PDA

View Full Version : Steripen

2009ThruHiker
11-10-2005, 17:18
HAS anyone used this device or one similiar and did it last your entire thru hike???

Marta
11-10-2005, 17:44
I have never used one myself, but I hiked with a partner last winter who had one with him. It failed to function properly during our hike. I had Aqua Mira with me and I was always ready to drink way before he was. The SteriPen is a cool idea but...not ready for prime time, I think.

Ender
11-10-2005, 17:45
HAS anyone used this device or one similiar and did it last your entire thru hike???

Hiked with a guy on the PCT who had started with one. By day three it had ***** the bed. Good idea, bad execution.

Blister
11-10-2005, 18:38
I hiked with a guy that used one for a couple of months on the CDT this year. He didn't have any trouble using it and I borrowed it on various occasions not wanting to wait until my aqua pure took effect. I can say that you must follow a very particular way in using the steripen. Any variance in the usage it will not work. I myself liked it enough to consider buying one. Although I havn't purchased it yet, I am strongly considering it for next year.

frieden
11-10-2005, 19:59
I haven't used one, but it uses the same technology as my Ionic Breeze air cleaners, with germ killing light. If you read the small print, the light will shine blue, even when the germ killing ability is long gone. There is no way to tell, so they suggest you change out the bulb on a schedule. Who's to say the new bulb works? I was going to get a SteriPen, but I don't want to take chances with my water, and get sick on the trail. I'm going the filter and/or Aqua Mira route, too.

justusryans
11-10-2005, 20:42
I use a SteriPen. Havn't had any problems with it. Works great. The bulb lasts about 7000 used but you change it out after 5000. A little red light comes on when its time to change it. The only issue with it are the type of batteries you use. I suspect the problems posted earlier were the batteries went dead. Regular Alkaline batteries don't last more than 10- 12 uses. You need to use lithium or NImH rechargables. They last over 120 uses.

Blister
11-12-2005, 14:38
On a comical note, when you purchase the product and read the instruction, there is a warning not to insert the item into any bodily orifaces (sp?)

CynJ
11-12-2005, 14:53
On a comical note, when you purchase the product and read the instruction, there is a warning not to insert the item into any bodily orifaces (sp?)

:eek:

you know that some Darwin Award candidate musta tried this :datz