PDA

View Full Version : Blister Management

mlivin01
04-26-2015, 13:50
I have not checked to see what all is written on this, but I have a technique that really minimizes them before they start and manages well once a hot spot starts. I am an alpine mountain climber and use to have my feet bleeding after a weeks climb but now it is manageable.

Let me know if it is worth my time to post a solution that works for me.

rwilson9879
04-26-2015, 14:04
So whats the scoop?

mlivin01
04-26-2015, 15:36
A short intro. I buy shoes that fit but my feet blister easily and badily. To the point I have gone to emergency with infected feet after a long climb.

I am an alpine mountain climber and wear very heavy boots to keep my feet from freezing at high altitude. The boots are heavy, double walled construction, and make my sensitive feet blister badly after the first day and only got worse each day. Even on long 6+ hour hikes i get blisters from my normal hiking shoes/boots. I would prefer to wear flip flops all the time but cannot...

Most tape and bandages do not work. Even if they say "waterproof", they are not sweat proof and once your feet sweat then they lose their adhesiveness. And almost all come off. Even moles skin sticks better but mole skin also tends to lose adhesiveness with sweating on 10-12 hour days plus the mole skin at times moves and causes a blister to worsen. So while I like moleskin it does not work on multi day outings as a lone solution.

I researched what ultra marathoner's do for their feet and blister management. While there are many sites and recomendations, the common thread is a tape called Leukotape ( see link). Ultra racers use many other technisques that I have tried as well but Leuko is the magic. I 100% recommend it and it can be bought on Amazon for around 14$ per roll. While that may be pricey it works. My son started at the USAFA last year, and he took the Leuko tape to his Basic training session and everyone wanted to use it every night until he ran out.

Lueko is the most adhesive tape I have ever seen. I have kept it on my feet for as long as 7 days before I took it off. I usally take it off in the shower but do so in the tent as well. It does not peel your skin but it just sticks and must be pulled off. My bet is that it last longer but I try to take it off periodically to inspect what the wound or trouble spot looks like and may require some cleaning.

My method is as follows:

1. Pre-tape the potential trouble spots. I get blisters in the same spots so before I start a long climb or long hike, I apply Lueko to the potential areas. Usally just a small strip does the trick. So pretape to "prevent" the blisters.

2. Hot spots: When I get them climbing/hiking, I stop, dry my feet and apply tape. I do this as soon as there is a hint of a problem. Do not hike on until the end of the day to deal with the problem as the hot spot will be a full-on probelm if not immediately addressed.

3. Bad Spots: For bad blisters, I will apply a base of Leuko, put the moleskin on top of the tape and the another strip of Lueko to secure the mole skin so it does not move. In this case, I want or need the extra padding that the moleskin gives. But mole skin alone is not sufficent for me but it is always in my kit.

4. Periodically take the tape off after multiple days to clean feet, inspect wounds, clean...and then reapply.

5. Bottom line is that it works. stops blisters before they happen or quickly addresses them when they do.

Hope that helps...and yes I love the Lueko and all that I have recommended it to will swear buy it. When I do my thru hike on the AT, I plan to pretape my feet and have Lekuo sent to me along the trail as it runs out as I do not want to lose time or days over blisters. Blisters can get infected and put you at the doctors or just make the day a horrible experience.

http://www.amazon.com/1-5-INCH-Leukotape-Sportstape-76168/dp/B00UG6OU22/ref=sr_1_1/184-1193501-8949324?ie=UTF8&qid=1430075503&sr=8-1&keywords=leuko+tape

4eyedbuzzard
04-26-2015, 15:52
I've used Leukotape in the past with good results. But I don't often get hot spots or blisters, usually only when wearing heavier boots rather than trail shoes. Some also report using Kinesio tape which has the advantage of being flexible, and others tapes.

mlivin01
04-26-2015, 16:16
Yes I get blisters in about anything but flip flops so very sensitive feet I guess. I tried to Kinesio as well and from my results the Leuko is the go to tape in your blister kit as it has much more adhesive capabilities. Ultra marathoners usually use a liquid adhesive to help on the Kinesio which is too much effort for me. I a msure everyone has a different set of tools and only giving a view from a person who blisters even looking at shoes.

scrabbler
04-26-2015, 19:23
Kinesio will stick for days if you prep the area first with Benzoin (available at REI, or pharmacies).

RockDoc
04-26-2015, 21:37
Yes, it's a good idea to tape your feet, toes, or whatever is rubbing. Not a new idea.
Always better to prevent blisters, if possible.

Walkintom
04-26-2015, 22:13
Yes, it's a good idea to tape your feet, toes, or whatever is rubbing. Not a new idea.
Always better to prevent blisters, if possible.

Amen. Prevention >treatment.

Good socks (Darn Tough, cushion) are a big help.
Wearing the right size shoe is another big help.
Keep debris out of your shoes as much as possible, too.
And the moment you feel a hotspot is the time to do something about it. I carry a travel size deodorant stick and a swipe from that applied in a timely manner can do wonders for prevention of hot spots, chub-rub and smelly pits.

