PDA

View Full Version : Anterior Tibialis Tendonitis

hailstreak
04-26-2015, 15:16
Has anybody else dealt with anterior tibialis tendonitis? This injury has, at least temporarily, derailed my thru-hike attempt this year. 120 miles in, I developed excruciating pain in my lower-outer shin along with crepitus of the tendon. Three days of rest in town was insufficient, and when I hit the trail again, I ended up dropping off and heading back home. I could barely walk, especially downhill, because the pain was so bad. After a full ten days of rest, the tendon feels much better and I would like to continue my hike, but I have no idea how the tendon will react to the mountains. I am getting some orthotics for my feet because it has been suggested that my high arch and foot pronation may have something to do with it, but I can't know for sure. My doctor just says to rest and let my body heal. I have an appointment with another doctor coming up for a second opinion. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and how you got back to hiking.

Maui Rhino
04-26-2015, 17:52
I've been dealing with this for years on my right leg. Driving (stepping on the gas pedal) for long periods seems to aggravate it. After a long day of hiking or cycling, it also aches. Sometimes the pain keeps me awake at night. I use self massage, ibuprofen, and (rarely) Rx pain meds to manage symptoms. Seeing as I have chronic pain in my low back and both knees anyway, it's one of my more "minor" issues.

MuddyWaters
04-26-2015, 17:54
Tendonitis is over-use or repetitive motion injury.
Your body was not adjusted to the repetitive stresses you subjected it to.
If you do the same without it healing, it will happen again

10 days, isnt enough in my experience.
Think 3-4 weeks
See a Physical Therapist, and learn stretches to do for it, this will help it
Strengthen muscles as well. Out of balance muscles can contribute to these type things

After a period of healing, ease back into activity, slowly building up over weeks

Thats the safe way to do it at least.

When you do hike, SLOW DOWN. Especially on downhills. Use poles. Lower your weight on the downhill foot almost in slow motion. This greatly reduces the shock to muscles and tendons of lower leg.

hailstreak
05-03-2015, 15:01
Well, it feels great after 2 1/2 weeks. I am going to give my thru-hike another go after five weeks of rest/rehab. I have been running, hiking, and cycling my entire life and have never experienced this problem, so I hope it is a one-time thing that will not recur if I make appropriate adjustments. I will definitely take it slower this time around.

LoneStranger
05-04-2015, 12:03
I developed what Dr Google diagnosed as an IT band issue coming down Zealand at the end of a long day last year. Rest got me back on trail, but ever since I have found a simple knee brace to be a real help, especially on the downhills. The thing that has been the biggest help is a focus on walking with intent. Left to their own devices my feet would prefer to over pronate on rough terrain so now I focus on keeping my toes pointed where I'm going and it reduces the wear and tear of a day on trail.

Good luck on getting back out there!

Pedaling Fool
05-05-2015, 09:31
The problem with hiking, running and cycling is that it does more for conditioning your cardio system and less for you musculoskeletal system, mostly because you plateau quickly, which is a false peak, thus meaning you start declining as you age from a less then optimum condition. Secondly, these activities do not exercise the body in its full range of motion, until you do something wrong like take a fall or twist an ankle... I would use this time off the trail to start a weight training regimen to support your active lifestyle. Here's a good video that depicts why full range of motion exercises, along with building up to plyometric exercises as well as other dynamic (power) movements are so important, especially for an ageing body.

https://vimeo.com/118162021

P.S. I know you're young, but it sneaks up on you quickly -- best to start now, it's much like putting money in the bank for the future.

Francis Sawyer
05-05-2015, 10:51
Anterior Tibialis Tendonitis . Sounds like a character from Star Wars.

dzierzak
05-05-2015, 14:22
Or ancient Rome...