PDA

View Full Version : Flip flop 2016!

semicolon
05-04-2015, 13:01
Greetings from the trail! I thought I'd reach out to you all who are planning your 2016 hike. I am only five days into my flip-flop and have enjoyed every moment of it so far. Although, my wife says I'm still in the honeymoon phase. Maybe so, but the weather has been perfect and the terrain has been a good way to ease into my trail legs. I encourage all of you who were considering a thru hike in 2016 to take a look at the flip-flop itinerary.
And if you're interested in following my journey on Facebook here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Travels-with-Tejas/879290288793997
Happy trails,
-Tejas.

brewyet
05-05-2015, 14:42
So what is the best way to Harpers Ferry? I see it has a train stop but what city should I be looking at for greyhound or airplanes?

I need a way to Harpers Ferry and a way from Katahdin to Harpers Ferry.

I plan on being on my own, so I will not have someone dropping me off and I will have to find my own ride from Katahdin.

Team Pancho
05-05-2015, 19:18
Any crowd to speak of? Im planning on a flip next year to avoid all of the hoopla.

Lauriep
05-06-2015, 06:25
Tejas,

Great to see this new thread (and great to meet you in Harpers Ferry)! Glad you are enjoying yourself. I'm going back and re-reading the posts now that I know most of the people--it makes me want to be out there with you guys and gals so much!!

Yesterday I took a walk in Maryland, and ran into 3 of the flip-floppers from the kick off. They had intentionally been keeping their mileage low to start, and seemed really relaxed and happy.

Laurie P.
ATC

Lauriep
05-06-2015, 06:54
Brewyet,

Train is the simplest way to get to Harpers Ferry. If you want to fly, Reagan airport is usually the cheapest when you calculate the total cost of getting to Harpers Ferry of the 3 airports in the vicinity. From Reagan, you can take the DC subway (Metrorail) to Union station, and at Union Station pick up a MARC commuter train (3 or 4 in the evening on weekdays), 1 Amtrak 7 days a week.

The closest airport is Dulles (40 miles away). There are shuttle services (by arrangement, not regularly scheduled) that can take you directly to Harpers Ferry, but that will likely be more than $100.

The closest bus station is Frederick, Maryland, 20 miles away; no public transportation to connect.

I wouldn't worry too much about the return trip to Harpers Ferry, but below is some info.

Btw, you don't mention that friends or family meeting you is an option, but I'll be proactive here for others who are reading this:

I wouldn't encourage family to meet you in Baxter and climb Katahdin. Baxter State Park has asked us to relay this to thru-hikers. It's really difficult to get a parking space/camping reservation in this ultra-high demand spot at the last minute. It's extremely tasking and time-consuming for rangers to try to accommodate family members at the last minute who don't have reservations, but the catch is, the hiker usually can't pinpoint exactly when he or she is going to finish so you can't really make reservations. Like every state park, Baxter has limited financial resources, and the demands of the increasing number of A.T. hikers (and their families) is really stressing Baxter. Second, your family member had better be in great shape if they are going to climb Katahdin: it's a 10-mile hike with a 4,000-foot climb defined by boulder-scrambling: strength, stamina and agility are essential. Also difficult for those with fear of heights.

Here's the transportation rundown from Baxter in Maine to Harpers Fery

Baxter to Millinocket, ME
Every day, there are many people leaving Baxter and heading out the same way you are. You should be able to find a ride to the town of Millinocket outside Baxter State Park without actually hitching. Millinocket is where almost all hikers spend the first night after climbing Katahdin.

Spend the night in Millinocket, ME
The A.T. Lodge is run by A.T. 2,000-milers and caters to A.T. hikers; there are also several motels available

Millinocket to Medway, ME (10 miles) via shuttle
Arrange a private shuttle.

Medway to Bangor, ME via bus (60 miles)
Catch a Cyr Bus. If the timing doesn't work for you, the A.T. Lodge and other shuttlers can take you all the way to Bangor.

