PDA

View Full Version : Danas Design Bridger Backpack

Hikingmaddie
04-28-2015, 20:51
hey guys, trying to build up my possible thru hiking supplies one step at a time and i came across this backpack on craigslist. Its hard to find many specs on it since I guess Danas Design closed down a few years ago, but it seems to be 66L and 4-5 lbs (ish??). It is the Bridger backpack. Any thoughts or experience with the pack? Or would i just be better off waiting for a good sale on a lighter/newer pack? thanks :)

Bati
04-28-2015, 21:18
hey guys, trying to build up my possible thru hiking supplies one step at a time and i came across this backpack on craigslist. Its hard to find many specs on it since I guess Danas Design closed down a few years ago, but it seems to be 66L and 4-5 lbs (ish??). It is the Bridger backpack. Any thoughts or experience with the pack? Or would i just be better off waiting for a good sale on a lighter/newer pack? thanks :)

I believe the bridger was a replacement to the yellowstone, a pack designed for "lighter" loads and probably very comfortable with 40 pounds in it, unlike many of the packs made for lighter weights. I loved my yellowstone, but eventually the cordura began to wear out (this required a lot of hard use to get to that point and notably the stitching was fine, it was the actual material that was dying). The bridger pack may have been marketed primarily to women; make sure the hipbelt is the correct size and gender as they changed the angle on them to accommodate different hip structure.
Your biggest problem buying one used will be if the hlpbelt or shoulder straps don't fit you. Ask about them and see if you can get ones that fit before you buy if they aren't right for you.

Hikingmaddie
04-28-2015, 21:42
Thanks for the input!

bigcranky
04-28-2015, 21:56
Your username suggests that you may be female? If so, I'd avoid the Bridger in particular, as it's unlikely to fit well. It's also quite old and many times you'll find the fabric delaminating and any elastic has lost its stretchiness. I finally gave away my old Gregory Shasta when these things happened.

Actually, most of this is true no matter your gender. :)

Hold out for a 50-60 liter pack that weighs less than 3 pounds. Buy one made for your gender and torso length. REI sells some nice light packs (http://www.rei.com/product/862882/rei-flash-62-pack), and they are often on sale for well under $150. The women's Flash is $125 right now (http://www.rei.com/product/863030/rei-flash-52-pack-womens-special-buy). These packs are suitable for a thru-hike for someone with fairly light gear -- a down sleeping bag or quilt, a light "tarptent" type shelter, etc. Which is what most long distance hikers end up carrying anyway.

Hikingmaddie
04-28-2015, 23:13
that sounds like good advice, hard to pass up "deals" (read: cheap items that make me do bad decisions) but ill definitely defer to the more experienced and hold off then, thanks!