PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Partners Needed In Wisconsin

naturlred
04-29-2015, 06:16
Hi,

Just curious to see if there are any new people looking to hike sections of WI? We live here and are stuck for the time being with what we have until later in life when we can relocate. We hike often and have been all over our state. Anyone care to join us?

naturalred.wordpress.com

Glacier
04-29-2015, 13:33
Stuck here?! What's not to like about wi :-?? You looking at the iat or just around wi in general?

naturlred
04-29-2015, 14:05
Well maybe that was a little harsh. As you know being so close to us, we have long winters with tons of snow and freezing temps. I am not a fan of anything that has to do with winter. So stuck here was the best way for me to explain my situation.
As for what I am looking at hiking, really anything.We have already done quite a bit of the IAT, most state parks, and some others that top our list like St Peter's Dome. I am seeking someone that is not glued to their television every weekend to watch the GB Packers(very hard to come by where we live). Since hiking is my passion, trying to make it home by noon on Sundays is not my idea of fun.
Young, old, male, female.....anyone that enjoys the outdoors is what I am seeking. Even if hiking is not your sport, we also whitewater kayak and standup paddle board during the hot months of summer. Give me a yell if your interested.

Glacier
04-29-2015, 16:46
Cool. I'll send u a friend request. I don't get to hike as much as I like anymore. Especially with a busy job and a toddler. But I try when I can. I'm always up for meeting people with a zest for the outdoors. Especially since my friends would rather sit inside and play video games.
Have you tried snowshoeing? Winter is my shoulder season...work is slower, parks and trails are less busy, and the views longer with less foliage on the trees. No ticks or mosquitos.

naturlred
04-29-2015, 20:19
I received your friends request but somehow lost the initial screen where I accept it. I am as big a fan of technology as I am the GB Packers(as you read above) haha. Let's do this if you dont mind....I have a blog located at naturalred.wordpress.com. On my "About" page is my email address. Contact me here and tell me a little about what you have hiked or done for fun in the WI area. We can compare notes and maybe meet up somewhere to hike.

And no worries, I am not a fan of video games, and love toddlers since I do daycare for a living:)

Cotton Terry
04-29-2015, 20:39
You might check out the Meetup Group in Milwaukee (Campers, Backpackers and Hikers). They have some good hikes coming up in the Wausau area as well as the Badlands, South Dakota and Porcupine National Forest (if I recall). They also do some snowshoeing, which breaks the winter doldrums.

I've done some sections of the IAT and plan to do more this summer, so would be interested in sharing the trail. Also, we could do a 'Meetup' and get some others from the Milwaukee Group to join us. They're a very diverse group and always welcoming.

OPI
05-03-2015, 08:45
I would love to check out some of the trail (Blue hills) in the western part of the state. I've been backpacking/hiking a lot of the prime sections. I did the Chippewa Moraine section a few weeks go and that's my favorite section so far. And the Jerry lake segment last weekend was real nice. The NCT is pretty awesome too.
There are some segments that are a little closer to GB that are on my day hike list or overnighter. Let me know when and where. I like putting on a lot of miles, if interested in that kind a of thing. Like 20 to 30 mpd. I don't have to though 8 to 15 is ok to :)
Oh and 2 words- Trap Hills

OPI
05-03-2015, 09:03
I know what you are saying when it comes to being stuck in WI. I'm counting down the years to move out a hear. Hiking is nice here but there is way to much to see out west and east and south and north. 8 more years- I'm out!

naturlred
05-03-2015, 19:19
Let us know what is on your list near Green Bay. I will let you know if we have done any of them and what our thoughts were.

I took a quick look at Trap Hills....and then added it to our list:) Thank You!

We are actually planning to hike the Chapel Loop in MI this fall. We are excited about this one! And again we are making a trip to the south for some canyon hiking .....very excited about this one!

As of now, I am currently recovering from an ankle injury so hiking is slow and not far. Soon I hope to be back up to my normal activity level.

You can read more here: naturalred.wordpress.com

naturlred
05-03-2015, 19:21
Ahhhh, someone from WI that knows what I am talking about. Not that WI is so bad, but there is just so MUCH BETTER out there.....south,east, and west.

I pray it does not take us 8 years.....we are hoping another 2 years....maybe!

OPI
05-04-2015, 13:22
We did Chapel loop hike 2 summers ago. Very pretty hike.

IAT to hike list:

Overnighter or more- Kettlbowl ski area to Veterans Memorial park ~14 miles- There a couple of rustic camping spots.
Blue Hills area? Rib Lake/Timms Hill? and western WI by St Croix area?

