PDA

View Full Version : GSO or ATL

bemental
05-06-2015, 10:22
Hello everyone,

I started my thru hike in March and got from the approach trail to Fontana dam. I had to hop off trail to take care of life, as it happens. I'm finally able to get back on trail and I'm flying down from Maine and wanted to see what would be the better option: fly into Greensboro, or Atlanta?

My gut tells me they'll be more rides in shuttles from Atlanta, but it appears that Greensboro is closer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

bemental.me

bemental
05-06-2015, 10:27
Make that Greenville, not Greensboro.

Thanks

bemental.me

TNhiker
05-06-2015, 11:00
Where are ya trying to get to? Fontana?

if that's the case---I'd fly into knoxville....

saltysack
05-06-2015, 11:11
If u need a ride call Donna at cabin in the woods...reasonable,kind and dependable...
(828) 735-1930

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Viking
05-06-2015, 16:09
Knoxville or Asheville would be closer. Plus many AT shuttle services work those airports. Anything north of I-40, I would fly into Tri-Cities (Blountville/Kingsport) airport.

Greenville would only work if you were doing the Foothills Trail

RED-DOG
05-06-2015, 16:14
to me it would make better since to do a southbound since you're already in maine.

bemental
05-06-2015, 16:29
to me it would make better since to do a southbound since you're already in maine.

Red is the winner,

Looks like I've settled on the "Head-Start from NY/CT North" variant from the ATC "When and Where to Start" page. I'll get dropped off just north of Pawling, NY and start walking north, whereupon arrival at Baxter we'll drive south again, get dropped off at Pawling once more and walk south to Fontana.

One of the reasons I had to get off trail were for anxiety issues related to PTSD - too many people in the initial hiker bubble for me. Hopefully this odd sort of flippity flop may just work out in the end.

Something to keep in mind for other vets out there with similar disabilities.

WingedMonkey
05-06-2015, 18:19
Red is the winner,

Looks like I've settled on the "Head-Start from NY/CT North" variant from the ATC "When and Where to Start" page. I'll get dropped off just north of Pawling, NY and start walking north, whereupon arrival at Baxter we'll drive south again, get dropped off at Pawling once more and walk south to Fontana.

One of the reasons I had to get off trail were for anxiety issues related to PTSD - too many people in the initial hiker bubble for me. Hopefully this odd sort of flippity flop may just work out in the end.

Something to keep in mind for other vets out there with similar disabilities.

With or without the dog?

bemental
05-06-2015, 19:06
With or without the dog?

Someone who remembers our previous troubles?

Service dog will be coming with. Luckily(?) our problems previously weren't hiking-related, but behavioral. With training, advice and experience behind us on how to better handle what we encountered, I suspect round II to be much more manageable.

WingedMonkey
05-06-2015, 19:42
Someone who remembers our previous troubles?

Service dog will be coming with. Luckily(?) our problems previously weren't hiking-related, but behavioral. With training, advice and experience behind us on how to better handle what we encountered, I suspect round II to be much more manageable.

Happy Trails....

:sun