PDA

View Full Version : Will this tent hold up for the AT?

voltairian
05-03-2015, 10:05
Hey guys

I've been doing a lot of reading regarding recommended gear for the AT, but almost all of it is only available in the US. Since I'm a European, I've had to find something which is available here, but I wanted your input on things before I pull the trigger. Here's what I had in mind:

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/zephyros-2-lite-tent/

It's pretty lightweight (nowhere near Zpacks standard though), 3-season, and affordable. In other words it seems a little too good to be true and I wanted some expert input.

Thanks!

MuddyWaters
05-03-2015, 10:17
Almost any tent will work. Especially since you can stay in shelters and not use it if its raining. Terra nova makes good gear. Europe has top notch tent makers who know how to make tents for bad weather. American tents are mostly a joke when it comes to bad weather.

The fly should always pitch first and clip the inner inside for pitching in bad weather.

swjohnsey
05-03-2015, 11:26
American light weight gear makers are light years ahead of the Europeans and this includes tents. You could wait 'til you get to Mountain Crossing, about three days down the trail to pick up a good tent.

voltairian
05-03-2015, 12:09
Almost any tent will work. Especially since you can stay in shelters and not use it if its raining. Terra nova makes good gear. Europe has top notch tent makers who know how to make tents for bad weather. American tents are mostly a joke when it comes to bad weather.

The fly should always pitch first and clip the inner inside for pitching in bad weather.

Knowing my usually asocial self I'll probably opt for tent over shelter as much as I can, provided the weather isn't absolutely abysmal. Are there any particular tent makers in Europe you would recommend?

You could wait 'til you get to Mountain Crossing, about three days down the trail to pick up a good tent.

This is a good idea. May very well end up doing this.

4eyedbuzzard
05-03-2015, 14:10
You could probably buy all the gear needed for a thru-hike in a couple of outdoor stores after getting to Atlanta area. Or buy online from cottage industries for some stuff and have it shipped and held at a hotel/hostel. Not recommending that approach, but it certainly is doable.

Franco
05-03-2015, 23:02
Voltarian,
there is a very long thread about those tents at Outdoor Magic , the British hillwalking* forum.
(could not resist using the term...)

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/zephyros-owners-thread/46381.html

666 posts , so set aside all night for that.

voltairian
05-04-2015, 05:40
Voltarian,
there is a very long thread about those tents at Outdoor Magic , the British hillwalking* forum.
(could not resist using the term...)

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/zephyros-owners-thread/46381.html

666 posts , so set aside all night for that.

Oh wow, looks like I have my reading for the day sorted then. Thanks for the link.

Venchka
05-04-2015, 22:14
Outdoor Gear Lab tested the tent in a large group of similar backpacking tents. An Internet search will find the full report.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

wornoutboots
05-06-2015, 08:29
Can you buy an American tent on line & have it shipped to you or shipped to a PO or hostel near your starting point?

pauly_j
05-06-2015, 08:59
Having a Tarptent delivered from the US will be close to that price.

RED-DOG
05-06-2015, 09:02
wait till you get to the U.S before you buy gear it would be easier to get through customs and baggage check but yeah that tent would be good for a thru-hike.