PDA

View Full Version : Shoes vs. Sandals?

blazercoach
04-25-2015, 23:18
For a 14 day NOBO hike from Springer in the middle of summer (mid to late July through as late as early August) would it be crazy and inadvisable to wear only sandals?

J. Michael Fay went about 400+ days hiking in the Congo wearing only sandals. No socks. Seems like less hassle. But obviously that was a different terrain.

BirdBrain
04-25-2015, 23:28
I hike in sandals all the time in Acadia. I love the freedom. I would hike barefoot if I could. The issue with sandals is there are fewer contact points to your feet. Socks and shoes distribute the contact evenly. The contact points of sandals eventually create wear points on your feet. This happens to me when I hike several days in sandals. This might not be an issue with everyone.

squeezebox
04-26-2015, 02:24
I have a neurapathy problem in my left foot. I must have a stiff boot. Your millage may vary. Do what's good for you.

Donde
04-26-2015, 03:22
There is no reason why you can't losts of people have hiked the AT in chacos and such.

firesign
04-26-2015, 10:06
For a 14 day NOBO hike from Springer in the middle of summer (mid to late July through as late as early August) would it be crazy and inadvisable to wear only sandals?

J. Michael Fay went about 400+ days hiking in the Congo wearing only sandals. No socks. Seems like less hassle. But obviously that was a different terrain.

Pan, a sub 100 day 2014 NOBO thru hiker wore socks and sandals. It certainly works for some, but also heard quite a few complaints, i.e. Severe rubbing.
Best of luck.

bigcranky
04-26-2015, 14:46
Lots of people hike in Chacos or something similar.

Wyoming
04-26-2015, 15:21
In around 2003?? two sisters hiked the entire AT barefoot. Yikes! I say lol. Cavewomen! But just in case you might want a pair of shoes in the pack if it turns out you regret the decision.

Wait! I think Tyvek in 06 also walked the AT barefoot - or at least he was barefoot when he went by me.

ocourse
04-26-2015, 18:36
I say don't' do it. I have seen and heard too many horror stories. Most people need more support and protection for the feet. Try it around your home with a weighted pack.

RockDoc
04-26-2015, 21:34
I carry Tevas in case I can't hike in my boots or trail shoes, and I wouldn't hesitate to hike in Tevas. However, I wouldn't go a lot lighter than that, myself. If you are an extremely light person, like less than 150 lbs and carry a light pack you could do with less footware. But if you are anywhere near 200 lbs pack included, watch out, you need a firm foundation.

daddytwosticks
04-27-2015, 07:17
For those who hike in sandals, how do you keep sticks from poking you in the toes or keep crap from constantly getting between your feet and the sandal bed? Are your feet are filthy at the end of the day? :)

Marta
04-27-2015, 09:09
I've done quite a bit of hiking in sandals. I have Morton's Neuroma in one foot, which doesn't bother me when I'm wearing sandals.

*There are lots of different kinds of sandals. The sandals which work best for me as hiking sandals are Chacos. The stiff sole prevents rock bruising on the soles of my feet. The adjustable straps allow me to tighten the sandals against the soles of my feet which minimizes the number of rocks and sticks which get between foot and footbed.

*The particular sandal you choose will probably have a different sort of sole, with a different amount of traction on various trail surfaces. Knowing what sorts of surfaces the shoe will and will not grip helps you avoid injury.

*I wear socks with sandals. It helps prevent rub-raws.

*Your feet are more vulnerable to injury--all the way from stabbing your foot with your hiking poles on down. My most grievous stupid injury was when I was wearing Toe Socks with sandals. The tip of the small toe snagged on a stick, which jerked the toe 90 degrees to the right, dislocating it. Within a mile the toe had snapped back into place, but by the following day the foot was black and blue halfway back to the ankle. I don't wear Toe Socks with sandals anymore. Because I am more careful when hiking in sandals, I hike a bit slower when wearing sandals.

*There's an inverse relationship between the support provided by your footwear and the strength built up in the muscles, tendons, bones, and skin in your feet. A foot that wears a waterproof supportive boot is a weak and flabby thing compared to a sandal-wearing foot. It takes a while to make the transition to less-supportive footwear. You need to build up your mileage before you set off in sandals on any sort of serious hike.

*In a previous thread about hiking in sandals, someone made a sage comment: "Once you wear sandals to hike, your feet will never be clean again." True dat.

Water Rat
04-27-2015, 09:59
I often hike in my Keens and my feet have no qualms when I carry a pack. The Keens might be heavier, but they have toe protection (my toes are forever thankful!), they fit my feet just right, and I don't have to worry about my footing during water crossings. When I am not in my Keens, I wear trail runners. (I am sure people are now positively gasping because of the the weight of the Keens, but this works for me.)

