PDA

View Full Version : How's the Gear Hunting/Planning Going?

Old Spice
11-09-2005, 21:58
Tomorrow my sleepin bag will arive via UPS. After this I will pretty much have completed my major gear shopping for the upcoming thru. Next phase: Get fit and plan a tentative itinerary. Anyone else transitioning into this phase of planning? Doesn't it feel great to bust out the box of ATC maps and feel overwhelmed by the reality that in a few months we will be out there?

Trooper347
11-09-2005, 22:32
I recieve my hammock tommorow from UPS, YAY!!!, and am now going thru the '05 Data book, and planner recieved from ATC online store...will be ordering the '06 Data book when it becomes available...as well as the Thru-hikers Handbook that was reccomended to me...Best of luck on your planning Old Spice, hope to meet you on the trail.

justusryans
11-09-2005, 22:34
Tomorrow my sleepin bag will arive via UPS. After this I will pretty much have completed my major gear shopping for the upcoming thru. Next phase: Get fit and plan a tentative itinerary. Anyone else transitioning into this phase of planning? Doesn't it feel great to bust out the box of ATC maps and feel overwhelmed by the reality that in a few months we will be out there?

Well, I'm into the get fit stage but I'm more a fly by the seat of my pants kind a guy!

mnof1000v
11-10-2005, 01:38
I'm pretty psyched to actually be planning this whole thing out, after months of considering the possibility. Still working to get all my gear ready, but everyone on this site has been really helpful. Soon enough, I'll be working with my maps too. I don't expect to really definitively plan, but some review will certainly help.

Good luck to all! Hope to see you all this spring!:D

frieden
11-10-2005, 20:20
I've got much of our planning done, but seriously lacking on gear. I won't be 100% ready, but we're gonna go anyway. Right now, our plan has us hitting Katahdin at day 173, but I might want to slow that down a bit. How many days is your schedule? Are you doing anything to get ready physically? It's just right around the corner! Aaaahhhhh!

Husko
11-11-2005, 00:58
Not very good. I decided I have to ditch my 6lb pack for something lighter and can't really afford it. Going to buy a kit from antigravitygear.com to get rid of my heavy cookset and bruton stove. still have to buy a lightwieght sleeping pad becuase mine got torn up. have to plan on replacing my 3 year old boots somewhere along the trail. The car is having problems and not sure it will last through the winter.

Not trying sound like a whiner. Just what I'm having to deal with. I'm looking at the door I will be walking out of in early june, wether I plan to starve on the trail or not. I'm doing this. I've heard that dirt works well in potato soup if you keep stirring it.

justusryans
11-11-2005, 03:25
you can get a closed cell sleeping pad at wally world, you can pick up a pack cheep on ebay, can't help with your car though...

Seeker
11-11-2005, 16:13
you might find a blue foam pad at a garage sale or on the side of the road... i picked up three in the first two years i was here... blew out of the back of some local's pickup truck, i guess... but worked fine for cutting up into pot cozies, two butt pads, side wings for my hammock pad, and a porch swing seat...

Old Spice
11-11-2005, 22:39
Not very good. I decided I have to ditch my 6lb pack for something lighter and can't really afford it. Going to buy a kit from antigravitygear.com to get rid of my heavy cookset and bruton stove. still have to buy a lightwieght sleeping pad becuase mine got torn up. have to plan on replacing my 3 year old boots somewhere along the trail. The car is having problems and not sure it will last through the winter.

Not trying sound like a whiner. Just what I'm having to deal with. I'm looking at the door I will be walking out of in early june, wether I plan to starve on the trail or not. I'm doing this. I've heard that dirt works well in potato soup if you keep stirring it.

I ditched my 6lb Dana Design Terraplane (5800 cubic inches) and bought a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. The Dana was just weight too heavy, large, and expensive. The Granite Gear weighs only 2lbs, is 3500 cubic inches (which I am finding is the perfect size for my gear), and only costs $150. You should check this pack out. I cannot wait to get it out there!

Lanceglas
11-12-2005, 13:17
I am set on gear. My preparations are shifting toward experimental food dehydrating, and "field" testing varous DYI alchol stoves. Anyone else experimenting with dehydrating meals--we should collaborate.