Bangor to Washington, DC via airplane
Reagan Airport (in Arlington, VA, just across the Potomac River from DC) seems to work well; there are direct subway (Metrorail) connections (yellow line, then transfer to red line) to Union Station. You can also get a taxi.

American Airlines, non-stop, 2 hours and 5 minutes from Bangor to Reagan/DC, as low as $166, but can be very expensive at other times.

Dulles Airport is the closest to Harpers Ferry but the hardest to get to by public transportation. As noted above, you can get a private shuttle for $100+.

BWI (Baltimore-Washington) has public transportation via the MARC train to Union Station.

OR

Bangor to Portland to Boston via bus or bus/train combo (requires overnight?)
From there you can catch a Greyhound bus or a plane to a DC area airport.

OR

you can travel south 125 miles to Portland, and catch a cheaper MegaBus, or get an Amtrak train to DC.

Recent research on MegaBus, turned up the following (yes, tickets actually are sometimes just $1!)

Portland to Boston, $1 - 23. 1 hr. 55 minutes.
Boston to DC, $15-57, 9 hrs. 46 min, or 10 hrs.

Washington, DC Union Station to Harpers Ferry, WV (65 miles)
MARC Commuter Train (all in late afternoon/evening, weekdays only)
Amtrak (one train late afternoon, daily)

What's lacking in the above is getting from different transportation hubs within the same city, e.g., Cyr Bus terminal in Bangor to the airport or Greyhound station.

Laurie P.
ATC

brewyet
05-06-2015, 08:46
Lauriep Thank you so much for the info. I am NOT having family meet me at Katahdin which is why I am trying to figure out logistics since I will not have a car available.

So basically Katahdin to Harpers Ferry means get to DC and take the Train.

This is looking complicated.

brewyet
05-11-2015, 09:02
What temperature rating for your sleeping bag are you planning on bringing? Starting late April/May seems like I could get away with a 30 or 40 degree bag.

semicolon
05-13-2015, 20:51
What temperature rating for your sleeping bag are you planning on bringing? Starting late April/May seems like I could get away with a 30 or 40 degree bag.

I'm using a 20 degree quilt. But you could probably get by with a 30. I like the flexibility of a warmer quilt and a liner. I use the liner as a sheet and sleep on top of the quilt if it gets too warm. So far so good.

Singto
05-26-2015, 08:20
I have decided that IF I can get on the trail in 2016, it's definitely going to be a flip flop. It makes sooooo much sense to me to do it this way. My only decision right now is where to start my flip flop. Somewhere, someone suggested starting in Waynesboro instead of Harper's ferry because you would start out hiking the relatively easy SNP as you get into better trail shape and work on your trail routine. My only unknown with this right now is what kind of logistics will need to be overcome to do this. No problems with the start, it's only a 5 1/2 hour drive from my hometown...family will do that. But what more does it take to get back to Waynesboro instead of Harper's Ferry from Katahdin...is the question.

FlipFlop2016
08-04-2015, 01:10
I am planning a 2016 flip flop starting around May 1 from Harpers Ferry based on the suggestion of the ATC to avoid the crowds at Springer, better weather, and the very easy accessibility of Harpers Ferry via the Brunswick line of the MARC train from DC ( current schedule available at http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/Brunswick_Jan2015.pdf ). It is cheap and trains run starting early afternoon from Union Station in DC which is accessible via the DC metro on the RED LINE.

If you are taking public transportation into DC and need to get supplies that can't be transported on flights such as fuel, there is a outfitter right by the DC metro stop called Hudson Trail Outfitters (DC metro RED LINE to Tenleytown). Hudson Trail is a locally owned store in the DC area that has been in business for years. I bought my first sleeping bag, tent, and boots there in the early 1980s. They are very supportive of hiking and other outdoor activities in the greater DC area. https://www.hudsontrail.com/

There is also an REI in College Park, MD. The metro does go to College Park, but I really don't know how close they are. There are also high end clothing/outdoors shops like Patagonia in DC.

