PDA

View Full Version : Another Cozy

BirdBrain
05-01-2015, 11:18
I have been using the standard reflectix cozy that so many people make for freezer bag cooking. It works great, but weighs 44.7 grams. I was pondering my gear last night and my mind settled on the sit pad that Kaboose (MaineBob) came up with. It is just a square of a Dollar Store window shade made of mylar and foam. My 1st square has lasted me 2 states. This thing is surprisingly tough. I have not been super careful with it. It dawned on me that this material might be suitable for a freezer bag cozy. The version of window shade that I use is the cheap one. It only has mylar on one side.

I cut 2 strips out of a new window shade @ 8.5" x 35" to build 2 new cozies. With the foam side up, I sprayed half of each strip with spray adhesive and folded them to create 2 strips @ 8.5" x 17.5". With the joined ends at the top, I folded the glued strip from the bottom toward the top 7.75". I joined the edges with 7.75" x 1" aluminum tape. Lastly, I trimmed the flap to 2" and trimmed the edges to smooth up the irregularities from the imperfect fold and glue process.

Next, I tested one. I boiled 2 cups of water and poured as much as I could into a pint sized freezer bag (the standard quart size that most use is overkill). I removed as much air as I could without burning myself and slid the ziplock into the new cozy. I placed the cozy in a refrigerator and waited 30 minutes. When I removed the cozy, the water was still too hot to touch.

Here is what it looks like. It was hard to get a picture, so I put a cup on the scale and zeroed it and then took this picture with the cozy on the cup. Sorry for the picture quality. My phone takes crappy pictures.

Walkintom
05-01-2015, 13:27
This sounds like the cozy I made from probably the same type of cheap window shade. Mine has a couple of thousand miles on it by now and is holding up fine. Mine's going to be heavier than yours by far though because I cut it as an actual pot cozy and the amount of aluminum tape I used was greater to reinforce the bottom seam and the cutout slit down the side for the pot handle.

Most of the time I wind up putting my freezer bag in instead of my pot so I might make a new one in this style.

Nice job.

perrymk
05-02-2015, 21:11
Here is one I made a while back but haven't actually used yet. It weights about 1.6 oz. Fits my Jet Boil Sol Ti and a 1 quart freezer bag.

Demeter
05-13-2015, 05:57
This is my cozy. It has a gusseted bottom so stands-up. Lots of duct tape for emergencies :) weighs between 1.5 and 3 ounces depending on how big you make it.

http://youtu.be/oKOFv85p6qM