PDA

View Full Version : Communion with animal and nature on the AT

rickb
11-10-2005, 11:35
Not quite sure how to start this thread, other than by example.

There have been times while hiking that I have had the feeling that nature it talking to me directly, as an individual. I'm not saying that my intellectual self really believes that, but rather that it has really felt that way.

I was thinking of this when I posted my pole on box turtles. The first time I ever saw one was near the Thelma Marks shelter. While I would have found it interesting no matter what, at the time I was feeling really alone and bummed out that I was walking too slow-- like a turtle. I remember thinking exactly in those terms.

I was full of doubt and depressed, when all of a sudden I was joined by a critter that I didn't know existed on the AT. It wasn't just a neat experience, but rather a magical one.

I've had my share of similar experiences in the years since. Most would probably sound just as trivial in the telling, but for me were somehow meaningful nevertheless. Not because of what I was seeing, but rather because of what I was thinking and feeling at the time.

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar stories...

Tha Wookie
11-10-2005, 11:56
Wow, I know what you mean. Here's the story about a cricket I wrote before I started thru-hiking.

http://trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=141

Footslogger
11-10-2005, 12:30
Rick ....the closest I can come was the morning I left out of South Woodstock to climb Franconia Ridge. I had a kidney stone attack on the way up to Sterling Campground and slipped into hypothermia. Two hikers came to my assistance and after about an hour I was able to hike back down to spend a day of rest (and rehydration) in North Woodstock. Anyway, as I stood up and began my hike back down the hill towards town I noticed that a great horned owl was perched above my head. As I would cover 50 feet or so the owl would take flight and reposition itself directly above me. This lasted almost all the way back down to the highway. I truly felt as if that owl was watching out for me.

'Slogger

rickb
11-10-2005, 12:38
'Slogger--

I remember having to read a story in HS titled "I heard the Owl Call my Name". I've long since forgotten the particulars, but it I am pretty sure that the last thing you want to see when you find yourself in a life and death predicament is an owl-- at least by the beliefs of some Native Americans.

Or if you do see one, you really don't want it to hoot anything that sounds like your name. If I were in your situation, the sight of that owl might have done me in!

Rick B

(Yours was a cool story, too, Wookie!)

Footslogger
11-10-2005, 12:41
[quote=rickboudrie]
I've long since forgotten the particulars, but it I am pretty sure that the last thing you want to see when you find yourself in a life and death predicament is an owl-- at least by the beliefs of some Native Americans.
==========================================
Funny, I never heard that and always thought of an owl as a sign of good luck. Regardless ...I felt as if that owl had my best interests at heart that day. Now, if I had seen it just before or during my bout of hypothermia I might have felt otherwise. But the sighting occurred after I had been revived and was on my feet again.

'Slogger

Mouse
11-10-2005, 13:02
http://www.atmuseum.org/wild_animals.htm
:rolleyes:

Mags
11-10-2005, 13:18
As I walk, As I walk, the universe is walking with me.
--Navajo chant

Feel this communion many times, esp. when hiking solo. When solo, everything is intense; including my affinity for the natural world.

Tractor
11-10-2005, 14:19
I don't know whether I feel more a part of nature, or that nature is more a part of me, but many times (on solo hikes) I catch myself smiling no matter the weather, no matter the terrain, no matter the miles. I have had many animal encounters but most of the rush has been for the moment, magical and intense indeed, but the memories retold would be more like showing someone else a picture that never ever really captures those moments as they were experienced.................... When reading youall's recollections I can "almost get it" and wish I had been there too. Problem is, If we had not had these experiences alone, would it have been? Makes me want to get back on the trail very soon indeed.

Curt
11-10-2005, 20:15
I like to hike alone but when I stop for the night I like to have someone around even if that someone is of the silent type. One evening I was at a shelter by myself and for some reason I was feeling very lonely and uneasy. I told the Lord how I felt and asked if HE could send someone to keep me company. As I was finishing my prayer a bird flew in and stayed in the shelter all night. I slept well that night because I knew that the Lord was keeping an eye on me.

Corsican

Husko
11-11-2005, 00:47
Wonderful experiences thank you for sharing! I especially liked the posts about the bird in the shelter and the owl.

I must have bad karma. the only experience that i've been able to enjoy so far were two coyotes sneaking up 20 feet behind me as I sat down in camp. Scared me half to death. Maybe I should welcome thier presence more and except what they have to offer. As long as they don't "Pass" me on the trail lol.

fishinfred
11-11-2005, 10:00
Somewheres in Va..."I need to get back in touch with the Nature part of the hike" . 10 Minutes after I wrote this in my journal a Doe walked up on my camp and she stayed for a good 20-30 minutes just walking around me & my site.It really made me feel like I was where I was supposed to be!
Just one instance that comes to mind....Nature is the draw for me that calls me back to the trail year after year,not to mention the other "Nature lovin people" ...
FF

Mouse
11-11-2005, 10:11
Twice I passed fawns close enough to touch, motionless on their spindly legs and staring up at me with big eyes.

Then there was the spruce grouse in NE gazing at me so very like my pet cockatiel that she made me burst into tears of homesickness.