If anyone is planning to start a NOBO flip flop from Harpers Ferry around May 1, I'd love to connect.

FlipFlop2016
08-04-2015, 01:15
There is also an outfitter in Harpers Ferry. I am not actually sure that it is legal to carry fuel on a train. However, nobody is check at the train station.

caution squid
09-11-2015, 23:56
I am hoping to do a flip flop hike starting in Harper's Ferry around the end of April and early May! I will be heading nobo from there and then travelling back..

HazBen
09-12-2015, 11:28
Hi All fellow 2016 Flip Floppers!
My partner (TowSack) and I are planning to leave from Harpers Ferry with the 2016 Flip Flop Kick Off gang. Will make reservations somewhere as soon as the "official" Flip Flop date is set. Enjoyed our visit at the ATC on August 25th. Thanks Laurie! If it helps any about transportation just to Harpers Ferry we have looked into renting a car one way. That seems to be a good option for now. There is an enterprise rent a car in Charles Town and one in our home town. From Charles Town there are taxi services.

WazoAZ
09-13-2015, 23:09
Hi. I am planning to start at Mt. Rogers NRA Headquarters (Marion, VA) in early to mid-March. I'd like to get an early start. Starting at that in Marion seems like a good place to start a flip flop while allowing maximizing mileage and hopefully arriving to VT after the LT opens/end of mud season. It might even be possible to time things to end up in HF for the Flip Flop Kick Off although it is more liekly I will be in PA by then.

There is Greyhound service to Marion from Knoxville, TN/Tri Cities (TRI airport) and also from Washington, DC. From Marion it is 6 miles to the AT at the Mt. Rogers NRA Headquarters which is just north of Partnership Shelter. The same buses also stop in Wytheville, VA. From there you can access the AT near Bland, VA.

There is adequate shopping in Marion or Wytheville to get things like groceries, Heet, etc. I am not sure the availability of cansiter fuels in either town. Does anyone know about this?

Adagio123
09-22-2015, 07:53
Hi there- I am a retiring special education teacher from Buffalo Public Schools and will be leaving Harpers Ferry on May 1. I am 60 years old and plan on taking it very easy. No more than 10 miles a day for the 1st. month. Currently walking 5 miles a day mostly on a tred mill with pack on. Looking forward to sharing thoughts.

HazBen
09-22-2015, 22:11
Hi there- I am a retiring special education teacher from Buffalo Public Schools and will be leaving Harpers Ferry on May 1. I am 60 years old and plan on taking it very easy. No more than 10 miles a day for the 1st. month. Currently walking 5 miles a day mostly on a tred mill with pack on. Looking forward to sharing thoughts.

Hi Adagio123,
Same here! Retired teacher, 60 years old! My husband and I also plan on taking it very slow to start. We plan on attending the Harpers Ferry 2016 Flip Flop Kick off. The exact date has not yet been set but it will be either late April or around May 1st. You can find more information at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy web site.
Look under the event section.

Www.appalachiantrail.org

climbingbear
09-23-2015, 09:54
I too am starting May 1st and plan to attend the kick off. Hope to see you all there....SciFi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

HazBen
09-23-2015, 19:38
2016 Flip Floppers looks like we are starting to form a pack of hikers! ​EXCITING!

KDogg
09-28-2015, 17:17
Just checked out the Hudson Trail website. They are closing all stores so don't think they are an option for next year. Sad.

Grampsb
09-29-2015, 08:57
There is a hudson Trail store and an REI in Rockville MD on the red line at Whiteflint station. Both stores are within 1-2 miles of the station

FlipFlop2016
09-29-2015, 09:00
Just checked out the Hudson Trail website. They are closing all stores so don't think they are an option for next year. Sad.
That is sad. I got my first backpack there over 30 years ago.