Day hikes- Kettlebowl segment, Ringle segment, Plover River, Pike lake/Holy Hill area, to name a few

I've completed a lot of the trail in the North and South Kettle Moraines, Chequamagon NF, Hartman Creek, Harrison Hills, Parish Hills, Chippewa Moraine

appompa255
08-14-2015, 11:05
We did Chapel loop hike 2 summers ago. Very pretty hike.

IAT to hike list:

Overnighter or more- Kettlbowl ski area to Veterans Memorial park ~14 miles- There a couple of rustic camping spots.
Blue Hills area? Rib Lake/Timms Hill? and western WI by St Croix area?

Day hikes- Kettlebowl segment, Ringle segment, Plover River, Pike lake/Holy Hill area, to name a few

I've completed a lot of the trail in the North and South Kettle Moraines, Chequamagon NF, Hartman Creek, Harrison Hills, Parish Hills, Chippewa Moraine

Question for you-My buddy and I want to start picking away at the IAT and usually only can get away for a day or two at a time (at least right now). The closest spot for us would be southern Wisconsin, but I'm not sure where to start/end and how we would even get back to our car unless we have someone drop us off. Any suggestions? I've hiked a few days on the AT and have done some relatively steep climbs in the past, I'm assuming souther Wisconsin isn't "that" hilly, relatively speaking. I'm guessing we'd be good for about 10+ miles a day.

Just Bill
08-14-2015, 11:11
Ah, you poor Wisconsin folks....:rolleyes:

You could be in the Chicago area, where we get all the winter but none of the trails...
Wisconsin is quite a pretty state overall... and you're that much closer to the UP if you want a change of pace!

Just Bill
08-14-2015, 11:14
Question for you-My buddy and I want to start picking away at the IAT and usually only can get away for a day or two at a time (at least right now). The closest spot for us would be southern Wisconsin, but I'm not sure where to start/end and how we would even get back to our car unless we have someone drop us off. Any suggestions? I've hiked a few days on the AT and have done some relatively steep climbs in the past, I'm assuming souther Wisconsin isn't "that" hilly, relatively speaking. I'm guessing we'd be good for about 10+ miles a day.

http://www.bikelib.org/maps-and-rides/route-guides/grand-illinois-trail/

You- and you bored WI folks- may consider chipping away at the Grand Illinois Trail- 500 miles long.

Lotta "dead" sections better spent on a bike to be honest, but NW Illinois has many similarities to Southern WI. The section of the trail along the Miss and most of the NW section of this trail is very nice- and hillier than you might expect.

OPI
08-15-2015, 08:11

If you don't already have one, buy an Ice Age Trail atlas http://www.iceagetrail.org/product/ice-age-trail-atlas/
All I do is pick a section that looks interesting maybe do a little web searching on that specific area and go.
All my hikes are mostly out and back with a few lolly pop loops mixed in. Which kinda sucks but that's what we got. Unless you do the 2 car thing.

As far as where to start. I would consider the southern trail sections (south of hwy 29) good for day hiking. Though there are overnight sites through out on the trail. The trail north of Hwy 29 gives you a more remote hike with many areas for backcountry camping.

Coming from IL - go check out the South Kettle Moraine State Forest. Very pretty area. It's hilly but nothing like the AT.
Other areas to check out- trails south of Madison and Devils Lake SP

appompa255
09-16-2015, 14:19
My friends and I will be hiking west bound from Lapham Peak starting early the morning of October 2 if anyone is interested in meeting up.

Different Socks
09-16-2015, 14:29
Grew up in WI, lived in Appleton b4 I moved out here to MT. Have done alot of IAT myself. Know what you mean by getting out and hiking instead of watching Packer games. Wish i was there to hike with you. Good luck finding others to go with. Have you tried the Porkies in UP or Superior Hiking Trail in Minn or even the North Country Scenic Trail?

appompa255
09-16-2015, 14:34
Opi, got the Atlas and databook. Huge help! Starting the trail this weekend. .....thanks!

OPI
09-16-2015, 15:26
Your welcome!
The next couple months is prime hiking around here. It's also the start of hunting season. Not a bad idea to wear an orange cap or vest. I'd hate to get an arrow in my ash. Not everyone has good eye sight.

appompa255
09-16-2015, 15:56
Your welcome!
The next couple months is prime hiking around here. It's also the start of hunting season. Not a bad idea to wear an orange cap or vest. I'd hate to get an arrow in my ash. Not everyone has good eye sight.

:p yeah it would be hard to hike with an arrow sticking out of me!

naturlred
09-17-2015, 10:23
We just finished the Chapel Loop and even though I was not too excited to give this a chance since we had just returned from Utah hiking, I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful this hike was. I would highly recommend this hike to anyone near the WI/MI border, its worth the drive.

Odd Man Out
09-17-2015, 11:16
Don't limit yourself to WI. The OP is in GB which is only 3 hrs from Pictured Rock NL. I did that last month. Awesome hike.