And the bold red squirrels in Maine scolding me for invading their turf and pelting me with pinecones!

Lone Wolf
11-11-2005, 10:16
I shot a chicken at Maineak's house years back. I cleaned it and ate the still warm heart. I communed with it's nature. Kill it and grill it.

CynJ
11-11-2005, 10:48
I spend a lot of time in the woods just gawking around. The entire experience from the smell, the sounds, the textures, the colors- I find everything very sensual (kindly remove your mind from the gutter now lol).

I love finding "surprises" out there. We were hiking along the stream gorge in Enders State forest -and everything was green or brown - all the trees were moss covered and I was starting to feel a bit claustrophobic (sp?) with all the green. I said to my husband "you know a spot of color would be nice - a flower or something". We started down another path to the stream and came across a huge downed tree across the path. Mike and the dog clumbered over it and I decided to go around it. When I did at the broken off stump I found my spot of color! It was a HUGE bright orange/yellow mushroom. It was the size of a basketball. Absolutely glorious! I spent the next while taking a whole roll of pictures of my mushroom. It greatly improved my mood.

Another cute episode was when we were in another state forest and my husband and the dog were about 1/4mile ahead of me on the trail. I stopped to change out my film in the camera when I heard this massive crack followed by a thud followed by a chewbacca howl. I froze in my tracks and looked around. There was a small black bear that was up in the tree when the branch broke from his chunky behind. He was very indignant that he fell and he got up and shook himself off, looked at me then went sulking off into the bushes. lol....

Seeker
11-11-2005, 11:32
more a general observation than specific instance... when i was a kid, i used to feel really in tune with the woods... that's changed over time, but is coming back... i'm starting to 'hear' it talk to me again, but nothing distinct yet... but i know it's there... and my daughter told me once the trees told her something, but she still won't tell me what they said... she said it was private... i'm happy for her... and for those of you who do hear the call...

Just Jeff
11-11-2005, 11:37
Sounds corny, but I feel like I'm communing with nature every time I find water I can drink without treating it.

Tha Wookie
11-11-2005, 13:01
I shot a chicken at Maineak's house years back. I cleaned it and ate the still warm heart. I communed with it's nature. Kill it and grill it.

I know you're saying it a joking manner, but I believe that hunting can be just as much participating and connecting with nature as talking to a turtle or listening to a hawk.

We certainly have a natural role as hunters.

"Intent" is the key. Our intent is what takes that connection and brings it up to levels of experience far beyond the simple kill and grill mentality (which still is a connection, although not very descript)

Tha Wookie
11-11-2005, 13:02
Sounds corny, but I feel like I'm communing with nature every time I find water I can drink without treating it.

That doesn't sound corny at all. It's exactly what you're doing.

Seeker
11-11-2005, 14:48
I know you're saying it a joking manner, but I believe that hunting can be just as much participating and connecting with nature as talking to a turtle or listening to a hawk.

We certainly have a natural role as hunters.

"Intent" is the key. Our intent is what takes that connection and brings it up to levels of experience far beyond the simple kill and grill mentality (which still is a connection, although not very descript)
odd timing for this... but maybe there's a reason... i live in a small town, about 10k people... definitely not metro. i took my daughter to church wednesday night... while on the main drag through town, the guy in front of us hit a small deer... my daughter was horrified to watch it struggle further out into traffic and thrash around... it took a long while to die... i asked her if it would have been better had it been shot, or died the way it did. i explained how hunting keeps the population under control, and in the woods where they belong, vs the search for food and spaace driving them into residential areas... same with moose and wolves, etc... i also explained how the laws differ in germany, where only the weaker animals are hunted, resulting in a healthier deer population.

dudley
11-11-2005, 15:37
When ever my dad used the line" communing with nature " he was talking about using the privy :eek:

I came face to face with a big bull moose on a trail in New Brunswick one time.
A little too close to nature for me.
NIckles worth of free advice: watch where you are going :rolleyes:

weary
11-11-2005, 17:21
I know you're saying it a joking manner, but I believe that hunting can be just as much participating and connecting with nature as talking to a turtle or listening to a hawk. We certainly have a natural role as hunters. "Intent" is the key. Our intent is what takes that connection and brings it up to levels of experience far beyond the simple kill and grill mentality (which still is a connection, although not very descript)
I've hunted for at least 60 years. The message from the adult hunters in my family was always, "if you shoot it, you eat it."

As a result I've eaten a few creatures that are only barely edible. But I still think it's a good rule. These days I'm not much into killing fellow creatures. But I still make half hearted efforts most falls to put a deer in the freezer, occasionally with success.

I know what one has to do to shoot a deer. But I get bored after a few minutes and just go exploring an interesting piece of woods or field. I've found that curiosity about what is around the next bend is not a way to stock a freezer.

As for chickens, Lone Wolf, an ax and a chopping block works far better than a gun.

Weary

Tha Wookie
11-12-2005, 00:13
As for chickens, Lone Wolf, an ax and a chopping block works far better than a gun.

Weary

yeah, maybe he ate the heart because it was all that was left.:-?

