PDA

View Full Version : Favorite part of Shenandoah Ntl Park?

jthue
05-05-2015, 01:33
For those who have hiked Shenandoah National Park,
If you only had time to hike the northern half of the park or the southern half, which would you hike? Which did you enjoy more?

Damn Yankee
05-05-2015, 08:38
You can't go wrong, either way. They're both beautiful.

RED-DOG
05-05-2015, 09:14
i enjoyed the Northern Half way more than the southern half, my advice to you is hike the entire park, it only takes 5 days to hike the park.

johnnybgood
05-05-2015, 09:15
Blue/Yellow blazed trails that take you off the AT are the real gems in Shenandoah .

Pedaling Fool
05-05-2015, 09:20
A cute little waitress serving me a large breakfast of pancakes and eggs with copious amounts of coffee. That's the most beautiful part of SNP.

illabelle
05-05-2015, 09:28
Blue/Yellow blazed trails that take you off the AT are the real gems in Shenandoah .

We haven't been there yet, but I understand that Old Rag is very popular. Maybe next year...

swisscross
05-05-2015, 09:35
A cute little waitress serving me a large breakfast of pancakes and eggs with copious amounts of coffee. That's the most beautiful part of SNP.

Don't remember what my waitress looked like but the stack of buckwheat pancakes I had were divine.
I have only hike a small section of the AT in the park but agree the side trails make SNP.

Deer Hunter
05-05-2015, 11:38
You can't go wrong, either way. They're both beautiful.

+1.........

saltysack
05-05-2015, 12:05
i enjoyed the Northern Half way more than the southern half, my advice to you is hike the entire park, it only takes 5 days to hike the park.

How is the terrain? I haven't looked at topo in a while....easier than Ga-Nc AT? Hoping to do snp this nov or dec....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn Yankee
05-05-2015, 12:07
Plus there are many waterfalls to view.

BobTheBuilder
05-05-2015, 12:24
I just did the whole thing last month. If you had to choose, I would suggest the northern half because:
1. The southernmost section (just north of Waynesboro) is not actually in the park, and is a little rough
2. There are more waysides and stores in the northern section, which are nice
3. The northern half had better views than the southern(completely subjective, I know)

Also, thru hikers do the park in 5 days. Section hikers would be pretty hard-pressed to do 5 straight 20-mile days. I took 7 1/2 days, including a 22-mile last day. Also, the terrain is generally easier than GA or NC. I think the majority of the ascents are around 500 vertical feet per mile, much less than the 1000-1200 ft/mile you see in the rougher sections. Hope that helps.

johnnybgood
05-05-2015, 12:36
How is the terrain? I haven't looked at topo in a while....easier than Ga-Nc AT? Hoping to do snp this nov or dec....

Easier no doubt. If you wait till December better bring microspikes. Winter conditions come early at elevation.

saltysack
05-05-2015, 12:40
Easier no doubt. If you wait till December better bring microspikes. Winter conditions come early at elevation.

Yep...I'll shoot for nov but after hiking the jmt for 2 weeks in sept will prob be hard to get that much time off....

Trillium
05-05-2015, 14:15
I just did the whole thing last month. If you had to choose, I would suggest the northern half because:
1. The southernmost section (just north of Waynesboro) is not actually in the park, and is a little rough
2. There are more waysides and stores in the northern section, which are nice
3. The northern half had better views than the southern(completely subjective, I know)

Also, thru hikers do the park in 5 days. Section hikers would be pretty hard-pressed to do 5 straight 20-mile days. I took 7 1/2 days, including a 22-mile last day. Also, the terrain is generally easier than GA or NC. I think the majority of the ascents are around 500 vertical feet per mile, much less than the 1000-1200 ft/mile you see in the rougher sections. Hope that helps.Thank you for this helpful info. As opposed to posters who seem to lack understanding that most people, save thru-hikers, cannot average 20 mpd much less right out of the box.

Bigfoot86
05-06-2015, 04:38
Big meadows is nice and has lots of side trails and the AT is near

RED-DOG
05-06-2015, 09:13

my favorite part of shenandoah is getting to the northern end and saying GOOD BYE to the park.

Starchild
05-06-2015, 09:58
Either one is great, I did love the interaction with the vacationers and day trippers and the ability to have wayside stops (and carry less weight). One of my favorite sections.

joshuasdad
05-06-2015, 10:04
1) A hearty meal and hot chocolate at Big Meadows after hiking a snowy trail in April.
2) The beer at Skyland the day before.
3) Beer and potato salad from Loft Mountain Campground Campstore
4) Milkshake from Elkwallow Wayside

Or maybe I'm just hungry from hiking with the flip-floppers the past three days...I think I remember some good views from Mary's Rock as well...

shelb
05-06-2015, 23:27
We went from Rockfish Gap to Front Royal (110 miles?) in 9 days.... At that time, myself and my 11 year old son had only one other section under our belt (Maryland - 50 miles), and we brought another woman and her 12 year old son - both of whom had no AT experience (heck, she had never strapped on a backpack before!).

We loved:
Beer is cheaper than pop! Try the Yuengling!
Cheeseburgers at Big Meadows
Breakfast at Skyland
Blackberry Shakes at Elkwallow Wayside
- A shower at Lewis Mountain Campground store - can't remember where that fell into the above locations, but it was the only shower in 9 days - and was awesome!

Our trip was during a heat wave at the end of July a few years ago.- hit 99 degrees at the Waysides on thermometer... heat index was 115. We actually had a ranger stop us at a road crossing and ask us to get off the trail. I laughed and said, "sure - my vehicle is 50 miles north - we will continue toward it and get off when we reach it." He gave us each a gatorade and wished us luck!