q#1: don't you think?
A#1: It is sad but to be expected. As the saying goes, " He who lives in glass house shouldn't throw stones."

L. Wolf #1339; #1342 Short and right on (yet again)!

Orangebug #1345 Interesting post (after all, I am a teacher).

Jester2000 #1346
Q#1: Well, that's just pathetic, ain't it? (Warren, feel free to answer that, as you apparently also chose to comment on this incident in a forum at which you could be relatively certain none of us would be)
A#1: I would not describe it as pathetic. (By the way, I will continue to comment on this incident whether Billville members are there or not. It doesn't make a difference to me.)

justusryans #1351 Good advice.

One Leg #1362 No need for me to attend a 12-step meeting, unless it is related to learning a new dance while sober.

Happy trails to all!

PS - The next ATI seminar is Dec. 16-19 at Lees-McRae College in Banner Elk, NC. Right now we have eight AT Class of 2006 folks registered. More info on the ATI can be found on the website below.

TJ aka Teej
11-09-2005, 18:00
PS - The next ATI seminar is Dec. 16-19 at Lees-McRae College in Banner Elk, NC. Right now we have eight AT Class of 2006 folks registered. More info on the ATI can be found on the website below.

Once again, I encourage persons using this website to promote commercial enterprises to please make a monetary contribution in support of Whiteblaze.net.

Thank you for your support.

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 10:02
WD-"Just fulfilling my final responsibility to the posters of the thread that was closed............."Just what part of "closed" don't you understand? if you truly think this is post #1377 in that closed thread, then it should be moved there.

chomp
11-10-2005, 11:16
Jester2000 #1346
Q#1: Well, that's just pathetic, ain't it? (Warren, feel free to answer that, as you apparently also chose to comment on this incident in a forum at which you could be relatively certain none of us would be)
A#1: I would not describe it as pathetic. (By the way, I will continue to comment on this incident whether Billville members are there or not. It doesn't make a difference to me.)

"Afterall, we don't have drunk hikers getting killed by trains at ALDHA."

Warren - this is NOT "commenting" - it is offensive, vulgar and mean-sprited. If you want to "comment" about this incident, fine, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Its no secret that you don't agree with Billville on many issues, but this comment is cruel and disrespectful to the person who passed as well as his family and friends.

weary
11-10-2005, 11:33
Larry Luxenberg once did a profile of Warren Doyle.

The curious can read the profile by opening:

http://www.aldha.org/doyle.htm

the goat
11-10-2005, 11:43
the goat #1338
....he is full of da*****z.
he's trying to act out a personal vendetta against jack on an internet forum. kinda sad,
Q#1: don't you think?
A#1: It is sad but to be expected. As the saying goes, " He who lives in glass house shouldn't throw stones."

warren! i'm humbled & honored that you still acknowlege my existence!!!!

truth be told, i honestly wasn't trying to: offend you, piss you off, drive you away from WB, or even get your goat:D, with my thread. it certainly ain't a personal vendetta b/c i don't dislike you or know you (i had never even heard your name before joining WB).

it was merely an attempt to parody the ugly debaaaaaaaacle that your thread became (vis-a'-vis your detractors), with a bit of humor. i think most took it for what it was, and hope you saw some humor in it too (i think you did since you brought it back to life this morning:clap ).

respeeeeeeeeectfully,
the goat

rickb
11-10-2005, 12:18
After all, we don't have drunk hikers getting killed by trains at ALDHA."

Warren - this is NOT "commenting" - it is offensive, vulgar and mean-spirited. If you want to "comment" about this incident, fine, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Its no secret that you don't agree with Billville on many issues, but this comment is cruel and disrespectful to the person who passed as well as his family and friends.

Chomp,

Calling someone a drunk would be offensive, vulgar and mean spirited. Assuming Warren was quoted accurately, he did no such thing. Not at all, Not in the least. Words matter. The exact words matter.

At worst, he suggested that the person who was killed was drunk at the time. Hardly a sin. Hardly a character flaw. Who hasn't been drunk at one time or another. Clearly in this case, a thru hiker wasn't risking others lives by getting behind the wheel.

On the other hand, drinking and getting drunk does seem to have become part of the culture along the Trail. It is entirely probable that alcohol played a significant role in this tragedy.

And it is entirely possible that alcohol has played a significant role in a lot of people hikes. To the extent that alcohol and parties are brought to people's thru hikes by outsiders, those outsiders are changing the AT experience. For the better? I'll reserve comment.

The comments attributed to Warren were not offensive, vulgar and mean-spirited, IMHO.

Rick B

Lone Wolf
11-10-2005, 12:21
Come to Trail Daze. It's one big drunken soiree and I'm right in the middle of it!:jump :jump

chomp
11-10-2005, 12:32
The comments attributed to Warren were not offensive, vulgar and mean-spirited, IMHO.

Rick B

I have to disagree, but thank you for your well thought out response. You are right, of course, the only people that know exactly what Warren said were the ones in that classroom.

Nightwalker
11-10-2005, 13:37
Come to Trail Daze. It's one big drunken soiree and I'm right in the middle of it!:jump :jump
Thanks for the invite. It won't be all serious like this crap, will it?

:D

(didn't think so)