PDA

View Full Version : Cold-weather gear list?

gsingjane
11-10-2005, 20:59
Hi, we are hoping to be hiking on the AT for our first-ever "colder" hike this weekend. I expect the daytime temps to be in the high '40's and the night-time temps to be in the low '30's or high '20's. What suggestions do you have for gear adaptations? Or other general cold-weather tips? We are planning to take layers of fleece and windproof outer layers, capilene underwear, extra socks, dry shirts for in-camp wear, hats and gloves, and bag liners for the kids (the bags are 20 degree-rated but after innumerable washings and squishings, I'm not sure they're quite that warm anymore). We are also bringing extra high-calorie and fat foods. I am a cold sleeper, my son is a hot sleeper, and my daughter is in-between.

Many thanks,

Jane in CT

orangebug
11-10-2005, 21:28
You didn't finish up the sleep system by letting us know if you are using tent, tart, hammock or shelter. Each have their benefits and problems in cold weather backpacking.

I'd encourage you to add balacava or neck gaiters to aid during the day and at bed. Gloves are important, especially to keep fingers dry and warm. Consider glove liners, mittens and some sort of over mit/waterproof glove.

In case the weather gets very cold, consider bringing some bread bags to gerry rig vapor barrier gloves or socks.

A thermometer is fun in the cold while enjoying hot cocoa and the fire.

gsingjane
11-10-2005, 21:38
Oops, sorry. We are planning to use our 3-season REI Taj 3 tent with full rain fly (it's mostly mesh otherwise). I think the shelters will be pretty empty but I thought it would be better to let the body heat build up inside of the tent instead... prior Girl Scout experience in large platform tents with weather in the '30's showed me that the body heat just flies right off into those wide-open spaces. Neck gaiters are going in the bag now. Extra gloves, too. Bread bags, I'll bring. What else (this is assuming I can lift my pack out of the car trunk!)?

Jane

hikerjohnd
11-10-2005, 21:50
Maybe a little extra fuel... I found a Nalgene hot water bottle to be a wonderful addition to a cold nite. Just boil the water, secure the lid and it will stay pretty warm all night long! It may be the boost you need to stay cozy. Have fun! :clap:clap:clap

Skidsteer
11-10-2005, 21:52
In addition to OB's excellent tips, I would add that if your children are young( I don't recall seeing their ages in your post ), it is particularly important to monitor how cold they feel. Kids, even in their late teens, seem to postpone putting on more layers when needed, or , instead of starting to add layers from the skin out, will tend to put their jacket on first. Then, if they become colder still, they must take off the outer layers in order to put on their base layers, thus losing precious heat. Come to think of it, adults make this mistake occasionally as well.:D Remember: it is easier to stay warm than to get warm! Cheers and enjoy the hike.

SteveJ
11-10-2005, 22:04
not necessarily a light item, but I always throw 6 or 8 'hand-warmers' in my pack when camping with my kids in colder weather. My youngest son will go to sleep happy cuddling a handwarmer......

alanthealan
11-11-2005, 00:38
Down camp booties.... heaven:sun

The Solemates
11-11-2005, 11:26
For lows in the high 20s, I would take:

convertible pants
rain pants

capilene shirt
midweight fleece
fleece jacket
rain jacket