PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Hostels

attroll
05-06-2015, 21:33
Here is a listing of Appalachian Trail Hostels for those using Tapatalk and Forumrunner.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/hostels.php

blazercoach
07-28-2015, 00:33
Heads up on Mountain Crossing at Neels Gap. My son and I just got there after a 3.5 day hike from Amicalola. We were devastated to arrive and be told that the hostel part of Mountain Crossing was closed for renovation. Imagine the Hobbits arriving in Rivendell only to find out that there were no beds. While there are cabins about a quarter mile away (with no laundry or groceries) and camping a few hundred yards up the trail, there were no beds available here in late July. If you are planning to stay there in the next couple of weeks, call ahead to see when they plan to re-open the beds.

Secondly, the NOC........might be kind of hard to just pop in as a thru-hiker. The Basecamp is full of church groups and boy scouts leaving little to no room for actual hikers in "the place where hikers stay." Two of us tried to stay there (last night) and they said they could only put us in a 4-person room for a 4-person rate. I'd like to see the ratio of hikers:non-hikers that actually stay there. I'm skeptical.

Lone Wolf
07-28-2015, 07:00
Secondly, the NOC........might be kind of hard to just pop in as a thru-hiker. The Basecamp is full of church groups and boy scouts leaving little to no room for actual hikers in "the place where hikers stay." Two of us tried to stay there (last night) and they said they could only put us in a 4-person room for a 4-person rate. I'd like to see the ratio of hikers:non-hikers that actually stay there. I'm skeptical.
95% of their business are rafters/boaters. hikers aren't special. they cater to big groups

shelb
07-28-2015, 23:56
Thank you!!! This is awesome!