WazoAZ
10-02-2015, 14:07
But what more does it take to get back to Waynesboro instead of Harper's Ferry from Katahdin...is the question.[/QUOTE]

You'd likely have to get a shuttle. There is Greyhound from DC to SW VA (Marion or Wytheville and I think you can get the bus to Roanoke also) and the MegaBus does have a stop in Central VA, again starting in DC. It is a little over 150 miles from Roanoke to Rockfish Gap (Waynesboro), so that could be a decent starting place and one you can get back to. You'd need a shuttle, hitch hike, or some ride from Roanoke to the AT but it is pretty close.

DC is easy to get to - bus, jet, Amtrak - which would be necessary to get to HF via the MARC train or Amtrak from DC.

Az Hiker 2016
10-16-2015, 18:43
I'm also planning a flip-flop hike starting early May 2016 from Harper's Ferry. Would like to find others to maybe group up with.

ekeverette
10-16-2015, 20:48
though I made it to Palmonton PA on my flip/flop, and really don't care to hike back thru rocksavania, the rocks are really aggravating, I would like to start again. It was really a great crowd on the 2015 flip/flop crowd..... I'm ready. Just those damn rocks!!!!!

Pixi
10-17-2015, 20:19
i plan to do a flip flop to avoid the hoopla too! I'm thinking of starting in Southern Shenandoah, hiking NB then back to start and then SB. Planning on a Mid April start. Thinking this would give me plenty of time to get to Katahdin, start on relatively easy terrain and quiet! Whats your plan?

Slo-go'en
10-23-2015, 22:27
though I made it to Palmonton PA on my flip/flop, and really don't care to hike back thru rocksavania, the rocks are really aggravating, I would like to start again. It was really a great crowd on the 2015 flip/flop crowd..... I'm ready. Just those damn rocks!!!!!

The trick to dealing with PA's rocks is to have a shoe with a good stiff sole so that the rocks can't poke through. Ideally by using a nylon 3/4 shank in the sole. And make sure the width of the shoe is correct. You have to do a lot of side stepping in places and that can cause the foot to roll inside the boot which is very annoying.

I wore a pair of Vasque trail runners the last time I hiked PA and the trail tore up both the shoes and my feet. The soles were too soft and flexible and they were too wide. Bad combination. Next time I hike PA (which maybe this coming May) I'll wear a more suitable boot.

clover16
10-24-2015, 08:57
I'm also planning a flip-flop hike starting early May 2016 from Harper's Ferry. Would like to find others to maybe group up with.

Planning the same....willing to group up also.

o hiker guy
10-24-2015, 19:06
I too am going for a flip flop next year but I'm thinking Damascus around the last week of April. Really don't care about trail days so I can be on up the trail before it's over. Plus maybe half the bubble will have gone home by then.

Crestview_hiker
10-24-2015, 21:57
I started my thru hike in 2013 April1 NOBO but had to come off the trail 30 days later. I am again ready to return to complete the whole thing. Considering doing the same thing you are. I am torn between doing that or returning to southern entrance of the Smokies. Any thoughts?

o hiker guy
10-25-2015, 20:26
Crest view, I really don't think I want to start anywhere around the smokies at that time. You could still get snow or freezing temps. That's mostly what I'm trying to avoid. I done a section around Roan mountain last May 1st and it was perfect. Plus there was just the right amount of thru hikers coming thru there to make it more enjoyable .

kdaanen
10-25-2015, 23:11
Hi all,

I have decided to flip flop in 2016 in early to mid-April. Tentatively starting in Waynesboro as well. Originally planned to start in Harper's Ferry, but just learned my daughter is expecting her second child in mid-May. I intend to leave for about a week and return and figured it would be better to continue somewhere in PA than MA. This also might allow me to hit the Flip Flop event. Looking forward to meeting a few people heading in my direction.

squeezebox
10-26-2015, 05:29
Hi all,

I have decided to flip flop in 2016 in early to mid-April. Tentatively starting in Waynesboro as well. Originally planned to start in Harper's Ferry, but just learned my daughter is expecting her second child in mid-May. I intend to leave for about a week and return and figured it would be better to continue somewhere in PA than MA. This also might allow me to hit the Flip Flop event. Looking forward to meeting a few people heading in my direction.

