PDA

View Full Version : interesting article on cell phone plans

perrymk
04-30-2015, 06:57
Hopefully this isn't old news to everyone.

Secret Cell Plans: Savings Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint Don't Want You to Know About
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/secret-cell-plans-savings-verizon-atandt-t-mobile-and-sprint-dont-want-you-to-know-about/ar-BBiRLLD

As Verizon seems to be a popular recommendation on this site I'll relay a couple of pertinent quotes from the article:

"Example: As I’m writing this, this page of Verizon’s site says that a single-line plan that includes unlimited talk, text and 2 GB of data is $75 a month on a two-year contract. But go to Total Wireless, which uses Verizon’s network, and you’ll find a contract-free plan that includes 2.5 GB of data for just $35 a month"

"Total Wireless customers get 3G service while Verizon customers get much faster 4G. In addition, the $75 Verizon plan includes a phone."

burger
04-30-2015, 10:21
Yes, if you don't need a lot of data, these alternative plans are WAY cheaper. I'm about to switch to Cricket (as soon as I make it over to the store and pick up a sim card). Once my wife and I get on there, we will be saving something like $70 a month versus AT&T.

Also, no contract!

Deacon
04-30-2015, 10:51
I'll be interested to hear how well the reception is with the new company. I tried a trac phone and more often than not, no signal.

Skyline
04-30-2015, 11:32
These cheaper plans seem to work for people in large urban areas who don't use much data. For rural areas--including most of the AT--not the best idea.

Shutterbug
04-30-2015, 11:32
Hopefully this isn't old news to everyone.

Secret Cell Plans: Savings Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint Don't Want You to Know About
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/secret-cell-plans-savings-verizon-atandt-t-mobile-and-sprint-dont-want-you-to-know-about/ar-BBiRLLD

As Verizon seems to be a popular recommendation on this site I'll relay a couple of pertinent quotes from the article:

"Example: As I’m writing this, this page of Verizon’s site says that a single-line plan that includes unlimited talk, text and 2 GB of data is $75 a month on a two-year contract. But go to Total Wireless, which uses Verizon’s network, and you’ll find a contract-free plan that includes 2.5 GB of data for just $35 a month"

"Total Wireless customers get 3G service while Verizon customers get much faster 4G. In addition, the $75 Verizon plan includes a phone."

Those who want to check out all the low cost cell phone options should visit http://www.clarkhoward.com

bangorme
04-30-2015, 11:51
One tip about Maine. Verizon has the best coverage here. I'd like to change, but nothing else comes close. :(

illabelle
04-30-2015, 11:53
We have AT&T, which works just fine everywhere we go EXCEPT on the AT! Hey, AT&T, did you know there's a town - yes a town in NC where people actually live and work - called Hot Springs?

Everybody tells us that Verizon has good coverage on the trail, but Verizon has poor coverage at our house. I'm interested in a Verizon-network phone that we would use almost exclusively while on trail. Talk/text only - no data needed. I guess one of those prepaid deals would be right for us. I'll probably stop in a Verizon store one of these days and let their sales staff educate me.

burger
04-30-2015, 13:39
My understanding is that the discount plans use the exact same network as the big-name plans. So Cricket uses AT&T (and is actually owned by AT&T), Boost uses Sprint's network (and is owned by Sprint), etc. So the service should be the same for voice as the big names. Data for most is throttled to 3G speeds--that's the big difference.

If you do sign up and your service is bad, there's no contract! So, as long as you have an unlocked phone, you can try someone else.

perrymk
04-30-2015, 13:41
but Verizon has poor coverage at our house.
I went from 0-1 bars to 3-4 bars by installing an antenna in the attic plus a signal amplifier/booster. The key is to get an amplifier/booster and not just a repeater. Of course for this set up to work one has to have some signal to start with. It amplifies weak signal; it doesn't create signal out of nothing. This was more than 2 years ago and I spent around $250 as I recall but I was able to drop my landline so quickly recouped my investment.

CalebJ
04-30-2015, 13:42
There are a number of discount no contract providers that use Verizon's network. It's also worth mentioning that Verizon's own no contract plans are also significantly less than $75 per month. IIRC, the basic version is $45 for 2GB of data and unlimited calls/texts.

MuddyWaters
04-30-2015, 14:55
My understanding is that the discount plans use the exact same network as the big-name plans. So Cricket uses AT&T (and is actually owned by AT&T), Boost uses Sprint's network (and is owned by Sprint), etc. So the service should be the same for voice as the big names. Data for most is throttled to 3G speeds--that's the big difference.

If you do sign up and your service is bad, there's no contract! So, as long as you have an unlocked phone, you can try someone else.

The major carriers sell a portion of their excess capacity that they expect to go unused to discount providers. This is because they cant offer something that undercuts their own prices.

You dont get the level of customer service
You dont get priority for service either in high demand time/areas.

burger
04-30-2015, 15:47
The major carriers sell a portion of their excess capacity that they expect to go unused to discount providers. This is because they cant offer something that undercuts their own prices.

I've never seen anything suggesting that the other providers somehow get cut off when the networks are busy. This (https://ting.com/blog/do-mvnos-get-second-class-cell-service/) from one of the discount providers says that you're wrong.

If you want to overpay for "service," feel free. In all the years I have had a cell phone, I'm not sure I have ever called for customer support, so I don't really care. If the service is bad, then at the end of the month, I just switch providers! Who cares?