Kerosene
11-13-2005, 16:00
I ditched my 6lb Dana Design Terraplane (5800 cubic inches) and bought a Granite Gear Vapor Trail.I downsized from a 2000 version of the Dana Design Terraplane X to the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, saving 4.8 pounds (7 lbs, 13 oz. down to 3 lbs) and I've never looked back. The Vapor Trail is widely used by thru-hikers. I do suggest that you add The Lid (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__PRODUCTID=GG350), which covers the top and provides a much-needed utility pocket for 2 ounces.

mogilews
11-14-2005, 15:06
I tested out my Nimbus Ozone on the Bartram before settling on it as THE pack for this year's AT trek. It's dreamy.

Only complaints: I am thinking of adding a mesh external sleeve for my water bag;, and if I cinch the compression straps from a wrong angle, the buckles snap pretty easily.

Footslogger
11-14-2005, 15:42
[quote=Old Spice]I ditched my 6lb Dana Design Terraplane (5800 cubic inches) and bought a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. \================================================= =

Well ...if your experience is anything like mine you'll really enjoy the pack. When I got home from my thru in 2003 my wife tried it on and liked it so much that she bought one for herself.

'Slogger

JoeHiker
11-14-2005, 16:06
The Vapor Trail is widely used by thru-hikers. I do suggest that you add The Lid (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__PRODUCTID=GG350), which covers the top and provides a much-needed utility pocket for 2 ounces.

Can you use the lid when the vapor trail is fully packed, including extension collar? Will it fit OK? The photos I see only show it with the collar not really in use

casanoah
11-16-2005, 15:57
So i'll be hitting the trail this March and im still a bit uncertain about which house I wanna carry on my back. What do ya'll think of the Granite Gear Virga? It's ultralight 3600 cubic inches, and weighs 1lbs 14 oz. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Peace, Love, and Cookies, Noah

casanoah
11-16-2005, 16:02
How many of you are taking tarps? Tents? Or nothing at all? I've got an MSR Micro-Zoid, its really small and light I think it weighs a little over 2 lbs. but im still toying with the idea of a tarp. My only concern would be Mosquitos and such, are my concerns justified? Is it worth it to take the extra weight and volume of a tent over a tarp or not? Thanks for the input.

Good medicine, Noah

frieden
11-16-2005, 17:49
I still don't have a pack, and there isn't a gear store within hundreds of miles where I could try them on, either. Selection here stinks. I'm probably going to have to buy most of my gear just a few weeks before we leave. I'll have to take one more trip to TN to try on packs, etc.

Casanoah, I'm taking a tent and tarp. I want a "porch" in the rain, and my tent doesn't have one. It is just a dome tent. It's pretty light, though. Tarps are like bandanas; you can use them for anything. We're using the tent the entire way, though, so it is more important to me, than someone planning to use shelters. If I was planning on using shelters, I would only pack a tarp. You could always bring mosquito netting to hang over your tarp, and weigh down the sides with stones.

stag3
11-16-2005, 18:08
Frieden...

No need to wait for the pack selection. All of the major online stores (REI, EMS....) have reasonable return policies. So, pick some and see what you like. For my last pack, I loaded the pack and walked the neighborhood until I was sure it was okay. I returned three packs.

Downside is you have to spend a few $$ for return shipping. You could probably order several from one outfitter and return them all at one time--save some $$.

Ditto for tents.

lilmountaingirl
11-16-2005, 20:11
I've got all of the gear I could possibly need...my problem is staying out of gear stores. :o I've roughed out a tentative itinerary which I'm sure will be out the window as soon as I hit Neel's Gap.

My planning is pretty much done as far as the hike goes. What I'm left with is figuring out what I want to sell/keep of my home stuff (furniture, kitchen stuff, etc). Great time to simplify my life...time for a garage sale, I suppose. That and where to house my car...unregistering it so I can uninsure it...blah blah blah...:confused:

I'm starting 5 months from today.:eek: I can't wait. :jump

dje97001
11-29-2005, 15:34
Well, we are finished getting gear. Last week we got some early Christmas presents--our winter hats and our rain hats. I think at this point we just have to worry about getting in decent shape and finding healthcare insurance, deciding what to do with our cars, emptying our apartment and setting up a schedule for all of the family who wants to meet up with us on the way. Fun fun. Gear selection and research was tough, but at least it was fun!

Smile
11-29-2005, 17:00
Ready, set....wanna go!
Just need to do a weekend up North in really cold temps for a shakedown...wish I could start Dec. 26th!

SpookySpider77
12-02-2005, 01:18
Think i have almost all the gear i need. New Light weight sleeping bag on the way. Thinking about food and trying out the old dehydrator. So much to do in so little time feeling the pressure.

