PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP - Birch Spring Campsite Closed

magician
05-02-2015, 17:20
I just arrived in Fontana today, and on the ride in from the dam to the Lodge I was told that a bear had riped open the tent of two hikers and stole their backpacks. I just got off the phone with a ranger at the GSMNP HQ who confirmed bear activity at the site and that the site would likely be closed for a while.

map man
05-02-2015, 18:26
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to be hiking through there in a couple weeks.

Starchild
05-02-2015, 18:37
I just arrived in Fontana today, and on the ride in from the dam to the Lodge I was told that a bear had riped open the tent of two hikers and stole their backpacks. I just got off the phone with a ranger at the GSMNP HQ who confirmed bear activity at the site and that the site would likely be closed for a while.
Happens often at Birch Springs, and periodically at the AT shelters.

bangorme
05-02-2015, 19:44

Wonder if they hung their food?

HooKooDooKu
05-02-2015, 22:19
From A Walk in the Woods Facebook page
https://m.facebook.com/walkinwoods

Today, between shuttles in Fontana Dam, our driver overheard some long distance hikers talking about campsite 113. They said that they had eaten away from their tent but left their backpacks leaning up against the tents. Even though there was a clear bear warning sign. When they finished eating, they went back to their tent and their tent had been torn apart and a bear had stolen the backpacks with everything in it, wallet, car keys, etc. Today the Park closed the site. In the Smokies, it is very convenient to hang an entire pack. We highly recommend doing so for this very reason. A bear can smell 7 times better than a hound dog and even if food has not directly touched a backpack, the smells linger. Those people were lucky. The bear sadly may not be so much due to their's and previous camper's neglect.

Hangfire
05-03-2015, 13:48
I know I stopped through this place but don't remember if they have cables or not? Maybe even a bear box?

MuddyWaters
05-03-2015, 14:12
A bear will take a pack, just because they are conditioned to know they contain food. No mention of whether the packs had food, my guess is yes.

You dont leave your pack out of your sight, ever.

HooKooDooKu
05-03-2015, 14:35
All campsite and shelters in GSMNP have bear cables or a bear pole for hanging your food or whole pack. There is no excuse for hikers to leave food where bears can access it.

Starchild
05-03-2015, 16:11
All campsite and shelters in GSMNP have bear cables or a bear pole for hanging your food or whole pack. There is no excuse for hikers to leave food where bears can access it.
Any info on what is more effective, cables or poles?

TNhiker
05-03-2015, 16:48

They are both pretty much equally effective...

the idea is too just get food off ground...

and I believe only one campsite still has the pole system and that's campsite 47..

the site also has cables although they are strung using the bridge...

HooKooDooKu
05-03-2015, 21:21
Campsite 47 is snuggled up between a river and a rock face. There's just no trees properly located to put normal bear cables up at this relatively small campsite. So they have a bear pole and a very unusual (for GSMNP) half set of bear cables on the side of the bridge that crosses the river and brings you into the campsite
. I have not seen EVERY campsite in GSMNP yet, but from what I understand, this odd setup I've seen at 47 is unique in the park. All the rest of the campsites and shelters use basic cables strung between two trees.

TNhiker
05-03-2015, 21:28
I have not seen EVERY campsite in GSMNP yet, but from what I understand, this odd setup I've seen at 47 is unique in the park. All the rest of the campsites and shelters use basic cables strung between two trees.

that is correct...............

although, some of the boat in island sites didnt have cables............off the top of my head, i cant remember which ones but there were a couple without cables and a couple of the island campsites did have cables.............

MuddyWaters
05-06-2015, 21:43

cables arent always effective. They can be if you bring a carabiner and clip your pack to the hook.

Some bears in GSMNP have learned how to bounce cables till packs fall off, some cables also have the broken retainers on the swivel-eye clip at the bottom. I had to duct-tape one there.

TNhiker
05-06-2015, 22:35
cables arent always effective. They can be if you bring a carabiner and clip your pack to the hook.

Some bears in GSMNP have learned how to bounce cables till packs fall off, some cables also have the broken retainers on the swivel-eye clip at the bottom. I had to duct-tape one there.

yeah.....ive been telling people for years that they need to do a redundant system with the carabiner............

and that's not 100% effective as well, as not only have mice and other vermin, but bears as well have figured out how to do the tight walk on the wires............

some cables also have the broken retainers on the swivel-eye clip at the bottom.

also, some people have hooked the cables in reverse adding to the damage............

MuddyWaters
05-06-2015, 22:52
also, some people have hooked the cables in reverse adding to the damage............

Yeah, that would be...........not very secure.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-06-2015, 23:12
They are both pretty much equally effective...

the idea is too just get food off ground...

and I believe only one campsite still has the pole system and that's campsite 47..

the site also has cables although they are strung using the bridge...

Pole at 47 with a litle suprise at the top.
Is that a piņata?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4098/4943429789_e3eed113c4_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/8wQns6)47hornet (https://flic.kr/p/8wQns6) by ALN42701 (https://www.flickr.com/people/53370402@N07/), on Flickr

TNhiker
05-06-2015, 23:40
Whoa.....

and ya know someone whack it....

when was the picture taken?

gollwoods
05-07-2015, 01:21
Fire it up. Run

aaronthebugbuffet
05-07-2015, 02:56
Whoa.....

and ya know someone whack it....

when was the picture taken?
August 2010

WingedMonkey
05-07-2015, 09:24
The only "Bear Closures" shown on the parks notices is Backcountry Campsite 113.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

TNhiker
05-07-2015, 10:01
its way early in the season and expect more closures to come.............

wornoutboots
05-07-2015, 10:48
#113 is the Birch Spring site