PDA

View Full Version : What do you most want when you hit a trail town?

Pumba
04-27-2015, 16:37
I am fortunate that I live very close to the AT in PA, near Boiling Springs. I had the thought that I'd like to do something nice for those that will be coming through soon to help lift spirits and maybe stave away hunger. What is it that you most crave when hitting a trail town? Chocolate, Pringles, beer?! Lol. I'm not wealthy but I'd like to do something. I was thinking of leaving some goodies in the box outside of the AT office in Boiling Springs for hikers to enjoy, but I don't know what y'all would like. Would love some suggestions as to what I can do.

Bigfoot86
04-27-2015, 16:39
Food. Cold peach snapple and peanut m&ms. I also live near the at.

BirdBrain
04-27-2015, 16:49
When I get to town the 1st thing I want to do is get back on the trail. Not helpful, but someone was going to say it. Might as well be me.

BirdBrain
04-27-2015, 16:55
Now for a less sarcastic answer. Shower, laundry, resupply, sleep, and then early start.

peakbagger
04-27-2015, 17:07
Realistically what I want would not be something you could leave in a box. What I would love to see is up to date map maybe with various trail services located on it. Show a you are here mark on it and maybe include phone numbers. When I got into town in Boiling Springs years ago it was quite a hot day and all I wanted while walking through was a cold drink (preferably milk) and an ice cream.

BirdBrain
04-27-2015, 17:12
Realistically what I want would not be something you could leave in a box.

Seems to me that would be exactly where you would leave it.

Lone Wolf
04-27-2015, 17:16
beer. shower. buffet. laundry

garlic08
04-27-2015, 17:23
Greasy food.

One of the nicest trail-side treats I saw on my AT hike was a tin of brownies and a thermos of warm coffee on a cold rainy day.

Thank you for asking. If you do something, it'll be nice of you.

MuddyWaters
04-27-2015, 20:11
Shower
Calories
Clean bed

in that order

WingedMonkey
04-27-2015, 20:18
Would be nice if Boiling Springs had a decent campsite near the trail.

Walkintom
04-27-2015, 20:27
beer. shower. buffet. laundry

In that order. Yes, please. And seconds, all around.

BirdBrain
04-27-2015, 20:33
A prudent hiker has what they need or plans to get it. What they could use at times is an easier way to get what they need in the form of a ride. Of course that would cut into the profits of those that run for hire shuttles. I am happy to buy sugar bombs in town. I am not always happy about the long walk. Gas is expensive. Towns are often close by if driving. A dollar a ride might be a break even proposition. Running a shuttle like this would be a charitable jesture that many would appreciate and would only cost the driver their time. I never look for or expect free food. A ride would be great. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe put a can on the dash that reads "no charge, tip if you want to".

4eyedbuzzard
04-27-2015, 20:46
Have to agree with LW's list - and the clean bed with sheets many mentioned. Thinking back many years, most of us probably would have listed a pay phone and P.O. And maybe even a barber shop for some. Along those lines of thought, I'm a bit surprised a Wifi hotspot hasn't made the list yet, even given cell data service.

rocketsocks
04-27-2015, 20:53
Water............

Donde
04-27-2015, 21:17
3 beers in a long hot shower.

mudsocks
04-27-2015, 21:39
Transportation but that's not easy to leave in a hiker box.

Carbo
04-27-2015, 21:50
Water............

+++1

I'll drink to that!

squeezebox
04-28-2015, 02:41
A bicycle to get around town.

Patrickjd9
04-28-2015, 05:16
Would be nice if Boiling Springs had a decent campsite near the trail.

I'll be section hiking the Cumberland Valley with a friend shortly. After looking at camping options, we decided to split our car shuttle there and drive off to a motel.

Starchild
04-28-2015, 07:04
Things that I did get gifted in towns that I really appreciated were stays, rides or use of vehicles (mostly unneeded here), meals and drinks at restaurants, and beer and other adult beverages.