Spirit Walker
12-02-2005, 10:43
I'm way behind. I mail ordered an Osprey pack - but didn't like it enough to keep it. (Great for a weekend, or even the AT, but we'll have some long 150 mile stretches between resupply on the CDT so 3200 ci just wasn't big enough.) After reading Chris' review, I may try the new ULA pack. I have a warm jacket- Patagonia Micropuff - but I'm not sure I really like it. (It was on sale - and it's ORANGE.) We need a new tent and we know what we'll probably get, either a Six Moons Design or a Henry Shires Tarptent, but haven't ordered it yet. Jim is looking for a new camera, but anything with decent zoom is HEAVY. My Frogg Togg jacket is already pretty worn - but I haven't decided whether to go with another one of those or a Precip. I know what the options are, pretty much know what I want - but have a hard time getting down to actually ordering anything. On the other hand, I have plenty of shoes - I've been picking those up whenever I find a pair I like on sale. But I need socks.

Trouble is, gear doesn't interest me much; I hate shopping; even more I hate spending money. Jim has been too busy getting the house ready to focus on the hike. OTOH, our five year old tent has an iffy zipper; my pack is not all that comfortable for me, and my fleece is getting worn - so I have to do something. And the camera got sand in it in Utah last year, so the shutter has a bad habit of sticking from time to time. We've broken a camera on every one of our hikes, so we aren't starting out with an iffy one. At least our ice axes are still good - if we can figure out where we hid them.

BW2006
12-08-2005, 09:31
I'm just starting the planning stage. Have some gear that I already own that I plan to pack with. A Gregory Reality backpack that I love and is really comfortable. I think it weighs 4 1/2 lbs which is a bit heavy but how necessary is it for me to buy all new gear for this trip? That could really add up. The North Face Snowshoe sleeping bag (I get cold and it's a zero degree bag). I plan to switch to a lighter one as the weather changes.

I'm using a pocket rocket stove and titanium tea kettle but don't know what kind of pot I need (if any) I'm thinking backpacking meals will be easiest. I have an MSR black light pan that I use all the time for weekend trips but don't know if I need a deeper pot to boil larger amounts. The tea kettle boils 32 oz really fast and only weighs 2oz.

I need to decide on a tent, sleeping pad (have ultra light 3/4 therm a rest don't know if I will take it or not) and water purification system. Also plan to buy the data books and maps at the end of this month when 2006 is available.

I'm open to critiques and suggestions. Also looking for a female partner or two to start at Springer late march/Early April. Don't have a trail name yet, want to earn one so for now I'm just "Barbie". See ya on the trail!!!

Katt
12-08-2005, 18:19
Just got my new tarptent in this week. The only thing I am missing at this time is my sleeping bag and a few odds and ins. Just a little over three months till trail time. : )

PartnerShip
12-08-2005, 19:39
Just had a moving sale this past weekend and was amazed at the people that came (I advertised in local paper)
Donated rest to charity and now have a tent and sleeping bags in Living Room. Kept personal items, pics, momentos, some clothes, did not want to pay for storage, will just keep items in back of HOnda CRV with family till we get back.
Found a lot of clothes at Trrift shops, Marmot jacket, Montbell pants, Lowe ALpine Pack, etc) bought others on ebay.
Still need a pack for me (Women's) have a Granite Gear Virga but not sure if it will work
Still looking, but very excited and don't regret a moment of this and don't miss anything I sold.
It is kind of like a letting go and getting ready. We have reserved a space to stay at the RUCK festival and look forward to that. Staying with family to save $$ till spring. Leaving our jobs as of Jan 1st. Both in our late 40's
Big changes but feels good.:banana

burger
12-08-2005, 19:46
It's slow going so far for me. But I'm not leaving til May (flip-flop), so I've got plenty of time still. I have my sleeping bags, pad, and tarptent, and I've decided on most of my other gear choices. The only big question marks remaining are shoes and a backpack (any suggestions would be great!). Fitness is coming along well, so now I just have to make sure I don't get injured between now and setting out.

Is anyone else as excited as me???? I have five months to go, and I'm really not sure if I can wait that long...

MisterSweetie
12-13-2005, 01:41
I just bought a tent. I hope to do some experimentation with it over the holidays... work out a way to cut out some of the poles, etc. It's an Eureka! Spitfire. Not high on the list of hikers, but I can't figure out why. Reviews are good, weight is good, and price is very nice.

Among large things to purchase still are sleeping bag (will get Marmot Helium) and possibly a new pack (if my current one weighs more than say 5 pounds, which I think it might not). I like my pack, but will get a Granite Gear Vapor Trail if my Gregory is too heavy.

