PDA

View Full Version : shelters in VA

misterfloyd
05-06-2015, 20:08
Trying to find out as much info about the trail in Va beginning in Damascus going north.

How is the water at this point? I know this is subject to change very quickly as we move into summer. Also are there any cables or poles at any shelters? I'm going by awols guide and don't see it. I can hang a good bag but if I know a place has the above I will eekk out as late as possible.

I have contacted the trail maintaining clubs in the area and have yet to hear from them yet.

Any info is appreciated and welcome.

Best
Floyd

saltysack
05-06-2015, 20:18
Been a few years...did the 40 miles south bound into Damascus....still my favorite section to date....don't recall any bear cables but then again I sleep with my grub....enjoy...I'm hoping to take my 9 yr old son on this hike soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnybgood
05-06-2015, 20:39
Spring rains coupled with late winter snow has the water table looking really good...for now. As is always the case our rainfall diminishes by June , and so does the reliable water sources along the trail. Bear cables are slim to none until the Blue Ridge Parkway and in Shenandoah Nat'l Park .

bigcranky
05-06-2015, 22:10
Plenty of water in Grayson Highlands this past weekend.

I don't recall bear poles at any shelters. Most folks hang.

Virginia is a nice section. Good views, interesting trail, some great little towns.

misprof
05-07-2015, 03:35
The Maupin Shelter near Reeds Gap has Bear hangers at the shelter and at the camping area right off the trail.

misterfloyd
05-07-2015, 08:43
Thanks folks,

Bear hang- no problem. Just needed to know.

Hope the water table stays good from June-July.

Thanks for the help and replies.
Best
Floyd