PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal on 2 lb Pack? 40 Degree Underquilt? Because this load is too much!

chrislrob
05-02-2015, 01:11
[I just bought an REI Flash 45 for $90 on clearance. Pack no longer needed!] I've finally accepted that, though I love my Aether 70, it is too much bag for my 2-3 day, 3-season trips. I've got to get lighter. Been looking at lighter packs, in the 45 liter range, including the GoLite 50, REI Flash 45, and Osprey Hornet. Would consider others. Suggestions? I need a size large.

I'm also a hammock camper. Looking for an underquilt. Seriously considering the Shamu or QuikHang--was going to try to do a 3/4 length Jarbridge, but I need full-length. Good to about 40 degrees.

Finances have made me reluctant, but I am losing the joy of backpacking carrying these 35-40 pound loads! I've come to realize that big packs attract heavy bulky gear. I've finally weighed everything and already see where to cut pounds in other gear without spending a dime. It was amazing!

So now, I need to do something about this pack and the Thermarest that I bought on this site that I really like. I'm tired of fiddling with the pad in my hammock. Getting me an underquilt!

Someone rummage around in your gear closet and sell me something! Please! :D

12trysomething
05-02-2015, 06:31
I've finally accepted that, though I love my Aether 70, it is too much bag for my 2-3 day, 3-season trips. I've got to get lighter. Been looking at lighter packs, in the 45 liter range, including the GoLite 50, REI Flash 45, and Osprey Hornet. Would consider others. Suggestions? I need a size large.

I'm also a hammock camper. Looking for an underquilt. Seriously considering the Shamu or the Jarbridge, something good to about 40 degrees.

Finances have made me reluctant, but I am losing the joy of backpacking carrying these 35-40 pound loads! I've come to realize that big packs attract heavy bulky gear. I've finally weighed everything and already see where to cut pounds in other gear without spending a dime. It was amazing!

So now, I need to do something about this pack and the Thermarest that I bought on this site that I really like. I'm tired of fiddling with the pad in my hammock. Getting me an underquilt!

Someone rummage around in your gear closet and sell me something! Please! :D

I would watch Hammock Forums for your UQ.

bigcranky
05-02-2015, 06:51
Lots of good packs in the 2.5 pound range with a decent frame. The Flash 45 is good, and often on sale or with an REI member coupon it's a good value.

I got my underquilt from Jacks r Better on their holiday sale a couple of years ago. Nice 40F quilt which works both in my hammock and on the ground. Pretty sure it was under $200. The Shenandoah, I think.

chrislrob
05-02-2015, 09:14
Thanks, y'all. I am watching Hammockforums. But one guy has "bumped" a post for wanting to buya Jarbridge for about two months! And I'm STILL wondering if, at 6'1", 260, I wouldn't be better off with a full-length UQ. I am really trying to get out of the "fiddly" business!

Truthfully, a pretty ugly black Flash 45 with lime green piping is on sale at REI-outlet for $90. Just that color. But, like I said, really ugly. And I am being hit with unexpected costs left and right--a $600 car repair on Wednesday, for example--and am feeling the need to bargain hunt.

I don't have a need to buy this instant. No immediate trip planned.

tiptoe
05-02-2015, 09:59
I'd say be patient, and watch for sales, especially on the pack. By July you should have many options.

saltysack
05-02-2015, 10:12
JRB had a 45 deg quilt that had minor flaws for $100...I love my JRB quilt...check out Ula ohm or circuit love mine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrislrob
05-02-2015, 10:53
saltysack, I don't see that...any idea where I would look on their site? What kind? Thanks. Becoming convinced I'll be happier in a full-length...

Offshore
05-02-2015, 11:00
Thanks, y'all. I am watching Hammockforums. But one guy has "bumped" a post for wanting to buya Jarbridge for about two months! And I'm STILL wondering if, at 6'1", 260, I wouldn't be better off with a full-length UQ. I am really trying to get out of the "fiddly" business!

Truthfully, a pretty ugly black Flash 45 with lime green piping is on sale at REI-outlet for $90. Just that color. But, like I said, really ugly. And I am being hit with unexpected costs left and right--a $600 car repair on Wednesday, for example--and am feeling the need to bargain hunt.

I don't have a need to buy this instant. No immediate trip planned.

Its really not all that bad in person. The green does contrast pretty sharply with the black, but there's not a lot of it. The current model is mostly a weird parrot green - now that's pretty fugly. I can't really see any difference in the specs from the outlet version to the current one. It gets great reviews and for $89 shipped, its a great deal. Besides, you have a 30 day return (REI outlet). You may have to wait til the end of the current season to catch another deal.

chrislrob
05-02-2015, 11:30
You know what, Offshore. You convinced me. Just bought it from REI! Actually spenst several hours already musing on this. And for what? To save $25? Maybe. Eventually. I just cut 2 lbs. 11oz from my Big 3 for less than $100. I'll take it! Especially since you've assured me that it is not as ugly as I feared! Thanks a lot!

Offshore
05-02-2015, 12:45
You know what, Offshore. You convinced me. Just bought it from REI! Actually spenst several hours already musing on this. And for what? To save $25? Maybe. Eventually. I just cut 2 lbs. 11oz from my Big 3 for less than $100. I'll take it! Especially since you've assured me that it is not as ugly as I feared! Thanks a lot!

Enjoy it - I think the green looks good on the black. Don't be afraid of color - its not overwhelming. Even if you don't like it, just remember - you'll not be the one looking at it when you're using it! (the very reason I weigh interiors more than exteriors when buying cars...) That Flash 45 is too good of a deal to at least not try.

chrislrob
05-02-2015, 20:02
I like the way you think! I think... LOL!

linus72
05-02-2015, 21:18
on my second season with my flash 45, love it!

saltysack
05-02-2015, 23:43
saltysack, I don't see that...any idea where I would look on their site? What kind? Thanks. Becoming convinced I'll be happier in a full-length...

Call on phone..not published...I was going to buy one last winter to cut into small bag for my pup but ended up using a $20 down vest from Costco...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill B
05-04-2015, 09:41
Someone also posted here on Buying Used Gear that they were looking for an Aether 70... maybe you can pass yours along!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/110017-Used-Gear-Search

chrislrob
05-07-2015, 14:50
Bill, I saw that! But my wife bought mine for me to show support for my hiking. I can't let it go!

Dochartaigh
05-07-2015, 16:39
I'm STILL wondering if, at 6'1", 260, I wouldn't be better off with a full-length UQ. I am really trying to get out of the "fiddly" business!

I've found that a 3/4 length underquilt with CCF pad is great to use if you have a double layer hammock. That combo is horrible to use if you have a single layer hammock and can't slip the CCF pad between the layers of the hammock (just like keeping a sleeping mat in place you'll have even more problems keeping the CCF pad in place by your feet in a hammock).

I would also see if you can actually fit all of your hammock stuff in a 45 liter pack. Granted I'm only using the large main compartment of my 2 different 60+ liter packs (Zpacks Arc Blast and Osprey Exos) but I can just barely squeeze everything inside the main compartment – and that's with a 9.5 pound base weight and only 2 days worth of food (and all lightweight/compressible down insulation).

chrislrob
05-07-2015, 21:51
Trying to make me nervous? LOL! I ordered the REI Flash 45. Luckily, I ordered the large, and it is 50 liters. Hopefully, that will work. By the gods, if it all doesn't fit, I'll carry less all! I go on long weekend trips, max. If I go longer, I have my Osprey Aether.

chrislrob
05-08-2015, 18:28
Mods, this post can be closed. Pack bought.