PDA

View Full Version : rehydrating issues

Chickenfeet
01-19-2003, 16:50
I've read that foods with high fat content, once dehydrated, are difficult to rehydrate. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking of dehydrating some asian style peanut sauce. Will this be too fatty to rehydrate tastily? Maybe I'll just try it and let yall know.

XOXO

Chickenfeet
01-21-2003, 12:06
Okay, so I've been dehydrating the peanut butter sauce at 115F for almost 2 days now. It just has too much oil to turn to leather. You all probably already knew that. Thanks for letting me learn the hard way. It's always fun. I'm gonna try cranberry sauce now.

XOXO

DebW
01-21-2003, 12:50
Would it be possible to make the peanut sauce without the fat so that it can be dehydrated., then add the fat after rehydrating? You could carry olive oil or peanut oil. Might be a good trick to remove fat from peanuts though -- how about making natural peanutbutter and wait a month for the oil to separate out. I think I've seen powdered peanut sauce in the ethnic foods section at the supermarket - you could check the ingredients.

Chickenfeet
01-21-2003, 16:34
yeah, maybe dry roasted unsalted peanuts in the coffee grinder?

I might try that.

BUT, the oily version I just packaged might work okay. It's kind of the texture of dried out donut frosting. Smushy, but crisp-flaky. I wonder how well it will keep. I have it in the freezer now.

hikerltwt
02-01-2003, 22:54
You can purchase penut powder from adventure foods if that helps.

Hammock Hanger
02-01-2003, 23:34
Could you just use PB and add the spices? I make a peanut sauce by heating up the PB with my choice of spice. HH

Chickenfeet
02-03-2003, 18:49
Well, for the peanut sauce I made, I wouldn't want to carry all the ingredients. I don't remember exactly what I put in it, but it included the following:

soy sauce
garlic
fresh ginger
rice vinegar
brown sugar

I could make a simpler sauce like yours, I suppose, but what fun is that for me NOW, on my dehydrator rampage? :) Right now I'm going CRAZY with 2 dehydrators. It's fun. My goal is to make most of our meals interesting and complex, yet only have to add water to make them. I think the oily peanut sauce I dehydrated will work fine, but if I make it again, I think I will try reduced fat PB in combo dry roasted peanut powder like I mentioned before.

thanks guys!

Lanceglas
02-12-2006, 13:09
I made a Thai peanut sauce from PB, water, lemongrass, ginger, pepper, etc. Through it on stir fry, brown rice, veggies tofu, etc. Dehydrated it, rehydrated it, and it was fantastic. A little oily (I used too much olive oil frying the veggies), but otherwise no problems

mweinstone
02-12-2006, 14:54
peanut sauce is made by adding water to peanut butter.takes 5 seconds.