PDA

View Full Version : State of the AT in New Hampshire

magneto
05-03-2015, 07:53
Alas this was my year to thru-hike, but life got in the way...

I took a walk in the woods north of Lonesome Lake a couple of weeks ago and this is what I saw.

Hopefully it will all be gone by the time you thru hikers arrive!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/2d26794222032a81e7f65b58c269549d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illabelle
05-03-2015, 13:18
Wow, from the white blaze on that tree, that's gotta be some deep snow!
This year seems weird weather-wise. It's 80° and I'm planting corn and okra today - but my azaleas are still blooming, only slightly past their prime.
Did a little hiking in the Smokies yesterday, and it was pretty warm.

egilbe
05-03-2015, 15:23
Alas this was my year to thru-hike, but life got in the way...

I took a walk in the woods north of Lonesome Lake a couple of weeks ago and this is what I saw.

Hopefully it will all be gone by the time you thru hikers arrive!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/2d26794222032a81e7f65b58c269549d.jpg

It will be melted by the time the hikers arrive, no worries there. Got a hike scheduled for next weekend on the Grafton Notch Loop Trail. May be some postholing on Old Speck. I hiked up to the top Bald Mountain from RT26 yesterday, and there was still snow melting on the North side. With the temps in the 60's and 70's this week, I don't expect it to last long. That pic reminds me of the pic I took of my GF standing next to a blaze the weekend of March 20th. The blazes on Old Speck were at her knees :D

magneto
05-03-2015, 17:28
Well - as a "consolation prize" for not thru-hiking, I'm going to head up to Monson and hike south as far as I can, starting June 15 and going into mid-July. I did the section from Katadin Bxter Peak to Monson last fall and fell in love with long-distance hiking.

peakbagger
05-03-2015, 20:57
51" inches at Gray Knob just below treeline on Mt Adams.I expect there are some real deep spots in the great gulf.

egilbe
05-04-2015, 06:44
Well - as a "consolation prize" for not thru-hiking, I'm going to head up to Monson and hike south as far as I can, starting June 15 and going into mid-July. I did the section from Katadin Bxter Peak to Monson last fall and fell in love with long-distance hiking.

oohhh...Black Fly season. Wear a bug suit

LoneStranger
05-04-2015, 09:10
Spent the weekend trying to hit Hancock from the Pemi side and started running into patchy snow around 2500'. By 3k it was mostly snow, but mushy and falling apart in the warm weather. One skier had used the trail all season so it was pretty much unbroken other than bear tracks. Occasional postholing beyond the knees, even with snowshoes, combined with massive runoff made me turn back before I reached the herdpath from the other side.

Definitely still a good idea to take spikes for a while if you are headed up. Protected sections can harbor ice for quite a while after the snow goes.