PDA

View Full Version : REI Membership worth it????

bears12th
05-04-2015, 23:15
Is it? I know, lots of "how much do you spend" blah blah blah. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bears12th

OCDave
05-04-2015, 23:21
One-time, small fee for a lifetime membership. Yes, it has been worth it several times over.

Hikingmaddie
05-04-2015, 23:39
its 20$ and if you sign up they often offer deals/coupons. i think right now if you sign up and spend 100$ then they give you a 20$ gift card (the price of the membership!) i took the plunge with the membership just a month ago and was able to get a decent sleeping bag for 35$ (which was well over half off). Also memberships get you access to "garage" sales which was an incentive with me. Hear they have really good deals on slightly damaged stuff at those things.

Cotton Terry
05-05-2015, 00:13
I joined several years ago. Smart decision. DO IT!

Feral Bill
05-05-2015, 00:24
If you live near an REI, or far from other outfitters, and you don't feel you need all cottage industry gear, you should join. Buy on sale and you will get prices as good as anybody's.

Acacia
05-05-2015, 02:29
Yes .

Trailweaver
05-05-2015, 02:43
It's a no-brainer.

Rising3agle
05-05-2015, 05:01
agree with the others, definitely worth it. closest one to me is about 2 hours away, but I joined early this year and should have done it long ago.

it's a small, one-time fee that gets you dividends back each year off what you spend - basically always getting 10% off non-sale items. you would have to only spend $200 - ever - to have it pay for itself in savings.

our cottage vendors are awesome, and I choose them over most things at REI (or WalMart, or whatever). But occasionally you just want to walk into a store and walk out with a couple things instead of waiting on the mail. Or buy a cookset or whatever.

only time I would say it's not worth it is if you never go to an REI, never shop their place online - then it would be throwing $20 away and you should probably wait until you do go.

Offshore
05-05-2015, 05:45

Thanks,

Bears12th

Is it worth it to me? Yes. But that doesn't really mean a thing to you (as do any of the other answers in this thread.) Is it worth it to you? Blah, blah, blah.

Sorry, but the answer to your question is dependent on how much you'll spend at REI and whether the other benefits are worth it to you. Sometimes you really just need to do the math.

FreshStart
05-05-2015, 06:17
So worth it. The coupons and sales are great. I just joined 6 months ago and it has paid for itself over and over. DO IT!!!

garlic08
05-05-2015, 07:41
Even though I'm on the cottage industry bandwagon and don't actually shop there any more, I agree with the others that a membership is worth it. I paid the fee once over 30 years ago. The yearly members' coupons alone will eventually pay it off.

FlyFishNut
05-05-2015, 08:12
I put all my travel expenses for work as well as my utilities bills on it instead of drafting from my checking account. Then I pay off at the end of the month.

My dividend was over $630 bucks which is nice.

I second what everyone else said about the coupons, etc. The people that work at the one near me are eager to help and I've gotten to know a few of them from seeing them on the river or trail, etc - so the guys that work at "my" REI are active in the gear they sell.

bill1980
05-05-2015, 08:25
Definitely worth it for me. I recently ordered an Atmos 65 there during the 20% off sale and it came in but was mistakenly put out on the floor. I had received an email that the pack was in and when I came in for it and they determined the error, they scrambled to make sure it hadn't been purchased by someone else. Finding it there, the store manager added another 10% discount, so I was satisfied. Membership pays for itself eventually.

Dufferman
05-05-2015, 08:35
For me it has certainly been worth it. The membership fee is minimal and you will make that up with your first dividend. I don't shop exclusively at REI (I also shop at Moosejaw, cottage industry and other places depending on the item and price), but REI has a good selection and competitive prices. As others have mentioned, you can get good deals during sales too. I've always received good customer service at the store especially with shoe fitting).

Walkintom
05-05-2015, 10:05
Easily worth it.

Rain Man
05-05-2015, 10:23
Joined 39 years ago. Most amazing and worthwhile co-op/store membership of my lifetime. :)

swisscross
05-05-2015, 10:37
Joined 39 years ago. Most amazing and worthwhile co-op/store membership of my lifetime. :)

I joined 31 years ago.
I don't purchase as much as I use to.
The clerks get a kick out of my original paper membership card.

Offshore
05-05-2015, 11:13
I joined 31 years ago.
I don't purchase as much as I use to.
The clerks get a kick out of my original paper membership card.

I've got a card that is not quite that old, but probably close. The folks at the register usually comment that my card is older than they are. I've gotten a few unrequested replacement cards - they must request a replacement at the time of the transaction. The new ones sit in the drawer. I'll carry the old one until it crumbles.

saltysack
05-05-2015, 12:18
Rei card makes a good lt weight duck tape holder...[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JumpMaster Blaster
05-05-2015, 12:21
Definitely worth it. For a mere $20 you get access to the garage sales, the two 20% off coupons can always be put to good use, and most importantly, the best return policy I've seen in years. It also doesn't hurt to get those dividends as well. Yeah, you can go to other online retailers and get lower prices sometimes, but REI will always get my business one way or the other.

Shutterbug
05-05-2015, 13:09

Thanks,

Bears12th

In my opinion, it is worth paying the REI one time fee just for the opportunity to browse the store. I often visit REI just to see what is available.

I will also put in a plug for REI Adventures. My wife and I hiked the Salkanty Inca Trail with REI Adventures. They did a first class job of organizing the adventure. I will definitely schedule other adventures with them.

bamboo bob
05-05-2015, 13:13
Actually the membership is required. Without it most things are overpriced, but really the return policy is what I like. The "cottage " makers can't duplicate that. Although most of my gear is from small makers. REI has great service.