My son showed up on the outside 5 weeks early. Don't get too far away if you leave early.

Kjp
10-28-2015, 11:13
Has anyone flip-flopped and headed south to Georgia for the first 1/2? If they have, I would like to hear about that experience. Thanks!

Odd Man Out
10-28-2015, 11:50
...There is also an REI in College Park, MD. The metro does go to College Park, but I really don't know how close they are. There are also high end clothing/outdoors shops like Patagonia in DC. ...

I know this post is a bit old, but for fun I looked it up. As it turns out, the REI in College Park is at same intersection where I had my first job when I was in High School. A lot has changed since then.

If you wanted to use this to resupply, you would take the Metro to the Greeenbelt station (not College Park). There is a pedestrian underpass and sidewalk to take you to Lackawana St in the neighborhood across the tracks and behind the REI. From there it is 2/3 of a mile walk (one way) to the REI. This is not in the direction of HF, but could be done if needed. The outfitter in HF may be more convenient.

Not mentioned in this thread is the fact that the BWI airport between DC and Baltimore is also convenient. It is a hub for Southwest Air, so that may be a good option for some people. There is a train station at the airport. You can take MARC or Amtrak trains to DC Union Station and from there you catch the train to HF. Another option is to take the express bus from BWI to the Greenbelt Station and then take the Metro to Union Station (with one change to the Red line). You could then walk to REI when changing at Greenbelt.

Odd Man Out
10-28-2015, 12:06
There is also an REI in Rockford MD and that is less than 1/3 of a mile from the Twinbrook Metro Station, which is on the Red Line so not transfers between there and Union Station. Also the Twinbrook Station is just one stop from the Rockville station where the MARC and Amtrak trains to HF stop. So you could take the Metro to Twinbrook, walk to REI, take the Metro one more stop to Rockville, then take the train to HF.

ekeverette
10-28-2015, 14:22
sooo very true, my shoes were to small, because my feet had expanded, and I had soft shoes..... bought some stiff keen boots at that town close to port Clinton, and it was a whole different world.

DCM767
10-29-2015, 21:04
I'm using a 20 degree quilt. But you could probably get by with a 30. I like the flexibility of a warmer quilt and a liner. I use the liner as a sheet and sleep on top of the quilt if it gets too warm. So far so good.

Hello, I saw your post about using a quilt and a liner. I will be using a one man tent. Going to flip flop from Harpers Ferry. Would you mind telling me more about NOT using a confining sleeping bag. Thank so much! David Miller Valdosta, GA

Pappy J
11-02-2015, 14:09
Hello all, Im planning my flip flop hike starting in early March leaving from Brushy Mtn...Northbound, hope too meet you all somewhere along the way.

TheEngineer
12-01-2015, 06:25
Why was the start of May chosen for a flip-flop? Looking at last year's weather at Harper's Ferry May 1, 2015, it was 67 F. May 2 was 74. May 3 79, and May 4 85. For someone from NH (myself), this is really HOT weather hiking, which means shorts and T-shirt (if that).

squeezebox
12-01-2015, 22:10
I'm sure it will happen, talk to Laurie P. about it at ATC. Last year it was great.

jharbison
12-02-2015, 12:51
I really wanted to start at Springer Mtn. sometime around the end of Feb. 2016, but I just can't make that work. So I am considering moire of a Head Start than a true Flip Flop. I am thinking of starting in Western NC at the Pigeon River Bridge (mile 238ish) or Hot Springs (mile 271sh) or Mt. Harbor Hostel (mile 388ish). I have circled mid-March to start. I hope to meet up with some of you guys out there to say "thanks" for all of the knowledge that has been shared here and some of the other forums that I have been lurking around.

