PDA

View Full Version : Running Shorts Recommendations

Studlintsean
05-03-2015, 20:58
I currently use Champion running shorts from Target (after I cut the liner out) and I like the feel and ability to dry quick but damn do they stink. For some reason they seem to stink worse than any other running shorts (mesh) I have ever worn after 1 day. I am looking for recommendations for a not too expensive (<$50) pair of running shorts. I would like 7 inch seam and pockets in the front if possible. Anyone have any suggestions or a pair they prefer? I will be wearing these for a quick weekend trip in May and a 5 day hike in June so they will inevitably stink but I am looking to minimize that if possible.

Thanks in advance.

fastfoxengineering
05-04-2015, 11:49
Icebreaker and smartwool have lightweight merino wool running shorts. I've never owned either due to the $50 price tag but I'm sure they're amazing. I typically hike in nike nylon running shorts that I get on clearance for like $10. I like them cause they dry very fast. The hiker funk is just something i'm used too. I use exofficio give-n-go's underneath them.

I looked it up and it seems champion running forts at target (c9 gear) is 100% polyester.

I think most will agree polyester holds more stink than nylon. So I would just try to find a cheap pair of running shorts made of nylon. I find my nike one's on clearance at kohl's if you have them in Virginia.

When it comes the stink...

merino wool > nylon > poly

best of luck

Studlintsean
05-04-2015, 13:41
Thanks fastfoxengineering. Good point on the smelliness of the fabrics. I should have thoguht of that (but didnt). I checked my local TJ Maxx and may checkout Kohls this week. I was also thinking about checking out the Running Store down the street but I am pretty sure the prices will be inflated.

Walkintom
05-04-2015, 13:53
Thanks fastfoxengineering. Good point on the smelliness of the fabrics. I should have thoguht of that (but didnt). I checked my local TJ Maxx and may checkout Kohls this week. I was also thinking about checking out the Running Store down the street but I am pretty sure the prices will be inflated.

If you find products you like, look up the MSRP on the manufacturer's website. The MSRP is often plenty high enough but I take that as a good measure for what to never pay above.

Seasonal clearance sales are a great way to find these things at 30-50% off once you know what you want to find.

The Kisco Kid
05-04-2015, 14:32
North Face makes good shorts. Try the Agility.

CalebJ
05-04-2015, 15:40
I've used a couple of pair of Brooks Essential shorts (5") hiking and running, they've worked very well for me. You might give their Rogue Runner III shorts a chance - 7" inseam and you can get them for $35 MSRP, or about $21/pair at STP with a coupon.

gbolt
05-04-2015, 18:08
I waited to save $10 but finally got a pair of Under Armour UA 10 inch Running Shorts from either an Outlet Store or Dick's Sporting Goods. Cost was $19.99. Like you I cut out the liner because I like Under armour Exofficio Boxers when hiking. The shorts do have pockets of mesh (although I don't need or use them). They weight 4.75 0z / 135g. They could be used for swimming as well and they dry quick.

Just Bill
05-04-2015, 18:37
I've had good luck with New Balance.

Studlintsean
05-05-2015, 08:05
Thanks again for the recommendations. I'll do some research today.

grizzlyadam
05-05-2015, 08:38
I've been using the 6" Fleet short from REI since 2012. Really like them. Front pockets and a zippered lumbar pocket. http://bit.ly/1JnYFIo