PDA

View Full Version : Damascus-Atkins Summer '15

Hnsnhiker
04-27-2015, 16:54
Last edition I have of AWOL AT Guide is 2013so needed an update on camping near shelters in this section. Several shelters do not show icon for tents but in googling pics I see tents near them. I tent and my son hammocks so looking for areas that accommodate us both. Do I need to make any reservations/get permits for this area? Is NOBO or SOBO a better option? :-? Any safe places you recommend 1/2 way thru to leave a car? I hear parts of this section are quite difficult and wondered what a realistic mileage per day would be due to terrain. We have 6-8 days. I have hiked from Waynesboro to HF in short trips and have done a lot of day hiking in SNP so this is my first trip outside my stomping ground. It is also the first trip since being diagnosed with breast cancer last year :mad: so I'm just feeling a little nervous about it all. (that's why I want to leave one car in the middle in case I need to pull off the trail, son can keep going). Any tips or awareness of the area you can give me are appreciated. I've felt like this :banana ever since my son asked my to hike with him this summer.

Lone Wolf
04-27-2015, 17:20
best pace to leave a car is Massie gap inside Grayson Highlands state park. SOBO is the better way to go. no reservations or permits needed

bigcranky
04-27-2015, 17:59
Last edition I have of AWOL AT Guide is 2013so needed an update on camping near shelters in this section. Several shelters do not show icon for tents but in googling pics I see tents near them. I tent and my son hammocks so looking for areas that accommodate us both. Do I need to make any reservations/get permits for this area? Is NOBO or SOBO a better option? :-? Any safe places you recommend 1/2 way thru to leave a car? I hear parts of this section are quite difficult and wondered what a realistic mileage per day would be due to terrain. We have 6-8 days. I have hiked from Waynesboro to HF in short trips and have done a lot of day hiking in SNP so this is my first trip outside my stomping ground. It is also the first trip since being diagnosed with breast cancer last year :mad: so I'm just feeling a little nervous about it all. (that's why I want to leave one car in the middle in case I need to pull off the trail, son can keep going). Any tips or awareness of the area you can give me are appreciated. I've felt like this :banana ever since my son asked my to hike with him this summer.

I would also recommend hiking southbound from Atkins back to Damascus. You can park at the backpacker lot at Grayson Highlands State Park, which is about halfway. The lot is 1/2 mile from the AT. Makes for an easy resupply and shower (leave resupply in your car, and shower at the state park campground. No real stores anywhere nearby.) Once you get to Damascus you can get a ride back to GH for the car.

Camping at shelters. Hmm, going sobo: no camping at Partnership Shelter. Lots of tent sites at Trimpi, some at Hurricane, some at Old Orchard. No camping right at the shelter at Wise (it's in the state park) but there are many good sites in the FS area just before the shelter -- when you cross Quebec Branch look to the right. No tent camping at Thomas Knob, but plenty of sites in the stretch between Rhodo Gap and the shelter. Lots of camping at Lost Mountain and Saunders.

No permits needed.

The section is not that difficult - though there are a few substantial climbs (~2000 feet), most are well graded. If you take it easy it can be done in 6-8 days, though you might want to start at the Mt Rogers Headquarters building about 12 miles south of Atkins. That makes it a nice ~65 mile hike, and you don't really miss much :)

Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Good luck with everything, and happy trails.

Hnsnhiker
04-28-2015, 09:15
Thanks Big Cranky and Lone Wolf. I found some other threads saying it was more fun to end in Damascus vs. Atkins! Thx for the help.