Other than that, I just lack a bunch of semi-small stuff. Water purification, some clothes (layer stuff, thin things). I'm going to work on some alcohol stoves so I can carry one I made and not one I bought (pride thing, maybe).

I guess that's about all. :)

Cuffs
12-13-2005, 02:26
That and where to house my car...unregistering it so I can uninsure it...blah blah blah...:confused:

I'm starting 5 months from today.:eek: I can't wait. :jump

You may want to still consider insuring your car with just fire and theft. In case someone decides they want your car more than you do, you could at least get something out of it from the insurance co.

I have my every day car, but I also have a collector/show car that rarely goes anywhere. Even tho it is garaged, I still keep fire and theft on it just in case... and I can pay for just a month's premium if I feel the need to drive it (usually late spring thru summer).

Just a thot, hope theres some useful info for someone!

Hike on!

Frosty
12-13-2005, 09:40
No need to wait for the pack selection. All of the major online stores (REI, EMS....) have reasonable return policies. So, pick some and see what you like. For my last pack, I loaded the pack and walked the neighborhood until I was sure it was okay. I returned three packs.

Downside is you have to spend a few $$ for return shipping. You could probably order several from one outfitter and return them all at one time--save some $$.I did this with biking shoes once. I called Nashbar and told them what I was doing and they had no problem at all. Ordered four pair of different manufacturers, kept the best fit, and returned the other three.

Campmor also has a fine return policy.

HeartFire
12-19-2005, 01:46
I just bought a new pack, - Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, I love it. The guy at the outfitter was wonderful about trying on different belts to fit it for me, I (a 5'7 135# female) ended up with the mens medium belt, it just gave more support to the pack then the womens belt did. I have 2 sleeping bags, a 15* and 40* for summer - both mountain hardware and each is just over 1#, a pepsi can stove and just neeed a new tent - I want the REI quarter done, but they are out of stock at the momment , will have more in sometime in Jan. I am very busy dehydrating all of my meals - I have 2 dehydrators going non stop!, I'm waiting for my 2006 wingfoots book to come in the mail, and plan on 2 'shakedown' hikes - both with my Boy Scout troop in Jan and Feb.

wildbill4416
12-23-2005, 15:26
I have most of my gear, my 2006 Data book and 2005 Thru-Hiker's Companion. I am still planning my mail-drops. I also plan on getting a new pack, but may have to wait until after Christmas.

frieden
12-25-2005, 21:38
I don't have much more gear than before, but I finally got a pack. It is too small, but it is intentionally too small. I won't be able to carry a lot, so I have to figure out how to make it work with a smaller pack. I'm giving my daughter my car, so I won't have to worry about insurance (just getting to the trail), and I'm going to throw everything in storage. I still don't have a sleeping bag. I'm not able to "try them on" here, not many anyway, so it will probably come down to price. The Thinsulate that I got to make an insulated layer, is instead going to be made into jammies or a bag liner. I figure I need the warmth more when I stop, anyway. My daughter is taking the cats, so I'm almost set!

Conductor
01-03-2006, 17:55
Every time I say to myself, there its all here. I end up changing it again. But today... today its all here. No... wait a minute.

I still have a little over two months to get it all straight. I'm sitting in a pile of gear and its all sitting there looking back, wondering if its on the "cut list." But I need all this stuff, or do I. I'm so confused.

But seriously, I went out for an overnight shakedown a couple weeks ago in the foot deep snow in my backyard and found out that those three quarter length pads just don't cut it. Then I broke down and bought a headlamp after using a mini mag for years. I wonder what the kit will look like by Hot Springs ;)

Smile
01-03-2006, 18:19
Thank goodness for shakedown hikes! Found out I need to make a change or two, but other than that - ready to go! Now...if folks would just stop "checking" on me as I hike around town here in FL....they think I am homeless or a vagabond or something....

WHAT?? With all this new gear, and clean clothes? Gives one a good feeling that folks out there still care - one lady tried to hand me a fresh bag of Burgers from a fast food joint - yikes!

Seeker
01-03-2006, 18:30
Every time I say to myself, there its all here. I end up changing it again. But today... today its all here. No... wait a minute.

I still have a little over two months to get it all straight. I'm sitting in a pile of gear and its all sitting there looking back, wondering if its on the "cut list." But I need all this stuff, or do I. I'm so confused.