BirdBrain
04-26-2015, 22:17
I do not use moleskin or any type of tape. I do not even carry it. I don't get blisters. I have my own system that I won't go down a rabbit trail on here. I have a toenail issue that might be relevant to this discussion. I lose several toenails each year. I wonder if any type of tape could help that issue.

Size12
04-26-2015, 23:45
I used to row, so Ive had more blisters than Id care to count, as well as my fair share from hiking. If I have a spot that I absolutely know will blister I use the fabric medical tape. Alternatively, duct tape works reasonably well. Undoubtedly leukotape performs better.

Normally I wouldnt bother pretaping. If a blister does arise you can sterilise a needle in a flame, wait for it to cool, let the fluid out of the blister and then run some methylated spirits over the deflated blister. This helps toughen the skin up and prevent it tearing off. Some would tape over the top after that, but I normally wouldnt bother. This method works better outside of boots, as on your hands the blister can dry somewhat.

If on a part of the body that remains moist for prolonged periods then I would deflate the blister and then tape it.

Donde
04-27-2015, 04:37
Kinesio will stick for days if you prep the area first with Benzoin (available at REI, or pharmacies).

Bingo! Benzoin + KT/Luko/even Duct tape is my answer. I spent 3 years taking care of infantrymen's feet, 2 thru hikes, and a few ultras, have not found anything more effective than this combo.

TwoSpirits
04-27-2015, 10:47
A lesson I learned last year in Maine:

I never had real trouble with blisters before, although I always managed for hot spots with frequent changes and foot powder. Then Darn Tough socks eliminated my troubles with hot spots and I thought I was golden...and I was, right up until I experienced whole long days of walking through mud in the north end of the HMW. Suddenly I had blisters between my toes and all sorts of spots I've never once had a blister! I thought it was a cruel joke!

I realized that the mud was the culprit: smaller than small little bits of debris were getting squished into spots between my toes, etc. (through the mesh of my trail runners), and so just like an oyster makes a pearl, my feet were making blisters (except they definitely weren't pretty as pearls!) I made a point to stop more frequently to really rinse out my socks and clean off my feet, and that resolved the problem almost instantly.

I had smashed up my knee, so I was making frequent stops anyway, and even though I can understand that people wouldn't necessarily like to slow themselves down with more stops to rinse out the accumulated mud from their socks and feet, I can tell you that it made difference enough to make it worth it.

Sent from...wait, where am I again?

Buttercup01
04-29-2015, 16:10
Prevention...I use Bodyglide between my toes several times a day. Haven't had a blister since!

4eyedbuzzard
04-29-2015, 17:19
I do not use moleskin or any type of tape. I do not even carry it. I don't get blisters. I have my own system that I won't go down a rabbit trail on here. I have a toenail issue that might be relevant to this discussion. I lose several toenails each year. I wonder if any type of tape could help that issue.I've lost a couple of toenails to frostbite due to plain old cold (climbing) and boot pressure plus cold that impeded circulation (skiing), and also descending steep trails. It really sucks, plus the new nails never grow back completely anatomically correct in most cases (injury to the nail bed "matrix"), which presents ongoing issues like thick and ingrown nails, etc. The best I have come up with is to keep the nails trimmed as short as possible, size shoes/boots a full size bigger than measured, making sure the sides of the heel area isn't too loose (allows too much sliding), wearing two pairs of socks (but not any slippery liners), and making sure the top of the toes aren't rubbing as well (size of toe box is important here). The front impact/pressure also happens when playing tennis, as it's brutal on the feet from a starting and stopping standpoint. I understand that runners have similar issues.

I'd also be interested in any taping or other ideas folks may have.

BirdBrain
04-29-2015, 17:46
My toenails grow back fine. No deformities. I wear trail runners a half size too big and wear thick darn tough socks and maintain short nails. The weird thing is I do not notice any pain as it happens. They are hitting on something. I don't feel it as it happens. Don't get me wrong. The toenail is very tender. I just don't notice it until I go looking for it. I probably don't notice the toe pain because of all my knee pain. ;)

Hiker6301
05-07-2015, 05:10
I wear Solomon Trail Runners that are a full larger than I normally wear, Injini toe sock liners and Darn Tough Merino Wool socks. I've never experienced that, not even a hot spot. I was experiencing knee pain on the descents but the knee braces took care of that.

Sent from my iPhone 6plus using Tapatalk

Double Wide
05-09-2015, 15:54
Leukotape. I had about three feet of it wrapped around the spare section of tent pole in my repair kit, and from the time I got to Neel Gap, it was all gone, but I never used an inch of it--I'd used it on other hikers every night.

But prevention is the key--well fitting boots/shoes (I have Vasque boots) with a snug ankle/heel area, laced properly to keep your toes from jamming the front on downhills, good insoles (I found that SofSol inserts work way better for me than Superfeet), and high quality socks (I swear by Wigwam comfort silk/merino Comfort Hiker socks). I haven't gotten a single blister since I went to that boot/insole/sock combo, but I still carry Leukotape to help out the poor soles I meet on the trail who have foot issues.