PDA

View Full Version : MSR MIOX Water Purifier

2009ThruHiker
11-10-2005, 18:42
Anyone had experience with this Purifier? Did it last an entire thru-hike?

Hikes in Rain
11-10-2005, 19:26
I'd be interested to know, as well. Just received one as a gift, and I'm curious to see if I can leave the water filter behind. I do note that particulants and such won't get removed. More of a sterilizer than a purifier, but with good choice of source, it should work.

rmtjr
11-10-2005, 22:42
My experience is limited to 12 days:8 on the AT, 3 in Arkansas and one around town. The MIOX was probably the most "gee whiz" item on the trails. The brine solution foams when you zap the electricity to it and that wows the crowd. Read the instructions! The salt has to be wet. I found that the first time I used it each day it was safest to add water directly to the salt in the cap and rotate the salt and water for about 15 seconds. You risk getting an "add water" reading or something similar because the system has not detected sufficiently wet salt. I reversed the batteries in my MIOX each day in hopes of lenghtening battery life. I left the test strips home by mistake on the AT 8 days, but just upped the amount to be purified a notch in hopes of making sure all the little creepies were done for, e.g., I set the purifier for 3 L if I was purifying 2 L. I lived to tell about it. It is a neat system. I do not know what happens when the batteries begin to die. I carried a spare pair. Salt consuption was much lower than I anticipated. I probably didn't use 4 grains a day if that much.

Bassline
11-10-2005, 23:17
I hiked with 2 girls who had one. I am 90% positive that it lasted them the entire trip. I think it is better than Aqua-Mira by a landslide. I wish I had bought one of those in the first place.

gravityman
11-11-2005, 11:38
We had one and it lasted our whole hike. I have to say that by the 2/3rd mark we were sick of the taste of the treatment, but I think that is because we are especially picky. It was certainly the lightest, easiest and best water treatment method we've used (filters, iodine, aquamira). I think we went through 3-4 sets of batteries the whole way, treating water for 2 people every day for 6 months. We weren't shy about using it either... We treated a lot of water.

Gravity

eldwayno
11-15-2005, 23:54
Definately overrated... my friend QuietGuy (class of 2004)... his was so pissy.... I much prefered the easier less hassle aqua mira... however nothing beats a nice fresh pure spring