Yes, I could take flip flops or something much lighter in weight... But, I also know I am not comfortable hiking in them. My feet and I have a deal - I wear what works for them. In return, they don't give me any issues with blisters. We have a lovely arrangement and have been working well together for many years.

It can be done. It has been done. It all boils down to what is comfortable for you.

BamaB2
04-27-2015, 10:54
I'm not a sandal guy but my daughter is a huge Chaco fan. A couple of summers ago, she and some friends were on a day walk about. She was crossing a small creek and a small stick jammed under her big toe nail. Not severe, just a little painful. That evening, we doctored it up a little and thought she was good to go. Two days later, her toe was getting puffy, red and oozing. We immediately went to the doctor. He put her on a strong antibiotic and a soak and topical antibiotic regimen. She managed to fight off the infection off and save the toe nail (big deal for a teenager). The doctor said that it had to have been a very aggressive bacteria and could have developed into a serious situation in a few days. This was not long after the young lady in Georgia had multiple amputations from bacterial infection. My daughter still wears her Chacos sometimes but is much more mindful of the situation.

Moral of the story is just be careful. It's the little, unexpected things that can cause serious issues.

She did earn her trail name though. Creek Toe. :)

sbhikes
04-27-2015, 16:56
I've section hiked several hundred miles of the Pacific Crest Trail wearing Chacos with socks. My feet aren't any dirtier compared to trail running shoes. The PCT is a very dusty trail. I just wash my feet with a bandana and a little water at the end of the day. I've hiked hundreds of miles of the JMT and I hiked Fuller Ridge twice in my Chacos. I have to say that they are a little hard to wear in snow because snow balls up under the toes, and they have poor traction in ice and my crampons don't fit on them. Otherwise, my feet feel awesome in Chacos.

mudsocks
04-27-2015, 17:01

Crazy and inadvisable? No and maybe. It depends on your strength and conditioning. I hiked the LT last summer barefoot/huaraches.

For those who hike in sandals, how do you keep sticks from poking you in the toes or keep crap from constantly getting between your feet and the sandal bed? Are your feet are filthy at the end of the day? :)

I don't find that sticks and rocks are much of a problem on the footbed. Mud will make its way onto your footbed at times but it usually dries quick, so not a big deal. Sometimes feet get extra dirty but you just keep them clean like you do the rest of your body while on the trail.

*The particular sandal you choose will probably have a different sort of sole, with a different amount of traction on various trail surfaces. Knowing what sorts of surfaces the shoe will and will not grip helps you avoid injury.

*There's an inverse relationship between the support provided by your footwear and the strength built up in the muscles, tendons, bones, and skin in your feet. A foot that wears a waterproof supportive boot is a weak and flabby thing compared to a sandal-wearing foot. It takes a while to make the transition to less-supportive footwear. You need to build up your mileage before you set off in sandals on any sort of serious hike.

I'll echo what Marta says about these two points. Traction is very different than shoes/hiking boots. Sometimes you will need to move slower and use more caution. It's probably not a good idea to start hiking in minimal footwear until you've built up the strength and conditioning in your feet. Wear your sandals when you go out for weekend hikes and work up to bigger mileage.

I'm not a sandal guy but my daughter is a huge Chaco fan. A couple of summers ago, she and some friends were on a day walk about. She was crossing a small creek and a small stick jammed under her big toe nail. Not severe, just a little painful. That evening, we doctored it up a little and thought she was good to go. Two days later, her toe was getting puffy, red and oozing. We immediately went to the doctor. He put her on a strong antibiotic and a soak and topical antibiotic regimen. She managed to fight off the infection off and save the toe nail (big deal for a teenager). The doctor said that it had to have been a very aggressive bacteria and could have developed into a serious situation in a few days. This was not long after the young lady in Georgia had multiple amputations from bacterial infection. My daughter still wears her Chacos sometimes but is much more mindful of the situation.

Moral of the story is just be careful. It's the little, unexpected things that can cause serious issues.

Infection is certainly not unique to minimal footwear. How many stories of blisters turned septic from poorly fitting shoes/improper foot care have we all heard?

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/17034/tj17034%5F072314%5F150050%5F903288.jpg?20141116183 431

Plus it's a great conversation starter and a good way to earn your trail name.

SimplyMe
04-27-2015, 18:41
In 2011 I attempted a thru hike. Sickness took me off trail. (Yes I hope to finish one day)
I hiked in Keene Sandals - you know the green ones. I wore thick SmartWool socks. My feet were fine for three months in cold, snow, hail, storms and water crossing. It was a combo of food sensitivities, bronchitis and poison plants that took me out!

blazercoach
04-27-2015, 19:33
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. I have much to consider!