For my contribution, I have attached an Excel spreadsheet with the data from AWOL and another schedule I found on this site. I created this to give me an idea of possible flip dates based upon "where" and "when and "AWOL's mileage per day". So many, many variables! My curiosity is about an anticipated date to approach Katahdin instead of an anticipated completion date. If anyone has a different data set from AWOL, I would add that as well.

Slo-go'en
12-02-2015, 13:00
Why was the start of May chosen for a flip-flop? Looking at last year's weather at Harper's Ferry May 1, 2015, it was 67 F. May 2 was 74. May 3 79, and May 4 85. For someone from NH (myself), this is really HOT weather hiking, which means shorts and T-shirt (if that).

Yea, last year was unusually hot for the start of May. It did cool down a week or so later to more seasonable temps. Going from a chilly Northern NH into the oven down south was a bit of a shock to the system.

April, being a transitional month and the last hurrah of winter, the weather can be cold and stormy. But with the changing climate and weather patterns hard to tell what to expect anymore.

UofDoboe
12-08-2015, 20:53
I've been tentatively planning a 2016 flip-flop (WV -> ME, WV -> GA) starting May 1-ish. I'm planning on dropping the "can I get a leave of absence" bomb on work the very beginning of the new year. To make it easiest for them to say 'yes', I have to keep the hike as contained as possible.

I don't know how I've missed this this whole time, but it's dawning on me that per the ATC flip-flip plan, you start from Harper's Ferry May-ish, hit Katahdin mid August, then WAIT and start SOBO from HF after Labor Day for a late November finish. That's 7 months.

I also see a new flip flop on their site I hadn't considered: Pawling NY NOBO in June, hitting Katahdin mid-August, then Pawling SOBO in mid-August for a November finish. The more usual 6 months.

Questions: The Harpers Ferry route the ATC maps out seems drawn out on the north part. What if you get done early & start the SOBO leg earlier than Labor Day - are you going to be hiking that leg alone? The heat probably won't be fun?

The Pawling start is new to me. Anybody see pro's / con's to that? Not sure what the NOBO company will be like (lonely?). And SOBO you'd be with the SOBO thru's?

Slo-go'en
12-08-2015, 22:21
I don't think a May 1st Pawling start is a good idea. It puts you into NH and Maine at about the worst time you could be here. Then if you do manage to get to Kathadin thru all that muck and swarms of black flies, you'll be flipping back into the hottest part of summer where it really bakes.

The main reason for the Pawling start is to avoid encountering the punishing rocks of PA pretty much right out of the gate. But if you do that, you should wait a bit to at least the middle of May to start from there. +/- current weather conditions of course. You'll still pretty much have the trail to yourself.

Reading comprehension: I see where you do say the ATC suggests a June starting time for Pawling.

squeezebox
12-09-2015, 11:10
And there is always the 2 year plan.

mayhemontheat
12-10-2015, 19:36
Good Evening,

It is great to see hikers consider doing a non-traditional hike. I did a standard NOBO in 1993 and 23 years later I am leaving on a flip flop in April 2016. Since I am somewhat local to the Harpers Ferry area I am planning on being in town for the Flip Flop Fest on April 16h 2016, but I am starting on trail April 1 south of Shenandoah and hiking to the festival to hook up with the other flip floppers starting out that weekend heading north to Katahdin.

Starting in the Mid Atlantic has so many points of appeal to me (bubble avoidance, milder weather, good ramp up/acclimatization time before hitting elevation and rocks further north, more authentic experience without crowds, etc.) but can be more logistically challenging as SNP is closed so no waysides, just resupply opportunities at the major road intersections with Skyline Drive (VA 64, 33, 522) so possibly carrying more food initially but well worth it.
If anyone wants to discuss in more detail hit me back – trail name is Mayhem, email is [email protected]
Happy trails!