Starchild
04-30-2015, 16:19
I've never seen anything suggesting that the other providers somehow get cut off when the networks are busy. This (https://ting.com/blog/do-mvnos-get-second-class-cell-service/) from one of the discount providers says that you're wrong.

If you want to overpay for "service," feel free. In all the years I have had a cell phone, I'm not sure I have ever called for customer support, so I don't really care. If the service is bad, then at the end of the month, I just switch providers! Who cares?

I was told by a Verizon rep that their postpaid customers get priority over their prepaid and more towers are available (towers not owned by Verizon). She didn't go into the sub-branding issue. And who knows if it was true, she was trying to sell me on the post paid service.

Also for data, for the grandfathered unlimited data users that don't get LTE (due to device capability) Verizon will slow down the connection when the network is busy. Slowing down unlimited data customers who have LTE however would be illegal due to the frequency Verizon bought from the FCC which prohibits that (old TV network frequency).

So it does appear reasonable for a second class of service. However on the AT I would easially take Verizon second class over ATT first class.

Fredt4
05-01-2015, 00:26
Virgin Mobile is owned by Sprint. The difference is that Virgin Mobile customers only use Sprint towers and can't roam on Verizon. Same with the other Virtual Mobile Networks, it's about roaming, no roaming = lower costs and cheaper plans. Most users don't care about the costs and go for the brand, some need to roam, others are happy without roaming.

Lyle
05-01-2015, 09:05
I've used TracFone for over a decade now, in California, Nevada, Michigan, all along the AT up to Vermont, Kentucky, Ohio, all across Pennsylvania, and most places in between. The only place I didn't have service was driving through Ontario. Yes the mountains are spotty, just like with any cell phone, yes there are pockets in very rural areas where service is limited, but over all, every time I should reasonably expect service, I had it, as well as in some areas where I was shocked to have service.

TracFone uses both the ATT and Verizon networks, depending on which is most prevalent in your home area, but you can specify which you want, and override their suggestion when you buy your phone. Since they are so cheap, and you only pay for what you use, I've often considered getting one on each service to give maximum coverage, but have never really felt the need to take that step.

I have never heard anything about being placed on a lower priority that other phones during busy times until this thread. I don't buy it, nothing in my experience suggests that. Granted, data is 3G and very slow, but that's not what I have a cell phone for.

bamboo bob
05-01-2015, 16:17
AT&T gave me a thing called a Microcell, in Vermont. It made it so I get cell service all the time. I have it and the modem & router etc in the basement. It still works in most of the house fine. We don't get Verizon here.

Walkintom
05-01-2015, 16:27
AT&T gave me a thing called a Microcell, in Vermont. It made it so I get cell service all the time. I have it and the modem & router etc in the basement. It still works in most of the house fine. We don't get Verizon here.

That's what they call their network extender.

CarlZ993
05-01-2015, 17:58
These pay as you go plans can save you some money. I've been using them for years. But, you don't always get the same coverage as the contract plans over the same network. As I understand it, no roaming on other towers. I use Straight Talk (from Walmart; my phone uses the Verizon network). I hiked w/ a guy who had a Verizon contact phone. He always had better coverage on the AT than I did. I guess that's my trade-off for being cheap.

FYI - My wife also uses Straight Talk. Her phone uses the AT&T network. Hopefully, one of us will have coverage on our travels.

Bronk
05-02-2015, 09:45
I believe I read an article recently about a class action lawsuit against one of the big cell providers because the people who were using the unlimited prepaid services like Tracfone and others were getting ripped off...I believe it was the unlimited data that was the problem. People who used a lot of data found that once they reached a certain threshold each month the data slowed down...they found out that the cell provider was deliberately slowing down the data usage for people who used a lot of it...the court ruled that this was not "unlimited data." They ended up paying out some money.

But this is the kind of stuff they won't admit to when they are trying to sell you a phone or when you call customer service.

BirdBrain
05-02-2015, 11:18
I believe I read an article recently about a class action lawsuit against one of the big cell providers because the people who were using the unlimited prepaid services like Tracfone and others were getting ripped off...I believe it was the unlimited data that was the problem. People who used a lot of data found that once they reached a certain threshold each month the data slowed down...they found out that the cell provider was deliberately slowing down the data usage for people who used a lot of it...the court ruled that this was not "unlimited data." They ended up paying out some money.

But this is the kind of stuff they won't admit to when they are trying to sell you a phone or when you call customer service.

That was StraightTalk. I have StraightTalk. The language was vague. It stated in the agreement that the usage was unlimited, but the service would be throttled if people used their phone to dongle or continuously stream. It was common sense language. Unfortunately, we do not live in the land of common sense. StraightTalk lost in court. StraightTalk sent me a notice saying I was entitled to a refund. The lawsuit was frivolous. I refused the refund.

mudsocks
05-02-2015, 21:04
One tip about Maine. Verizon has the best coverage here. I'd like to change, but nothing else comes close. :(

Look at page plus cellular. I brought my 4G Verizon phone with me. Page plus uses Verizon's network so coverage does not change. Same service, smaller bill.

texas&fla
05-02-2015, 21:28
Consumer cellular is also one of the no contract companies. They use the ATT towers. I saved almost 35% of m bill and get better terms. Plus, you can change your option whenever.