But seriously, I went out for an overnight shakedown a couple weeks ago in the foot deep snow in my backyard and found out that those three quarter length pads just don't cut it. Then I broke down and bought a headlamp after using a mini mag for years. I wonder what the kit will look like by Hot Springs ;)

i suspect your 3/4 length pad didn't cut it because you were in MI in December, not in GA in April.

if you still have questions about 'need' vs 'want', gather your courage, jump, and post your gear list... it can get ugly, and you may get conflicting views, but you'll definately get opinions. some of them (most of them actually) are even good!:D

Conductor
01-04-2006, 08:31
i suspect your 3/4 length pad didn't cut it because you were in MI in December, not in GA in April.

if you still have questions about 'need' vs 'want', gather your courage, jump, and post your gear list... it can get ugly, and you may get conflicting views, but you'll definately get opinions. some of them (most of them actually) are even good!:D

Actually Seeker, I've got a pretty good handle on what gear I need. Its all posted in my journal. (http://www.trailjournals.com/Conductor)

Doctari
01-04-2006, 09:05
I "need" a new sleeping bag. Still undecided as to which one, so am making do with the old'n.

I want a new camera, am going to go digital, but as that takes major $$$ I may never get one. Problem is, I currently have a 110 camera, and getting film for 110 cameras is getting increasingly difficult.

But, for the most part, short of buying food, I could leave tomorrow for a thru. Today if I had to :p In fact, if I really had to, ie: someone pulled up in front of my house right now & said "I'll pay all your bills, support your family, and finance your hike, but you have to be ready to leave in 5 minutes!!!" I could do it. With a full pack weight of less than 30 Lbs including 5 days food. I would get the new bag at Neil"s gap :D

Doctari.

HarleyHogPit
01-04-2006, 12:16
The trail is a little less than 3 months away for me. I really need to start busting butt at the gym. I ordered my sleeping bag yesterday and I am going to order my hammock today. Still have a lot of gear to get, hope the money keeps coming in. Lots of planning yet to do.

HarleyHogPit
01-04-2006, 12:23
I want a new camera, am going to go digital, but as that takes major $$$ I may never get one. Problem is, I currently have a 110 camera, and getting film for 110 cameras is getting increasingly difficult.
Doctari.
Doctari I would definitely get rid of the 110 camera and get an inexpensive 35mm camera. A little point and shoot would do the trick and it would take a much better photo than the one you have now I am pretty sure. It would be cheaper than digital and you wouldn't have problems finding film anywhere. Check it out.

Seeker
01-04-2006, 18:12
The trail is a little less than 3 months away for me. I really need to start busting butt at the gym. I ordered my sleeping bag yesterday and I am going to order my hammock today. Still have a lot of gear to get, hope the money keeps coming in. Lots of planning yet to do.

sure... all that help we gave, narrowing down the list from heck, and she didn't even tell us what she bought.... :D so, whadja git?

frieden
01-04-2006, 20:05
I've learned a lot so far, like how the "big" sleeping pads only cover 2/3 of the bottom of my tent! I think I've got it worked out, though, but I have to make sure the gear goes in, before Ed does, so he'll stay off of the exposed 1/3 of the tent floor. He loves sleeping in the tent.....without eating it. Yeah! I still do not have a bag/quilt, but one little victory at a time.

Smile, I can't believe...well, yes I can. I guess if you aren't driving around in a Lexus, you're homeless. <sigh> Soon, we'll all be house-less, and loving it! Whoohoo!

Doctari
01-04-2006, 20:40
Doctari I would definitely get rid of the 110 camera and get an inexpensive 35mm camera. A little point and shoot would do the trick and it would take a much better photo than the one you have now I am pretty sure. It would be cheaper than digital and you wouldn't have problems finding film anywhere. Check it out.

Yea, I know. Have had the 110 "forever" takes OK pictures & is way light. I have an "inexpensive 35mm camera" but It's more than 2x the weight of the 110, (Yea, whatever) but I just dont like it, sigh.

My thoughts on the digital are: with 2 (or 3) memory cards able to hold over 500 pictures each, I figure I would be able to not buy any film, AND take as many pictures as I wanted. My "requirements" for the camera are:
Must run on AA batteries, Memory card (or whatever) able to be removed & mailed without loss of data, Flash, Waterproof (able to be submerged at least 20 ft. Overkill for those rainy AT days.) at least 2 focus settings, adjustable time delay, Major Megapixels, preview feature.

Yep, more weight than my 110 or the 35mm, but, , , , ,

Doctari.

bsell
01-06-2006, 21:23
a great book for dehydrating food is trail foods, i forget the author