Other things also appreciated were camping space, and well stocked hiker boxes (fuel & food)

But the thing about town stops is when you are in town and can acquire these things quite easily (but some towns do require rides). And while it is very nice to find out when i ask for the check that my tab at the tavern was covered by someone, I still would have enjoyed my food and drink if I had to pay for it myself.

This is different then on trail where I can not acquire these things myself and can only be gifted to me. So just wondering why do this in town instead of a trail crossing without services?

Christoph
04-28-2015, 08:03
Came into Franklin yesterday and there were 3 cold beers in the hiker box. One of those hit the spot!

Busky2
04-28-2015, 08:13
Yuengling and a Pizza or Orange juice, I don't know why but I crave OJ when on trail.

RED-DOG
04-28-2015, 10:27
I don't get anything in boiling springs except to stop by the ATC office and sign their register and chit chat a while, I either go to Carlisle or wait till Duncannon, but what I want when I get to a decent town is a place to stay, warm shower, Hamburgers and fries and ice cream, resupply, laundry.

what you should do is set up at the ATC office with stuff such as cold drinks, sandwiches, chips, cookies and maybe some hot dogs

jimmyjam
04-28-2015, 18:36
A big fat cheeseburger with all the fixins, cold beer, hot shower, laundry. In that order.

Pumba
04-28-2015, 21:59
This is different then on trail where I can not acquire these things myself and can only be gifted to me. So just wondering why do this in town instead of a trail crossing without services?

I thought this because I live close to the trail in the trail town. It seems most places in the cumberland valley are close to towns and because of this, I'd have to travel a distance to get to a remote area away from a trail town. I'm not saying I won't do this, I just thought because of my vicinity that I would do it in Boiling Springs. Now if I lived near the 100 Mile Wilderness, that would be a different story. :)

I appreciate the feedback. It seems many don't seem to care for anything, or at least something I can provide and others crave exactly what I thought they might. You've given me some ideas and I appreciate that.

q-tip
04-29-2015, 09:05
Chocolate Milk - I just have to have it.

shelb
04-30-2015, 23:28
A real shower!

Drybones
05-01-2015, 07:56
Cheeseburger, fries, cold beer, cold beer, cold beer.

Christoph
05-07-2015, 13:12
So I'm 18 days in on my 1st zero. I usually don't drink a while lot of soda but my biggest craving has been an ice cold can of Coke. ???

August W.
05-07-2015, 13:17
I usually find myself wanting to figure out a way to make a living off backpacking and traveling.

Pumba
06-05-2015, 21:19
I was thinking of setting up a bit of trail magic in the Cumberland Valley (PA) next week. Does anyone know if what I'm sure is a slightly deflated bubble is near this area yet? Hopefully I'm not too late.

shelb
06-05-2015, 21:32
shower and food~

Starchild
06-06-2015, 06:14
I thought this because I live close to the trail in the trail town. It seems most places in the cumberland valley are close to towns and because of this, I'd have to travel a distance to get to a remote area away from a trail town. I'm not saying I won't do this, I just thought because of my vicinity that I would do it in Boiling Springs. Now if I lived near the 100 Mile Wilderness, that would be a different story. :)

I appreciate the feedback. It seems many don't seem to care for anything, or at least something I can provide and others crave exactly what I thought they might. You've given me some ideas and I appreciate that.

OK that is different, the thing I mostly appreciated in these situations is a offer of a overnight stay, a work for stay also can be nice.

ViolentOrgasm
06-06-2015, 08:01
Local women that know how to have a good time.

DavidNH
06-06-2015, 08:13
As Birdbrain said.. shower, laundry resupply, sleep. Except I have to add "pig out at nearest buffet or other good restaurant! The restaurant comes very soon after showering!

BARKEATER
06-06-2015, 14:37
Shower, Food,clean bed.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-07-2015, 21:35
A flushing toilet. A clean shower. Beer and a burger/fries while doing laundry. Being allowed to just sit back and hang out somewhere with my shoes off.

magneto
06-08-2015, 05:50
What I want most is to resupply and get back on the trail as quickly as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrap89
06-08-2015, 11:27
a nice comfortable place to sit down.