Sir Setsalot
12-19-2015, 22:32
I just pre ordered my 2016 awol guide to the at 2016. I plan on leaving Harpers Ferry northbound on my Mothers birthdate April 8, 2016. I hope to end my hike on the 2 year anniversary of her death November 2, 2016 at springer mountain. I will probably have to slow down to hit that date.
As did CrestviewHiker I started from springer in 2013 and ended south of the smokies with a knee injury. This time I figure to start flat and get my legs beofre i hit the major climbs.

squeezebox
12-19-2015, 23:47
I just pre ordered my 2016 awol guide to the at 2016. I plan on leaving Harpers Ferry northbound on my Mothers birthdate April 8, 2016. I hope to end my hike on the 2 year anniversary of her death November 2, 2016 at springer mountain. I will probably have to slow down to hit that date.
As did CrestviewHiker I started from springer in 2013 and ended south of the smokies with a knee injury. This time I figure to start flat and get my legs beofre i hit the major climbs.
May your mother help carry you through you hike.

OldTrailDog
12-20-2015, 09:15
We are looking at an approximate April 1st start from south Shenandoah as a flip/flop.

Lauriep
02-07-2016, 13:01
Some exciting things to report:

Planning for the Flip Flop Festival (April 16-17) is gaining momentum! We have a lot of great folks helping, including a of the Class of 2015 flip-flopper, and a Class of 2016 flip-flopper (also GA-ME '93). On Saturday, there will be a lot of short (50-minute) workshops on a variety of topics, and pack shakedowns. This is when we'll have music, food and games, too. Sunday there will an all-in-one intensive thru-hiking workshop by ATC's own Leanna Joyner (as well as a guided history hike and other offerings).

We are encouraging people to split their departure dates between Sunday. April 17 and Monday April 18 so the group leaving Harpers Ferry isn't too big. Last year we had 30, which is the maximum we'd want to see in one day. Ideally, we would keep it to 24 or fewer for each day, and spread hikers out even more. We will still have a kick-off Sunday, April 17, but it will be lower-key than last year. We hope some hikers will stay for Sunday's events and leave Monday.

Check out what we have for the festival so far at www.appalachiantrail.org/flipflop (www.appalachiantrail.org/flipflop. ). We should have more times nailed down in a couple of weeks.

Thru-hiker registration for flip-floppers starting at Harpers Ferry nobo is picking up. Currently there are 13 people who have registered to start from Harpers Ferry nobo between 4/17 and 4/18. Another 8 people are registered in the 2 days prior, and 2 more after who may be attending the festival. In 2015, roughly half of thru-hikers registered, so there will be plenty of flip-floppers around in mid-April. (Can't guarantee that you might be lonely later on, especially if you hike faster than the others).

Spice, a member of the Class of 2015 flip-floppers who participated in the Harpers Ferry kick off, wrote an article about her hike. If you didn't see it in A.T. Journeys (ATC's member magazine), read it here (http://appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/2015-flip-flopper-spice-article-in-atjourneys.pdf?sfvrsn=0). However, keep in mind Spice was a 20-something, and her perspective will be different from an over-50 hiker with knee issues, who may not "enjoy" Pennsylvania, for example.

Can't wait to meet the Flip Flop Class of 2016, and some returning members of 2015 too!

Laurie P.
ATC

Jeff
02-09-2016, 17:38
Great article Laurie...when did Journeys Magazine get mailed out?

Lauriep
02-10-2016, 21:28
Jeff,

The A.T. Journeys winter issue with Spice's article) was mailed in the middle of January. Anyone who's a members should have received it by now.

I'm wondering if there is anyone on this thread is a member because they opted in to that option when registering their 2015 thru-hike?

If anyone on this thread registered for a 2016 thru-hiker, we're still catching up on 2016 registrations from the last couple of months, but we should be up to speed soon.

sfdoc
02-10-2016, 21:53
Jeff,

The A.T. Journeys winter issue with Spice's article) was mailed in the middle of January. Anyone who's a members should have received it by now.