Offshore
05-05-2015, 14:13
Actually the membership is required. Without it most things are overpriced, but really the return policy is what I like. The "cottage " makers can't duplicate that. Although most of my gear is from small makers. REI has great service.

I wouldn't say they are over priced, they are just full-priced. From what I've found, REI prices are pretty much the same as EMS or any other specialty outdoor retailer or outfitter. You generally don't see a lot of price cutting, which may be why people get so excited about a 10 or 20% discount on outdoor gear, but wouldn't give it a second thought when buying general merchandise. REI is also starting to show some nice new designs under their own brand - which can be a nice savings over "national brands". They seem to be balancing lighter weights without sacrificing reliability. A lot of the cottage gear is lighter, but just too fragile.

Also to clarify what Shutterbug said above, you don't need to be an REI Co-op member to browse or purchase from the store or online. Its not like a Costco.

Havana
05-05-2015, 14:20
As Offshore says, REI is full priced. I've often found stuff cheaper on sites like Backcountry, but when you figure in the "dividend" you get back each year the prices are not that much greater and when you then further factor in the bullet proof return policy, REI becomes the no brainer. The only time I shop elsewhere is when I can't find the product I want. Otherwise, they get my money.

Wyoming
05-05-2015, 14:41
Ohh! I might have the oldest membership! 1969 What's my prize? I never win anything.

It is definitely worth it. But there are also good deals elsewhere so always check around.

saltysack
05-05-2015, 15:29
I'm a member...finally got one here in Jax,fl but do order a lot from the goat and Sierra trading post....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
05-05-2015, 17:06
If it were a yearly fee, you could then make an argument that it might not be worth it. But since it is a one time fee, it will be worth it unless you plan to retire from buying gear in the next few years.
REI is not over priced... they are just full price... but then so are many other sporting goods retailers. I would agree that some products that might be discounted elsewhere is unlikely to be discounted at REI. But you eventually get 10% back on everything you pay full price. So to a degree, everything is discounted at REI by 10%, even gear that retailers are not allowed to discount.

Rex Clifton
05-05-2015, 17:37
If your not sure, wait until you're planning to spend $200 (or more) an then join.

Mountain Bluebird
05-05-2015, 18:45
have been a member since 1970. That's 45 years. I think I hold the membership record in this thread--so far. Worth it.

Mountain Bluebird
05-05-2015, 18:52
continued...
Definitely "Worth it" because in 1970 there was no membership fee! :-)

rickb
05-05-2015, 19:30

I bought some lithium AA batteries at the store last week and made a wisecrack about returning them after 50 hours in my flashlight. Poor kid didn't know I was joking-- just said that I had a year.

Membership is worth it, but be careful if it is in your wife's name and she can do the math on how you got the dividend.

jimyjam
05-05-2015, 20:35
I've had my REI Membership for 3 years now. If you apply for and get one of their credit cards they give you a $100 gift card. You can cancel the card anytime. There are a few rules but easy enough. I've had my nephew and a few friends buy things thru my membership and got money back at the end of the year for their purchases too. The credit card gives you a % of dividends too (larger % for REI purchases but can be used on other things like fuel and/or groceries; which helps with gear purchases too). Just a thought...

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Feral Bill
05-05-2015, 20:52
continued...
Definitely "Worth it" because in 1970 there was no membership fee! :-) If I recall, the fee was annual back then. I had a card that expired, and years later those numbers were lost in a fire. Or so they say.

Feral Bill
05-05-2015, 20:54
continued...
Definitely "Worth it" because in 1970 there was no membership fee! :-) If I recall, the fee was annual back then. I had a card that expired, and years later those numbers were lost in a fire. Or so they say.
Wait, I just noticed. Everyone seems to agree on the answer. Could be a Whiteblaze first!

jimyjam
05-06-2015, 15:06
The membership fee is a one time thing. I have been a member for 3 years now and have only paid membership fees once.

teefal
05-06-2015, 19:05
I got memberships for me, my wife, and my 9 year old daughter. I then use all six 20% discounts to boy backpacks, sleeping bag, and tent. Was VERY worth it, within hours of membership. If I could buy my cats memberships, I would.

CarlZ993
05-06-2015, 19:49
I think it is a good deal. On garage sales, you can occasionally get a steal of a deal. Lot of hit or miss on garage sales, though. 20% off coupons on full price is okay, but nothing special. I also use the REI credit card for most of my daily purchases. That helps boost my yearly dividend.

Disclosure: When I walk into one of the REI stores in Austin, the manager says: "Hi, Carl." Me: "Hi, Brian." That is a bad sign. :)

jimyjam
05-06-2015, 23:10
REI also has one of the best return policy's! I had a water filter, the pump kind. I had the filter for about 14-15 months. They gave me full price back and I got a Sawyer squeeze in its place, with a little money back. The policy is 1 year but they didn't even question it being over a year they just took it back because I wasn't happy with it. Great Return and they sale quality stuff!

MuddyWaters
05-07-2015, 00:06
Rei has nothing ive wanted, or needed, or couldnt get much cheaper elsewhere. Other places have lifetime guarantees as well, that they honor.

So for me, no.

10-K
05-07-2015, 16:10
I can walk around REI for hours and not see anything I need but I love the map section.

fwish
05-08-2015, 10:33
Joined about 40 years ago (I think a membership was only $10.00 back then). Paid for itself many times over.

VashFive
05-08-2015, 12:02
adding to sea of YES!