PDA

View Full Version : PCT 2006/footwear

ShaggySTICKS
11-10-2005, 09:07
Well my plans are in the making for thru-hiking the PCT next year. :banana But I am kind of worried about the footwear thing. I wear a size 16 boot and it is nearly impossible to find any kind of footwear that would be lightweight and feasible to use on the PCT... Last year when i hiked the AT I started with a size 15 boot. I quickly outgrew them, got a pair of sneakers and wore them for a week before they blew out. Then walked in a pair of tevas for 450 miles. The sandle walking gave me a stress fracture, which put me at home for a month. During that month the only pair of boots i found was a pair of size 16 all leather red wing construction boots. I then got a ride to Maine, and walked back to Boiling Springs where i left off. The Red Wings did ok, got me 900 miles before i experienced any problems. Then for 200 miles I did surgury on them everynight, but they lasted. After I got home I returned them and got a new pair free, they had a one year guarentee (god bless America).... But now on the PCT i wonder if those red wings will do the trick. For the first 700 miles in the southern california desert, will leather boots kill me? I did big miles and am not worried about that. I am more worried about my feet sweating profoundly and causing mad blisters. Any ideas or info would help... Thanks! ShaggySTICKS

tlbj6142
11-10-2005, 10:25
Search for a post from "Chris" about footware (in the gear review forum) that is over 2 years old. I believe he also has big feet and did the PCT in 2003.

Here it is...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2382

he also had a follow up a year later...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5634

chris
11-10-2005, 10:51
I wear size 15 runners and I would highly (highly!) recommend using running shoes (not even trail runners) in SoCal. I had, perhaps, 4 blisters the whole 2650 miles. That might be an overestimate, though.

That being said, I've known of some people to use sandals the whole way, even through the Sierra, though they seemed to experience more foot problems than I did. I knew one dude who hiked the whole thing, including SoCal in boots. Leather boots. He did ok and seemed to have about the same number of blisters as the average hiker.

The ground temps will almost always be over 100 and probably closer to 120 in many areas. If you can find size 16 (and you should) runners, that is 100% the route I would go.

Whistler
11-10-2005, 11:14
Road Runner Sports could be a good resource for you. They've got all kinds of the larger sizes and a pretty wide selection, too. The small member fee might be worth it for the quick delivery while you're on-trail, and they've also got a great return policy.
-Mark

alanthealan
11-11-2005, 01:10
sweade works great in the desert

Tha Wookie
11-11-2005, 01:58
I wear size 15 runners and I would highly (highly!) recommend using running shoes (not even trail runners) in SoCal. I had, perhaps, 4 blisters the whole 2650 miles. That might be an overestimate, though.

That being said, I've known of some people to use sandals the whole way, even through the Sierra, though they seemed to experience more foot problems than I did. I knew one dude who hiked the whole thing, including SoCal in boots. Leather boots. He did ok and seemed to have about the same number of blisters as the average hiker.

The ground temps will almost always be over 100 and probably closer to 120 in many areas. If you can find size 16 (and you should) runners, that is 100% the route I would go.

I agree with chris. Carry some slippers to air those dogs out. It gets hot.

A more aggressive trail runner will get you through the Sierras, in a moderate snow year. that depends on when you hit it, of course.

Mike
11-11-2005, 09:30
I have had good luck finding shoes for my 14 4E feet at a New Balance store here in Indy. You might hop on NB or Dunham Boots websites and check out there product offerings. The NB stores do a good job of carrying most of their product line in most of their sizes.