I'm wondering if there is anyone on this thread is a member because they opted in to that option when registering their 2015 thru-hike?
If anyone on this thread registered for a 2016 thru-hiker, we're still catching up on 2016 registrations from the last couple of months, but we should be up to speed soon.

While I did read Spice's article, my decision to do a flip-flop starting at HF is based on circumstances beyond my control and about which I'm not happy. However, her article did allow me to calm down, re-evaluate, and accept this different form of a thru-hike. I'm looking forward to it.

twistwrist
02-16-2016, 22:22
Flip-flopping! Perfect! Your chances of success are better than most!

http://appalachiantrailclarity.com/2016/02/17/why-a-flip-flop-is-more-comfortable/

climbingbear
04-29-2016, 22:00
I'm leaving tomorrow to begin my flip flop from the MD/PA border at Pen Mar, MD on Sunday in a bit of rain. I have high hopes for the adventure I'm starting and I'm a little scared. There's no logic behind it. I'm 52 and just gotten stuck in my old habits. This trip will remake me whatever the outcome. Looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail. I go by SciFi when backpacking. Say hello and let me know that you're on Whiteblaze too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Lauriep
04-30-2016, 14:30
Hey all, I just wanted to clarify something about the ATC 2,000-miler stats page. The numbers on flip-floppers have, understandably, been misinterpreted.

That's because prior to 2015, the vast majority of flip-floppers were thru-hikers who had started in Georgia, and were flipping from Harpers Ferry, not starting there. So, that number of alternative hike completions from 2014 (70 out of 122 photographed) doesn't mean that 57% of starters finished. It only means 57% of those who identified as flip-floppers (most half-way through their hikes) when they were photographed in Harpers Ferry finished. We didn't list a starting number because we had no idea how many flip-floppers started. Most (prior to 2015) started in Georgia as nobos, and probably didn't know themselves they would later turn into flip-floppers. A handful of flip-floppers started in other locations. Even among those who started in Harpers Ferry, a significant number did not get their photos taken at the start of their hikes.

Flip-floppers who start mid-trail do not have a higher success rate than thru-hikers who start in Georgia or Maine.

One thing we are observing (on a casual basis--no data to back it up), as we see more hikers start in Harpers Ferry whose progress we are able to follow, is that older hikers are more likely to have injuries that require a longer recuperation time, or health issues that present serious challenges to long-distance hiking. Older hikers also tend to have more familial responsibilities that pull them off the Trail--spouses, children, grandchildren, or aging parents.

A statistic that I've always found intriguing is that among hikers over 70, about half have hiked the A.T. at least once before. A couple of notable examples: Earl Shaffer, who was the oldest for a while at age 79, was hiking the A.T. for the 3rd time in 1998. The current oldest thru-hiker, "Easy One," was hiking the A.T. for the 5th time when he became the oldest at age 81. Among thru-hikers overall, the percentage of repeaters is something like 5%, give or take a few percentage points.

Anyway, we do need to revise and update the 2,000-miler stats page on our website!

sbrosu
05-09-2016, 18:52
Hi! I am starting my flip flop from the AT train stop on the Harlem line out of NY the first week of June. Easy transportation back after leaving Katahdin. cheers

rkam24
05-10-2016, 02:47
Greetings all:

I am a latecomer to the party, but planning to start from Harper's Ferry on Friday 5/13 or Saturday 5/14. Will be flying into Pittsburgh on 5/11 and heading to WV come weekend. I will be arriving solo so hoping to meet some great people early on. Never been to any part of the AT before, I am looking forward to the experience. Please let me know if you are starting nearby at a similar time.

Cheers,

- Robert

wstatz
05-28-2016, 12:06
Will be starting my flip flop from Harper's Ferry on 1 June. The predicted temps are in the mid-80's. Not my first choice, but since this was the absolute earliest we could start a flip flop made too much sense. This will put us in the middle of the pack of NOBOers who make it to HF, so I anticipate watching a few people pass me on the trail during the first couple of weeks.