Lone Wolf
11-12-2005, 01:33
Nope. Was a .22 rifle and I took 1 shot. Hit it in the head, it was on the run too.

justusryans
11-12-2005, 03:24
Damn!!! I'm impressed. I'm a helluva shot when it comes to a stationary target but can't seem to hit the side of a barn on a moving target. I'm always impressed by folks who can!!

PartnerShip
11-12-2005, 09:24
According to Native American Medicine Cards the Owl is a sacred medicine bird.
Owl is a symbol for wisdom and sees what others cannot which is the essence of true wisdom. Most of humanity is afraid of the dark but the night is owls friend as it sees through and beyond things.
Owl people cannot easily be decieved
If you see or dream of an owl you are being asked to use your powers of keen, silent observation to intuit some life situation. Pay attention

Footslogger
11-12-2005, 14:45
According to Native American Medicine Cards the Owl is a sacred medicine bird.
Owl is a symbol for wisdom and sees what others cannot which is the essence of true wisdom. Most of humanity is afraid of the dark but the night is owls friend as it sees through and beyond things.
Owl people cannot easily be decieved
If you see or dream of an owl you are being asked to use your powers of keen, silent observation to intuit some life situation. Pay attention
=======================================
That sounds more like the owl aura I was feeling that day ...

'Slogger

PartnerShip
11-12-2005, 14:56
Too bad the Native American Medicine Cards are so big big and would add weight as it would be great to take them on the Hike and compare to the animals I encounter. I will just have to journal and look it up when I get done.

Just Jeff
11-12-2005, 14:59
You could probably find the same info online somewhere - just print it out on normal paper.

LacyK4
11-12-2005, 17:31
There is a book out called Animal Speak by Ted Andrews. A backpacking friend told me about the book since I am all into nature. I have had several encounters lately with "unusual" animals. ( a very persistant Bat and an armidillo) I felt like they were trying to tell me something. The book has alot of information about the habits of animals and legends and so forth...and what they could be trying to tell us...very interesting!

Husko
11-12-2005, 23:43

My step father's father owned a cattle slaughter house and my father owned his own as well. I remember visiting those places when I was young. "Factory line style" from the time they get the air powered nail to the head, 34 seconds later to have thier throughts cut while hanging upside down. You can actually see the head and body sort of squeeze up into itself as gallons of blood spill out in a big splash. One right after the other 24 hours a day non stop.

I can appreciate the idea of killing ones own food, In fact, I do it every deer season. What I can't appreciate is the sort of man that gets a cheap thrill out of boasting about a simple chicken heart to prove his communine with nature. But then I don't know you. :bse

justusryans
11-13-2005, 03:19
I can appreciate the idea of killing ones own food, In fact, I do it every deer season. What I can't appreciate is the sort of man that gets a cheap thrill out of boasting about a simple chicken heart to prove his communine with nature. But then I don't know you. :bse

LW is a little rough around the edges, but he's good people;)

Seeker
11-13-2005, 16:06
this is off the trail, but i enjoy feeding my avian brethren... my wife takes care of the seed feeders, but i do the hummingbird ones... we live in a migration haven, and this past october, i had as many as 30 birds at once in my yard... mostly ruby throated, but one 'roufus' (sp? the yellow ones in any case) pair as well... they are the friendliest little things... almost like chickadees... at one point i was going through 10 cups of nectar a day, in 3 feeders... i noticed they seemed really fearless when hungry (like when i accidentally let all three feeders run dry). so one day, i took a feeder in the palm of each hand, positioned so my fingers covered a lot of the perches, and at one point was holding a feeder and two hummers in each hand... they have the tiniest little feet... very moving to have them so close, trusting you... ok, maybe it was hunger, but still a very enjoyable experience... it's the middle of november now, and we only have one or two around. the rest have moved to mexico... but they'll be back in late february.

weary
11-13-2005, 19:00
this is off the trail, but i enjoy feeding my avian brethren... my wife takes care of the seed feeders, but i do the hummingbird ones... we live in a migration haven, and this past october, i had as many as 30 birds at once in my yard... mostly ruby throated, but one 'roufus' (sp? the yellow ones in any case) pair as well... they are the friendliest little things... almost like chickadees... at one point i was going through 10 cups of nectar a day, in 3 feeders... i noticed they seemed really fearless when hungry (like when i accidentally let all three feeders run dry). so one day, i took a feeder in the palm of each hand, positioned so my fingers covered a lot of the perches, and at one point was holding a feeder and two hummers in each hand... they have the tiniest little feet... very moving to have them so close, trusting you... ok, maybe it was hunger, but still a very enjoyable experience... it's the middle of november now, and we only have one or two around. the rest have moved to mexico... but they'll be back in late february.
Though some people think I played a role in the recovery of public land in Maine, the real hero was the attorney who had just come to Maine from Texas and was assigned to investigate my outrageous claim that Maine had 400,000 acres of public land that it had forgotten about for a century.

I took the attorney on a hike of the Mahoosucs and showed him how to get a gray jay to eat out of his hand. Nothing he had done seemed to impress him more. "I feel like Jesus Christ," he said, as the jay perched on his fingers and nibbled raisins and peanuts.

He never questioned my wisdom after that.

Weary