PDA

View Full Version : Where ii the best place to hammock camp in Hot Springs NC

rescue21
04-27-2015, 21:25
We will be starting a section hike out of Hot Springs in a few weeks and would like to spend the first night in/Near Hot Springs. We will be Hammock Camping. Does anyone have suggestions on the best place to stay. There will be 5 hammock campers. Thanks

Just Bill
04-27-2015, 22:28
South of town, towards Max Patch, there are several good sites near the river (about midway between Max Patch and town). Also right about the foot of Max patch there is a popular campsite.

Been a few years, so a local might have to give you more details, that is if you are even going South, lol.

Don't recall anything specifically close NOBO, the SOBO sites stick out as I saw two such groups of 3-5 hanging just as you describe.

OTH- it's the AT, there's a fair amount of trees :D

No Directions
04-27-2015, 22:43
The first 1/2 mile or so of trail north of Hot Springs is along the river. There are several places along the river to hammock camp.

Slo-go'en
04-27-2015, 23:23
North, along the French Broad (the river), past the NOC compound would be the best place to try, but it's a narrow strip of land between a rocky cliff and the river, with a few small campsites along the way. Then it's a steep climb up to the ridge. Heading south from town is a steady 2 mile up hill hike, which was kinda steep near the bottom as it approached town. The town is located in a river gorge.

There is a commercial campground near the river too. If your getting into town kinda late in the day, the campground would be your best bet as searching for a place to set up 5 hammocks as it's getting dark and not being familiar with the area is really not a good idea.

joec
04-28-2015, 09:29
The first 1/2 mile or so of trail north of Hot Springs is along the river. There are several places along the river to hammock camp.

I came down to the river from the north several years ago, exhausted, and strung up my hammock. The next morning as I walked into town, I noticed all the loose rocks that appeared to have fallen from the steep side of the mountain that I had come down via extreme switchbacks the night before. I wondered how dangerous it could be sleeping by the river and getting a rock in the hammock and hustled on into town.

rescue21
04-28-2015, 14:09
North, along the French Broad (the river), past the NOC compound would be the best place to try, but it's a narrow strip of land between a rocky cliff and the river, with a few small campsites along the way. Then it's a steep climb up to the ridge. Heading south from town is a steady 2 mile up hill hike, which was kinda steep near the bottom as it approached town. The town is located in a river gorge.

There is a commercial campground near the river too. If your getting into town kinda late in the day, the campground would be your best bet as searching for a place to set up 5 hammocks as it's getting dark and not being familiar with the area is really not a good idea.

Thanks for the info. do you remember the name of the commercial campground? I tried calling and emailing a campground in hotsprings by the name "hotsprings resort and spa" but no one will answer phones or email. I heard of a national forest campground just south of town also but don't know alot about it.

Slo-go'en
04-28-2015, 16:28
If you went to http://www.nchotsprings.com or called 828-622-7267, that is all the info I have from the AWOL guide of 2013.

oldwetherman
04-28-2015, 21:00
I'm lucky enough to live near Hot Springs and get there often. The campground is a possibility and may work with you and allow you to put 5 hammocks on one site if they're not busy. It would be best to give them a call. It's still "off season" so the best time of the day to call em might be between noon and 4PM. The number is 828-622-7676. I'd suggest giving Bluff Mountain outfitters in town a call at 622-7162. They may know of some other places in town that may let you hang. If nothing works out with the campground or the outfitter, PM me and maybe we can up with some other possibilities.

rescue21
04-29-2015, 22:38
Good info...I called the outfitters and they told me that about 3 miles south of town, the pisgah National Forest campground would open up memorial day and its only $8 a site per night so thats where im headed. Commercial campground never emailed me back or called back....so, there loss. thanks guys for your comments and help.